Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, Quite a few, luckily they don't seem to darken our doors over in Tignes.

@lynnecha, Looking forward to it - Monday Night at Cave du Loop 6pm, its now a regular gig for me wink

Happy New Year! Last night was spent at Niurou as promised for a NYE extravaganza - and very good it was too. As ever, the fireworks were fab, seemed to be more than ever on the snow front, and with cars everywhere I'm not surprised.

We have already had 400cm of snow this year, the whole of last season was 474, but still a way to go to beat the 866 of the 17/18! Shame a lot of it has consolidated (or vanished lower down).

So New Year, early start:

Yes that is Tichot at 0855, the pistes were deserted for a couple of hours, so we made the most of them before the hangovers came out at 11 o clock! We cruised round the Palet sector and the Grand Motte - blissful for the first hour and a half, then it was back for lunch and a catch up with the pillow!

Tomorrow will be very similar to today, there may just be a bit more wind at altitude to make it feel a bit cooler. On Friday there will be a milky sky, but it will be a bit warmer with less breeze. The cloud will thicken in the afternoon. Saturday will start cloudy, windy and much colder, it will feel like winter, the sun should make an appearance in the afternoon as the cloud starts to break up ahead of another sunny Sunday, with temperatures like today. Looks like we will have to wait until late Wednesday/early Thursday before any snow arrives and, of course, that's not certain.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A fairly big day out on skins. Another blue sky day with the breeze at altitude, which was quite welcome given the exercise! We funicked up to Leisse and then skied down to Lac des Nettes, which was OK, a bit sun affected:

Then came the hour and a half of up to the Col de la Sana, the snow over the top was fab - 7 or 8 inches of compacted powder:

And the turns to come were on nice snow as well:

There followed a bot of a tour round Mont Roup and into the stream bed (avoiding the iced up waterfalls) before emerging into the Manchet Valley and the raging hordes.

I should sleep well tonight!

The weather for tomorrow is all a bit indistinct, there is a decaying cold front heading our way, which won't produce any snow (maybe the odd flocon in the breeze tomorrow night) the sky maybe overcast or there might be the odd sunny spell, kinda wait and see. The cloud will thicken in the evening and this will persist into Saturday, it should break up during the day and allow the sun to peep out in the afternoon. There is a real battle going on between warm air to the south and colder to the north, not sure who will wil but Saturday looks cooler and with a breeze on high - it may be worth an extra layer. Sunday and Monday will be pretty much like today, sunny, maybe the odd fluffy cloud and a gentle breeze. Still mild for the time of year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love reading this thread guys. It’s been nearly 30 years since I was last in l’espace Killy but only a couple of weeks until I’m back there again. Can’t wait!
CW
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cardweg, well the mountains are just as wonderful and you’ll definitely notice the difference in lifts since then!

2 modern gondolas out of Val D’Isere up to Solaise and Bellevarde. Another very new one out of La Daille up to what is now the Folie Douce.

Tignes 1800 and 2100 (Le Lac) both had new gondolas in the last 5 years or so. I think even the underground funicular from Val Claret towards Grande Motte is an addition. Quite a civil engineering challenge, which overran by a couple of years or so, back in the mid 90s I think.

Numerous fast higher capacity chairlifts, several having made a huge difference. Tommeuses, the cranky old 20 minute, often windblasted, ride, with frequent stoppages, up to the Toviere. Also Borsat, up to Col de Fresse. Rarely big queues these days as you’re whizzed to the peaks.

A few quaint old lifts remain, for a bit of nostalgia. La Fornet quite good for that, with the old cable car from the valley and last temaining T Bar up on the glacier.
Also chairs for dozing on over the Aiguille Percee side of Tignes.

Enjoy and look forward to hearing how it goes. Trip report??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well it wasn't too bad weather wise, mainly a milky sky over Tignes but it did look a lot darker out towards Italy. After yesterdays exertions it was a quiet piste day. First stop was Brev having done Sache, it was very polished even at the top and down the bootom there are a few stones and some big slick moguls (definitely a black run today - in answer to the banter on the 'next door' thread'). So having been to the bootom we went to the top over lunchtime (well not quite) - less had nice chalky snow but the bumps were quite big - to be expected now its a Naturide - which means it is declared safe by the pisteurs but doesn't get bashed! The rest of the pistes we tried in between were fine.

As today was not that interesting heres a pic of me by the frozen waterfall yesterday - courtesy of @tigski:

The sky has just cleared, but it will be temporary and tonight may well be quite overcast. It will clear through tomorrow morning, how soon will be resolved by looking out of the window. Hopefully soon as the other view will be the raging hordes vanishing downhill Very Happy Very Happy However - jumper alert - for one day only it will be a lot cooler as a spike of cold air nabs us from the North and with quite a breeze expected at height it will feel chilly. Temperatures will be restored for Sunday and Monday which will see virtually unbroken sunshine and just light breezes. Tuesday will be mainly cloudy, maybe the odd break in the cloud in the afternoon and with a breeze it will feel a bit cooler. Later in the week now looks to be dry, ie no snow - hope it changes back to yesterdays forecast.

For the travellers the main problem will be the roads going downhill, they will be clear of snow and ice but with 30000 vehicles heading out of the Tarentaise it will be relatively slow, leave before 9 or after 3! For those flying, from the UK it will be OK down south, showery oop north and in Scotland, but nothing to cause problems. But if you are using Leeds or Newcastle it will be quite bumpy. Geneva looks fine for flying, it will be a bit misty in the morning around Lyon and Grenoble, nothing to worry about. But there is a chance of thick mist at Chambery, if this forms expect delays in the form of waiting on the ground in the UK or a few times round the hold.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/856332798129079/

https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/516149165679725/UzpfSTc4NTQxMTM5ODIwMDA0MjozMjY4NTIxODEzMjIyMzA5/

https://www.facebook.com/TignesUK/videos/501704330459893/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, Forgot to mention the microlight brothers were flying with 500m streamers the other day, they circled Toviere and nearly caught the back end of the streamer/banner up. Couldn't get my camera out quick enough. Certainly worth a trip!

Right today, the coldest day of my season so far, the mercury was 5 or 6 degs lower and with a sharp south westerly above 2700m it was decidedly chilly. Glad I read my own forecast.... Whilst everyone was heading downhill we had mostly quiet pistes to ourselves below blue skies, unlike the poor folks at Chambery where the fog formed and caused chaos with delays and diversions aplenty. It also allowed the Tignes folk to open the walking route across the lake for the first time (bar the odd few minutes). The pistes were firmer today with the cold, occasionally a modicum of skill was required - good job the pistes were quiet for some otherwise it would have been carnage. We did most of Bellvarde and up the Grand Motte (cable car shut due to the wind) and Croque o clock was declared at the Rosée Blanche! In order to solve the issues with Bollin Fresse STGM have now decoupled the 2 lifts to avoid synchronisation problems, so from the snowfront you can only do Bollin, everyone has to get off and then reload if you want to use Fresse. Hopefully it will mean a lot less stops and mechanical fubars.

Back to normal for Sunday - blue skies, sunshine and back to the temperatures of yesterday, there will still be a breeze at altitude. Monday looks like being the same without the breeze. A few fluffy clouds on Tuesday and a couple of degs cooler before its back to the blue on Wednesday. Doesn't appear to be any sign of snow this week.

For those travelling by air no weather problems anywhere, providing the fog clears before dawn at Chambery as is forecast, it may well not even form. Bit bumpy in Scotland as there will be a gusty wind.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And as if by magic the microlighting brothers were back with their towed streamers (not great pictures as the alignment of me, them and the sun was not optimal!)

The aircraft is on the right. Then brother came and joined the fun:

So that's covered today's weather, a couple of degrees warmer and not a lot of wind. So a piste cruise for a Sunday morning, nothing significant to mention really apart from the empty slopes.

High pressure is still dominating so tomorrow will be like today but a bit warmer. There is a weather system to the north for Tuesday so there will be some high cloud about, nothing really to spoil the day though, maybe a hint more breeze. Wednesday looks similar, perhaps more cloud in the morning before it clears - basically the cloud will ebb and flow. Thursday again looks mainly sunny. After that there is discord and disharmony over the forecast, Friday could be sunny (French and Norwegians), or quite snowy (Swiss and American) - stay tuned!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another cloudless day and very little breeze, so we decided to pop down from the Col du Palet to Plan du Janin and skin back up, and also to do a bit of practice with the couteaux (the ski crampons that attach to touring skis if it gets a bit icy). The snow on the way down was great, 6 inches of sugary snow and remarkably untracked, given that it is nearly 2 weeks since it snowed. All got a bit warm on the way back up though! Popped into Coco Rico for a coffee on the way back, they have extended the snacks menu from just pizza to include hot dogs and chips - not a bad port of call for a quick snackette and its never busy.

Right, the weather is not going to be dramatic but the forecast will change in the detail as the isobars and weak fronts wriggle about like a plate of spaghetti. Tomorrow will be mostly sunny, perhaps some high cloud in the morning but it will be 3 or 4 degs cooler and there will be a sharp breeze in the villages, which will be a wind on high, maybe the cable car will be closed and you will need another layer compared with today. Wednesday will be more like today, a gentle breeze and just bits of cloud bubbling along at height. Thursday will again be similar in the morning, maybe a hint more breeze and the cloud will start to thicken ahead of Friday. Friday's forecast is far from certain but most of the models are now suggesting that we will have showers of snow interspersed with sunny periods from early doors on Friday until mid afternoon, not much snow forecast at the moment but at least enough to smarten the place up a bit!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit cooler today and driving back up from Bourg I could see quite a lot of snow moving at height in the wind. But all I have to report is the pistes in Lidl were calm, but the frozen section was poorly stocked!

It will warm back up again tomorrow and the beeze will drop, there may be a few fluffy clouds around, but nothing to spoil the day. Thursday will be very similar, maybe a bit more cloud in the afternoon and a bit of a breeze. Friday is still perplexing, we are back to the Swiss saying snow in the early morning and the rest saying not, but they agree it will be 3 or 4 degrees colder and the breeze will stiffen. Saturday currently looks sunny with the unseasonal warmth returning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a few bits of high cirrus cloud today, and no breeze. As we are having much colder nights the snow on ost of the pistes is in very good condition, so a good charge round today (mostly before the student trip was out of bed). Lift served off piste is now done until it snows again. However, there are some areas that have really nice chalky stuff if you don't mind the odd bump, notably between Double M and the P's. Not a lot else to say really.

Tomorrow will be warmer and mostly sunny, maybe the odd bit of cloud. It will cloud over, most likely after the lifts shut and the re might be a dusting of snow in the early hours of Friday, depending how far the front comes down from the north west. It will be mostly cloudy with a hint of sun in the afternoon perhaps. The sun will return by lift opening on Saturday, it will be a cold night but should warm up like today. Sunday, pretty much a repeat with a hint of breeze at altitude.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the 'Nothing new under the sun department'

https://mountainfilmawards.com/tignes2020

A version of this was on the go in the Noughties. There was also a summer season competition. Good to see it back, though. Was always a fun evening in the Melting Pot watching the efforts - usually of a high standard given the limitations.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Just a few bits of high cirrus cloud today, and no breeze. As we are having much colder nights the snow on ost of the pistes is in very good condition, so a good charge round today (mostly before the student trip was out of bed). Lift served off piste is now done until it snows again. However, there are some areas that have really nice chalky stuff if you don't mind the odd bump, notably between Double M and the P's. Not a lot else to say really.

Tomorrow will be warmer and mostly sunny, maybe the odd bit of cloud. It will cloud over, most likely after the lifts shut and the re might be a dusting of snow in the early hours of Friday, depending how far the front comes down from the north west. It will be mostly cloudy with a hint of sun in the afternoon perhaps. The sun will return by lift opening on Saturday, it will be a cold night but should warm up like today. Sunday, pretty much a repeat with a hint of breeze at altitude.

Any idea what the extended forecast is saying for next week?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Groundhog day anyone? I could cut and paste yesterdays report but I won't. About the only difference was the idiot in a white Bogner Jacket just above La Daille who was out of control and shouted at me from behind. Anyway he missed me, just. I was with a steady group, I don't think he was expecting the Chock's schuss which meant we arrived at the Gondola at the same time, a little chat was had. Seems this thread is now imitating The Val one!

Meanwhile, it is worth expanding on the link Steve posted regarding the new technique that they are experimenting with in Val for releasing an avalanche from a reptation, or glide crack, fish mouth, whale mouth. The science on these cracks is very complex and they can release at any time of day or night, or indeed never. So predicting them is nigh on impossible. But they had a biggy on the cliffs above Piste L (which is why it is shut - but of course lots of folks know better than the pisteurs). So they connected a fire hose to the snow cannon system and hosed it down for over 2 hours before it went, properly went. AIUI the idea is to make it that heavy that it has to slide, the results are here:

http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=vids You will have t search for the 8 Jan, as it wont link direct to a video.

So Bravo to the chaps in Val for experimenting to make us all safer.

And the weather. Friday has been an issue for over a week now and still anything could happen. LOOTW. The night will be much colder, so wrap up in the morning. It will be mainly cloudy, the sun may make an appearance and if we are lucky and the weather system creaks over towards us we may get some light showers of snow, not a lot but every little helps. Normal service is resumed on Saturday, sunny blue skies and just the odd cloud on the peaks, the temperature will return to what we had today. The night will be cold though. Sunday - Same. Monday Same!

@Fionelo, I have had a look at the Jetstream forecast, the jet starts to move south towards the end of next week (Thu/Fri) so should bring some unsettled weather which is starting to show up in the long term forecasts. But, at the moment we could really do with it to come further south. But its a good way from being certain..........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, just sipping my first G&T of the evening as I await our departure from 'ull. If the drive over is anything to go by it could be a rocky one.
latest report
@GeorgeVII, splendid, hope you are deck 4 in the middle on the North's finest cruise liner. Shame you can't make F&C at QDC tomorrow..
snow report
Deck 4 indeed. I'm staying in Troyes tomorrow night so it's a leisurely cruise down. Aiming to get into apartment at around 1.30pm on Saturday.
ski holidays
If you see a slim ski racer of this parish hitching down from Paris cos the trains are en greve again, you'd better pick him up wink
snow report
Cheers for that @chocksaway!

We’re currently making a quick overnight stop off in Saint-Parres-Aux-Tertres due to having driven solidly since 0600 this morning from The Shire with a quick hour and a half respite on the ferry! Having driven for about 4 hours France side in the pouring rain barely able to see, occasionally having to pass a lorry at which point the only way to proceed was to guess where the road was and hope for the best Sad

Does anyone know on the off chance where I can get another pair of headlamp adaptors either in Albertville (our next overnight tomorrow) or in BSM / Val Claret, as I’ve managed to make a monumental balls up of the passenger side (I knew I should have done them when we boarded in Dover!) and only noticed when people were flashing me for the last hour of the drive. I’m a bit hesitant to take the current one off, knowing my luck it’ll never go back on again!
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
If you see a slim ski racer of this parish hitching down from Paris cos the trains are en greve again, you'd better pick him up wink

I have received a message from eurostar saying the train will be 90minutes late into Paris due to track works. My Paris to chambery train is actually running but I will miss it Sad

Can't see me making f&c either!
ski holidays
Judging by the fact that the neighbouring car park has been temporarily claimed as a dirtbike course complete with scramblers, trials bikes and the usual 50cc pea shooter; we’re moving on. Having been in fear of the wife ever since the full English crisis onboard the ferry (DFDS aparently has a different definition of ‘full english’), I think my favour points are severely lacking Sad

Hoping to get to Albertville by early morning in time for fresh croissants courtesy of Carrefour, coffee courtesy of Ibis instant coffee in a thermos flask and a liberal quantity of Marlboroughs finest gold courtesy of the duty free carton in the boot.

Safe to say, I’m going to be sleeping tonight
snow conditions
Fionelo wrote:
Judging by the fact that the neighbouring car park has been temporarily claimed as a dirtbike course complete with scramblers, trials bikes and the usual 50cc pea shooter; we’re moving on. Having been in fear of the wife ever since the full English crisis onboard the ferry (DFDS aparently has a different definition of ‘full english’), I think my favour points are severely lacking Sad

Hoping to get to Albertville by early morning in time for fresh croissants courtesy of Carrefour, coffee courtesy of Ibis instant coffee in a thermos flask and a liberal quantity of Marlboroughs finest gold courtesy of the duty free carton in the boot.

Safe to say, I’m going to be sleeping tonight

Ah, takes me back to "the good old days" of my mid 30s when I used to rock up in Tignes with a 200 carton of duty free Marlboro Reds, safe in the knowledge that I would be visiting the Tabac half way through the week and wondering where the hell* I smoked all those fags???

* The answer, of course was a combo of the Wobbly Rabbit, Petit Pub, Cav Du Lac or some other drinking den til 4am

My wife told me she was pregnant 15 years ago pre Tignes so I smoked like a crazy man for a week, and had my last one at a bar in Frankfurt airport (as we had missed out Easyjet flight home and had to fly a GVA/FRA/LGW/EDI route to get home........)

A simpler, if unhealthier, time Very Happy
snow report
@Fionelo, Just out of interest which Hotel were you in in St B. I use the B&B opposite Leclerc, hope the yoof of Troyes are not going to be a persistent nuisance.....

@GreenDay,
Quote:

The answer, of course was a combo of the Wobbly Rabbit, Petit Pub, Cav Du Lac or some other drinking den til 4am

Now that's a trip down memory (or lack of it) lane. Did you ever come back from VC in the Wobbly Van driven by Charles? 20 Ski Olympic guests in the back of a transit was the record I think.
latest report
@Fionelo,

Just go old skool with a bit of gaffer tape.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, I was in that same B&B last night, we left around 0900 after we’d got sick of snoozing the alarms and I’d finished unpacking and repacking the car.

We had a fairly dull drive today until we got to around Lyon and then the cloud broke and the rain stopped. The missus slept until we were almost in Chambery and was promptly awoken by some obscene, country-specific language as a German in a Mercedes decided to temporarily not use his mirrors thus resulting in liberal usage of the brake pedal.

I think the plan this evening is to get the shopping done for the week and then walk into Albertville for a burger and a well deserved beer before getting an early night for the 0600 start tomorrow morning!
snow report
Well the weather system did just make it to us. So it was a bit dreary this morning, effectively it did make the village go white for a couple of hours with the 1cm of snow and led to a massive wave of LMF amongst the ski buddies. So I charged up Petit Col on the skins and then got on with some jobs. Delving into the depths of plumbing French was hard work. Basically the heating pump is not up to it and I keep having to bleed my upstairs rads, but they keep dodging the issue.

The sun did come out about 11 and there has been enough light for thise that got out, perhaps not at altitude as some clouds persisted on the peaks. It will be a cold night tonight, so despite the sun and blue sky it will feel cold in the morning. It will soon warm up to the levels we saw earlier in the week. Sunday will also be glorious. There may be a cloud or two on Monday afternoon, nothing to spoil thinks though. Still unseasonably mild. Tuesday may see more cloud as another weather system approaches from the north-west, but it won't bring any snow. Still very unsure about the end of the week and what will happen, it changes hour by hour.

The roads will not be too bad tomorrow with 18k vehicles leaving the Tarentaise and 20k arriving. So barring any fender benders all will be good. For those flying, it will be windy and bumpy in the UK, especially in Scotland where the crosswinds could exceed limits for a few moments in the more blustery showers, just a bit of hanging around in the hold maybe. Currently no probs over here, hopefully the Crystal guests will have a seamless journey home from Shamblesberry.

First Fish and Chips of the New Year tonight. snowHead
latest report
@chocksaway, Genuinely cant remember re van, will ask the "mate who seems to remember everything".

All I remember is a lot of legging it down the stairs at the lift to catch buses at zero dark 30 or taking the loooong cold walk across the lake down to Lavachet - it was our peak drinking years and the antics were all a bit embarrassing to be honest !!
snow conditions
Quote:
The answer, of course was a combo of the Wobbly Rabbit, Petit Pub, Cav Du Lac or some other drinking den til 4am
Wow! Flashback time! My karaoke debut (I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats Laughing ) was in The Wobbly Rabbit in about 1990! But where was it located Puzzled All I remember is that it was possibly downstairs (??)...in Val Claret(??)...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking of flashbacks, came across a street view of La Banana's!

Many a drunken night in early 2000's. One afternoon's apres ski, broke the Dr Pepper record rolling eyes , thought it would be a good idea to check on the Ski's, nothing there, not mine or a single other pair? Thankfully the barmaids thought it would be nice to bring our telemarks inside as they were the only ones left!

Only at that point did we realise it was past midnight, still in full gear and missing dinner!
snow conditions
Wobbly Rabbit was on the way out of VC on the top road LHS IIRC. Of the same era I remember Pub Marilyn, and having 2 bottles of Jack D with my name on behind the bar in the Playboy Club to last the week. Great fun, what I can remember.
snow report
endoman wrote:
Wobbly Rabbit was on the way out of VC on the top road LHS IIRC. Of the same era I remember Pub Marilyn, and having 2 bottles of Jack D with my name on behind the bar in the Playboy Club to last the week. Great fun, what I can remember.

I can always remember walking into Inside Bar, but never how I managed to end up at the bottom of the tunnel towards Bollin, face down in the snow with all of my valuables scattered in strategic places in a 2 metre radius
ski holidays
I was in the wobbly rabbit about 28 years ago. Fabulous place. I played Jenga there for the first time. We had a shoebox self catering appartment somewhere in VC, was the worst place I've ever stayed. Said it was self catering, I remember a 2 ring hob with absolutely no cooking utensils or pans!
Well I'll be out there in my favourite loft space at laverchet lodge on sunday. Can't wait. snowHead
latest report
From memory lane - back to today...... A picture paints a thousand words:

A bluebird Saturday in January! It was cold overnight so the going on piste was officially good to firm. But as it was still cold the snow cannons were on in places that need a bit of a top up. It was a full on charge around up to the Solaise where even Arcelle was in good condition. No queues, empty pistes - bliss and fuelled by Duncan's halibut from last night.

Not quite so cold overnight tonight, but tomorrow will be very much like today with a few more folks on the slopes. Quite pleasant by lunchtime in the sun if you fancy a sit on a terrace. Monday won't be that much different, a bit of cloud at height early on and maybe a bit of a breeze in the afternoon. Tuesday, same again, maybe a bit more cloud according to some forecasts. Wednesday sees a bit of a change, more cloud about with the sunpeeping through rather than dominating, a bit stronger on the wind too. As for snow, most forecast are showing some later in the week, not all.

For the fliers tomorrow, in the UK it will be a bit dank in the South until just after first take offs and then a chance of a shower anywhere, nothing to worry about though. Over here Geneva will be fine, but there is a reasonable chance of fog at Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery. If it forms at Lyon, no snags; Grenoble, if its at its thickest maybe a few delays; Chambery - will be shut until it clears to the 2 flights in the morning.

Right, tonight its free pizza at the Brasero as a result of us winning a prize in the Cave du Loop Charity Quiz just before Christmas.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, where was that photo taken if you don’t mind me asking?

Both of us had a fairly chilled day today - we arrived in Val Claret around 0800, collected the lift passes and then proceeded to do a few warm up runs of Bollin before venturing further afield towards Val D. The weather was absolutely glorious today, couldn’t have asked for a better day, although it got a bit chilly around late morning / lunchtime so the extra layer was appreciated!

The only noteworthy events of the day were having to nurse the missus down The last bit of Verte (which was quite icy in some places) and then a bit later when I was got the entirety of Henri to myself - safe to say I opened up the taps a bit and earned a few air miles along the way wink

Judging by the plan of action, we’re having a lazyish day tomorrow - going to get to Le Lac in the morning and then spend lunchtime / early afternoon getting back. Hopefully I can persuade the missus to stay in the apartment and relax in the afternoon so I can get a few more cruising runs done on quiet pistes before all the ski schools start next week.

Does anyone know what the situation was at the top of the slalom course (underneath Tichot) around 1300? It looked like a fairly big accident involving more than one person
snow report
Fionelo wrote:
@chocksaway, where was that photo taken if you don’t mind me asking?

I think he was at the bottom of the Combe Folle lift. There's a gondola on the right of the picture (Toviere) and you can see it shares a summit with a chair coming from the left (Tommeusses). It's a red piste (see the poles) and just below two pistes merging, which would be Crocus and Combe Folle.

I imagine he's going to come along now and tell me they replaced Merles with a gondola while I was I wasn't looking, and it was therefore taking on the other side of the valley Wink
snow conditions
Ah ok, I was mainly around that area this afternoon before the sun got too low - probably crossed paths at some point.

If anyone notices me over the next week (denim coloured Oakley pants and matching jacket with white arms and neon yellow poles) feel free to stop and accost me!
ski holidays
@thelem,

If you open up the photo it tells you where and when it was taken
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, so it does. I was pretty confident I was correct, but nice for the confirmation.

@Fionelo, we'll be in Tignes from tomorrow afternoon. Not particularly distinctive kit (black jacket, blue trousers for me), but keep an eye out for blue snowheads buffs from last year's PSB.
snow report
This morning was pretty good, another bluebird day. Got the first lift up Tichot and had a warm up run down Grattalu before heading over to Le Lac - absolute carnage is an understatement, however by the time I’d got over there and done a few runs of Petit Col, the melee had subsided somewhat. Finished the morning off by doing Sache / Acrosses / Chardons down to Brevieres and then a quick dash back to Val Claret (via a few runs of Henri) to meet the missus for lunch and a nap.

This afternoon is probably going to entail Bollin for an hour or two to get the missus back up to speed again before ski school starts tomorrow and then an early finish before dinner and a few beverages in Inside Bar to finish off the weekend!

I’m not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I may end up spending the morning getting over to Col de L’Iseran / Signal de L’Iseran to explore the conditions over that side
latest report
Update on boot fitter query
Jo jo at nevada sports is still the man to see!
Popped for some new socks, thankfully still the same sense of humour!
Tried to sell me a pair at 60 euros....we were both in hysterical laughter after that
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy