Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously a huge depth of local knowledge on this thread so was just wondering what are the chances of the mountain being stormbound on Monday given the forecast or will some lower lifts be open Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That depends on how much you want to ski!!

I will be curled up on the sofa, but no doubt some lower lifts will be openfor the brave.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slightly daft question having not taken kids to France before. What are the rules about kids in bars - early evening? Any suggestions for apres ski for parent who want a beer and a 9yr old? Somewhere with a bit of atmosphere where we can chill at the end of the day. Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a beer and a 9yr old

Is that a 9 year old glenfiddich or an Islay whisky Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TommyJ, it's France, so no problem with kids as long as they're behaving
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Judwin,
They have started preparing Face. It was partially closed yesterday as they have started the injection process.
The part that was open was very solid and think I’ll give it a miss for a few weeks now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

they have started the injection process.

Just out of interest as I have no knowledge of this, what does the injection process involve?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They literally inject water into the snow with through hollow spikes. That freezes and produces the most bullet proof piste you've ever seen. That way the slope doesn't deteriorate as much between first racer down and last.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowheid, injecting water into the slope to make it rock solid. Photo in the link below:

http://welove2ski.com/kitzbuhel-downhill
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HoneyBunny, @adithorp, Thanks for that - I have never had much interest in racing so this has largely passed me by but that is a really good article. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowheid, unless the storm is extreme, there will at least be button and chairlifts open low down.

For example the beginners button that starts near the Paquis/Chaudannes chairlift base. It takes you up not far from top of Rosset chairlift, which is usually kept running.

Also the Palafour chairlift is usually kept running.

Very infrequently, during or after extreme snow storms, the village is put in lockdown for a while until made safe. Happened a couple of seasons ago and back in 1999 to my knowledge.
snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowheid, Village drags, then Tichot, then Almes chair, then Palafour is the normal pattern. In 7 seasons there has only been 2 or 3 days when nothing has happened. For lockdown 2 years ago we had well over a metre of snow.

@TommyJ, Doesn't seem to be a problem - its more the vibe you want the 9 year old to experience. Queue de Cochon in Lavachet often has kids, but limited numer of chairs. L'Embuscade at the top of Rue de la Poste is a good one too with a mix f French and Brits. - Good wifi in the last one if you use the digital cosh!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
muppet wrote:
@Judwin,
They have started preparing Face. It was partially closed yesterday as they have started the injection process.
The part that was open was very solid and think I’ll give it a miss for a few weeks now.

Thanks. Something to not look forwards too then rolling eyes

Is the Peau de Vache open yet? Will probably need a stiff drink before (abandoning any thoughts of) tackling it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TommyJ, Where in Tignes are you staying? Are you looking for somewhere to go for an apres beer or two straight from skiing? Schlepping around with a tired kid in ski boots may not be ideal.

What I'm about to suggest may give anybody watching the pennies mild palpitations. If you're in Le Lac and you want to chill with a cold beer, a fantastic view and comfy seating without too much loud music in the background then give the KAYA bar a go. (almost facing the Loop Bar) It does look like a rather expensive restaurant only place, but you can go in and just have drinks. A pint is more likely to cost you 8 euros as opposed to 5 across the road but a waiter will serve your table if you wish and you may get some nibbles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More blue skies, sunshine and deserted slopes! But it was a little cooler on the face this morning, especially with some high speed hooning around the pistes. We popped round the Palet and up to the top:

Although there are a few chicanes through the T bars you can ski all the way to the bottom which we did in a one all the way to Coco Rico that's a drop of 1351 metres, or 6 metres more than the height of Ben Nevis! Hot chocolate was taken to salve aching muscles. We then moved round to Grand Pre, the snow is now consolidating so a little hard on the legs. Likewise we took the off piste route down Spatule to The Rosee Blanche for lunch, soft snow, crust and chalky bits made for interesting route finding. Still the quiche was worth working for! A gentle cruise around the Palet Bowl deposited me back home.

And now for the difficult bit, the weather. Change is due but the forecasts are disagreeing on timing, amount of snow etc. That's because the isobars are flexing around on the charts like a drunken accordion player in Paris - difficult to play with tear gas in your eyes I guess! So don't hang your hat on the following words. But tomorrow should be OK. There will be breaks in the cloud over breakfast, but then it may well fill in as hill fog for the morning (not guaranteed) before burning off and leaving a sunny afternoon. The Swiss are suggesting the odd flocon or two in the morning as well. It will be a couple of degrees colder than today. Sunday, timings are a real conundrum, but top tip, get up early. There will be a rise in temperature and sunny periods in the morning, at some stage between early afternoon and end of Happy Hour the cloud will have filled in, and light precipitation will start. The snowline will initially be 2000m but it will drop sharply after dark and the wind will begin to howl. The wind and the showery snow will continue through Monday, initially the amounts won't be large so not too much for the pisteurs to deal with, the winds will preclude most lifts above 2600m or so I think. Through into Tuesday morning the snow will decrease in intensity, the winds will still blow, so more explosions on Tuesday morning than Monday. But the sun may come out in the afternoon, it will still be windy - beware the powder fever. After that its going to be a mixed bag of fast moving snow showers and sunny spells (probably).

As its the 1st big transfer day of the season, the travel office reports no weather issues regarding flying, might be a bit damp from the M62 north. Over here, a similar lack of problems. As for the strike who knows, but today seemed to go OK with nor many delays. Eurotunnel seemed fine, a few delays at the ports. Local roads don't seem to have been affected. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Well Chapeau doffed to the Swiss, there was a cm of snow in the village overnight! There was some cloud about early but it soon cleared off to leave a sunny day, with just the odd fluffy cloud spoiling the azure. It was colder on the face and there was also a cheeky wind at altitude, which did close a couple of the glacier lifts (also some snags with frost on the wires), last day of autumn levels of clothing. As the off piste is now past perfection we had a cruisey day. First off down to Brev as they had opened the bubble. Its OK down to the bottom of Aiguille Rouge beyond dthat there is a lot of artificial and only Melezes is open and it was quite bumpy, so if you're not living down there I wouldn't bother. After that we covered Palet and Bellvarde sectors, the pistes are in fab conditions but quite a few weekenders who seemed to endlessly faff in the lift queues beyond the barriers. Must recharge my Taser equipped poles wink . As we skied passed the Taos we did notice a lot of meccano steps on the slopeside from Balconies - they must have had their initial fire inspection - better late than never!

The weather picture has changed again, it will start sunny, with a breeze so like today, Clouds will bubble up and then fill in in the afternoon, but the snow (no rain!) won't start (probably) until you are tucked up in bed, unless you are on a Barry White. The wind will pick up and the shutters will be rattling. It will be windy and snowy all Monday, a day for the hardy and the slopes below 2500m (at best). If you can get to La Daille and back it would be a good bet. The wind will die off on Tuesday morning and by lift opening sunny periods, best day of the week once the pisteurs have made it safe, also a day to be careful in the 30-35cm of fresh. The wind will be back for Wednesday morning, sunny periods which will develop into snow showers in the afternoon, so the best half day of the week. The snowy showers will then continue for some time.

For the travellers tomorrow, it will be showery and bumpy in the morning as there will be a strong gusty wind. Fasten your belts tight and you'll be OK. There may be an odd crosswind problem at Leeds, if you arrive back in a big shower. Over here Geneva will be fine and any early patchy fog should have cleared at Lyon before first landing. You will need snow chains or snow tyres though to guarantee travel later in the week.
ski holidays
Another grand day! Blue skies and mostly sunshine until mid afternoon when a bit of high cloud appeared. The pistes are still in fabulous condition as the Grand Huit of us had a sally round and a morning coffee, not much else to say - except its still quite mild - the icicles were melting this afternoon.

Now winter returns (but not that cold) so its time to get your avalanche heads on!

The sky will cloud over in the next hour or so and light snow will start just before midnight when the wind will pick up and heavier snow will start and continue until Tuesday early morning. So tomorrow will be a fast moving whiteout, there wont have been that much snow by the morning, but the avalanche risk will increase through the day as more falls and the wind swings round. I think we can expect most of the high lifts to be closed and somewhere between 25 and 30cm of snow by Tuesday morning. The skies will clear through the early hours of Tuesday and then the sun will come out. The wind will remain for the morning. With the amount of snow and the changes in wind direction the pisteurs will have lots to do, so expect a progressive start, powder fever will be alive and well..... Wednesday will start with sunny periods, but then it will cloud over and there will be snow showers and a stiff breeze. Thursday looks like a day of gusty showers with moderate snow. And then we are in for a stormy couple of days with lots more snow at height, but it will be quite mild, so the snowline may be as high as 1900m which wont do a lot for the lower slopes but it will avoid a snowmageddon - maybe!
ski holidays
Fantastic day. Thanks to all the PSBerd I've skied with today and to Flocon for a great lesson. A really great day on the mountains for so early in the season some real hero snow on piste in places
snow report
Great day. Everyone be safe tomorrow. Don’t get too carried away.
snow report
Duvet and Admin day!

Having skied for 9 days on the trot, I didn't really feel like going out today so the Admin pile is now much shorter. It was snowing from the early hours and has continued all day - between moderate and heavy in intensity. the wind precluded the glacier lifts this morning and it has increased closing more this afternoon. So if you could see enough I am sure there were some great turns out there!

The wind will continue to blow hard tonight, and the snow will continue until midnight or so. The cloud will progressively break up and should mostly be gone by lift opening. But, it will be a slow start - the pisteurs will be busy from early doors, you won't need an alarm call in the morning. There is no formal avalanche risk forecast yet, but it will be high, so be very, very careful. There will still be a strong wind at height in the morning moving more snow around.... There may be a hint of sun on Wednesday morning but it will be predominantly cloudy and light snow will start around lunchtime, it will also be windy at altitude. Thursday will start with sunny periods and then cloud over, with a breeze. The onset of snow will be sometime after dark! And then it starts, for Friday and Saturday the wind is going to scream and heavy snow showers will continue for 48 hours. Potentially, there will be 60-100cm over the two days with gusts of wind up to 100kph in the villages. The snowline will be about 1100m A prudent snowhead with an early flight on Saturday might start making plans to leave on Friday afternoon....
snow report
I'm arriving Saturday but don't have any time off work to make it Friday Sad hope I make it! Been watching webcams and forecast for weeks already!
latest report
We're driving down on Saturday too; unable to leave any earlier due to work commitments! Have also been watching the webcams for weeks in excited anticipation!
ski holidays
Another day breaks in paradise snowHead

ski holidays
Thank you, PeakyB, lovely picture.
And fun working out the view and where you were snowHead
snow conditions
We headed off to GVA early, yesterday. The roads were remarkably good (apart from the odd French driver on summer tyres) but the snow around our apartment in La Daille was 15cm - 25cm deep when we left.

The rain after Albertville was tropical and relentless. If that fell as snow in Tignes and Val, you must be up for an epic day!!
ski holidays
@bar shaker, Pretty much!

There was some light cloud dancing around the mountains this morning, a little more in Val perhaps so there were a few frosted views:

The pisteurs were busy triggering avalanches from first light, giving the first visual indication of the potential problems. Today I was out with Team Ultimate as they work up for the season. So it was a heady mix of between the piste and on piste (with me at the back). The pistes were extraordinary, the off piste was a strange mix of wind blown snow with a 5-10cm covering of soft on top, probably as a result of the wind dying off before it stopped snowing. But for this time of year just fabulous. The air was cold on the face for the first time since I got here and there was some pleasantly squeaky snow, you would almost think it is winter......

Okey dokey, this forecast is going to change, the pressure charts are chaotic, so timings, wind speeds and snow amounts will change - but here goes:

Tomorrow will be mostly cloudy, although there may be the odd glimpse of the sun over the cornflakes. The sky will then be obscured and by mid morning light showers may or may not start, they could even be drizzle up to 2000m. The intensity of the snow looks like it will pick up in the afternoon, along with the wind, so a dark whiteout to finish. which should give us another 5cm of so of snow. Thursday is a tricky one, in the first few hours after midnight there will be a bit of snow, then it might be a bit sunny with varying amounts of cloud (and the odd shower?) and then snow and wind after dark. Sort of a coalition of weather wink . It will be a case of playing it by ear. Friday is more certain windy and snowy, maybe not as bad as we thought yesterday, but certainly the top lifts will be shut and in the 24 hours of Friday 25-35cm of snow (although the various models vary). Saturday will see more gust winds and lighter snow, but it will warm up dramatically and so the snowline may rise to 1900-2000m in the morning and early afternoon. One things for sure, those preparing the course for the World Cup on Saturday will have their work cut out.
latest report
Well you didn't need a colour TV licence in Tignes this morning, this was the view from the top of Chaudannes:

I decided to skin up there to get a bit more match fit, the light really was not good. But I did meet a couple of mates who had found some nice snow on epilobe - even if they couldn't see it. I also saw that some of the little streams have started reappearing, it was warm this morning and they were running quite fast. So skiing off piste below Petit Col, you could get a nasty shock if you break through. I'm told this happened yesterday just below the skidoo lounge at the bottom of Tommeuses, and a ski carried on down stream! Petit Col has also been remodelled over the summer, it is less steep about 200m after the junction with Rhododendron, should make it easier for the early inters to get home.

I am expecting it to snow lightly very soon and this will continue until breakfast time when the skies should clear quite quickly and the sun will make its last appearance this week. But note the mercury is going to plunge for a day or two, it could be a good 8-10 degrees colder than today and with a gentle breeze - there is going to be a nip in the air; its the first time Meteo France have shown negative double figures foor the afternoon since I got here. It will start snowing heavily again around midnight and this will continue all day through Friday, it will be blowing hard, so no high lifts and maybe not many low ones. It will be a whiteout. For the 24 hours of Friday, the snow forecasts are varying - 30-35 would be my guess. Saturday will also be snowy and windy, but nothing like what was forecast a couple of days ago (which will please one snowHead I know - Mums the word on that one wink ) as to the snowline on Saturday, each time the model is run it moves - it has been as high as 2200m but more like 1800 as a maximum in the daytime. Tentatively we could be looking at another 25cm, the warmer it is the less there will be depth wise as it lands as soggy snow lower down. Radio Val are reporting 15000 visitors for the World Cup on Sat and 50 busloads of Brit tourists from 2 TOs (I suspect these are students - sorry Cramps) so it could be quite exciting on the roads or a good day for snow chain sales! Most of the forecasts are showing Sunday as a nice day with sunny periods and a return of unseasonably warm temps, book ended by gusty winds at the start and end of skiing. The Swiss, however, are suggesting snow showers!
ski holidays
And in breaking news, despite a massive hiatus at the fishmongers Friday Night Fish and Chips starts again this Friday at the Queue de Cochon!!!!

You can take the lad from Yorkshire......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway,
Quote:

You can take the lad from Yorkshire......

I look forward to joining you and others for a Friday "chippy tea" in January.

I hope that they get to complete their race schedule okay next door. Apparently they've switched the events around so the Red Rose Rocket (aka Dave Ryding) gets to ski on Saturday.
snow report
hi. I commented on last years thread for recommendations for lunch (2 adults, 1 child) on Christmas day 13:00 ish in Le Lac (not on the piste), The favourite was La Ferme but unfortunately it was booked. Does anyone have any recommendations of other places that might be worth a look? Thanks.
snow report
@Djgrahamd, A bit of a tricky one as a lot of the decent restos are evenings only (eg Queue de Cochon). But La Fermes spin off in Lavachet - Mendikoa is open most lunchtimes 0479042937, again it may be booked up. In Lac and if budget is no problem then Kaya is in an excellent location by the Rosset lift 0479554473 (I have not eaten there but have heard good things). I did eat in La Coeur de Neiges on the Rosset Promenade the other night, which is open lunchtimes and the food was good (the new staff were a bit rabbit in the headlights but that should be sorted by the big day) 0479063130.
snow report
And onto today. Well the weather nearly followed the forecast, after early cloud it cleared to leave a cold day, but the breeze was more of a wind above 2400m, so approaching Baltic. I did see a snowHeads re-clothing faff at Merles lift - clearly somebody didn't read the forecast! Didn't stop for a chat - no mates on powder days and all that. The off piste snow was excellent in places and windblown in others with last nights top up. We did a couple of runs round Lognan - great in the gullies and then down Familial - a mixed bag of light snow and wind scoured. As it was quite deep in places it was moderately hard work, a restorative chocolate in La Daille fixed that! We then had a wander round Borsat (before it broke down again!) and down towards Grand Pre - some nice tracks:

The front man (centre, slightly right) is stood at the top of this slope:

Hero turns. By then it was getting cold on the toes - so back for some warming pumpkin and chilli soup.

The calm before the storm. In the last hour or so the sky has started to cloud over from the west as a portent of doom. The snow will start just before midnight and the wind will pick up early morning as the intensity increases It will snow all day tomorrow and the wind will howl. The first official avalanche bulletin has come out from MF - Level 4 on all aspects - enough said. So early morning blasting and a restricted number of lifts for tomorrow. The snow level will start at 1400m dip down to Bourg and then come back to 1400m. It will also be very snowy and windy on Saturday, the wind will ease slightly in the afternoon, the snow level will be 1500m to 1800m, so hopefully the roads will stop open forall the WC traffic and everyone else. Over the next 48 hours - something like 50-80cm - but as the wind will rearrange it, its going to be a nightmare scenario avalanche wise off piste. The snow should stop by breakfast on Sunday, there will be moderate winds around, but a very progressive start as Pisteur Pete does his thing. Should be left with a relatively warm day out of the wind and sunny periods. Monday will also be a mix of sunshine and clouds and mild for mid December, the snow will rapidly settle off piste at lower altitudes.
latest report
@chocksaway, Always interested in new restos, La Coeur de Neiges sounds nice but couldnt find a website.

Is it part of the Kaya complex - kinda opposite Loop?

And, I guess a supplementary - whats your take on the Mendikoa? As good as Ferme, or different ambience?
ski holidays
@GreenDay, La Coeur de Neiges is 2 burps wink up the road from the Croq Burger, same side. Can't remember what it was called but it looked like the Savoyarde equivalent of your Grandma's front room. Can't miss it now for all the firepits at apres on the pavement.

Never been able to get a table at the Mendikoa yet! Its small (it was Le Swing and before that a Tabac) and is rammed full of locals who rave about it. They have come from the Ferme but its the young generation so a bit more contemporary but still a meat and cheese fest!

Also Arti is under new ownership, seemed like a nice bloke when I went in on behalf of another ski organisation, menu looked similar. Will have to wait and see if the Chef is as good.
snow report
Thanks for the recommendations!
latest report
@chocksaway, thanks for your weather and man on the spot updates during PSB2019.

Always very useful.
snowHead
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Thanks, shame about your last day.

Its blowing a gale and snowing hard meanwhile there is a major row going on in the street, the Aiguille Percee delivery truck is blocking the road - it was getting towards fisticuffs until the Parking Plods arrived!
ski holidays
Its getting worse, the gusts are horrendous - its just blown my thermometer off its screw on the back of the balcony, its been there for 3 years (since I belted the last one with the snow shovel).

Not a wheel is turning in either resort but on a more positive note, weather permitting, Aiguille Percee, Paquis and the Brev Gondola will open tomorrow, Sache beckons....
snow conditions
Radio Val d’Isère is reporting that the road to Bourg is blocked. No pedestrians are allowed in Fornet and the buses around town are running a restricted service.
snow report
Zut alors! Just found a thermometer blown onto our terrace (Plagne 1800). Anyone claiming? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy