Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@FastCarver74, is that an effect of the Fohn winds, less wind on top of the glacier?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FastCarver74, Quite a few folks have commented on the lack of wind at height, quite bizarre and I don't really have an explanation. The wind was south easterly and it comes over the tops of the hills so it is generally windier at height. Perhaps the top of Vanoise was in shelter. It was also very warm down the Valley yesterday (mate came through Grenoble yesterday afternoon and the car thermometer said 21 degs!) so there might have been some anabatic wind added lower down (basically hot air rises and is funnelled up the valleys giving strong winds at choke points). Just part of life's rich pattern in the mountains.

Today was a little better than I thought, it looked very bleak over Le Fornet and windy, in Tignes it was reasonably bright and you could see blue sky out to the west, so the weather system didn't make it as far as we thought from the east. Hardly saw anybody off piste but the pistes were in good condition, fast conditions. Lots of prep work on OK Orange for the Ladies WC so the open pistes on Bellvarde were busy. Also groups of students in blobs in awkward places barking into their phones were an added hazard! It was a tiny bit cooler than yesterday, but still lots of melting going on.

Tomorrows weather will be similar to today, the amount of light will be dependant how much cloud manages to get over the ridges from Italy, it will be a mixed bag and probably better in the afternoon, but there will be a sharp breeze at altitude, so a bit cooler on the skin, but it will still be dripping in the villages. For Thursday, I think the best summary is sunny periods, moving quite quickly across the sky. But enjoy t as it all goes downhill from Friday, the passage of a complex set of fronts makes it unpredictable at the moment, but snowy, windy and not much chance of seeing the sun. The snow level will be at or below the Dam on Friday and half way to Bourg on Saturday - could be an interesting first big transfer day. As for the amount of snow - still very much up for debate depending on where those fronts go - expect the Apps to fluctuate wildly....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
I won a 3 day Huski prize (can't say where wink ) which I will collect in Dec, I'll let you know.

Tignes Cuisine is great for takeaways, relatively limited menu though.

Congratulations!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After a great deal of frustration yesterday (all to do with avaricious property developers in Harrogate - I'm helping a 99 year old relative who had to move into care sell her flat) life did improve after I got to the Box. @TimLongs, the Snowhead Brewer, had taken over to promote 3 of their beers at the Sapaudia Tap Attack, including a new Pilsner with a very local name, 73! So the day ended well, if a little hazily.

However, the thaw continues, so much so that a piste basher broke the ice on a lake up in Arc 2000 and the driver had to be rescued by helo. I don't know the are but believe a piste goes across it.

And finally, my parcel arrived, I was getting loads of odd messages from Colissimo (basically part of La poste) so I called in yesterday at the Post Office (chosen delivery point) where they admitted the van was not big enough. Anyway, after a spot of hide and seek this afternoon it was located, so got a nice new 3 antenna transceiver which I know have to work out how to use. That will have to wait as tonight is the 'initation' of a new Steak House at the top of Rue de La Poste - its called Niurou - Chinese for beef evidently. Its being run by Debbie and Dan, Debbie has worked in L'Embu for many years and Dan has perfected his trade in a number of places in Tignes over the years.

The cloud was a bit grim over breakfast with the odd flocon and so the team was a quivering mass of indecision. But it started to clear and so the RV was set and off we went. Again, blue to the west, grey to the east but it was soon more than adequate for piste skiing. Some of the best snow was around Vanoise, despite a brisk breeze and Genepy was deserted, so we did it twice. Lower down it is starting to chop up and become a bit gluey (is that a word?) - my schuss down Trolles (or J-C) was not nearly as successful as yesterday in terms of avoiding a walk!

I've just seen a weather stat on the TV - Albertville broke the temperature record for December yesterday - 20.5 Degs C Shocked

And the forecast, tomorrow looks like being more cloudy and it will be windy even in the villages, its still from the south-east so I am hoping for the odd bit of sun, especially in Tignes, we shall see, the air will be a bit cooler and with the wind it will feel like ate autumn has come back. Friday will see early winter return, cloudy, windy and snowy, the snowline will be around the Dam dropping slowly through the day. So pretty much a whiteout and damp below the treeline, might be a day for a book as about 15cm will fall. The intense part of the storm will be to the south of us, this of course could change bringing more snow. Saturday will be a mixed bag of showers, cloud and fog, there will be a bit less wind and maybe a bit of snow. The snow will return after dark and intensify through the night into Sunday which will be very snowy and very windy, what a great day for me travelling home for Christmas (cue for a song!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, It's all going on tonight in Le Lac isn't it?

Quiz night at the "Cave"

10 year anniversary party at the Jam Bar

New dining option up the Rue de la Poste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, Jam bar and Quiz are tomorrow - preceded by Mr P's Christmas Soiree which may be preceded with an apres with @thecramps!

So I am just back from the opening soiree at Niurou, the accepted pronunciation is New-Roo (I think), Looks like it is going to be popular as the Party expanded onto the Galerie du Palafour (you can also enter from Rue de La Poste, not quite last on the left):

And here's Debbie behind the bar, glad its all open and Dan is hiding in the fridge!

We were treated to a drink and a selection of nibbles based on the starters were very yummy, as you would expect in a Steakhouse there are 5 different steak mains from hangar to fillet with a variety of sides, but there is also duck, chicken and vegan options. Its very cosy with lots of wood and booths and a splendid wine list. All bodes well for New Year's Eve!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, Doh! Getting my dates mixed up. I must need a holiday wink .

New place sounds good. May have to give it a try in January.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, looks good. If only they could've launched it a week earlier. They'd have had a good week with SnowHeads' Bash I think. Hope business goes well. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, They would have loved to, but a discarded cigarette but on the windowsill in the summer meant there was quite a bit more work to do!

So another day of mixed weather, worse to the east but I think everybody had a share of the bad vis at one stage, but the afternoon was much improve, a cheeky wind added to the chill a bit. So we had a snowheads mini gang today with Mr and Mrs @thecramps and pretty much covered the resort right over to Le Fornet, where it was a bit grim but a well timed lunch break fixed that. The snow below 2300m is now getting pretty mushy by the afternoon, even Face was skiable by mere mortals this morning! The odd bare patch is appearing, there were even bits of the road appearing on Mangard but that's going to be fixed over the next couple of days as winter returns!

The cloud will thicken tonight and the wind will begin to howl, tomorrow will be windy and snowy, most of the top lifts will be shut and with a snowline around 1800m it will be miserable amongst the trees with damp snow (also most ofLa Daille is shut for the racing), Saturday should be a day of fast moving sunny spells with snow holding off till after dark, the winds wont be too bad so a few more lifts will be open. Sunday looks like a shocker, screaming winds and lots of snow down to 1300m, quite an accumulation to come. The jury is still out on Monday but probably snowy and windy and a lot of work for the pisteurs!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was a good day, but the absolute highlight has to be @chocksaway, showing us his new trick, a forwardarseoverbutterwipe 360°. It's really neat. He followed that up with a demo of his winning shape from last years all Yorkshire Rubber man competition. Epic. snowHead snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, raye is still open I presume?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raye is open but it is challenging! Mounds of artificial snow and bodies! Signed ‘difficult slope’ at Folie.
(Face /Joseray easier option! )
Even better option bus back from val/ fornet if staying in la daille.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On really busy transfer Saturdays, what time do the incoming roads start to get clogged up?

I guess what I am asking is, how early to arrive to beat the queues?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@retsil, all roads lead to Roses at the close of day
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dr John, haha true dat
snow conditions
Out in La Daille this week. Real nuisance about closing off the runs down as they would have been very useful today and Raye has been carnage most afternoons. Not exactly putting paying customers first....
snow report
@thecramps, Can you get that one in the Olympics for me!

@Dr John, Yes but it has been carnage for days, as Santons is shut its the only option if you can't do Face.

@Philip1972, If you follow this link: http://www.savoie-route.fr/ then click on the banner at the top 'retrouvez les previsions' (it normally appears from Thursday) you can see the forecast by the hour.

Snowing and windy today, time to get the hoover out
ski holidays
Perfect, thanks Chocks.

I always avoid Saturday arrivals but have no choice this time.

I will be driving through the night and expect to arrive by 9 am in Brev, so fingers crossed it wont be too bad.
ski holidays
Out in La Daille this week. Real nuisance about closing off the runs down as they would have been very useful today and Raye has been carnage most afternoons. Not exactly putting paying customers first....
latest report
@chocks do you think allowing 3:45 with a mid day departure tomorrow to Lyon Airport is sufficiently prudent?

Kindest Regards,
latest report
snowhound wrote:

Same every season in Val D'Isere over the two race weekends. You should have been there when they had the 2009 World Championships, using both Face de Bellevarde & Rhone-Alpes.
snow report
@brovert, I would say so, as long as that 3.45 gets you there with 2 hours to transit the airport faffing. There's not much traffic going down tomorrow and the snow (which has only just started settling at 5pm) will be cleared by then.

It was snowing gently when I woke up and it is now moderate to heavy, its been warm so yes it will have settled on the slopes but a heavy quick setting concrete kind of snow around the villages. So, I have just about ticked off my list of jobs but as we are approaching the big week of festivities here's a picture taken yesterday - those pisteurs on the GM are quite artistic:

Its going to snow all night and a gusty wind will blow. So the pisteurs will be busy in the morning and some high lifts will be closed. So expect a progressive start. Sunny periods and light snow showers will continue in the morning, so snow chains may be required for the last few miles up the Valley, but as the snowline is about 1300m, hopefully the roads will be clear for the main arrivals. After dark it will start to snow again, the wind will blow and continue into Sunday, which looks like being a whiteout and more tricky for the travellers like me! Luckily the majority of the snow will be coming after mid morning, in total 30-50cm. Monday will be another windy and snowy one but the showers won't be too intense so not quite so much snow as Sundaay. But it will be a slow start as all that windblown snow has to be declared safe. Tuesday sees a bit of a warm up with showers and sunny periods, potentially a snow line around 1900m.

For the fliers, its going to be wet and showery all over the UK with some gusty winds, but no real snags. there's a slim chance of fog at Leeds, but as its not that busy there are don't forsee many problems. Over here should be OK.

On the roads there are 30000 cars coming up from Albertville so jams from lunchtime onwards from Aigueblanche and upwards, with the light snow in the resorts the last few miles might be slow. Good luck and remember the chains.
snow report
Thanks chocks. Been a good week despite unusually warm conditions. Had a good couple of days with some uni kids we met. Have fun next week all and will be back later on in the season.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Nowt to do with Tignes but we arrived in the Algarve at lunchtime. In the middle of a proper South Westerly storm. Hammering with rain and wind gusting up to 35 kts.
Looking out at the current squall it looks like it's about 5°c but it's actually 18°c. Clearing Sunday.

Safe travels at the weekend and we'll see you in a bright and frosty Tignes in January.
latest report
We were in Brev this afternoon having our traditional end of holiday Cote de Boeuf. The run into Brev was very slushy from the bottom of Silene. The last 500m (from where you join the bottom of Sache) has really suffered from the high temperatures and the rain. It's quite narrow with lots of muddy patches.

On leaving the resturaunt about 4pm it was raining moderately. The rain had turned to slushy snow by the time we changed platforms at Boisses, and was proper (though sticky) snow between the top of the gonny and the base of Aguille Rouge. Top of Aguille Rouge down to Lo Soli was actually very nice snow - perhaps a few inches deep and not much wind.

The run from Lo soli down to Le Lac (at about 16:45) was quite nice - We were a bit wary because it can be a bit of a mogul field which isn't much fun in zero viz. However, it was really enjoyable, shame the lifts were shut or we would have done it again.

We walked down the ski hire shop, and the roads are covered with about 1cm of packed snow, whith perhaps 5cm of fresh at the sides. We leave about 5am tomorrow, so it'll be "interesting" to find out where the snow line is. We've got snow tyres, but will make a decision on whether to fit chains in the morning.
ski holidays
Funny old morning, it kept threatening to clear up and then didn't. I skied to Val Claret on lumpy pistes in bad light and went for coffee with a mate in the vain hope that it might clear up. After an hour we decided it was a non starter so I came back, put lunch on, heard the Downhill was cancelled in Val, and put all the ski kit in the washer. 5 minutes later the sun came out! If only Val had waited....... They are going to try and run it in the morning but I have my doubts.

The sky has started to cloud over and I am expecting light snow in a couple of hours. The wind will also pick up and the snow will intensify, so the morning will be a whiteout and the snowline will be between Seez and Brev. So a lot of high lifts closed and some safety work will mean a gentle start. By the end of the day 20-30cm of snow will have fallen. Monday will also be windy and snowy, but it will be showery in nature so maybe the odd break, but another slow start. After that confidence in the forecasts drops right down as a ridge of high pressure tries to push up from the Med. So Tuesday looks snowy with a stiff breeze at the moment and for the big day, but it will get warmer again, so a snowline around 1900m will make it damp in the villages. The big day currently looks like being sunny windy and mild, but a heavy pinch of salt with this one!

For the travellers tomorrow, the weather in the UK starts dank and drizzly, south of Newcastle, but it is an improving picture. So any early fog at Luton or Leeds should clear and not cause too much hassle. Over here it will be bumpy and showery (of rain at the airports), no real snags unless they get an intense shower at Chambery where a combination of visibility and gusty winds may mean a couple of goes round the holding pattern. The roads will be quieter tomorrow, hopefully the weather will prevent any protests (and its Sunday) but snow tyres or chains will be necessary to get to resort.
snow report
@chocksaway, Left the Cotswolds at 6.30 pm last night, and opened the front door here in Brev at 8 am.

So all in all a good trip and very little traffic with the exception of around Lyon, but that was partly due to heavy rain and a bit of fog.

Even the tunnel at Folkestone was good with no snags.

This week I have driven almost 2000 miles, went back to the UK on Wednesday and back here yesterday/today Smile
ski holidays
@chocksaway, in contrast, we went up from Brev about 10am and skied deserted, light powder-filled pistes in between Les Boisses and Le Lac for a couple of hours. Fantastic conditions on piste. Boot deep at the sides. Vis was trickier over at Le Lac, so we opted for an indoor lunch stop. Sun came out post lunch (with an accompanying drop in temperature) and although some slopes were a little choppy in places - notably both sides of Aiguille Percee, it was a glorious afternoon. More snow due tonight/ tomorrow morning so suspect another slow-ish start.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rainman, Yeah bit odd, but I chatted with an off piste instructor who said he was amazed how light the snow was on Glattier - he had no explanation and he's been in Tignes for 25 years.

Currently sat at GVA after an interesting journey....... The bus was only 10 minutes late, but there was a lot of muppetry on the hill with chains etc. We were stopped above Boisses by the Police so they could rescue a stranded minibus on the steep bit. But clearly Monogasque Range Rovers can ignore blue lights as he overtook all of us, till the copper had a chat. Just through the Brev tunnel we came across a Ben's Bus who was at the wrong side of the road putting chains on. Our driver got off to help, but then our bus set off on its own. Luckily a hire car with a Brit inside acted as a useful chock. Cue half an hour of paperwork, we then had a really slow driver in front of us and we seemed to have to count everybody 3 times at each stop. Finally got to airport to find flight nearly 2 hours late!

However, security at GVA is much improved and very well organised. I was diverted into a new bit, no laptops out etc, just dump the bags and walk through! Could be a long night.

Tomorrow looks equally windy and snowy in Tignes and with avalanche risk 4 its going to be a slow and progressive start, Tuesday will be similar but the snowline will move up to 2000m at least during the day, not very pleasant. But Christmas day looks mostly sunny, mild with a stiff breeze at height. Thursday looks like being a mix of sunshine and cloud.
snow report
Yes, poor today. Only the bottom half of the Brev/ Boisses bubble was open due to the wind, and only two lifts (Alme and one more?) in Le Lac, so very limited skiing. But, still had fun in some VERY deep snow in the woods above Brev. Expecting more of the same tomorrow so hoping Tuesday is a bit better.
ski holidays
The flight was 2 hrs 30 late in the end, so I am now on the last cattle truck out of Manchester Picadilly for Yorkshire!
latest report
Loads of snow,
Loads of sun

'what more do you want'

Merry Christmas
snow conditions
Happy Chrimbo @chocksaway, hope you are having a good one.
snow report
A day of 2 half's.
This morning was clear, sunny and a little brezzy in places.
This afternoon the cloud came in, the wind increased and we gave had a few snow showers, a prelude to tomorrow's snow?

The pistes had firmed up a little overnight so we had nice firm grippy snow instead of yesterday's bump fest rolling eyes
snow report
Wall to wall sunshine Very Happy

A little busy but it is new year week Smile
snow report
@bar shaker, Grand Thanks

Now back at the airport for tomorrows flight. But as I parked the Delorean at Ringway it seems to have delivered me for my February flights looking at the weather for the next 4 days in Tignes! High pressure is set to dominate, with blue skies and sunshine and unseasonably warm temperatures, so pretty much like today. There might be a bit of bubbly cloud about on Thursday. The snowpack still looks complicated, more tricky in the afternoon as the snow becomes more moist, redolent of March really.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
But clearly Monogasque Range Rovers

monogasque? like a sole gasque?
ski holidays
@davidof, Very Happy I should have known, Monegasque is much closer to money than mono! Next time I will refer to him as a resident of Benidorm for tax dodgers, although I think that is being unkind to Benidorm, in general it is much prettier than the concrete blocks of Monte Carlo.

Another sunny day for the last day of the year. There was a little bit of very high cloud and the contrails remained for a long time after the aircraft had departed the Savoie. The pistes are still in very good condition, but they are mobbed, a little bit of local knowledge of the 'flow' of the resort helped us get around. But mostly we went off piste, which is at best varied, at worst blinkin hard work. We found everything from the odd light and fluffy bits, to chalky tracked out with sastrugi, crust and a whole host of other pleasant surprises. It was also warm for the time of year, which hasn't helped the snow one bit. Overall, it does seem busier than last year. I'm sure the Bec Rouge will be visible to the International Space Station!

Meteo France seem to have gone on holiday as all pages revert to a default France forecast so no avalanche forecast tonight. But tomorrows weather will be similar to today, maybe a bit less cloud. Thursday will be a very similar, maybe a degree or two cooler. There is a very weak weather system floating around on Friday, no weather to speak of but there will be a bit more cloud and the temperature will come back up. After that confidence is not high in the forecast, but from Sunday it will be much cooler, so for Saturday the best guess is sunny periods by day and maybe a few flocons after dark

Happy New Year to one and all!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, ah yes. Do you get a lot in vdi? I can imagine they are pretty arrogant. Should be good for a spot fine.
snow report
@chocksaway, Happy New Year to you. We are driving back to Tignes Saturday/Sunday. Hope to catch up soon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy