Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
The new gondola from Les Brevieres to Tignes 1800: does anyone remember which nights it ran late evenings last winter, and what the times were? And if there is any hint from STGM if they are doing the same again this winter? Thx.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I could find was this... https://public.tignes.net/STGM/HORAIRES_RM.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it ran every evening until 9pm. It was paid for by the restaurants in Kallinda Village, much to the chagrin of the restaurants in Brevs, where people are otherwise captive.

There is talk of the La Daille gondola running in the evenings so the Folle can open its restaurant at night.

As with all of these arrangements, they will happen/continue whilst the restaurants and bars pay the lift operation bill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Hadn't realised Kalinda was paying for it; thought STGM had made the promise to the mayor. I won't make any assumptions then that it will run late again this winter. Much as I love Les Brevieres (will be staying there again this season) the 'captive' thing can be a nuisance - particularly when friends are visiting and staying in one of the other Tignes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't rely one the Brev bubble running on a night. It was for a very short period last year, but I can't find the email with the dates.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:

There is talk of the La Daille gondola running in the evenings so the Folle can open its restaurant at night.

That would be a fun ski down in the dark Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied down to Brev in the dark from the bus stop by the piste in 1800. Easy enough but always think about the fact if you have an accident no one knows you are on the mountain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, a popular option I believe @Mark1863. Have to admit to having done it once or twice... keeping a careful watch for any piste bashers coming the other way! It's getting friends home from Les Brev to their gaff higher up the hill that's the bigger challenge. A dry night and the trusty Citroen I guess.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

That would be a fun ski down in the dark Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

We used to have plenty doing this from the Round Point down to the centre of Meribel. If we thought they were overly 'refreshed' we took their skis/board off them & gave them a binbag & kept the skis/ boards for them to pick up in the morning. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The plot thickens... (Remind me not to organise a holiday for people with different requirements in the future lol)

Wanted to ask if there are any UK ski holiday providers you guys can recommend / ones that should be avoided? Currently exploring holiday package deal options.

And in regards to that, when a package includes flights but you have mates coming from various countries, do you call the provider to ask for a quote just for a room? Any experiences with similar situations would be helpful!

Thank you once again!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be looking to see what Sunweb can do for you. They can do with flights or without. Lift pass included, and several properties in Tignes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
@drporat, For touring boots I would go to Mountain Attitude on Rue de la Poste - run by the two Ludos (short French for Ludovic). Having said that they were trying to sell the business but it was still there last May.

Not sure if Jo Jo does touring boots, the rumours of his retirement have been around for years, I will no doubt find out when I arrive!

I've sent them 2 emails within a 4 weeks interval, no answer.
Tried to call the number listed on their website, it's disconnected. Shocked
Any idea what's happening?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@drporat, Sorry, no. But the 2 Ludos do run a mountain biking business elsewhere in France and in previous years did not appear in Tignes until November. I guess I'll find out on my way to the pub on 27 Nov!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Agevi, Never tried Sunweb but most tour ops do a no transport option. Alpine Elements have a variety of chalets and prices in Tignes. Also look the Tignes 2100 hotel, you can book direct with Langleys (a scandi firm) but Crystal also do a full flight, transfers and accomm package from the UK and hand you over to the Scandis at the door.

Good luck herding you cats Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a different tack, can I ask Chocks if he knows anyone in Tignes who offers a ABS backpack service ?
My Mammutt pack is due for 1 in Jan
Ta
I tried last Jan but no one could /would !
snow conditions
@endoman Thanks, will have a looksy!

@chocksaway Thanks! Will explore further and indeed try to get the herd sorted! xD
ski holidays
@snowornever, Mmmm tricky. I'm sure I saw a snowpulse (bought out by Mammut IIRC) in the window of Vallon Blanc in Lac. As ever shop change their allegiancies often, so another one for my list of window shopping in November. Might be worth prompting me in early Dec!!
ski holidays
Thanks!
Turns out there is a safetycheck:recall on the bag so will be in touch with mammutt
Also their website lists Ellis Brigham as a “safety centre”whatever that means will call them to see!
Not long now to jan!!!
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:
The sign I always take that the locals think snow is going to stay is when they put the tyres on the tennis courts. Often they will also put some on Toviere. I think it is to protect the courts and is also an indication that the cover is too thin at the end of the season

Looking at the webcams tyres are out in le lac and val claret!
snow conditions
dorhar wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:
The sign I always take that the locals think snow is going to stay is when they put the tyres on the tennis courts. Often they will also put some on Toviere. I think it is to protect the courts and is also an indication that the cover is too thin at the end of the season

Looking at the webcams tyres are out in le lac and val claret!

Next job will be takng the fencing down around the tennis courts that are nearest the lake in Lac.

The work is possibly in response to the predicted cold and hopefully snowy snap next week. The weather thread indicates that most forecasters are suggesting a similar weather pattern and thus it may well happen. No agreement on exactly when the weather turns. Sometime between Tuesday/Thursday.

As with all these predictions take with a huge pinch of salt.
latest report
Incase anyone is planning on doing any driving in the region next week:

Quote:

ROAD CLOSURE : BARRAGE OF TIGNES

From Monday 28th of October to Thursday 31th of October morning:

Road closed from 10pm to 6am. No diversion !
Some closing (20 minutes) possible from 8pm -> 10pm and 6am -> 8am. (maximum 3 closing each time slot)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 25-10-19 14:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
You'd think the summer road via Les Brevieres would allow a diversion? Any info on the exact location of the closure points and why the summer road can't be used? Unlikely it's a piste yet at that time of year (drove on it quite happily last November without restriction).
ski holidays
Info was from here: http://www.savoie-route.fr/?lang=en

Supposedly the summer road (D87B) is closed according to the above source.
ski holidays
I see... roadworks on the summer road too, until mid-Nov. And soon as they're complete it will turn into Myrtilles anyway (hopefully)!
ski holidays
The summer road was tarted up for Le Tour that never was. I wonder if the major building works at the bottom of the gondola (ticket office, poor, ski school etc) are blocking the road.

IIRC the Dam is shut for the removal of the crane that has been there for a while.
snow conditions
As if by magic an e mail from Le Marie confirms it's for crane removal. No explanation why the summer road (or route des ruines as it seems to be called now) is shut.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 25-10-19 21:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
https://www.facebook.com/snoworks/videos/2487667521269242/
snow conditions
@drporat, Mountain attitude did change ownership at the end of last season and I was told the new owners are experienced in ski-touring and the market for it. Ludo (one of them) expected the business to carry on pretty much as before. I would imagine the place is closed until mid November. As @chocksaway, indicated the previous owners are concentrating on the mountain biking business.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tigski, thanks for the update.
This is what I feared.
I am interested in buying my first pair of touring boots. I looked for a shop who has both the knowledge (boot fitting) and enough models on display to fit my specific needs.
Integrity wouldn't be bad either.
It makes sense that the new owners intend to carry on the existing business, the issue is who and how are they.
In Tignes I only know Nicholas from Le Vallon Blanc, but I don't believe it's in his field of expertise.
We'll see this PSB.
snow report
@drporat, might not be very convenient for you, but Mountain Pro in Val is the best place for touring kit in the whole area. Incredibly knowledgable, and while they might not have the largest range of hardware it's all picked by them as the best on offer, they won't sell anything they don't think is up to the job.
snow report
@Dr John, many thanks.
If I won't find a good local option, I'll take the bus in the morning and go there with both skis. Or I might try getting there by skiing with the 2nd pair on my back, to save the bus money Laughing
I need an entry level boot that should fit both the new skis with Shift bindings and the old ones with alpine bindings.
Any idea how are their prices? Compared to Tignes...
snow conditions
Hopefully, we will see a bit more than a dusting early next week. If we do get a decent dump above resort that seems a consistent "first proper" snow for the last 3 seasons. All late Oct - Early Nov. Hopefully cold enough for them to start snow-blowing the Double M. All bits crossed
snow report
@drporat, you want a hybrid boot in that case, Salomon and Technica have a large range. Drop them a line, Yannik is the boss, they'll be getting new season stock in shortly. I'm going to them for new Scarpa tourers opening weekend. Can't comment to comparative pricing, but the kit is generally RRP with little or no "Val" mark-up (unlike other places I could mention. Yes Killy Sport, I'm looking at you).
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, https://snow-drone.com/shared-transfers/
snow report
The weather looks increasingly unsettled next week - quite showery. Early in he week it will be snow on the glacier, and if all goes to plan it will be snowing at resort level from mid week onwards Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Noza on the Weather thread supports the view that Tignes is about to change colour

"As for the nearer term continues to look like quite considerable snowfall for the northern Alps 50cm+ for Tignes over next week with a snow line fluctuating above and below 1900m"

Lets hope he is right
ski holidays
^^^^ Fingers crossed Very Happy
ski holidays
Ahhh I love the first proper snowy webcam of the season with the lake, it's stunning!
snow report
Looking this morning. Pretty grim on the GM but clearly Open. Snow line just around 2700 - dusting on Toviere. Should move down from there and be at resort level some time on Sunday. Looks like most of the week before any fully clear intervals. GM conditions should be great.
latest report
Just received a storm warning for tomorrow, looks likely that the winds on the glacier will reach 3 figures. Those race teams must like getting up early practice.

From about Tuesday we may well see the snow cannons running on Double M as the temps drop, always a sign that winter is round the corner Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy