Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing this week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

im off work all week its my birthday and never skied on birthday and snow has fallen in the alps so ive booked a ferry to calais and upon some small research im gonna drive to either solden, sas fee, zermatt
seems sas fee has most open 14km 10 lifts so thought to put my situation on here to see if any replies can help me decide
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Eyepaulski, At Saas-Fee you will be on the summer ski pistes at altitudes of around 3200-3500m, so providing you you don’t have any problems with altitude you should be fine. The main problem you will have is potential bad weather, because even if the pistes are fine you may not be able to get to them if the main lifts are closed. I’m sure the Solden and Zermatt are similar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This says what's open - you can also search by opening dates on the site List of open resorts . I would say that of them all (though its not a big choice) Hintertux has the most interesting skiing open, Zermatt is the (way) better /interesting village/town.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the replies
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Eyepaulski"]thanks for the replies[. im split now on sas fee and zermatt...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They're not far apart, do both.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt's glacier (I was there in February) is a lot flatter than other ski glaciers - almost just stand up and go in parts...Saas Fee has some steeper bits and, as has been mentioned, is near by.

A big minus point for me is that Switzerland is just so prohibitively expensive these days. However, it's worth going to Zermatt for the Matterhorn views alone. Great for a birthday visit.

If cost is a major factor - or you just want affordable accommodation, food and drink plus a varied, decent-sized ski area (for September...) - I'd be going to Hintertux in Austria. For a change of scene, Soelden glaciers would be do-able on the trip too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chose saas fee in the end..thanks for all your advice
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I struggle with Switzerland is so prohibitively expensive. Not compared to major french resorts. The hotels are invariably better value for money. Not cheap, but neither is France or Austria. Saas will be great for a few days. Glacier has a bit more 'slope' on it than Zermatt perhaps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
switzerland always beyond our means for a week or 10 day trip so a couple of days is doable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@twoodwar, Switzerland is not intrinsically expensive. Just that your currency, economy and most of all government are so pathetic.

We moved to Switzerland in 06 when it was 2.5 CHFs to the pound. Didn’t feel at all expensive then...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Very true regarding our Politicians, bring back the gold standard. I first went skiing in Switzerland in 1989 and the CHF was near 2.80 to GBP. The was a long period of stability between 1986 and 2008 when the exchange rate averaged around 2.4, with a dip in 1995-96 down to 1.8.

Mind you, if you go back to the mid 1970's the CHF was 6 to the GBP, get building that time machine Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
We moved to Switzerland in 06 when it was 2.5 CHFs to the pound. Didn’t feel at all expensive then...
But now that it's only CHF1.2 to the £, prices have (of course) doubled for starters and also increased further due to inflation Confused

We had a fantastic, affordable, half board week in a 4* hotel in Zermatt for about £450 each (inc flights - package hol) in 2006-ish - but something similar is about £1200 each now... Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still relatively good value to big name French resorts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy