Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Well it was all quite tranquil in Tignes today (although, just for @Greenday, it was quite lively at the final whistle last night in the 'Embu wink ). I hope everybody manages to get sorted, not an day to work in an airline ops room!

Last day of enforced no skiing, calf much better now. It didn't seem too hectic out of the window, but as it was blue skies and sunshine until mid afternoon everybody was spread out. The only news worthy of note comes from next door where the Bellvarde Express broke down and everybody had to be winched off. A 'reducer', no I'm none the wiser either. I just hope its not a big job as the centre of Val is a bunfight during February, with that chair out it will be a nightmare.

The cloud will continue to thicken this evening and it will start snowing around 10pm, unfortunately it is likely to be rain in the villages until mid morning Monday when the snowline will slowly drop towards the Dam and then Brev. The wind will pick up mid morning when the World will become a whiteout. So if you can get above the rain initially, there may be some skiing before all the high lifts close as Ciara does her bit for beer sales in the Espace Killy. Tuesday looks like being windy and snowy, the snowline will be down the Valley, hopefully the lower lifts will be open so we can enjoy the 20cm of fresh snow, a day for the trees I think. There is little agreement on Wednesdays forecast, I'll go for the mid point of snow in the morning and sunny periods in the afternoon. As for Thursday - that would be a guessing game!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chambery to Manchester diverted to Newcastle very close to final approach around lunchtime today. Not ideal but better than ending up on the grass Shocked

Chambery to Gatwick around similar time cancelled and folk apparently in hotels around Chambery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmmm tricky southerly wind at Chambery tomorrow. Might be better if the rescue boats go to Lyon or Grenoble.

(Aircraft can't take off heading south due to the big hills off the end of the runway normally. As its a short runway taking off to the north with a tail wind is potentially a shpwstopper)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, Thali was good on Friday evening but the waft of the F & C in the QDC was very tempting beforehand as we had some late arrivals.

GVA/MAN (16.35 easyJet) on Saturday afternoon wasn't too bad. Fair bit of "wing-wagging" on the descent but the touch down was smooth enough. Pilot had said that he thought we'd be in before the wind speeds got too bad.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still under the duvet watching the rain turning to snow, but both are going sideways! Looks like the village lifts and one or two others so far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, I think we will have to rename it Lavachet Friday now, much confliction between F&C at QDC, Thali at Cantine or Pizza and Beer at Brasero. First world problems!

Meanwhile up in Lac, you do see the strangest things in the Jam Bar:

A certain Brummie Lasses birthday!

The wind does seem to be getting worse, although they have opened the pistes from the Funi down, bet that's exciting! More hail rather than snow but at least it is settling on the balcny now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

although, just for @Greenday, it was quite lively at the final whistle last night in the 'Embu

Hope nobody was throwing beer bottles Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GreenDay, Crikey, that would involve spilling some!

I think one word for tomorrow - whiteout. The wind is going to blow hard and gust even harder and over a 24 hour period maybe 20cm of snow, although where that will end up is anybody's guess. The snowline will be well below Brev so a good top up for all but I suspect very little will happen tomorrow. The snow will peter out in the early hours of Wednesday, the wind will abate to a stiff breeze and the cloud will progressively lift, leaving a reasonable afternoon. It will be a slow start after all the wind and snow as the pisteurs work their magic on the wind laden slopes. Thursday will be mixed, varying amounts of cloud thickening in the afternoon to give a few light showers of snow after dark, when the wind will also start to blow again. Confidence is not high for Fridays forecast, mixed amounts of cloud and sunny spells, potentially quite windy though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, another duvet day?

Doesn't look like a lot will open today but the good news is Tignes are providing free coffee Blush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stewart woodward, It would be but its in the washer!

Looks a bit bleak for a free coffee, even to a Yorkshireman.

Still, leg will have time to fully recover.

Few lifts open, but snowing heavily and blowing hard.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we are due on saturday, first day skiing sunday. I really feel for people who are there currently with blizzards and most of the lifts shut down - not an ideal holiday at all, despite free coffee !

Its looking a bit blowy for next week also but with less snow and more sun. Seeing 50+ kmh at the top but only 10 lower down. What is the wind limit that the lifts can safey operate at ?

Dont think Ill be seeing the top of Grand Motte this season Crying or Very sad

Being a peak week - will they make an extra effort to open as much as possible to spread the crowds ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@melandnick, All the lifts are different, wind direction is also a factor, as is whether its a chair or a bubble so difficult to be precise. But the max limit for the Tov Gondola is 26m/s, or just over 90kph, at which point you wouldn't be able to stand up. I see no difference in effort whether it is busy or not, safety first. The lift company and the Regie de Pistes are two separate entities, to help avoid any conflict of interest. As for the weather, I only forecast for 4 days ahead for a reason Very Happy

The snow will ease off this evening, the gusts should die down but a decent wind will remain. The snow should have stopped by breakfast time when the sky will progressively clear to leave a windy afternoon. Clearly, it will be a slow start as the pisteurs make it safe. The wind at high altitude may preclude some lifts. Thursday - get up early, the morning will be nice but by lunchtime it will start to cloud over and snow down to 1700m or so, the gusty wind will return. It looks like it will stop snowing around first light on Friday, leaving a day of sun and fluffy clouds and light winds. Currently it seems that the weather will be kind for the transfer day from hell, relatively warm, sunny spells and light winds.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kind weather at resort, however Storm Dennis may throw a spanner in the works for anyone flying or getting a ferry from southern England this coming weekend. Good luck everyone!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@melandnick,
Sustained Force 8 (40mph) and above seems to be the trigger for significant chairlift shutdowns.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
@melandnick, All the lifts are different, wind direction is also a factor, as is whether its a chair or a bubble so difficult to be precise. But the max limit for the Tov Gondola is 26m/s, or just over 90kph, at which point you wouldn't be able to stand up. I see no difference in effort whether it is busy or not, safety first. The lift company and the Regie de Pistes are two separate entities, to help avoid any conflict of interest. As for the weather, I only forecast for 4 days ahead for a reason Very Happy

The snow will ease off this evening, the gusts should die down but a decent wind will remain. The snow should have stopped by breakfast time when the sky will progressively clear to leave a windy afternoon. Clearly, it will be a slow start as the pisteurs make it safe. The wind at high altitude may preclude some lifts. Thursday - get up early, the morning will be nice but by lunchtime it will start to cloud over and snow down to 1700m or so, the gusty wind will return. It looks like it will stop snowing around first light on Friday, leaving a day of sun and fluffy clouds and light winds. Currently it seems that the weather will be kind for the transfer day from hell, relatively warm, sunny spells and light winds.

thanks chokcsaway - getting out looks to be the issue now with Storm Dennis ! We have the first flight out of Gatwick to GVA so fingers crossed get ahead of it.
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
Steve Angus mention the census in Val D'Isere in his post yesterday. Is there one going on in Tignes, too?
latest report
@Kenzie, Neither heard nor seen anything (other than the Val one on Radio Val website). But if its this week....

Currently sat at Geneva waiting for "were sorry you flight has been......" Not too bad only 40 mins at the moment, shame the lounge is full of Germans who don't seem to understand the etiquette.. Why do people answer their 'handy' and then walk around barking into the bloody thing?

Hope you are enjoying the weather up there today. Tomorrow will start with sunny spells, but will cloud over quickly and the precipitation will start late morning, initially the snow line may be as high as 2100m but then dropping. The wind will return late afternoon, keep an eye on the links. Friday will improve, the snow should have stopped by lift opening and the winds will ease off, meaning nobody will aim for a quick getaway...... Saturday will be a lovely spring day in Tignes, granted its going to be a bit bumpy flying out or sailing from the UK. Sunday looks like being similar but with agusty wind developing which may shut the high lifts.

The Germans have now started watching a film on the tablet - without headphones. Time to break out the Paddington stare!
ski holidays
Great to have the return of the sun today. Lots of powder to keep everyone happy although a little cold in the wind.
Looks like it's back to snow tomorrow.
snow report
@chocksaway, forecast was correct as usual rolling eyes
The morning started bright but quickly clouded over and it was snowing by the start of the esf slalom at midday.

It's has been continously snowing all afternoon and tomorrow looks good for off piste skiing but not so great for racing.
ski holidays
Hi all, any local knowledge on the likely impact of potential strikes in Tignes tomorrow? I see the main “strike” thread, but was wondering what the feelings on the ground were.
latest report
Sorry not in resort so unable to yap the usual contacts.

Val on strike from 830 to 930!
ski holidays
Thanks @chocksaway. Lets hope that’s all it is!
snow report
@wibble44,

The gossip is, nobody knows Puzzled
One thing is for sure they will not be striking during their lunch break Very Happy
latest report
Yeatetday dawned bright and clear with about 30cms if new snow. Unfortunately the cloud came up the valley during the morning and reduced viability between 2100 and 2400m, above this is was blue bird.

Today looks like more sunshine and great skiing before snow on Monday
snow report
Now in Tignes, looks like the strike petered out about 10ish, main lifts out of VC seem to be operating with people on.
latest report
wibble44 wrote:
Now in Tignes, looks like the strike petered out about 10ish, main lifts out of VC seem to be operating with people on.

No strike in le lac, all lifts running normally Blush
snow conditions
It's the busiest week of the season so today was surprisingly quiet Puzzled yes there were lots of people on the snow front in le lac at 9.00 am and a small queue for the palfour lift but nothing unreasonable.

This morning we had a covering of high cloud which the sun kept trying to break through and finally achieved around lunchtime.
The piste bashers work overtime in the holidays and did a great job overnight. The pistes began to cut up a little as the day progressed due to the warm temperatures.

Tomorrow looks sunny in the morning before a slight snowfall arrives around tea time.
snow report
@chocksaway,
When are you back?

There seems to be a few snowheads in town this week so if you want a good recommendation for a night out you cannot beat le queue de couchon in lavachet.
Tuesday night is roast night and Friday night is fish and chips. Wednesday and Thursday are always busy with chalet night off.
You have to book for both as they are so popular.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all! I have a question, will the 28 Feb - 7 March be very very busy in Tignes-Val d'Isère? I'm wondering how much better the following week would be, since it will be the start of low season... Oddly enough, I've found a cheaper offer for the 28 Feb - 7 March week, but I'm concerned I might end up dealing with long queues and crowded pistes.

Any help will be much appreciated, bye to everyone Smile
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, late Wed, all being equal.

@nobrainbcn, that week is the last of the French holidays, so it's only one zone. The brits are also back in school. So not expecting it to be bad, but the following week will be quiet in comparison. There will be the odd queue at peak times but relatively easy to beat. Just avoid Val Centre until 1045!!
ski holidays
Oops wrong thread.
ski holidays
Snowing Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Another beautiful day today.

Started snowing yesterday afternoon and continued steadily through the night. Not a great depth but enough for some nice fresh tracks this morning.

Tomorrow looks like a flat light day with a small amount of snow. Not quite sure yet as the forecasts seem to be differ.
latest report
A quick update.

It didn't start snowing until about 6.00am in the village but there is 10 - 15cm of fresh powder already.
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, Family were at the top of Bellevarde around lunchtime. They were almost blown off their feet in a white-out.
snow report
Back in harness! After yesterday we have had a glorious spring day, very mild and all yesterdays snow compacting very quickly. I had a quick go this morning and then toddled off down the stream that was the road to Bourg. The place is super busy, dodging the queues is an art form in itself.

It will cloud over tonight around midnight as the rag end of a cold front passes through, there may well be a dusting of snow in the early hours, nothing to get too excited about. The cloud will clear through the hours after dawn and by lunchtime we should be left with pure blue skies. It will be a bit chillier than today though, especially in the shadow. Full on Spring for Saturday, hardly any cloud and lovely and warm for sitting in a car on the roads. Looks like it is going to be the busiest day of the season for cars, so leave tomorrow night if you are going and arrive v early or after dinner on Saturday. Luckily the weather over here won't make it worse. I am watching the weather closely for the UK though on Saturday. Sunday will be blue skies and sunshine but we just need to watch out for the wind in the afternoon, it could be gusting enough to close the high lifts (and it will not do much for the snowpack given the temperatures). Monday will be another glorious one.
ski holidays
Hi there, I've been reading several message but I still have a hard time figuring out the actual state of the snow. I'm aware it has snowed very recently, but apart from this latest dusting, how's the situation on piste? Thanks to anyone who'll take the time to send even a brief update Smile
ski holidays
nobrainbcn wrote:
Hi there, I've been reading several message but I still have a hard time figuring out the actual state of the snow. I'm aware it has snowed very recently, but apart from this latest dusting, how's the situation on piste? Thanks to anyone who'll take the time to send even a brief update Smile

I second this question and would also like to know how the off piste is!
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
nobrainbcn wrote:

I second this question and would also like to know how the off piste is!

Off piste is Ok in parts. There are stashes of deep stuff, and even the inter-piste stuff is quite fun. We spent Wednesday afternoon lapping under the Aguille Rouge till the legs gave out - bit windy but the snow was deep and light. Today went over to Solaise. Cugnai and under the Manchet Express was good fun. Didn't do it myself but have been told Col de Ves was pretty good today as well.

The pistes are quite hard packed though. Rhone Alpes, Germain Mathis, Face and Trolles all require either a modicum of talent or sharp edges.
latest report
Not sure where @Judwin, is skiing but I think the pistes are in excellent condition.

Yep, if you ski trolles you need to know what you are doing as it is a black not blue.

Looking forward to another great day under blue skies.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy