Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Yet another nice day, though there is a bit of high cloud appearing as I type. We had a team charge to Le Fornet today, via Val Centre and lunch at Cascades. In general the pistes are getting harder and some areas are a bit polished, Rhone-Alpes is passed its best until it snows again. Not a lot else to say though.

Tomorrow will be very similar to today, there may be a few clouds more but essentially nice. Tuesday looks like a repeat, with less cloud, the breeze may approach 'cheeky' on the Beaufort Scale in the afternoon high up. And Wednesday will be monotonously similar, but barely a cloud. Thursday the same. Now there is change afoot for Friday, it looks like being unsettled with some snow late in the day, but if a ridge of high pressure reasserts itself then it may not get to us. The confidence in the forecast is low from Thursday, so expect the Apps to vary wildly over the week, hopes will rise, probably be dashed and then rise again. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This afternoon was fairly relaxed - we both did Bollin several times (mainly concentrating on getting the missus to keep her body pointing downhill, standing upright and weighting her skis correctly) and then left the missus in Corner Bar with a beer while I went up to annihilate Henri before the sun came down. As per usual, a fairly large proportion of it was spent sailing over bumps and generally cruising.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out on Weds, first time since mid Dec. Was hoping it might have snowed a bit since Christmas.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bar shaker, Sadly not. bit like last February, still there is hope........

Another lovely day with the thinnest of high level clouds to take the sting out of the sun. Due to a variety of excuses (head cold, not being able to get back off sheets and a switched off mobile) I ended up on my own till lunchtime when I met GeorgeVII. So I thought I would do a charge of the blacks brigade as it was Monday morning, the top of Face de B was fine, until I got to the corner just above 'wibbling ridge' where there seemed to be a bus load of French teenagers whose ambition had got the better of ability. So a quick pardon and I was through, did see the ensuing carnage from the lift.... Trollles (or more correctly Johan Clarey) was much clearer. After coffee GeorgeVII and I popped down to Boisses, a bit polished but doable.

In other news I have finished the plumbing letter, but had no reply. I hope I have not had a 'my hovercraft is full of eels' moment! Also: Hello Shipmates to the Royal Navy who have arrived for their annual championships.

Tomorrow will be a tad cooler and there will be a breeze even in the villages and with the extra cloud (more sunny periods than sunny) it may be worth half an extra layer. The sun will be back on Wednesday with just the odd cloud, but still a breeze. Thursday will be another nice day, the odd cloud maybe in the afternoon. Friday, a day subject to revision of the timetable. It will start OK, and the cloud will thicken progressively and it looks like it will snow, when this starts is a bit of a lottery, there may be the odd shower in the morning, or it may wait till lunchtime or even until after dark, standby. It will be 3 or 4 degs cooler, so together with the breeze it will start to feel like late January.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it normal to name things after people who are still active? Johan Clarey is still racing... I suspect that run will always be Trolles to many of us whatever bonkers alternative name they decide to give it.

Good to see the phrase "wibbling ledge" (or variants thereof) in common parlance Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@moosepig, IIRC they named a piste after Guerlain Chicherit whilst he was still on the go, but I think he was trying to kill himself driving a Dakar Rally Car rather than coming headlong down couloirs! As the "Piste formerly known as Trolles" is now Europa Cup accredited (if that's the right banter) I suspect lending it a bit of successful local racer cachet might help establish it. But yes, I will still go up on the Aeroski and comes down Trolles for many years to come. Very Happy

Onto today, a bit cooler and a breeze picked up mid morning. Just about sunny throughout but there were some interesting clouds around, a mix of cirrus and altocumulus lenticularis, so we had some interesting colours, a number of flying saucers and even a couple of mating jellyfish according to one member of the group, not sure how much Genepy had been consumed last night! It was a cruise round Bellvarde and up the GM, Genepy was deserted. here's a pic of Mont Blanc with a scarf rather than a hat:

There should be a lot less cloud tomorrow and the air will be 2 or 3 degs warmer so a grand day for a day out. There will still be a breeze so a bit nippy in the shade. Thursday is likely to be a repeat of today, a bit of cirrus and a bit cooler than Wednesday. Friday is still a conundrum, despite massive supercomputers on both sides of the Atlantic they are failing to agree, because the synoptic chart is both complex and a bit wishy washy. But on balance, it will be cooler, there will be some cloud in the morning, this will thicken at some stage and light snow will commence sometime between lunchtime and midnight. In the breeze and the shade it will feel cooler. Saturday will be a mixed bag, one way of saying that anything could happen. Confidence is low in the forecast but a mix of cloud, sunny spells and light snow showers. It will feel colder. Not enough snow to cause havoc on the roads by any means (unless the forecast changes), might need snow chains though........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.facebook.com/AlaFrancaiseFreeski/videos/2532266447060736/UzpfSTEwMjYyMzE5NzgzMTE3MzoxNDcwNzY5ODMzODU3OTQ/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another blue sky day, a few clouds did pitch up around lunchtime and there was quite a wind at height, but it was warm today, the roads are all running in the resort - good job it is about to cool down. Before the meet up I had a whizz round the Palet bowl and then we set sail for the Solaise via Face de Bellvarde, not bad! Next choice was Arcelle, "listen carefully I will say this only once" (this season) it was in that good condition we did it twice! After coffee at Le Lounge we noticed the 3000 Poma was running - here's a view I've not seen for 6 or 7 years:

The entrance to the mythical Tunnel is middle left, I was going to stop for a picture but the run was boilerplate and off piste was worse. Not sure it was worth the investment in the new Poma..... Next first for this season was Piste L, after the avi work it is now open, but its narrow and not a run for beginners. There are also a lot of embedded rocks near the cliff wall. I would rather have down Face twice than that! Home via Julian Clarey ( wink ) so a bit of a blacks day all round.

Tomorrow will be mostly sunny, a bit of high altitude cloud in the morning. It will be a good few degs cooler, so with the wind at height it will feel a good bit chiller than today. Then it all changes, the skies will cloud over on Friday morning and the snow should start after lunch, the wind will pick up a bit in the evening, there is still disagreement over how much and how long it will snow for but here's hoping for 10cm at least. It will feel much colder, winters backSnow chains likely on Saturday morning if you do not have snow tyres. Saturday will be a day of improvement, cold, breezy and the showers should clear by lunchtime, we may see the sun in the afternoon between the remaining fluffy clouds. Sunday looks like being sunny and cold, a few fluffy clouds in the afternoon. It will still be well into the negative temperatures in the sunshine at lunchtime.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Driving to Val d'Isere in two and half weeks, will be keeping eye on this thread for sure
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a bit confused by the picture, is that the actual run down from the drag which you are on, or a photo of the path which takes you to it? Or is the tunnel itself closed? I seem to recall you went through and off the back of it..(I never did it when it was open, I don't have the balls!!)

Either way that piste looks steep and very slippery!!!

[EDIT: Oh I get it, the run was open down one side of the peak, but closed off the other side via the tunnel. My statement still stands, I doubt I'll ever do either side!!)]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MikeyK, watch this thread too:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moosepig, ahh thanks Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two thirds of the way through the week here and the main thing to report is that it's incredibly warm for mid January. 7 degrees at the base of the Tichot lift at 1pm today. Ironically Bogus Junior declined to join this trip at least partly on the grounds that January in Tignes is too cold for comfort. Most of the pistes are in pretty good shape although I did notice a few very thin patches on the way down to Brev/Boisses this afternoon. More snow is definitely highly desirable.

This morning was interesting. I was at the base of the Motte and it was all bit crowded and I just couldn't be bothered to jostle my way onto the cable car. So, I thought, "Leisse is the easiest black run in the whole area" and I had done it before, albeit years ago. What I had failed to notice is that Leisse is now a naturide. I got down in one piece but it was not exactly my finest skiing. Oh well, you live and learn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bogusman, I've done Leisse once before with giant moguls on it. Not fun and I was glad it's relatively short!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfortunately I had a massive bale today courtesy of ESF - a “tiny terrorist” was attempting a snowplough turn, tried it twice, but then resigned himself to the fact that he was going to go straight on (at a fair bit of speed) into a group of four of us stood well to the side of Henri minding our own business. He completely took out the first guy, who then shoulder planted me, which then caused my pole to dig straight into my rib cage and the shock then sent over the other two guys. Fairly sure that there’s going to be a shiner there tomorrow Sad

The instructor followed fairly soon after, picked up said kid and proceeded to give him a royal telling off, not before he’d made sure that we were alright! A bit winded, but managed to limp down to Evolution 2 to pick up the missus from ski school (and a hearty burger in Corner). This afternoon was glorious yet again, and entailed a run of the Lac loop, up to Toveire, back down to the Folie Douce for a quick beer and then back to the flat for a walk over to Le Lagon.

Both of us are now planning two full days of skiing with lunch on the go to make the most of the end of the week.
latest report
@Fionelo, Hope you are all right!

It seemed a bit busier today, but yet another sunny day, albeit 3 or 4 degs cooler and a stiff breeze at height as a suitable reminder that it is still winter and standby - its another jumper alert for Saturday. Not a lot else to say really.

As the alarm sounds in the morning you may get glimpses of a sunrise, but the sky will cloud over soon enough as the front approaches, initially a milky sky and then proper cloud. It will start snowing somewhere between lunchtime and afternoon tea and the wind will pick up in the afternoon, could be quite a wild old night. The snowline will start around Brev, but it will rapidly descend down to below Bourg, so a slick old morning for those escaping on Saturday. As to Saturday itself, it will be the reverse, the light snow may continue until porridge is served, leaving us with a cloudy morning and sunny periods in the afternoon. The wind will ease off a bit but it will be much, much colder, another 2 layers on this week, winter mittens and hot chocolate! Sunday is a bit tricky, there will be variable amounts of cloud depending on what happens to the fronts, best guess a mix of cloud and sunny periods maybe, a bit less wind. There is no agreement on Monday, so I'll not bother but there will be some weather, probably. Its all to do with a weather system to the south (watch out for severe weather on the Costa Blanca) which can't make its mind up whether its going to leave Spain and come to France or not!
latest report
@chocksaway - fortunately I just had a sore head this morning and no other pain! How on Earth I managed not to crack a rib or puncture something is beyond me Smile

I had a relatively relaxed morning spending most of the time over on Grattalu / Merles / Aguille Percée getting on edge and charging down the side of the piste - had a few hairy moments off piste by Grand Huit, one of which ended in a spectacular cartwheel after having a fair few turns ‘fistful of moguls’ style. This afternoon was fairly good in contrast - a few guys I’d met earlier on in the week headed on over to the park on Grattalu for an hour of getting things out of our system but then a group of boarders descended so we moved on.

Tomorrow is very much going to be a day of winding down with an essence of “go hard because we’re going home”.
latest report
@chocksaway - fortunately I just had a sore head this morning and no other pain! How on Earth I managed not to crack a rib or puncture something is beyond me Smile

I had a relatively relaxed morning spending most of the time over on Grattalu / Merles / Aguille Percée getting on edge and charging down the side of the piste - had a few hairy moments off piste by Grand Huit, one of which ended in a spectacular cartwheel after having a fair few turns ‘fistful of moguls’ style. This afternoon was fairly good in contrast - a few guys I’d met earlier on in the week headed on over to the park on Grattalu for an hour of getting things out of our system but then a group of boarders descended so we moved on.

Tomorrow is very much going to be a day of winding down with an essence of “go hard because we’re going home”.
snow report
Really nice reading all the updates on the conditions and weather!
Quick question: We're arriving in Val D saturday morning. Would the amount of forecasted snow require us to bring snowchains for our (rented) car? Smile
snow conditions
@Bülow, Forget the weekend forecast, you dont know what may happen next week and you really dont want to be stuck up a mountain with no chains !

If you hire from switzerland I think they have to provide chains and snow tyres, cant remember if France is more laissez faire ?

More importantly, if conditions dictate the police wont let you arrive or leave Tignes / Val D without either a real 4x4 with snow tyres, or chains - thats something to bear in mind.
snow conditions
@Bülow,
If in doubt, have chains (and make sure they fit the wheels & that you can put them on and take them off before accepting/paying for them).
I say this as I was once on the way back to Tignes from dropping some mates off at Chambery airport and the police were turning back any vehicle (even if they had winter tyres and/or 4x4) without chains. Must admit I felt quite smug driving my chained up, front wheel drive, summer tyred Nissan Micra past all those trying (and failing) to argue the toss with the police. Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks. I'm not so worried about being stuck up there. But it would really suck if we are denied from driving up on arrival day. Smile

@Kenzie
Right, do you remember how much it was snowing? Currently approximately 15 cm is forecasted for tomorrow, but dunno if that will be enough to require chains? Smile
ski holidays
The picture we all wanted to see (taken at 1650 today):

Its snowing! And according to the avalanche bulletin we are expecting 15cm, so lets hope he is right. It is also Risk 3 tomorrow, so watch the powder fever.

Back to today. It was a nice but cooler morning, the cloud filled in but then disappeared again, so a good day until early afternoon. When the weather arrived it arrived quite quickly and its now falling moderately to heavily on the local scale. @Bülow, So I think snow tyres will be enough, if you have summers on the renters then chains will almost certainly be required, especially in the villages. Today's ski was a charge over to Val D'Isere with a mate's nephew who also happens to have a basic instructor qual, so it was off the lift and go and no faffing. With it being colder the pistes seemed to be less polished to day, so a bit easier to edge on the blacks, the pistes up on the Pissaillas were back to their groomed best, although the cannons have been on so there are a few white hippos about, a spot more flying time in the logbook! Shocked

The snow will continue until around breakfast time when the skies will progressively clear through the morning to leave an afternoon of sunny periods and cloud. Apart from the new snow the big difference will be the cold, the air temperature will be a good 5 degs lower than today and with a breeze it will feel 2 layers colder! (at least). Sunday looks like being mainly sunny, with the odd cloud on the peaks, it will be a couple of degs colder again and with a stiff easterly, I think it is safe to say Baltic! Monday will be pretty similar. Tuesday, may well have a bit more cloud, the breeze will be moderate and it will be a bit warmer.

For the travellers, the forecast is for 19k going home and 22k coming on holiday. I suspect there will be problems in the morning down to Bourg as the roads will be snowy, hopefully Les Flics will be out insisting on chains. Once below Bourg I don't see many problems. Same on the way up, but by peak times the main roads should be cleared, but chains may well be needed for the last mile or two. For flying, it appears to be the calm after the storm on both sides of the Channel, so no weather issues at all in the airport forecasts.
snow report
Thanks to a bus on fire below Les Brev we appear to be stranded up here till midnight!
snow conditions
I was toying with the idea of getting a half day pass just for this morning, but due to having a dodgy ankle, no feeling in my legs or feet and boots in a questionable condition, everything was pointing to it being a bad idea!

Roads appear to be open right the way up to VC with the ploughs and diggers being out from the early hours (right outside our window as well!). Not sure what the conditions will be like further down but I’ve got the chains in action stations ready to go.

There seems to be a good 2-3 inches on the ground, possibly more higher up so next week will be a blast!

Signing out for this year (unless something last minute turns up online Twisted Evil)
snow conditions
Fionelo wrote:
I was toying with the idea of getting a half day pass just for this morning, but due to having a dodgy ankle, no feeling in my legs or feet and boots in a questionable condition, everything was pointing to it being a bad idea!

Roads appear to be open right the way up to VC with the ploughs and diggers being out from the early hours (right outside our window as well!). Not sure what the conditions will be like further down but I’ve got the chains in action stations ready to go.

There seems to be a good 2-3 inches on the ground, possibly more higher up so next week will be a blast!

Signing out for this year (unless something last minute turns up online Twisted Evil)

Have a good trip home.

The idea of "one last run / morning" always sounds better the night before Laughing
ski holidays
Quite a night on the roads, a car 20m down a ravine and then the bus - which was taken roughly from behind by a van and a car. A fire started and the bus was completely destroyed. The road re-opened around 2.30am, in the meantime refuges for weary travellers were set up in Val Tignes and Bourg.

Unfortunately, Meteo France amended the Chambery forecast in the middle of the night to low cloud and fog for the forst arrivals, one rich person in his gulfstream has diverted, the Amsterdam has diverted to Lyon and the first 2 TUIs (Crystal, most likely) are heading for the hold. Sad

Official scores on the doors are 14cm in the village and 20 up top. It was beautiful at 8, its now clouded over. Just about to dog the transceiver out for the first time for 10 days.
snow report
Quote:

the first 2 TUIs (Crystal, most likely) are heading for the hold

Does that mean they think the vis will improve, presumably they would divert to GVA as an alternate if not?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay, That's what they are hoping, a couple of knots more wind would clear it in a flash. When are you out??
latest report
BAs from City and MAN delayed 3 hours Sad
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, That's what they are hoping, a couple of knots more wind would clear it in a flash. When are you out??

Cheers.

We fly out a week tomorrow, 7am from EDI, so (vis and traffic dependent) usually get a few turns on Rosset before they close up..........which means we get to turn up in the pub pretending we shredded it all day Very Happy

We are near the corner along from the chardonet drag - unclear on exact timings for our catered grub this year, but we are always out (conforming to scottish stereotypes) so deffo liaise to buy you that beer at some point in the Embu?

The lads are keen to see who the Tignes weather expert is Very Happy
ski holidays
@GreenDay, Magic, I've got mates out so will be in the Embu most nights, Cave du Lac on Monday. I'll PM you my number later as the window says no but the webcams say yes- so weather office closing down temporarily.

Meanwhile the 3 TUIs have diverted to either LYS or GNB - can't tell where yet - poor old Crystal reps.
snow report
@Bülow,
Loads. But it doesn't matter how much it is snowing, it is how much is accumulating on the road that matters.
snow report
What a great day. A face plant for starters. Quiet pistes, first tracks and sunshine as the cloud dissipated. Great company, a lost (and found) ski. Snow over the boots in places and rounded off with a sugar hit of Coffee and Cake.

Beers to follow in the Embu.
latest report
As George said fab. The skies were clear to start with after the 6 inches of snow but cloud drifted up the valley obscuring the villages. But a quick glimpse of the webcams showed that it was clear above 2500m. So the view from the top of Palafour was quite a treat:

The pistes were in fantastic condition as most of the snow had fallen before the bashers had been out. Off piste was a mixed bag of a pitch of great light snow, followed by a pitch of banging off the hard surface beneath. So it was a day for balance and core strength, but damn tricky at times. There was a bit of avalanche activity around, of course the charge to the Chardonnet Bowl was predictable - about 30 in the queue at the top, clearly taking no notice of the orientations where the triggering had occurred. So we concentrated on the Palet sector, which we had to ourselves:

Marvellous! We then popped down past the altiport, a recharge at Coco's and then up the Motte where the snow was much more windblown apart from the gullies. By then it was late lunchtime and the legs needed a rest.

After a very cold night, tomorrow will dawn sunny and cold. There will be a breeze at altitude which will chill the skin somewhat if it is exposed! There may be some clouds on the peaks. There will be more clouds about on Monday but still plenty of sun I think, but there will be a harsh easterly, especially at height and the air will be very cold. Wrap up! The amount of cloud is difficult to forecast as it is coming from the northern edge of a weather system over the western Med, not sure how far its going to creep towards us. They will certainly need a brolly on the costas! Again, sunny spells on Tuesday and variable cloud, the air will be quite a bit warmer but with the wind it won't seem like it! Currently, Wednesday looks much more benign with mostly sun.

For those travelling tomorrow, there will be some wind tomorrow, so hopefully an open Chambery. Up there the wind will be from the North so the pilot may elect to break off his approach and do a circuit of the Town, which is entirely safe but you do get some dramatic views, especially on the left of the aircraft. It may be a bit drab for the first few flights to Lyon and Grenoble, this will clear and Geneva is fine. In the UK Birmingham has a chance of early fog but Manchester is going for freezing fog from daybreak until lunchtime which may slow things up a bit as everything moves round a bit more slowly. Having two runways there does help!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 18-01-20 17:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
What a great day. A face plant for starters. Quiet pistes, first tracks and sunshine as the cloud dissipated. Great company, a lost (and found) ski. Snow over the boots in places and rounded off with a sugar hit of Coffee and Cake.

Beers to follow in the Embu.

Sounds like an awesome first day! We woke up this morning to it still dumping down and the bulldozers going full whack all night - definitely made the end of the week even worse.

We had an almost tearful drive down the hill and then a drag race up to Dijon where the real carnage ensued - moral of the story is don’t get a city centre hotel no matter how cheap it is!

Tomorrow’s back up to Arras at the usual overnight stop, then the ferry back and work on Thursday Skullie!
snow conditions
So anybody thinking about staying in Dijon overnight...

We were sat outside of a bar, casually drinking and having a smoke and 6 French army guys (probably Forgeign Legion) marched down the street, guns out, barrel up (and I noticed fairly quickly that the safety was off), and asked us for our ‘documents’ which consisted of presenting driving licenses and passports and explaining in our best Frenglish “we’re driving back from skiing in the Alps and we don’t speak much French”.

At this point they got on the blower in their van, spoke some French and then moved on. We were sat in the same place about 30 minutes later and they came round again and stared at us.

Probably given everything that’s happened they’re on high alert.

UPDATE 2: It appears from my friends in the area that the army were doing a training excercise around the Palais and were practicing counter-terrorism drills - what that had to do with 2 people drinking outside a bar I will never know
latest report
@chocksaway,
Sound like you guys have much better conditions than Les Arcs so we may well drive up from Bourg early next week - any particular recommendations given we don't know the area very well (I have only done the PSB in Dec past) or is it a case of follow your comprehensive reports?
Any idea how ST Foy has faired with he latest snow?
latest report
@snowheid, For on piste anywhere above 2000m is good, just a bit of artificial on the run into La Daille. Off piste is mainly tracked out now and as there really wasn't quite enough snow to cover the previous horrors its a case of 6 nice turns then a dozen where you have to have your wits about you. Its quite tricky to tell, we thought Charvet had been in the lee, looked over the top and all we could see was windblown hard pack. A....bout turn!

It was chilly today, that high cloud from the south came further north than the computers suggested, so that made it feel even colder, typically it retreated about 3pm. There were lots of thermometers in the minus double figures today so we had a lark around Borsat, and then around Grand Pre. A warm up in the Rosée Blanche and then familial where the snow was OK but hard work, at least that warmed the toes up. However, as the locals were racing we had to re-enter civilisation via Trifollet which was hard pack carnage, because there are no snow cannons, it deteriorates really quickly especially as it catches the morning sun.

If you thought today was cold then:

Tomorrow will have similar temps to today but there will be a strong breeze in the villages, it will be brutal at height! Il fait froid du loup as the locals say (not sure why its as cold as a wolf - but who am I to argue?). There will be some clouds, probably, maybe less in the afternoon, but the light should remain reasonable if not perfect. Hopefully no worse than today. Tuesday will be similar sun, cloud and wind wise but the air will be 5 or 6 degs warmer you may not notice though in the wind. After a cold night Wednesday will feel more like the middle of last week, with temps around zero by lunchtime, it will be a cols start. Mainly sunny methinks. Thursday looks like a return to early spring before a bit more unsettled weather. With the winds tonight, the snow is going to move about, the avalanche risk will be 3 at height, watch for loaded slopes.
latest report
Thanks for that @chocksaway - it sounds as if the off piste at Tignes is very similar to Les Arcs at the moment - in fact in the trees at Peissy/Vallandry may be more consistent.
Will keep an eye on your fantastic updates and may dodge up there next week if conditions get good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy