Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead

Don’t think I’ll be using the table anytime soon after yesterday’s snow.

A few more pistes will open than originally planned in Val d’Isere due to the extra snow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been checking all the webcams and the EK is looking stunning in the sunshine on opening day! Never seen it looking so good at the end of November, it honestly looks like a scene from mid-January. Surprisingly busy as well, loads of people on the Bellevarde camera.

Great to see the GM cable car running as well, it must have been beautiful up there. The Val glacier snow looked perfect! Hope all the regulars have had a fabulous time. Loads of off-piste tracks too, I wonder what conditions were like.

It's going to be a long wait until March *sigh*.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it wrong to check the cams and weather forecast every day even though I also don't go until March? I can claim I'm building an understanding of the snowpack wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
endoman wrote:
Is it wrong to check the cams and weather forecast every day even though I also don't go until March? I can claim I'm building an understanding of the snowpack wink

Normal behaviour imo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And here's some more pics for you to drool over..... Dawn broke to find blue skies and sunshine - oh what a perfect day as somebody once sang! However, I watched the pisteurs from the breakfast table and nearly every bomb triggered something on north easterly slopes. Later on whilst skiing I noticed them chuck one from the blue piste just after you have got off Grand Huit, it triggered the slope down to the red and then propagated onto the next 3 faces Shocked

So a day for the piste and perhaps the odd bit too the side, needless to say there was a lot of powder (well, fresh snow) fever and some folks taking risks with no kit. Tignes was very busy as lift passes were free for the morning, in Val there was a long queue at the office. Here's a couple of views from the 'Parade Ground':

No longer Trolles, Johan Clarey piste - its going to take a while.......

No introduction to that one needed

The snow was quite soft and chopped up on Palafour. Creux was much nicer and the snow just off to the left was a bit lighter than I though it might be but still relatively hard work for Day one. We were going to do it again, but Tommeusses decide to have a lie down for a bit. So down into La Daille, very good cover for this time of year. So into the RB for coffee:

Don't remember the last time I sat outside on the cusp of December.

We then popped up the glacier, great snow on piste, a bit wind packed off and then, after a couple of laps, it was time for a lie down!

The sky has now clouded over at altitude and will get thicker. The snow will start in the wee hours, but the snowline has dropped from yesterdays forecast, so good news all round. There will be a gusty wind, especially in the morning, so expect a slow start with new snow and lots of wind transport the pisteurs will be busy. I would expect the high lifts to be shut. The snow will have stopped before daylight on Monday (10-15 cm is still my guess) and Monday will see sunny spells and quite a bit of cloud, not too cold for early Dec and not much wind. There will be less cloud on Tuesday - a grand day, temperatures may even be positive in the villages for lunch. Tuesday and Wednesday will be sunny, it will feel cold in the mornings but it will feel much more benign by lunchtime.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For those of you already in Tignes, what's the rough price of a spirit and mixer in the resort? I'm trying to workout my euros budget for PSB but fear I may have to stick to happy hour as a non-beer/wine drinker Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, thanks for the first hand report. When I booked for the PSB I was quite nervous as to the conditions never having skied so early in the season before but it looks like it's a very good choice this year Very Happy

edited once for grammar

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 30-11-19 17:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ ditto (what stevew said) snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@simonsaysowot, you might already have way more info by now (if so do share) but took a drive over to Val today and stopped on the way to help a mate dig his car out of Boisses car park.

Still quite a few spaces left if anyone wants free parking and does not mind being reliant on two morning buses and two evening buses to get there or back.

Melezes had signs of life and a note saying open from 5pm. Bar inside looked cosy. No more info on whether they serve or if anyone can stop there for a drink. Rest of Boisses still looked mostly closed for the season still.

In 1800, Spar, contrary to expectations, is open and well stocked. 7am to 8pm non-stop. Sport 2000 on the main road is open. SkiSet still re-stocking. Only one cafe looked set up to take diners but definitely closed as at lunchtime.

New cash machine set up next to Kalinda reception entrance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As it has been a grotty day, I have been out and about so here's a few answers:

@GreenDay, I spoke to she who must be obeyed at the Queue de Cochon wink The Burns Night will be Sat 25 Jan.

@LDM91, A spirit and mixer in the bars is €5 - €6.50 depending on the quality of the booze. At hapy hours they tend to offer only one or two at reduced prices. For example a basic G&T at Happy Hour in the Queue de Cochon in Lavachet is €4 (as is a pint of peroni). In Lac at the Cave du Loop for €5 you could get a G&T or a Rum And Coke.

Can't remember who asked but Goats Milk is available at the Sherpa, Porridge Oats are available at Sherpa and Spar.
Carrefour had neither today (all in Lac).

The snow is now falling heavily on the Chocksaway Scale. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, many thanks, will let my pals know
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Webcams are looking very snowy!! Most definitely beer o'clock I would say.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, Thanks a lot, that's much better than I was anticipating! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LDM91 wrote:
@chocksaway, Thanks a lot, that's much better than I was anticipating! Very Happy

We have a gin drinker in our crowd and he reckons the G&Ts at QdC are brilliant value in happy hour
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, it was me asking about the goats milk and porridge oats. Thanks for looking. I'll hopefully get to put a face to the (snowhead user) name if you're around at the PSB.
latest report
@sugarmoma666, Ta, a tall dark handsome stranger may appear in the Taos Bar, that isn't me!

Well its been snowing all day, light this morning and still quite damp in the village. I had lunch in the Loop and there was a lot of wet people around! The snow intensity picked up mid afternoon, its eased off a bit now. Difficult to tell how much we have had as its melting on the balcony, but around 10-12cm I would think.

The snow should stop around midnight. There will be clouds around at breakfast time but most of these will clear progressively through the day to leave a sunny and chilly afternoon. I can't rule out a breeze at altitude. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday look like 3 peas in a pod - sunny, blue skies, chilly mornings but temperatures in the village around 0 at lunchtime, so benign for the time of year. Again, there may be a chill breeze at height occasionally. There may or may not be more cloud on Friday. Still no formal avalanche declaration but the generic is still talking about a lot of slabs - take care.
ski holidays
This thread is certainly whetting the appetite for the PSB!

I had a query I hoped someone with knowledge of Tignes may be able to help with.

I haven’t had a chance to have my skis serviced here in the UK - are there any recommendations a shop near Le Taos that will do a good and speedy service? Best to book one in now? Ideally would like to drop the skis off upon arrival in Tignes and then collect the next morning first thing - perhaps asking a lot I know!
snow report
davidmcclen wrote:
This thread is certainly whetting the appetite for the PSB!

I had a query I hoped someone with knowledge of Tignes may be able to help with.

I haven’t had a chance to have my skis serviced here in the UK - are there any recommendations a shop near Le Taos that will do a good and speedy service? Best to book one in now? Ideally would like to drop the skis off upon arrival in Tignes and then collect the next morning first thing - perhaps asking a lot I know!

I think someone asked this a couple of pages back . . . yep, have a look at NickH's post on Page 10 and reply below it.
latest report
Right: lets start with a picture - The Majesty of the High Mountains:

And the snow was, well, really very good:

The snow stopped in the early hours leaving us another 20cm around the resort. We woke to find ourselves sat in misty cloud but with the odd glimpse of the Chardonnet and a little help from the interweb and the webcams we set off high. The pisteurs were working from first light, rearranging the white stuff into an eye pleasing fashion. The pistes were just about deserted with the odd exception of ESF instructors being beasted by trainers and they were in fine condition. The snow off piste varied, there are still plenty of sharks, so a trip to see Monsieur Clarey is planned for 4 o'clock - its only a flesh wound!. The snow varied very much with height, there were freshtracks for all but above the village it was certainly not lightweight powder. But between the top and bottom of the Vanoise chair it was just abut perfect, above that it was a little windblown and therefore more compact. Unusually for this time of year it compacted through the morning as it is relatively warm (the bits and bats of ice on my balcony are melting). But still a fab day. As we came home we noticed a few natural point avalanches trigger around the Col de la Tourne (top of Grand Huit) as the rocks warmed - more reminiscent of March.

So without a doubt - the best day of the season (so far) snowHead snowHead snowHead

And to the forecast: tomorrow will be mostly sunny, maybe a few clouds around at height with temperatures the same as today. Wednesday will be the same and Thursday may see more high clouds as the very edges of a Mediterranean weather system encroach on our Alpine Paradise. Confidence reduces for Friday, but probably OK with high clouds. As for the longer term forecast (I know there is some interest on another thread for some reason....) it looks unsettled and showery and a little cooler. But there should be sunny breaks to enjoy the fresh stuff.
latest report
As @chocksaway, says very good. Best run for us was one I forget the name of. Toviere down to the junction, left Val, right Tignes. Wooden fencing. Go the end of it Val’s side and then enter and cut across. Really very good. Half a dozen pitches and only the odd nasty; Aim to get on to the piste coming down from then Col Fresse and Genepy.
latest report
One look at the Grand Motte webcam at 10.30 am French time and i wanted to climb through the computer! Let me on those slopes!
ski holidays
@Mark1863, Campanules? Super Campanules?
snow report
I was a bit surprised to see so many bikes on the webcam view of Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) this morning.

They were parked up in a crowd, near the magic carpet, in line with the road that leads up to Taos, past Aiguille Percee and Gentiana hotels.

Surprised, as there’s been so much snow Smile . Great for skiing but not ideal for biking I think.

What’s going on, anyone know?
snowHead
snow report
@PeakyB, Fat bikes. Seems to be all the rage. Big snow tyres etc. Did see one last year coming up the Tour de Cugnai!
latest report
Question for the locals, do you think any of the other Tignes lifts will open up for the PSB week?
latest report
Very helpful - thanks @sugarmomma666
snow conditions
Epic first weekend. I'm home now, battered and very achy from doing a bit too much of everything.

@chocksaway, It looks like we overlapped each other on Saturday and on Monday. I'm still grinning from it all.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Question for the locals, do you think any of the other Tignes lifts will open up for the PSB week?

From the last 2 PSB I'd say it's quite possible some more might open. There's more open already than we had last year. Chaudannes would be handy if it did (was running for PSB in '17).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, yep, same here on all points.
snow report
@bar shaker, Oh yes!

@stevew, Keep checking here: https://www.tignes.net/que-faire-a-tignes/skier/infos-cles
They normally publish next weekends openings on Wed and Thu. Purely by casting my eyes around, they were putting the final touches to Bluets today, so I am hoping for Chaudannes to open which makes the Taos properly ski out, it is already ski in. Borsat opened today so Fresse can't be far away. Don't think Boisses and Brev will be open to the following weekend, Brev needs some snowmaking for sure.

So today, another bluebird. Not a cloud to be seen anywhere. There had been a breeze overnight which had moved a bit of snow about, so there were some light fluffy patches. We skied down Familial, some good pitches, and came out at the little bridge (for those in the know), didn't fancy our chances with the stream in the bottom, there are some deep gullies in all the valley bottoms below 2000m. For instance the stream in the Manchet Valley has no cover at all and Santons is still very v shaped. We hopped on the bus to Solaise and then up and over to Le Fornet where the piste snow was fabulous. We then opted for Pays Desert which had a tricky crust at the top but was great on the lower pitches. Lunch was taken at the ever reliable Cascades, where the queuing system has been changed, much less of a bun fight now. Didn't notice any price changes. The coffee machines are still €2 for a grand crème! Our tracks are somewhere in here:

Another run around the pistes settled the lunch and then we wandered around the Borsat gardens before returning home via 'Johan Clarey' which is still as steep as it was as Trolles. Still his Dad did a good job of my skis last night, so can't begrudge the family the honour!

And the weather, much of the same really for tomorrow to Friday, blue skies, cool mornings and benign temps by lunchtime. Do watch out for a cheeky breeze tomorrow afternoon. There may be a bit of high cloud, the various models cant decide how far its going to come north, nothing to spoil the day though. Its all change on Saturday, the winds will be blowing from the north east bring great groundspeeds for snowHeads on a plane (now there's a film) and also lots of cloud, so it will be a grey day, the air will be a similar temperature but it will feel colder without the sun and with the breeze. But not expecting any travel dramas at the moment. Sunday and beyond looks unsettled, not much cooler but there will be gusty winds around the showers.
snow conditions
Best bit we did today was around Golf area. Bits leaning away from the sun particularly good. Not skied to death yet.
Pistes getting hard but very good
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@bar shaker, Oh yes!

@stevew, Keep checking here: https://www.tignes.net/que-faire-a-tignes/skier/infos-cles
They normally publish next weekends openings on Wed and Thu. Purely by casting my eyes around, they were putting the final touches to Bluets today, so I am hoping for Chaudannes to open which makes the Taos properly ski out, it is already ski in. Borsat opened today so Fresse can't be far away. Don't think Boisses and Brev will be open to the following weekend, Brev needs some snowmaking for sure.

The Bus timetable says the gondola from Brev to Boisses will be open from Dec 14th. I *think* the gondola cabins all get stored in the building in Brev? Therefore, my guess is the gondola from Boisses up can't be open before 14th Dec? And if you can't get back to Le Lac from Brev/Boisses till the 14th, then it's unlikely the pistes down there will be open before that.

On the other hand, I was looking at the webcams today and around 3pm CET I noticed on the Boisses camera that the bubbles were all on the cables all the way up the mountain, and the snow cannons were on in Boisses next to the two tunnel magic carpets. The bubbles are still on the cable as of the 17:00 CET image too (you can see them against the setting sun). So there is some hope that they'll pull their finger out and get it running for next week. Fingers crossed.
latest report
@chocksaway, thanks, that sounds good, must admit I still can't visualize where the piste access is for Taos, is it down the "ring road" that runs from Maison Tignes down to Lavachet?
ski holidays
@stevew, There's a bridge that goes over the road next to Maison du Tignes - ski over bridge and down path to Le Taos boot rooms - carry on down path takes you to drag lift and two chair lifts.
snow report
edwardsnoode wrote:
@stevew, There's a bridge that goes over the road next to Maison du Tignes - ski over bridge and down path to Le Taos boot rooms - carry on down path takes you to drag lift and two chair lifts.

Thanks, that's where I thought it was, so is there a bit of a climb / lift back to the main part of the hotel as the entrance on the road side to the hotel is way up the hill past where the Alpaka used to be?
snow report
@stevew, There's a little bit of poleing needed to get over the bridge but you can ski down to boot rooms. Lifts from boot rooms up to hotel. Main entrance to Le Taos is at the top of the hill but the rooms are on floors below. No uphill walking needed.
ski holidays
Sounds brilliant out there Very Happy - but still can't believe they've named a piste after Julian Clarey.... Shocked
snow conditions
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

but still can't believe they've named a piste after Julian Clarey....

I think they're trying to redeem themselves after turning their backs on "Alpine" somewhat and going all-in on the X-Games etc.
latest report
@mountainaddict, Its next to the Rue d'Dany.
snow report
@chocksaway, Looks like we swapped sides today.
We headed over to Tignes today and managed a few laps around.
My husband and son had a “shocking” experience on both our trips up Double M and Vanoise, with terrible static shocks as they got off the chairlifts. After 4 shocks on the lifts an early lunch was needed and Tignes was abandoned. Has anyone else experienced this ?

I know some people on the PSB were asking about Uni ski trips. My son has mentioned that some of his friends are descending on Tignes from Saturday. Details are vague on where they are staying, and he is miffed that the strikes at his Uni are finishing for now and he has to go back to Manchester tomorrow night.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy