Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board Recommendation with Burton Step Ons

Poster: A snowHead
Absolut snow email notifying step ons are in stock
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're dead set on Step ons, then Absolute-Snow.com are selling Step On limited release Photon boots with bindings - but most sizes now gone.

You can also get the limited release Photon boots with bindings from Burton UK and EU websites right now. The full release (at which time you'll also be able to buy the Ion and Swath boots) will be 11th November I believe. If you want step ons, I would buy now now now. Photons are stiffer end of mid flex (I bought some non-step on Photons and am a beginner and they're fine for me). Ions will probably be too stiff so you don't want those. Swath will be softer than Photons, but still mid flex.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TSA are also saying they have some Step Ons dropping too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I did check out the range earlier, but they only have the Photon's and I was erring towards the Swath, as the feedback from this thread (and what I've been reading) suggests the Photon could be a bit to bit a jump for my level at the mo.

What's interesting is that for the first time, you can now buy the boots and bindings separately (makes sense as I presume now they've allowed other manufacturers to produce boots this was inevitable).

Also, it seems Burton do free returns, so if you got the sizing wrong you could always send them back (if you don't wear them other than to try on of course).

So may hold off for now, but keep an eye open in a month's time while I carry on reading all the reviews I can find!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I believe the Burton website sold them separately last year too. Yes I can confirm they take free returns. I bought Ruler and Photon wide boots and returned the Rulers as I decided on the Photons. They are a little more stiff compared to the Rulers (which aren't too dissimilar to the Swath), but even though I'm a beginner (only ever boarded on the Chill Factore slope) I'm finding them to be absolutely great and not "too difficult" for my lowly level. I'm 6"0 78kg btw, so not a big guy. I would recommend them as the Boas are really good (and not as flimsy as other companies' Boa cables as they use the same climbing rope as their Speedzone laces).

Full release 4th November btw, I was incorrect in my earlier post.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Self bootfit will highly likely fail .
Why needs a long post..... common sense needs a couple of words as above .

Burton does true half sizes I would look at getting bootfit sizing help too get it more right than wrong as it is a complex learning curve and personal fit tolerance is individual .
Without increased ride time i think your paving a long road with self fit .
I went about 12 pairs 12 seasons roughly .

My first thought was this guy is talking uk shoes sizes buying new expensive priority alpine boots ....he is on the wrong page

Choosing to wait for the softer flex boot model going by the OP,s description of his riding seems he has made the right decision .
Have to say even though a entry rider the OP does seem well spoken and astute ... hes trying its not easy .

The real important thing with these stepins is the mechanical heel lockdown this is going to change the whole bootbinding game as we know it .
The ease of stepin feature is nothing new the heel hold is a major point .

http://youtube.com/v/U9p8piIGhgw

Where the boot heel is held mechanically this is similar..... lets say similar at this point....... to hardboot bindings or ski bindings .
This will be big news intergrated into any soft strap bindings .... not just stepins .
Burton could do it next .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would not normally recommend self bootfit generally, but have had bad experiences with even shops fitting properly (not recognising my wide feet made me upsize to a 13 in order to accommodate my feet width, when in reality I should have gone for wide boots and downsized to 11). There is a guy on the snowboarding forums who's a professional boot fitter in the US who gave me the best advice. How to calculate your foot width and Mondo size properly, which boots on the market accommodate that specific width (only two boots on the market are the correct EEE width for my feet). I took boots bought online having tried them on and made sure they were the right size, got them heat fitted and got aftermarket insoles to improve the fit/feel. Now they're perfect.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-09-19 22:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes exactly the op should follow up in more detail
First thing is forget uk sizing numbers only use mm/cm for feet and boots and get measured up accurately in mm.

My path was very similar to karasraf except earlier so less online input .
All dozen pairs were shop sized .

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 5-01-20 1:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool thanks for the pointers @Tirol 164, in Mondo sizing I'm 26, which I believe roughly equates to a UK 7 / Euro 40-41, but yep totally appreciate Mondo is better than shoe size for this.

Also, I have got custom insoles (and heat fitting) at Pro Feet in the past, which seemed to work pretty well, for boots (of any sort) I'd always go down that route. Albeit that was for Burton Moto's, which other's have suggested aren't the best comparable (also 5cm to big, I got Mondo size 26.5 at the time, but have worn Mondo 26's renting since, which feel right based on the descriptions I've read on-line about feel/movement within the boot etc).

I'm under no illusion shop fitting would be ideal of course!

No rush though, the next release is 4th November, so I'll keep researching away and see what other options come up over the next month.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @vjmehra for starting this post. A lot of useful information here, even for female riders. Wow, Step Ons are so cool! The guy at the shop said though that they were meant for intermediate riders upwards so perhaps not for me at the moment... but something to aspire to perhaps in the future! Cool I can see Step Ons as the next revolution in snowboarding! Will definitely attract more people to give it a go... snowHead Good luck and let us know how you get on when you finally get your Step Ons @vjmehra! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Thanks @vjmehra for starting this post.

@aewynia, at least someone enjoyed it, can't say I did all the way through, ha!

But I agree I've learnt a lot and most people on here are pretty helpful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting that the bindings are being sold separately now - gets more appealing for me. I usually switch board half way through the day and cant be bothered trying to swap bindings in a car park.

Would still want to properly demo them before committing though. Really like the NOW bindings for comfort and response, but they look interesting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Burton come to all the snow domes in the UK to allow demos of their gear including Step Ons about once a year. They were at Chill Factore in Manchester about 6 weeks ago. I'm sure they do this in most countries they operate in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@vjmehra, @karansaraf, has good advice. Seek on the guy on thesnowboardingforum.
IIRC you take a print out & then upload photos of your feet on them & he helps you from there.

If you really want to invest, then you could maybe arrange a trip to a flagship store. The one in innsbruck being the daddy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Make sure you go to a store and spend a lot of time trying the boots on. Be 100% sure they are comfortable before buying.

As has been said here before, different manufacturers have different last shapes.
For example, I have a size 10 salomon boot which fits great, but my last pair was k2 in a 10.5. Vans, 32, and forum boots were all simply too roomy for my foot shape. Last season I really loved the look of some Adidas boots, but trying them on, I knew they were not right for me, so no point buying.

The step on system will be great IF AND ONLY IF the Burton boot shape suits your feet. If the shape doesn't suit your feet any time you save on the hill thanks to the clip in feature will be negated by time spent adjusting painful boots.

It's your choice, but do consider that
1. £600 will easily buy you nice boots, nice bindings, PLUS a decent board AND you'd have change left over for enough 1 to 1 tuition that will raise your riding experience and skills to a level where binding clip in time won't be a consideration.
2. Say one of your bindings breaks. Do you have enough confidence in burton warranty system (I'm sure it's great) or are you comfortable with possibly having to buy new boots and bindings all over again?
3. Have you looked at alternative quick entry bindings such as flow?

As for board recommendations, the nitro prime and ride control are on glisshop at a decent discount
ski holidays
@karansaraf, @Mr.Egg, @johndiamond, some awesome tips there, much appreciated!

Its probably not that much longer to Innsbruck than Hemel for me too (maybe not quite literally wink
snow report
Tirol 164 wrote:

The real important thing with these stepins is the mechanical heel lockdown this is going to change the whole bootbinding game as we know it .
The ease of stepin feature is nothing new the heel hold is a major point .

we'll see it soon at some major competition. Will we see the main Burton atletes like Scotty James, Mark McMorris, Dany Davis etc. in step on's.? Not so sure.
snow report
vjmehra wrote:
@karansaraf, @Mr.Egg, @johndiamond, some awesome tips there, much appreciated!

Its probably not that much longer to Innsbruck than Hemel for me too (maybe not quite literally wink

There is a test weekend @ Stubai glacier coming up
https://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/stubai-live/events/events/article/sportscheck-glacier-testival/

You could also contact Burton directly to see if they have any tests planned in the UK. I have always found them helpful.
They even told me what time Step-Ons was going on sale when they first got released. I checked 5mins after my purchase & 95% was already sold out.
latest report
@kosmoz,
DC Shoes have already struck a deal with Burton & will release Step On Boots for 20/21 season
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
@kosmoz,
DC Shoes have already struck a deal with Burton & will release Step On Boots for 20/21 season

and spring comes after winter, tell me what I didn't know already Laughing

speaking performance, heel lock from step-on + regular strap would be exceptional. For someone into pure performance that wouldn't be too complicated. Prototypes for top athletes for example.
snow conditions
vjmehra wrote:
Cool thanks for the pointers @Tirol 164, in Mondo sizing I'm 26, which I believe roughly equates to a UK 7 / Euro 40-41, but yep totally appreciate Mondo is better than shoe size for this.

Also, I have got custom insoles (and heat fitting) at Pro Feet in the past, which seemed to work pretty well, for boots (of any sort) I'd always go down that route. Albeit that was for Burton Moto's, which other's have suggested aren't the best comparable (also 5cm to big, I got Mondo size 26.5 at the time, but have worn Mondo 26's renting since, which feel right based on the descriptions I've read on-line about feel/movement within the boot etc).

I'm under no illusion shop fitting would be ideal of course!

No rush though, the next release is 4th November, so I'll keep researching away and see what other options come up over the next month.

Both my wife and I went straight in last year at our actual shoe size. For both of us the fit was spot on. I have flat feet on the slightly wider side and even with this the boots are very comfortable. The only issue I have is due to my flat foot I have a pinch point on my left heel that actually squeezes the J-hook padding against nerves that are out of usual routing due to my foot being completely flat. After a weeks riding last year this had the issue of causing 2 toes to lose feeling for about a week, but now have some custom insoles and will be making an adjustment to the left foot inner j-hook padding.

Overall my view on this would be if you want to get in to the boots this year, order through Burton, order truefit size and Burton last year assured me if I needed any size adjustment that I could return the boots. When we went to the local store to buy our boards, we managed to get the boots heat moulded as well.
ski holidays
StepOn range for this season are now available. Including wide fit.
snow conditions
Have to say I am amazed at the positive response these step ins are getting, especially at the prices being quoted.
snow report
So slightly apprehensively...here is a brief summary of my initial experience with Step ons...this is purely to help any others considering them, before all the haters on this thread decide to pile in!

So, after umming and arring a lot, I decided to take the plunge and bought the (softer) Swath boots / Step On bundle directly from Burton (they do free returns, so it seemed fairly risk free to me).

I'm sure everyone who's interested has seen the un-boxing etc. on Youtube, but they come with dedicated bags, with a small bag for the binding that clips onto the bigger boot bag (which is a backpack too).

In terms of fit, straight out of the box they were a fraction tight, which I took to be a good thing, as I'd opted for the same size rental's I'd normally go for and expected them to feel snug prior to heat moulding etc.

In order to break them in, I wore them around the house for a few hours, then took them to Profeet in Fulham to get the liners heat moulded and custom insoles made, after that they felt comfortable immediately.

Now in terms of the board, again after lots of umming and arring I opted for the Burton Ripcord. In all honesty, the biggest factor was the flat profile, as a lot of recommendations on here were for other camber profiles, which for whatever reason I have struggled with in the past, so I decided to go for safety fist and also the price point for the Ripcord felt very reasonable. Additionally a lot of the sensible recommendations on here simply weren't available in the size I wanted (I went for the 154 in the end, deciding not to go to short following the feedback on here).

The next challenge was remembering how to board, as I haven't ridden at all for about 2 years, didn't have the best start as I fell off the first drag lift about 3/4 of the way up, but no harm done and luckily that didn't happen again!

In terms of riding, my first few runs were unsurprisingly sketchy, with quite a bit of upper body rotation and back foot steering, but that was down to me, rather than the board and it got a bit smoother as the week went on and I got into a better rhythm.

I'm no expert rider, so not best placed to comment on board performance, but the combo seemed to work for me, it appeared to provide exactly what I was looking for, a board / binding combo that allowed me to engage turns without seeming to take an age and fairly forgiving. For whatever reason my struggles with the Salomon Pulse didn't resurface here, so that at least is a good thing (presumably the flat camber profile, being similar to the rental's I've ridden helped here).

Now as for the Step On specific elements..

Firstly stepping on itself, the front foot is easy, but the back foot can be a bit irritating, if you're not on a flat bit of ground, you slide all over the place and on a couple of occasions I actually found it easier to just sit down and do it, ha!

If you do find a flat bit, even then, it can be a bit of a struggle to get in, I was very rarely able to replicate the speed and ease shown in the Youtube videos...however I did get better with practice and I assume in time it will become easier.

A couple of things I noticed, were that firstly I very rarely heard the 'second click' you're supposed to hear, I did on occasions, but most of the time I didn't, yet I am 99% sure I was fully locked in as I didn't notice any movement, so I assume that quite often the second front cleat and second click on the back cleat are simultaneous! Secondly, I found sitting down wasn't that big an issue, a few video's have stated that getting into the bindings whilst sitting is tricky, but I simply got in place, pulled the board towards me and that seemed to work (obviously this kind of defeats the purpose of step ons, but it's useful to have as a backup).

In terms of getting out, this again seemed a bit of a faff, sometimes I would pull the leaver and step out relatively easily, sometimes I just couldn't seem to break free of the binding. I thought I'd cracked it, but then struggled again on the last day, but again I presume in time it will probably get easier.

Going back to riding, I never heard the 'clicking sound', other than the very first time I put them on. I could engineer it (i.e. deliberately moving in such a way to make the sound), but I didn't hear it once when actually in motion.

So in summary:

Getting into the bindings is a bit of a faff, but I assume will get better
Getting out of the bindings is a bit of a faff, but I assume will get better
Riding was absolutely fine

Interestingly, the guy who does the house.com video's has the same setup as me, so I'm going to watch his video's throughout the season and see if I can pick up any tips, but overall, I'd say so far the Step On's aren't life changing and so far are only quicker on perfectly flat terrain. It is easier to step in, than strap in, when standing, but probably not worth switching for anyone thats proficient.

As I had no gear prior to purchase I'm happy with the equipment, but I don't see a lot of upside (so far) for those that already have gear they are happy with. For me the boots felt super comfortable and not remotely stiff (they aren't stiff boots, but I previously had Moto's, so these are sort of my first non-beginner boot I guess), I didn't ever ride for any mammoth sessions, but didn't feel at any point like I couldn't carry on if I had wanted to. Conditions were reasonable, with decent snow on a few days and no horrible icy days, so I can't comment on how the setup would perform in bad conditions, but I was happy enough in decent(ish) conditions, but with the caveat I am a low level rider, so others may notice more subtle performance issues that I didn't pick up on.

That said, after my next trip, hopefully I get better at stepping in/out and will report back on my progress.

Hopefully others will find this useful, feel free to ask any questions, whilst its fresh in my mind!
snow conditions
@vjmehra, thanks for coming back and sharing, it's really interesting seeing a real persons experience. Did you ever "forget" that you were wearing step-ons and just ride? Very Happy
ski holidays
to get out, lift your heel & twist your foot in & heel out, this should disengage the outside clip on the toe.
stepping in, get the heel lined up & in, then roll the front foot side to side to engage the toe clips.
There is a knack to both, but hopefully you will find it an easier method.

The bag's sound good. Cant remember my ones coming with anything like that (3rd year owner).
As for the wondering if the heel is engaged or not, you will know if not! I still had the original cleats when I first used mine. Twice my foot lifted out of the bindings.
No issues with replacement cleats though & Burton got them mailed out very quickly once the problem was identified.
ski holidays
Quote:

@vjmehra, thanks for coming back and sharing, it's really interesting seeing a real persons experience. Did you ever "forget" that you were wearing step-ons and just ride?

@Robin Agogo, tbh the whole time!

Other than stepping on/off I didn't really feel any different (but as I say I am a low level rider, I'm sure those more performance orientated may be able to appreciate the subtleties more).

Its possible they were more responsive, but I'm just not confident enough in my own ability to judge, what was me, the decent conditions or the bindings.

What I was really pleased about, was that from the first moment I set off on the very first run, I did my first turn and then any concerns about popping out etc were gone and I didn't think about it at all!

Actually the only time it did cross my mind was on an old style chairlift which had no foot rest, I did wonder if they were designed for that kind of force, so rested the board on my other foot the whole time (which was more comfortable anyway). They probably did test that kind of thing of course, but it did cross my mind, that perhaps that wasn't in the design brief (however unlikely)!
ski holidays
Quote:

to get out, lift your heel & twist your foot in & heel out, this should disengage the outside clip on the toe.
stepping in, get the heel lined up & in, then roll the front foot side to side to engage the toe clips.
There is a knack to both, but hopefully you will find it an easier method.

Cool, thats what I was trying to do, as you say there's a knack and I think it will come in time, I'm not too disheartened, I should improve over time hopefully Happy

Quote:

The bag's sound good. Cant remember my ones coming with anything like that (3rd year owner).
As for the wondering if the heel is engaged or not, you will know if not! I still had the original cleats when I first used mine. Twice my foot lifted out of the bindings.
No issues with replacement cleats though & Burton got them mailed out very quickly once the problem was identified.

The bags are handy, or at least the boot bag, not sure how much use the binding bag will get, but coming with a boot bag is handy!

Ah, I never felt disengaged at all, I am 99% sure I was always secure as I never felt close to popping out and never had any doubts when riding, so I think its just that the second click for whatever reason is quiet, or somehow I didn't notice it most of the time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Intrigued as to why they give you binding bags - Do they recommend unmounting the bindings for transport?
latest report
@vjmehra, nice, so it's really just going to become your new normal
latest report
[quote="vjmehra"]
Quote:

Ah, I never felt disengaged at all, I am 99% sure I was always secure as I never felt close to popping out and never had any doubts when riding, so I think its just that the second click for whatever reason is quiet, or somehow I didn't notice it most of the time!

I think the clicking comes from the original cleats. Left is the original that used to disengage & the right is the replacement sent out a few weeks after the StepOns original release in 2017
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Intrigued as to why they give you binding bags - Do they recommend unmounting the bindings for transport?

So you can rent a board & use your own bindings Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

@vjmehra, nice, so it's really just going to become your new normal

@Robin Agogo, yeah, tbh feels normal already when riding, so pretty happy, just need to get used to the on/off bit Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I think the clicking comes from the original cleats. Left is the original that used to disengage & the right is the replacement sent out a few weeks after the StepOns original release in 2017

@Mr.Egg, ah cool thanks for the comparison, its quite interesting to see the (very) subtle difference in shape!
latest report
Took delivery of my first step ins this morning and the bindings are now mounted on the freshly waxed board ready for Morzine next weekend!

They seem easy enough to get in and out of at home but I wonder if they'll give me any trouble when the binding gets packed with snow?
snow report
Quote:

They seem easy enough to get in and out of at home but I wonder if they'll give me any trouble when the binding gets packed with snow?

That didn't seem to be an issue at all tbh, obviously if you can see a ton of snow on there wipe it off as you would with strap bindings, but I had no issues at all with snow/ice build up last week.
snow report
@vjmehra, yeah I always rake out as much snow as I can with my hand with strap ins, but it gets fairly well packed in sometimes! Could possibly carry a screwdriver to break it out and risk impaling myself on it when I fall...
ski holidays
Quote:

@vjmehra, yeah I always rake out as much snow as I can with my hand with strap ins, but it gets fairly well packed in sometimes! Could possibly carry a screwdriver to break it out and risk impaling myself on it when I fall...

I do actually carry a screwdriver with me as it happens (but one of those small ones where you store the head inside, so the chances of impaling are reduced Happy, I'm always paranoid about binding screws coming loose!
snow conditions
Aye there's little point in a leash when the bindings are still strapped on and your board is hurting down a hill!
snow report
Taught my first lesson with a client who used these the other day. I'm impressed. She was fairly early on in her riding, so didn't manage to get strapped in well (stepped in well?) at the top of the beginner slope where we have a slight incline. Solution was to stick the board in some deeper, unpisted snow at the edge.

She was very quickly just stamping her back foot in and riding away. Can't wait until these become cheap enough to use as regular rentals in group lessons.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy