Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board Recommendation with Burton Step Ons

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

1. you won't find last season step-ons on sale, they were all sold in 5 minutes, very limited supply and high demand.

e-bay would disagree...not many I grant you, but even factoring in postage costs from the US, they'd still be cheaper than this season's models. So it is possible (albeit I may struggle to find my size available)!

However, if they're so rubbish, how come they're always sold out?

Quote:

2. in almost any smaller french ski resort you will be skiing in the same bowl/valley with your family.

Yep, but you conveniently ignored my point about accommodation, value for money is still better (for what we specifically want...that may not be the same for you) in Poland (although I concede its actually pretty marginal now. However as I also previously mentioned we go for a number of reasons, including meeting up with friends and family (also the activities for children are pretty good compared to most places, soft play in virtually every hotel etc.)

Quote:

3. been to ukraine, bukovel, it was nice for a newbie for first three days (my first ever snowboarding holidays). I was bored on the 4th day, same few runs, crowd at the lines. Only food/beer prices were and still are very good. Same with poland. Every year same thing, 20 minutes lines on main lifts. I use ski tracking app, calculates everything, on last trip to 3valleys over 6 days I waited at the lift lines 40 minutes in total. End of January.

I don't disagree with you here, I've already said I wouldn't recommend Poland as a ski destination to anyone who wants a ski holiday. Its a trip to the mountains, with a bit of skiing or boarding. I've never suggested otherwise.

Quote:

4. back to burton, every boot manufacturer makes their boots for a different feet form. There is no better or worse boots, they simply fit you or do not fit you. Features can wait, fit is the most important thing. if your feet is "burton compatible", than it's your call get regular or step on.

Yep, a fair point and one I have considered. Luckily with renting different boots are easier to try than boards, so I'm fine with Burton boots (the last boots I owned were actually Burton too as it happens).

Quote:

5. Don't see why you make such a deal of strapping in when riding so little. If you ride so little you can wear anything, even crocs, that won't be an issue. You can ride a bus/train standing for a few stops or take a nap on a chair, but you will appreciate comfy captain chairs on a long road trip and good mattress in your bedroom.

a) Because I want to
b) If I am going to buy my own gear, why not buy them for (in the grand scheme of ski/snowboarding gear) not that much of a bigger cash outlay?
c) Why does it bug you so much? Maybe its paying a premium for a fractional gain in convenience, but isn't that the entire point of having your own gear?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Buying online, without trying out, very wise Very Happy 7 times out of 10 wrong size, 99 times out of 100 less than optimal fit. Limited supply, this is why sold out. Only the biggest shops got them. On ebay there is 3 sets of burton ion with bindings, none of your size, a few sets of women boots also. Not much, to say the least.
2. If there is no value you can't calculate value for money. Try dividing zero from any number on calculator, you'll get an error.
3. Montains in Poland? Never heard of them. Did Poland make Putins move and occupied part of the Alps?
4. you owned burton moto's, which realistically are a thick sock, not a boot. Will fit anything you throw at them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You didn't answer number 5...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might just chip in here (without wanting to get in an argument) that I have had a look at buying step on boots (luckily have contacts that can get an order in for me) so tried on the equivalent burton boot in non step on - Ion I think - when the step on boot came through, same size, totally different fit - I was told that the cleats and the mounts for them in the boot shell make a difference.

The usual Ion boot was fine, but the step on boot wasn't a good fit for me.

So be careful basing any purchasing decision on non step on fit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vjmehra wrote:
You didn't answer number 5...

why you don't say you are polish yourself? Shame or what? In no way you, not speaking polish, would be happy returning there time after time. Everything there is written in polish, they even don't have menu at the restaurants in any other language, you have to google translate and point to the menu with your finger what do you want to order. They don't speak english nor russian in general, only their own language. This is my very close friend's experience at Szczyrk resort. I travel to poland with other reasons, I also work in logistics, so encounter polish truck drivers or transport managers, very rarely they speak anything else but polish.

I'm from lithuania, to ski in Poland would mean almost two times shorter driving distance, much cheaper accomodation and food, since I'm not rich by any standards, my bank account would feel that. But I only get a few weeks so ride in winter, I have to spend them wisely, so I go to alps. To drink and eat cheap I can fly to Lviv or Kiev in Ukraine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok having just read the entire thread through again, some things are more obvious than when I earlier posted .....

We're not quite in 'what board do I need to buy to be Shaun White' territory, but not far from it.

No amount of new gear is going to get the OP where he wants to be, he's already been told that :

vjmehra wrote:
The last couple of lessons I've had, the instructor essentially said more time on the slopes was the key and took the view that without spending more hours there wasn't anything radical that needed adjusting .......

The last thing that is going to make a difference in this case is the latest 'trick-of-the-week' set up ...... just decent bindings and not overly stiff boots that fit are all that are needed.

A more suitable board that allows progression through confidence will definitely help, but at the end of the day once you get to a certain competency you should be able to ride pretty much anything ....... indeed there's a case to be made for doing so.

The priority is way more slope time on better quality terrain, preferably with riders who are just a bit better, and can offer sensible advice is needed, but the latter might be harder to arrange.

I've no dog in this fight but tough love might been seen as harsh, when it's probably the best advice that can be given ......

Life is tough, and snowboarding is often one of the toughest things you can do ....... it's not some computer game where you pick up bonus accessories on the way through to progress to the next level ....... as if it were so simple ........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We're not quite in 'what board do I need to buy to be Shaun White' territory, but not far from it.

May I politely suggest you perhaps re-read the thread then?

I have very clearly stated my level.

I have very clearly stated that I am after a board aimed at beginners/low intermediates.

How exactly did you come to that conclusion????
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Might just chip in here (without wanting to get in an argument) that I have had a look at buying step on boots (luckily have contacts that can get an order in for me) so tried on the equivalent burton boot in non step on - Ion I think - when the step on boot came through, same size, totally different fit - I was told that the cleats and the mounts for them in the boot shell make a difference.

The usual Ion boot was fine, but the step on boot wasn't a good fit for me.

So be careful basing any purchasing decision on non step on fit.

Ah that is good to know and as others have said, the dangers of buying over the internet. Sadly I guess with these there's no option, either gamble on the fit, or don't as they will be gone to quickly Sad

Presumably they came up a bit tighter than the usual ions?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
complete noob looking at ION's, and advanced stiff boot, and gonna buy them on internet, without trying them out. I see new threads of "good boot fitters recommendations?" are comming at us Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

why you don't say you are polish yourself? Shame or what? In no way you, not speaking polish, would be happy returning there time after time.

I'm not Polish! My wife is, so language isn't a problem.

Quote:

Everything there is written in polish, they even don't have menu at the restaurants in any other language, you have to google translate and point to the menu with your finger what do you want to order. They don't speak english nor russian in general, only their own language.

Its only really like that if you go off the beaten track (I concede the small villages are like that), in ski resorts however, that's not the case.

Quote:

This is my very close friend's experience at Szczyrk resort.

Not sure how long ago your friend went there, but I last went to Szczyrk about 7 years ago and it was easy enough to get by as an English speaker (and given I haven't been for 7 years I'd imagine there's even more English/German/Russian speakers now).

That said (and as I've said all along) I wouldn't recommend it as a ski destination, the weather is unreliable, the ski infrastructure is poor and the artificial snow machines are few and far between. Its a nice enough little town, but not worth the trip for most people, unless someone wanted a long weekend trying something a bit different.

Quote:

I travel to poland with other reasons, I also work in logistics, so encounter polish truck drivers or transport managers, very rarely they speak anything else but polish.

Depends where you go, in the small villages yep I'd agree you may struggle as an English speaker, but for tourists in any city or Ski resort, its fine. We normally go to the Zakopane area (not always staying in the town, often in nearby Bialka Tatzranska which has much better ski infrastructure, albeit still tiny by Alpine standards).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

complete noob looking at ION's, and advanced stiff boot, and gonna buy them on internet, without trying them out. I see new threads of "good boot fitters recommendations?" are comming at us

See thats actually a vaguely useful comment for a change!

No-one has really mentioned the stiffness of the boot itself, my assumption was that Step-ons are clearly aimed at less experienced riders, hence the boots should be about right.

None of the reviews I've seen mentioned them been an advanced boot (the Step On Ion's, I'm referring to), I'll have another read up on that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boots are single most important part of equipment. To small - nothing to explain, will be in pain and numb/cold toes. To large - feet will slide inside the boot, lack of control, will crush you toes because of sliding inside the feet. Plus nuances of arch, width at the toe box, at the heel, etc. Every boot manufacturer has slightly different shaped boots, every boot manufacturer has deviations in sizing. It could be size 10 for burton and size 9,5 for Northwave and size 11 for Nitro. In short - one would never buy boots without trying them out. Unless you buy the same you already had in the past and want a fresh pair of boots.

With stiff boots every input you make will be transfered to the bindings and to the board. Since you lack skills - half of your movements are unnecessary, you make mistakes where you didn't even know, you need something softer, max middle of the road. Get Rulers of burton, if they fit you. Step on is known for very good response, with stiffer pair of boots that will be even more pronounced.

All the heat you get from me is not because I want to mock you, but because I want you to make the right buy and have a good time wherever you want, poland, alps or snowdome. The best boots are the ones that fit your feet, and to know what fits you, you have to try out as many as you can get your hands on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ions are pretty stiff boots. I don't think the step on system is really aimed at beginners. It's not priced for learning.

The ones I tried on felt narrower in the toe box than regular ions.

No way would I be chucking that kind of cash at it unless I could properly try the boots on first, and preferably demo the setup. If the boots don't work out, the bindings are useless, until they start selling them separately.

That's the worst thing about step on, can't get extra bindings for other boards, so having a quiver is a pain, and boots usually wear out a lot quicker than bindings - I usually do a set of boots in 2 seasons but get 5 or 6 easy out of bindings with just new straps and buckles if needed. Unless the bindings are Union FC's. Then it's about 3 days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, @kosmoz, ok cool thats actually pretty helpful, appreciate that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It really is important to try boots on - even within the same brand they can be totally different. I usually ride Salomon Malamute or Synapse boots. I'm a different size between seasons on those, and I tried on a Synapse Boa and it was a totally different fit from a regular Synapse boot.

You just can't pick it, and decent fitting boots is the first thing to get right I reckon.
latest report
I believe this is accurate. Pay attention at 3:30

http://youtube.com/v/UbEF5-Spvvc
snow report
@kosmoz,
na, stepons are easy to get out of & even easier to get in. Not sure why anyone would want to try & jump in though, I just step on heel first to lock the heel in, lean my weight forward & shimmy my foot to look in the front.
So easy & quick to get in, that I can bind my unbound foot before my ski lift scoops me in.
Getting out is a single latch. If your knees are bent to reach the latch, then your heel with lift & you simply move your foot to the instep.

As for sizing, its worth remembering that the Stepon liners are designed to be already packed out. So you will see a different in size for in like for like non stepon boot.
If I knew this at the time, I would have went 1/2 a size bigger (my feet differ by 1/2 a shoe size, so one of my feet will always have one boot the wrong size.. unless I buy 2 pairs).
snow report
+1 for Burton Rulers.

And yes you should try out the boots first. If your near London, the Ski and Snowboard snow is on at the end of October you might have luck there. Ok it won't be cheap, but boots are so important it's worth paying up for the right pair. In fact, a friend of mine is going there this year for that exact reason.

If you find a pair of boots that work for you but are too stiff it's worth asking the manufacturer (or retailer) for other boots that are based on the same mould. For example Burton's Ruler, Ion and Driver all made for the same foot. I did exactly that and ordered online to get perfectly fitting boots.

Given your style of riding and the laissez fair approach to your holidays (including short runs), I suspect you'll be riding the same gear for many (10+) seasons.
snow report
Wow, all this from a request for info and advice on kit?!

@kosmoz, I wonder if you are aware how your posts in this thread read, I can't be sure if you are deliberately trolling or are in fact looking for an argument?

@BCjohnny, you may have misread the thread.
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

May I politely suggest you perhaps re-read the thread then?

I have very clearly stated my level.

I have very clearly stated that I am after a board aimed at beginners/low intermediates.

How exactly did you come to that conclusion????

Draw your horns in mate ...... the sentence in bold is is a parody of the type of naive question that crops up on here from time to time ...... NOTHING personal.

And so with that I'll bow out, but one last thing ....... if you lose the attitude and listen to the wiser counsel on here, you might just learn something .......

[edit: Grammar]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-09-19 16:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Robin Agogo wrote:
@BCjohnny, you may have misread the thread.

I've misread nothing ...... but thanks for the advice .......
snow report
Quote:

if you lose the attitude and listen to the wiser counsel on here, you might just learn something .......

Seriously??? Have you read the same thread.

You are accusing me of having an attitude???

Have a quick look back at some of the posts.
snow conditions
vjmehra, forget it mate ...... tried to help, as have others ....... gonna leave it now, but again this ........

vjmehra wrote:
The last couple of lessons I've had, the instructor essentially said more time on the slopes was the key and took the view that without spending more hours there wasn't anything radical that needed adjusting .......

If you're not going to listen to him, you're not going to listen to anything other than what you've already convinced yourself of on here ........

Good luck with with your boarding.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you're not going to listen to him, you're not going to listen to anything other than what you've already convinced yourself of on here ........

Ok so presumably you are reading a completely different thread to the one you quoted as it doesn't say anything like what you've just written.

I said the instructor said my technique needed nothing radically changed (at this moment in time) and more practice was the key.

Where did I say I wasn't listening?

Given I've just booked a trip...(which involves boarding...hence by definition practice) I am listening to the advice given. Aside from that, whenever I go I (almost always) get at least a 1 hour lesson at the start just in case there's anything specific an instructor recommends. So your comment is just bizarre (although I appreciate I hadn't mentioned that last bit before, but not really sure its relevant).

Also what exactly have I convinced myself of?

I came on here to ask advice about a board and have been given plenty of ideas, some then suggested the boot/binding combo was not ideal, so I've taken their advice on board.

You could I guess argue that I had convinced myself Step On's were the way forward, but even if that's true at least now I've learnt that if I was to go down that route the Ruler's would be the best boot choice and I have some board suggestions. If I don't go down that route then I've had some other suggestions too.

So all in all I'm just very confused by your post(s).
ski holidays
@kosmoz, that video is good, I like that guy, will have to add him to my playlist Happy
ski holidays
If you want step on's get step on's.
There will always be people measuring dicks without actually trying everything on offer.
Its Apple v Android or Playstation v Xbox.

I have stepons & love them. I'd recommend them to anyone. Equally, I accept other people have tried them & dont like them. Then there is are the Blagpipes. The not tired them, but have an opinion anyway.

As for boots If you want Ion, go Ion. Nothing wrong getting a board & boots above your ability if your are not going to be in a position to swap your equipment every few years.
I have Ion boots. Using the same equipment and not renting means you have gear you can grow with.
ski holidays
This whole thread has descended into something weird, ha!

I had no idea about Ion boots as such, just that their were different boots available for step on's, I just (mistakenly) thought they were the softer ones (perhaps people thought I was insisting on stiffer boots for some reason)?

Yes, your final point, is essentially what I thought most people recommended, get something you can stick with. I'm not in any rush to get better, I just want to make sure I have something I can use and not find to troublesome.

No Olympic ambitions as I'm far too old for that Happy

Quite where all the aggro came from earlier not really sure!
snow report
Those instructors are horse poo-poo, there are things to point out at everyone's technique, but for you, who can't control a beginners board with mellow camber, there is nothing to correct, go ride some more? Don't buy that story. They only recognised you are unteachable person, who knows everything, opposes to any remarks and just want someone to tap your shoulder.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kosmoz, for a while I thought you were actually posting some sensible stuff and now you’ve gone back to crazy randomness again.

I even said multiple times I agree with a lot of what you’d said!!!

Are you and @BCjohnny, the same person by chance as everyone else seems to be reading a different thread to you two?
snow report
@kosmoz, just re-reading your post I think you’ve misinterpreted what I wrote.

The instructor did not in anyway suggest I was a perfect rider as you insinuate. Merely that I needed more hours on the slopes for them to add any value.

I feel you took what I said as me suggesting they thought my technique was perfect...which let me assure you is far from the truth Happy
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
Are you and @BCjohnny, the same person by chance as everyone else seems to be reading a different thread to you two?

Tried to get away from it but got dragged back in ......

This thread is the first time I've read anything by kosmoz but, getting past all the personal stuff (I dunno if you pair have previous ........), what he's saying makes a lot of sense, even if he is a bit abrupt .......

hang11 is a kool kiwi dude, long time rider, who also knows his stuff, and is gently trying to nudge you away from bad choices .......

Me ...... I'm an old man who's been riding for more than twenty years and although I certainly don't claim to know everything, you tend to pick up stuff on any journey .......

People are giving up valuable time to try to help someone who obviously has less experience and knowledge about the subject and hopefully point them in a the 'right' direction ...... so let's take just one instance why some of us know you need guidance .......

Burton Ion boots.

kosmoz and hang11 have both told you they're not a choice you should make ....... no prizes for guessing what boots I mostly ride.

Ions are a fairly 'advanced' boot that someone who has their technique fairly well locked in can work hard, usually but not always in an 'all mountain' setting ........ they are not a beginner boot.

On the rare occasion I go to a fridge I don't wear them ...... I use a 'softer' boot ....... any idea why?

You'd gain a lot more by maybe not telling the people trying to help that they are 'misinterpreting' what you're saying and possibly just try listening a bit ........ sorry but that's the only conclusion I can come to .......

So I'm definitely out now .......
ski holidays
Come on give the guy a break. I think there's logic in his thinking. In fact, it's disappointing to see an intermediate who's merely asking for tips get such a grilling.
ski holidays
@BCjohnny,

Quote:

This thread is the first time I've read anything by kosmoz but, getting past all the personal stuff (I dunno if you pair have previous ........), what he's saying makes a lot of sense, even if he is a bit abrupt .......

I politely acknowledged his points made sense, ignoring the blatant rudeness in places (no idea where that came from).

Quote:

hang11 is a kool kiwi dude, long time rider, who also knows his stuff, and is gently trying to nudge you away from bad choices .......

Yeah, hence I haven't disagreed with or argued with anything he said?

Quote:

Ions are a fairly 'advanced' boot that someone who has their technique fairly well locked in can work hard, usually but not always in an 'all mountain' setting ........ they are not a beginner boot.

On the rare occasion I go to a fridge I don't wear them ...... I use a 'softer' boot ....... any idea why?

I NEVER MENTIONED IONS!!!

Someone else mentioned them in a post and I merely asked a question about fit, I came here for advice and have at least been able to learn about the different stiffness of the 3 boots available with Step Ons. Which is useful even if people like you are here just to try and make stuff up (for no apparent reason).

Quote:

You'd gain a lot more by maybe not telling the people trying to help that they are 'misinterpreting' what you're saying and possibly just try listening a bit ........ sorry but that's the only conclusion I can come to .......

To be honest you're right here, it was very clear people like you @BCjohnny have no interest in reading my posts and just made your mind up for no apparent reason that you'd start trolling.

I do not understand why, but I'd prefer it if you just left this thread for people trying to answer the question or asking their own ones.
ski holidays
I might summarise this Very Happy

Step ons are good.

Choose the boots wisely, and make sure they fit properly before you buy.

Chuck them on pretty much any mid range all mountain board you can get a good deal on that's sized right for you (check the weight range on the manufacturers spec - boards know how much you weigh they don't know how tall you are)

Go out and have fun Very Happy

Job done Very Happy
snow report
@hang11, thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

Sorry to everyone else that this thread descended into a bit of a farce, I don’t know why some one/people took offence to what I thought was a simple question. But than you to everyone that provided some useful advice...even @kosmoz wink
snow report
@vjmehra,

you asked for board advice & thats what people should have stuck to - instead the questioned your choice of boots/bindings & ability.
Stick to the first reply. The Jones, or The Yes, or The rossi are all good all around boards that will last through your intermediate adventures.
I personally would recommend the Rossi LF because the LF elements work well with the step on.
latest report
@Mr.Egg, tbh I didn’t mind that at all, happy to learn about different ideas.

I just don’t get why people started making stuff up and accusing me of not listening to the advice. No idea where that came from.

But yes thank you to everyone who posted sensible stuff. I do have a lot more research to do now Happy
snow report
@vjmehra, I'd be interested to know what you end up getting and how it works out for you
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
[I NEVER MENTIONED IONS!!!

No ..... that's a fair point ....... they were referenced several times so I took it from that they were a considered option ....

vjmehra wrote:
it was very clear people like you @BCjohnny have no interest in reading my posts and just made your mind up for no apparent reason that you'd start trolling.

Apart from the above 'misinterpretation' I've read pretty much everything ...... maybe you should do likewise ..... and if trolling is simply not agreeing with you then yes.

Quote:
I do not understand why, but I'd prefer it if you just left this thread for people trying to answer the question or asking their own ones.

I'd have left it long ago if you hadn't dragged me back in by suggesting I might be someone else rolling eyes ....... but no fear, your wish is my command ....... good luck with the boarding.
ski holidays
Quote:

Apart from the above 'misinterpretation' I've read pretty much everything ...... maybe you should do likewise ..... and if trolling is simply not agreeing with you then yes.

Ok I'll bite...please could you highlight something I've disagreed with?

I thought I'd taken the time to acknowledge virtually every suggestion and ask a few questions, I can't at a glance see where I've disagreed with anything (I have tried to point out where people had made incorrect assumptions, such as yourself above, but thats about it).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy