Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@edwardsnoode, thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From another source The Boisses Bubble, Aiguille Rouge Chair and Chaudannes lift will open on Saturday. Taos officially ski in/out on Sunday.

Off for the first skin........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
It's next to the Rue d'Dany
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

From another source The Boisses Bubble, Aiguille Rouge Chair and Chaudannes lift will open on Saturday. Taos officially ski in/out on Sunday.

Off for the first skin........

Excellent news, and seems to have been confirmed on the website linked to on the last page.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
muppet wrote:
@chocksaway,
My husband and son had a “shocking” experience on both our trips up Double M and Vanoise, with terrible static shocks as they got off the chairlifts. After 4 shocks on the lifts an early lunch was needed and Tignes was abandoned. Has anyone else experienced this ?

We were on Vanoise many times on Monday and we didn't get any static/shocks.

I'm back on Friday night with a mate who doesn't venture off the pistes so the lack of snow this week isn't a concern. Just hope we get to see a bit of sun at the weekend.

Don't forget that the women's downhill takes place this weekend so runs into La Daille will be very disrupted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:
Don't forget that the women's downhill takes place this weekend so runs into La Daille will be very disrupted.

The Womens is the 13-15th, and the Mens the 20th-22nd isn't it?

https://www.valdisere.com/en/agenda/criterium-de-la-premiere-neige-2/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Judwin, other way around according to the link you posted.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FastCarver74 wrote:
@Judwin, other way around according to the link you posted.

Oops - yes. So the bottom half of Face will be a rock hard sheet of ice after this weekend, and OK/Orange similar a week later. Toofy Grin

Unless next weeks predicted weather comes up trumps and dumps a load of snow on top. Which is what happened a couple of years back causing the cancellation of the Womens downhill. A foot of soft powder on top of a hard ice base does wonder for the ego of us on-piste but off-piste heros Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Judwin, When do they start preparing the slopes?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
edwardsnoode wrote:
@Judwin, When do they start preparing the slopes?

Dunno for sure, but my impression in previous years they start the 'snow work' about a week before the event. Some of the crash nets are already up from photos posted in the ValDiz thread, but they don't really affect mere mortals - the runs are still open. They seem to close/fence off the runs about 3-4 days before the event to allow for training runs, and for some of the local ski-clubs to practice on a 'real' piste. The water injection/concreteifying of the pistes happens overnight.

The bigger problem for us has been that when there is practice on the Ok/Orange, they close the Marmottes lift for the whole morning which makes it trickey to get from Tignes over to ValDiz without a lengthy detour.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another blue sky morning, a bit chillier and certainly a cheeky breeze. At the top of the Col du Palet it nearly blew me over! So it was a quick skin to try out the legs to the aforesaid col from the bottom of the drag and then a ski down for lunch. A bit of high cloud appeared from the south mid afternoon and has now starting to recede. Snow off piste is now variable, some nice patches, some affected by the sun and some scoured by the wind. On piste is just fab.

Despite the 'winter of discontent' starting tomorrow with the General Strike in France we will be treated to another 2 or 3 days nice weather before all hell breaks loose from Sunday...... Tomorrow will be pretty much like today but without the wind, again there may be a bit of high cloud and Friday will be the same. The changes start on Saturday, the morning will start with sunny periods and then the cloud will thicken, exact timings are unclear at the moment. Sunday will start OK with sunny spells, but there will be a strong wind from early doors that will strengthen throughout the day and the cloud will build and the snow will start in the afternoon, light at first but getting harder. Monday will be snowy and very windy, more details tomorrow. the apps are forecasting widely different amounts (if you want to choose a snow god - go Norse this weekend - they are really going for it). A mid estimate for the total between Sun PM and Tue AM would be 40cm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, yikes, better pack for a duvet/pool/box sets/bar day on the PSB then... snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chardonet Bowl still in good order. Certainly worth the climb. Even with my dodgy hip.
Forecast snow will certainly freshen things up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
The bigger problem for us has been that when there is practice on the Ok/Orange, they close the Marmottes lift for the whole morning which makes it trickey to get from Tignes over to ValDiz without a lengthy detour
Still better than being at work and circumnavigating a motorway closure & diversion in traffic-choked Blighty eh?... wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, can anyone please recommend a slope side value restaurant around Val Claret/Le lac areas? Nothing fancy needed...self service pasta/pizzas/burgers etc. Like Marmottes on the Val side. Thanks!
ski holidays
@snowhound, For slices of pizza cooked to order you could do worse than CocoRico. Go inside. (not the snack booth outside). Just alongside the Lanches chair lift.

For a burger take a short walk along the road from the bus terminus In Val C to the Aspen Burger. A burger with sides and fries will normally feed two.

Not in Val Claret but just a short walk to skiiers right of the Palafour lift is the Jam Bar. Probably the best pasta in Tignes. (and certainly the best coffee wink )

Nothing comes to mind that's similar to Marmottes. Lo Soli at the top of Chaudannes does superb omelettes plus a pretty varied menu. It's not a bad place to thaw out if the weather's wild.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the place at the side of Gratalu (sp?). Food has always been so so and it's pricey.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-12-19 19:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Not self service and less cozy but a reasonable priced place with good food (soups, carbonara, burgers and plat du jour sometimes) and beers, La Taverne des Neiges.
IMO it's a perfect place to end a long day and then switch to the neighbour Cocorico for a loud apres or step outside and take the free bus back to Le Lac.
Ideal location.
latest report
@drporat, Had nice beer in Taverne des Neiges.
ski holidays
@edwardsnoode, me too.
But it came right after a hot vegetable creamy soup with bacon bits and crispy croutons. So it tasted way better NehNeh
We have the half board dinner at the bash, but later in the evening. So I reckon I will try the combination again
snow report
@drporat, You are probably not affected by the air traffic controll strikes in France but a lot of us are worrying whether we will be able to get to Tignes at all.
snow report
edwardsnoode wrote:
@mountainaddict, Its next to the Rue d'Dany.

Next up, Piste Fanny le Wonderchien!
snow report
edwardsnoode wrote:
@drporat, You are probably not affected by the air traffic controll strikes in France but a lot of us are worrying whether we will be able to get to Tignes at all.

I had a lovely drive over last night.

Left home at 10 pm and was here at 12 lunchtime

Just been in the Boot Room in Brev and was chatting to the owner of Chalet Chardons. All of this years staff should have arrived today, but not many did. Most are still in the UK!

Post edited to get the times right (fat fingers and tiredness to blame!)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 4-12-19 21:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowhound wrote:
Hi, can anyone please recommend a slope side value restaurant around Val Claret/Le lac areas? Nothing fancy needed...self service pasta/pizzas/burgers etc. Like Marmottes on the Val side. Thanks!

Gotta love The Corner at the base of Tufs chair: pies & sausage rolls, what’s not to like!
snow conditions
edwardsnoode wrote:

I've taught myself not to worry about things I can't change or influence. Just to pack more snacks for day 1 and load more Netflix on my mobile.
If the Easyjet plane due to arrive here Friday noon will be delayed in Europe/the flight will be cancelled due to Easyjet decisions, I'm gonna be sorry I didn't choose Swiss this year. And will miss the Alpybus at 18:00.
That's life. You make your plans, pay your bills and sort things out at the office, and then the French make their decisions and leave you with an outrageous Montreux Jazz Cafe bill in CHF Sad
ski holidays
@Philip1972, People have been asking around for lifts from various airports. Sounds like few trains running and replacement buses useless.
latest report
drporat wrote:
I've taught myself not to worry about things I can't change or influence.

Very wise!
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the place at the side of Gratalu (sp?). Food has always been so so and it's pricey.

And horrible toilets!

One of my fave places is Le Coffee in VC. Slopeside, nice food and comfy deck chairs on a sunny day.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g196714-d2614714-Reviews-Coffee-Tignes_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

La Pignatta is a standard lunch stop.

For a quick bite there's Le Kiosk in Val Claret. Nothing special but it's decent and cheap!!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g196714-d6958544-Reviews-Le_Kiosk-Tignes_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
ski holidays
On Friday December 6, I'll be driving from Geneva airport to Tignes after landing at 21:00 from Gatwick in case anyone is after a lift.........if the flight isn't cancelled Sad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 5-12-19 13:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grinning wrote:
snowhound wrote:

Gotta love The Corner at the base of Tufs chair: pies & sausage rolls, what’s not to like!

Aspen café, just along the main road near the Bollin/Fresse lift in VC. Huge portions, good value. (Keep an eye on your skis/boards)
ski holidays
Any Snowheads in Tignes on Monday December 9, there is a new off-piste public book launch with all sale proceeds going to the SOLEA cancer charity.
It's at the Terrachu bar 5 mins along the lake from the Lagon watersports complex, starting at 18:00-21:00.
The authors will be there and it should be a very good social occasion and a great Christmas purchase, so bring your wallet Wink
Please come along.
Search 'Association Solea Tignes' on Facebook.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 6-12-19 10:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowhound wrote:

The Sherpa supermarket in Le Lac does take away chicken and chips, panini etc. It's between Le Lagon and ESF.
snow report
@thelem, Used to be around 6 euros for chicken & chips. Probably the cheapest lunch in the EK. But best to time your visit before the rush as morning lessons end. ESF meeting point is almost on the doorstep.
latest report
@GeorgeVII, the chicken is rubbish though. The paninis are great value.
snow conditions
@Dr John,
Quote:

the chicken is rubbish though

Not surprising at that price wink . Probably died of old age. If the Spar is busy it's worth nipping into the bakery just inside the Gallery. They do a good selection of sandwiches and pastries/cakes. And proper coffee,hot chocolate etc.
latest report
There's another good bakery just near the Loop, with pastries and stuff
ski holidays
Well it wasn't quite as sunny as yesterday, there was a thin veil of cloud, but still lots of shadow so no snags really. Initially we had a charge round the pistes of Bellvarde down to La Daille, they were in excellent condition and we had the place to ourselves, so rude not too. We then explored the off piste around Grand Pre and Borsat, benign but still some soft patches to make us all look like heros. As we came home via the Palet sector in Tignes, they had just opened red piste Merles, always a good one to avoid the intermediate ski schools on Lac.

In news from next door, a reliable source tells me there could be big problems with the Funival. There was a lot of rain early November which was leaking into the tunnel, this then froze, and with the expansion of the ice it dislodged some rocks/concrete lining onto the tracks. The word on the street is that they still don't know how long it will be before it is repaired, good job they have a new bubble down there, but Mont Blanc is going to get busy.

And now for the weather, tomorrow should be sunny and similar to today temperature wise, but I wouldn't rule out a bit of high cloud especially in the afternoon. Saturday morning will be cloudy with a breeze, so it will feel cooler, can't rule out a bit of fog in the village bottoms. The sun may peek out in the afternoon. Sunday looks like starting with sunny periods. It will cloud over in the afternoon and the wind speeds will rise slowly. By the evening there will be light showers, initially, rain up to 1900m, but it will soon drop down the mountain as snow, so shouldn't damage the snowpack. Monday will be wild, the light snow will continue through the night and then there will be heavy showers of snow,, the sun may pop out between the showers but as the wind may well be gusting at 85kph in the villages then they won't last long. Expect no high lifts and a lot more avalanche risk. Tuesday looks better (ish),
latest report
slowboarder wrote:
Any Snowheads in Tignes on Monday December 9, there is a new off-piste public book launch with all sale proceeds going to the SOLEA cancer charity.
It's at the Terrachu bar 5 mins along the lake from the Lagon watersports complex, starting at 18:00-19:00.
The authors will be there and it should be a very good social occasion and a great Christmas purchase, so bring your wallet Wink
Please come along.
Search 'Association Solea Tignes' on Facebook.

Might be worth posting this on the PSB thread... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147995&start=1080
ski holidays
@snowhound, All the recommendations above are sensible.

Also, if you want a burger in Lac, then CroqBurger (along from Escale Blanche and L'Arbina) is cheap and cheerful.

Queue up, order a Menu Adult (about 12 Euros for a Burger, Fries and a can of Beer), grab a seat, wolf it down, massive burp and off you go.
latest report
Quote:

massive burp and off you go.

And there was me thinking that was the pisteurs bombing!
snow report
Very Happy A lot of people slag off Croq, I love it Laughing

I also love Aspen in VC, but.......I can barely move after one !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy