Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I will be in Val d'Isère from this Saturday until Tuesday for a 4 day ski trip. Looks like we pretty much picked the worst weekend of the winter: warm, moist and chances of rain up to over 2000m...

It will most likely also be quite windy higher up (EC model is forecasting wind speeds up to 50km/h, 6-7 Bft), I assume lift closures are likely, but I'm hoping plenty will remain open?
See https://www.bergfex.at/val-disere/wetter/prognose/

Could somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today looks like what we call a pylon day. A few years ago we were staying in an apartment in Val Claret overlooking the Tufs chair. We sat eating breakfast, for a long time, counting visible pylons. A day for brave souls and the foolhardy..........hopefully it gets better for those out there. Heading that way in March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or from our hotel, can you or can you not see the Lavachet chair.
When you can see it, every chair seems full of hardy souls happy to battle with the blizzard.
Presumably there is quite a queue at the bottom there, as it is one of the few chairs open just now.
I think we'll just go for a walk . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GreenDay, What time, I was in there 6-7.15?

Didn't see any kilts!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just about stormbound, there were a few lifts open but only for the hardy. I have been outside twice to clear the balcony! We had 16cm up to 8 this morning, probably as much since but as its blowing so hard its difficult to tell what is new and what isn't.

OK First things first - Avalanche Risk 4 tomorrow with reports of many large avalanches today. Stay on piste, even if you can see the off piste (which is unlikely to start with).

Tomorrow will start windy and snowy, from late morning on the snow intensity will drop and the gusty wind will ease off a bit, there may even be the odd sunny spell in the afternoon. Clearly it will be a slow start as the pisteurs get to work, but with the wind easing off there should be more than a few lifts open in the afternoon. Thursday morning will be mostly cloudy, there will be much less wind and maybe the odd glimpse of cloud, it will be quite a bit warmer. It looks like a few showers in the afternoon which could be rain up to 2000m so a bit grim; they may well hold off until the lifts are shut, the forecast does not have high confidence though. The showers should peter out by breakfast time on Friday leaving a warm day of sunny spells. Saturday is a long way off in forecasting terms but sunny periods and a warm wind in the morning with the possibility of rain showers up to 200m in the afternoon.

@Skiwi222, At those sort of speeds some lifts will be shut especially at height, wind direction is also important as is the gustiness of the wind and the transport of snow through the day creating an avalanche risk, so yes some lifts will still be open - how many is in the lap of the snow Gods.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
50kph winds (30mph) are well within the tolerance of poma tows, from any direction, but unfortunately (understandably) most of those have now been removed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, What time, I was in there 6-7.15?

Didn't see any kilts!

Ha! No, we just popped in for a couple after dinner.....maybe 9.30 to 11.

We bussed to dam this morning and had great fun lapping down to Brev....I know, sounds boring but the snow conditions were epic. Skiing broken up by a nice fat lunch in Brev. I recommend this over whatever may be open in Lac/VC tomorrow
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has now been snowing non-stop for over 36 hours.
Palafour opened this morning, but Breviers bubble not running.
Large queue for Palafour first thing (we cheekily snuck in from the side), but soon cleared.
A bit busy run down, but quite happy to do multiple circuits - not so keen on coming down from top of Lavachet chair.
Should be mega when the wind dies down and the sun comes out snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

not so keen on coming down from top of Lavachet chair.

Thought that was a button lift last time I looked...?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah! Silly me. Wrong name.
Tis the Paquis lift that goes half-way up to Tovière.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah... Makes sense. Probably my least-used lift (Paquis) but not sure quite why.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I don't think we've ever used Paquis either.
Only useful if living down in Lavachet.
Our usual home route from Toviere is down to Chaudannes lift, round the "Omlette Restaraunt", and then down Bleuets to hotel.
Saves us a walk up from the lake.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:
Ah! Silly me. Wrong name.
Tis the Paquis lift that goes half-way up to Tovière.

Gave it a bash earlier, so quiet on Henri compared to other runs (for obvious reasons) and the in piste snow was epic, it was almost over my boots in areas.

Didn't go up tichot, but the queue was enormous at lunchtime!

Tomorrow should be fun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where do I start? Well lets try yesterday first for those on weekly passes then this is the link you need for a refund or evidence for your Tour Op to pull their finger out:

https://ticketoski.fr/en/tignes/situation/717

We awoke to another 45cm of snow and a lot of blasting and it has snowed moderately all day. It was quite slow this morning, I was watching the lefties on Almes having to dig snow out so the chairs could go round. But before long Palafour opened and it was mayhem:

Nearly every chair had 6 on, if only we could manage this in February - must be mainly mad Brits out there! Talking of which I stopped in whilst my mates went out, whiteout but lots of soft snow is the report. Gradually, a few more lifts opened.

As only part of the resort opened today there will still be a lot of blasting tomorrow, luckily the winds have dropped. But it will be a case of being patient in the morning despite the inevitable 'powder fever' but given the temperatures and the wind there will be little powder (unless you are flogging holidays or ski lessons wink ) but lots of fresh tracks, care will be required, the forecast is Risk 3, but remember 54% or so of avalanche fatalities occur at this level.

And to the weather, the snow should stop in the next couple of hours and the sky should clear. The minutiae of tomorrows weather is a bit trick to pin down but we should wake to a milky sky and maybe sunny periods. The temperatures will be back up by lunchtime, but it will then cloud over and sometime late afternoon or early evening snow will start again down to 19-2000m, below which it will be sleet r even rain. Friday looks like being nice with sunny periods and warm gentle breezes, however one model is going for cloud all day! Saturday looks like starting with sunny spells but then the clouds will build up and the wind will pick up and light snow will start in the afternoon, so its likely snow chains may be required for those arriving on summer tyres in the afternoon. The snow will start at about 1600m or so. Forecasts vary wildly for Sunday mainly cloudy perhaps with precipitation, more likely in the afternoon but the snowline could be as high as 2000m.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, this is it. Packed up, ski kit out for tomorrow, then early start Friday back to the UK. It seems like a long time since we drove out in December.....even if we did go home for Christmas. The sunny weather has been fantastic (and very unusual for us...), the pistes have been in great condition although I was feeling the hardpack on the knees by the time it started snowing this week. Looking forward to a final blast tomorrow so hope the sun shows up early doors before it all gets knocked about. Great to catch up @chocksaway, may see you late season after we're back from the North American leg. Hope you enjoy all the new snow. A bientôt.
latest report
Group of 8 (2 familes - 4 adults & 4 kids aged 10-13) arriving 15th Feb for half term week. We are self catering but looking for somewhere for dinner Saturday evening in Le Lac, after what will no doubt be a long and busy day of travel, getting ski gear and unpacking. Can anyone recommend somewhere where we can book ahead that does good food at a reasonable price ? We are at the Montana complex end of town.

Also, how well does EK cope with queues over half term week ? We were in Grand Massif last year and it was awful ! Sadly the kids dictate we cant go off-peak ! Any hidden 'quiet' corners ? Will try to ski through lunch and stay late on the mountain until we're kicked off by piste security (weather permitting) !

Loving the arrival of the fresh snow. Hope it all calms down by mid-feb.

thanks !
Nick
snow report
@melandnick, After travelling I use the Escale Blanche, good pizzas and a glass of red for €18 or so. Its abput the closest resto to Montana, head to the Maison De Tignes, come up to the snow level and its behind you, just across the road is the Arbina, but you won't find me in there!

Tignes copes well with the queues in general, be first there to avoid the ski school rushbut do avoid the snow front in Val D'Isere until at least 1030, if you want the Solaise stay on the bus to Laisinant, the most underused chair in the resorts. And in Tignes avoid Grand Huit 1130-1215 and after 1500. Go down to Brev and Boisses over lunchtime, same for the Grand Motte, to get to the top plan to arrive up there at 1300.

@lynnecha, Have a great time in the States, see you soon.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Go down to Brev and Boisses over lunchtime, same for the Grand Motte, to get to the top plan to arrive up there at 1300.

I've never been when it's busy, but I'm a bit surprised by this comment. Are you saying these areas will be busy outside lunchtimes, or just that they are areas that are better able to cope when the resort's busy, and therefore a good place to run to when the snowfront is packed?

I've always found Brev/Boisses to be quiet, but Grand Motte to be busy (partly due to the bunching effect of funicular and cable car).
latest report
@thelem, Big queues can build for both Gondolas out of the two Bs, and the Aiguille rouge chair, but not over lunchtime, hence the recommendation.
snow report
Thanks very much for the advice chocksaway. I’ll take a look at escale blanche.
snow conditions
melandnick wrote:
Thanks very much for the advice chocksaway. I’ll take a look at escale blanche.

We are in Tignes this week & some of the party booked l’escale Blanche for lunch on Tuesday when the resort was all but closed by the storm.
They said it was very good.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Where do I start? Well lets try yesterday first for those on weekly passes then this is the link you need for a refund or evidence for your Tour Op to pull their finger out:

https://ticketoski.fr/en/tignes/situation/717

Many thanks for this link. There are 20 of us here with TO. How exactly does it work?
Should we just find a rep, show them that link & ask them to get a refund for us, or do they need a list of who went out & who didn’t eg are individual pass numbers required?

Have a great day today!
snow conditions
@cardweg, You'll have to ask how the TO claims the money back on your behalf as commission rates and agreements vary, don't be fobbed off!
latest report
@cardweg, Ski Total did it automatically a couple of years ago when the resort was shut completely. Took a month or so.

I would think that the big question is........do they consider it closed when there were a few lifts operating this week...and hence, will you get a refund?
snow report
Thanks @chocksaway,
snow conditions
A picture paints a thousand words;

So after however many hours off snow it was Palafour at 8.55! The sun was out, it was quite warm, and there were freshtracks to be had. So G, here for a week, hit the jackpot. The snow was quite compacted, even where it was deep we were only sinking in 3 or 4 inches, so not the powder of dreams, but wonderful skiing. There were some very windblown patches, back to the rocks or hardpack. After coming direct from Merles to Tichot (mixed) we did a couple of laps of the Palet drag, we were the first up there, but second time round it became clear it was Avalanche Risk 0 as a gentlemen in red was stood in a gully with 7 clients (ie not a point of safety), not a pack pack to be seen Shocked . Because of the Freestyle champs in the Park, the Palet drag became mobbed, new plan - under the altiport where the snow was fabulous and despite massive queues on Grattalu, Tichot was empty. So 5 laps of pure ecstasy, even the lifty commented! By then it was time (1130) for a second breakfast at Coco's. That done we popped up the Funi, the top part of the off piste was covered in softish sastrugi, but we were barely making a dent in the snow. Further down the Genepy pitches were much better. Next up was Telegraph, curious traverse through the bowl, very little snow, it must have been howling up there. The run down was good. By now the cloud was approaching so a couple more airport runs whilst the light faded. Last run before tea and medals was Lognan in the gloom, the snow was compacting quickly in the warm afternoon. And relax. Oh - best day of season for me (I was missing Xmas week though).

It started snizzling at about 1630.

The light snow will continue until the early hours, it will warm up through the night, so the snowline may reach 2100m. That will put an evill crust on the offpiste below a similar level. By breakfast time, maybe a bit later, the cloud should break and leave a day of sunny periods, light breezes and warm temps. We may well even have 5 cms or so of fresh at height. Saturday morning will be similar but sometime after mid day, maybe mid afternnon it will start snowing but only down to 1800 or 1900m so expect some comedy chainage action around the level of the Dam. Sunday looks miserable, cloudy, windy and snowy, but it will be rain up to around 2000m, good day for cleaning after guests depart! But perhaps 20cm at altitude. Monday is a puzzle, warm, very windy (lift closingly windy) and half the models are saying sunny periods have leaden cloud. Standby on that one!
ski holidays
What an amazing day. Worked our way across from 2100 to Fornet & back. Lots of room on piste and plenty to play on just beyond the markers.
On a more serious note, whilst our hotel food is very nice, I’m beginning to lose hope that we might get tartiflette for dinner.
Could any of you locals recommend a lunch spot with an exceptional tartiflette.
Tomorrow is our last day ☹️
latest report
Eterlou on rue de la poste, just up from the moose to link it to the beer thread. The circle of life Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Eterlou on rue de la poste, just up from the moose to link it to the beer thread. The circle of life Very Happy Very Happy

snow conditions
Quote:

Eterlou on rue de la poste, just up from the moose to link it to the beer thread. The circle of life

Shshhhhh, don't tell everyone!! It's my favourite restaurant
latest report
@cardweg, Bagus Café (known as Bagpuss in our group) does a decent 'flette. Also on the Rue de Poste.
ski holidays

No not the World Wide Web but Tignes today warm, wet and weird!

I stuck my nose out of the window at 6,30 (after a snow plough woke me up) and I could see stars. By 7.30 it was raining. The cloud remained until 10 and then cleared leaving a very warm day. Yesterdays tracks have virtually settled into the pack and the roads were awash mid afternoon. So early conditions were peculiar, a light frozen crust off piste and a strange surface on piste. Early doors we headed up Col du Palet, where it was still drizzling and freezing on the eye wear, so piste. The sky looked too be clearing so heading high (and less warm), we tried off Cairn, still a bit windblown but still with a crust. All the while we kept an eye on the Col du Ves chair status, no joy. Up Lanches again and the off piste by the side of Double M was heavier than yesterday but doable. Back up to Familial, given the conditions we were aiming to rejoin at the Tommeuses so it was rammed but after some nice turns we approached Triffolet with dread, but were met with perfect spring snow above the old ruins near the red and white pylons. Result! Grand Pre followed, tracked out but OK and then a secret pitch off Borsat, nice and also empty,. By this time lunch was called for, and Col de Ves opened. Piste charge over there, to find the runs were tracked out but Grande Balme was beckoning:

The lightest of crusts but still great:

By that stage the legs had had enough, bus back to avoid Frantic Friday. So not epic on yesterdays scale but a good day despite a number of changes of plan. But after todays warmth and a refreeze tonight I forecast horrors off piste tomorrow morning.

After a clear night the advice for tomorrow is something to do with early birds! There should be sunny periods but the sky will become overcast sometime after mid morning. The wind will then pick up and precipitation will start between 12 and 3 (ish), the snowline will be around the Dam so damp in the villages and not so pleasant. A few cm of snow higher up. It may be dry but cloudy over the cornflakes on Sunday but it will soon start to blow and it looks like rain potentially up to 2500m, so properly miserable. Monday looks warm with mostly sunny periods, but windy, high lifts closed. Tuesday is a long way off but snowy and very windy.

If you are driving tomorrow 28000 vehicles are expected to come up the valley from Albertville and 23000 descending. So a few jams on the way up, the lights at Aigueblanche will be regulating the flow at peak times mid afternoon I expect. As the snow starts to settle from the Dam in the late afternoon expect people to try and make it up without snow chains with the consequent buffoonery.

For the flier, the weather in the UK won't present problems based on the current forecast but it will be windy north of London and in Scotland expect a roller coaster in the last few thousand of feet. Over here will be OK at Lyon, but there is a chance of early fog (the wind will pick up and blow it away from mid morning) at Grenoble (No real probs), and Geneva (slow things up a bit), and Chambery, if it forms before take off at Chambery a bit of waiting on the tarmac, if you are in the air some holding and may be a diversion.

I'll have a look at the later forecasts tonight to see if they arrive but its fish and chip Friday at QDC so no promises!
snow conditions
Quote:
Yes, I don't think we've ever used Paquis either. Only useful if living down in Lavachet
- OR :
- For returning to Val Claret at the end of the day. Avoids what can be carnage from the top of Toviere to the getting off point of Paquis.
- For a quick connection from Le Lac to the Grande Motte lifts.
ski holidays
moosepig wrote:
@cardweg, Bagus Café (known as Bagpuss in our group) does a decent 'flette. Also on the Rue de Poste.

So long as you don’t have a nut allergy. Not great at labelling allergens.
ski holidays
The not so good news is the fog has already formed at Chambery. But the wind is forecast to pick up before daylight which should sort the problem but if its late in picking up stand by for delays......
snow report
The good news was it blew away early. Pheew.

Twas a nice morning, mild and mostly sunny. The pistes were empty and in very good condition, a bit of a breeze at height. Off piste was a non starter, anybody going the other side of the poles could be heard a mile away! I'm sure it softened but by then the clouds had arrived and the snow started very quickly once it arrived. It is just about rain here now at 2100m. This may be a good thing as the traffic jams down the valley are further away than you would normally expect at 4 o clock. If it continues to rain perhaps it wont be carnage for the last mike or so.

There is only one way to describe tomorrow, miserable. After a brief interlude in the precipitation it will start again at first light, initially it looks like rain to 2200m, but this will then rise to 2600m by mid afternoon. So unless yu have an umbrella to get you to a gondola of funi,not pleasant!. Of course at high altitude we will get a decent top up, maybe as much as 15cm. Monday will be much nicer, according to most forecasts, but by no means all. Best bet is warm, windy with sunny periods but don't rule out a shower at any stage. The mercury will drop by 6 or 7 degrees into Tuesday which will be windy and snowy all day, a welcome top up for all the resorts, especially the ones down the valley. Wednesday currently looks like a cold blustery day with sunny spells and snow showers.

The roads will be wet tomorrow but not that busy. The UK will be dreary early on, but improving, so no snags for flying. Over here it will be showery, but nothing to influence flying.
ski holidays
Currently snowing moderately to occasionally heavily in Le Lavachet. Temperature is hovering at or just below freezing depending which app you believe.

Might have to take one for the team and go check it out wink
latest report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Might have to take one for the team and go check it out wink

Oh, the soul-crushing hardship! Toofy Grin
latest report
@moosepig, Laughing Laughing Well that went from fun to foul in fairly quick order. Started okay. Not too windy and probably 4-5 inches of fresh snow settled on the piste. But.... within an hour it had warmed up considerably and the snow turned to rain. (It was indicating +7°c at the Paquis lift).

A quick pitstop for an excellent coffee at the Corner Cafe in VC then home via Tufs and Trolles (J. Clarey piste). Rain was running off the canopies in VC. Got to say chapeau to the moguls/aerials competitors this morning. Horrible conditions for any kind of competition. Now back at the apartment surrounded by dripping ski clothing. Not a very common occurrence at this altitude Shocked
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, I take it back. Going out in rain Shocked is more of a hardship than I'm prepared to endure, even on a 6 day trip. Chapeau.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy