Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Season pass questions (as we hope to get one at some point in the future...):

- Is there (still?) some kind of discount on season passes for apartment owners?
- Does a season pass include any benefits other than being able to ski? (Eg discounts on anything (half price beer Laughing )... skiing anywhere else etc...)

I'm struggling to find anything other than the price of a season pass on the Tignes website... rolling eyes

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some Espace Killy season pass questions, if I may (as we hope to get one at some point in the future...):

- Is there (still?) some kind of discount on season passes for apartment owners?
- Does a season pass include any benefits other than being able to ski? (Eg discounts on anything (half price beer Laughing )... skiing anywhere else etc...)

I'm struggling to find anything other than the price of a season pass on the Tignes website... rolling eyes

Cheers!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great, many thanks @chocksaway,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, No, and no. Hope that helps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve tried to join the group to ask the question but not been accepted yet. Just wondered if there was any decent bars in Les Boisses. I know there are at1500 and up in Le Lac and VC but don’t think we can get there in the evening. Doubt the buses will run in the evening next week..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@simonsaysowot,
Timetables for Navette here
https://en.tignes.net/holidays/getting-around/free-shuttles
Click on link for next few weeks timetable
You are right 2 buses start of ski day - 2 at end of ski day and that is it until 21/12/19
Spent money developing 1800 and then they do not give it a decent bus service. Logic?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your right Mark. I guess a taxi will cost a fortune. Maybe someone will recommend an option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Just wondered if there was any decent bars in Les Boisses

No, not really.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
does the bus from Val to Tignes run this early in the year? Could that be an option? Does seem a bit limiting if you are in 1800, I'd be practising my hitching skills.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobski62 wrote:
Quote:

No, not really.

Weird one that - back in the day (pre "big development") there were a couple of hotels down there, one with a half decent bar, on the "old" road.

Sometimes I wonder about developers, at least in Ste Foy when they did new development they included areas for shops, restaurant / bars. Not everyone wants to stay in just because they are on a family holiday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark1863 wrote:
Spent money developing 1800 and then they do not give it a decent bus service. Logic?

Or, don't go to a satellite village out of the main winter season. The higher villages won't be full.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Season pass questions (as we hope to get one at some point in the future...):

Cheers!

Yes there is a discount. You do have join the property owners scheme though (150 euros). When you read about that it looks like you HAVE to rent it out, but you do not.
I just bought my season pass for 828 euros, a significant reduction.

Question 2. No, I cant see any discounts on anything. However, I do get seasonaires discounts on drinks and food at local bars, because they know me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

Or, don't go to a satellite village out of the main winter season. The higher villages won't be full.

I’m staying there coz I got a cracking good deal on a chalet there
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I'm passing by in the next couple of days I'll take a look in the main buildings (Meleze, Marais) but yesterday around 5pm when mates were dropping off cars in the free parking there it was still pretty much a ghost town. 1800 was still in total shut down on Saturday.

Boisses, Brev and 1800 do not really open as resort villages until mid-December. Brev is a little livelier before that owing to Seasonnaires trickling in but they all rely on mates / cars to actually go skiing.

Simon, if your TO is providing minibus up and down, then great. Maybe you can ask if they can flex timings for some apres. Hitching is a perfectly realistic option but maybe best sans skis and from / to the junction with the main road.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobski62 wrote:
If I'm passing by in the next couple of days I'll take a look in the main buildings (Meleze, Marais) but yesterday around 5pm when mates were dropping off cars in the free parking there it was still pretty much a ghost town. 1800 was still in total shut down on Saturday.

Boisses, Brev and 1800 do not really open as resort villages until mid-December. Brev is a little livelier before that owing to Seasonnaires trickling in but they all rely on mates / cars to actually go skiing.

Simon, if your TO is providing minibus up and down, then great. Maybe you can ask if they can flex timings for some apres. Hitching is a perfectly realistic option but maybe best sans skis and from / to the junction with the main road.

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the Spar supermarket would be shut for this week coming?
ski holidays
Spar - unlikely to be open. Last Saturday it was proper closed (junk outside, unstocked). Doubt they'd manage to re-stock and open up in the week just ending. The ski rental shop was in the middle of re-stock however.

Might be heading over to Val d'Isere tomorrow evening in which case I'll take a peek at what's happening in 1800 too but hey, you'll be there the day after so you will know anyway!
snow report
@Philip1972, You can still get an owners discount of 30% on the lift pass without joining the props scheme, its difficult to find. Beyond that you have to join the scheme to get cheap parking and some discounts on activities. If you do rent out your apartment the ancillaries stack up (free lift passes etc) but you have to pay taxe de sejour and once you are paying that I am sure the tax authorities will soon be after you for income tax.

As you say, frequent certain bars and there will be a discount.......

Its been a busy day, shopping and paperwork. The roads were a nightmare this morning, a heady mix of slush, snow and ice from last night. One poor devil was properly in the ditch near the Glattier tunnel. In the village it has been snow all day, but only just. The pavements are a bit slick. But the bashers were out on Palafour converting it into something more than usable for Saturday. The snowpack off piste is going to be complicated.

Not had time to properly look at the conditions but as I was wandering round I did notice:

The Alpaka two is massive and till doesn't have a roof, a long way to go next summer.
JoJo was fitting boots in Nevada Sports (that covers that one!)
Mountain Attitude is open for the tourers, didn't have time to say Hi though.

Tomorrow looks snowy but Saturday looks OK for the opening snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@bobski62, @simonsaysowot,
Quote:

bobski62 wrote:

Quote:

No, not really.

The bar in the Melezes used to be OK. Is it not open to non-residents now?
latest report
@PeakyB, According to their bookings page they don't open until the 13th.(caveat emptor… it's late and I have had beers)
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:

It is open to non residents and it's been open since mid October.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@bobski62, @simonsaysowot,
Quote:

bobski62 wrote:

Quote:

No, not really.

Thats exactly the pub I was thinking of - there is no problem re pubs in Boisses then, its a nice spot.
snow conditions
Saturday is looking really good. Sunday looking like more snow, Monday could be as good as Saturday looks. Getting powder on the first day of the seaon is always good. It will be 3 years in a row now that the off piste has been available on the opening day.

I'm heading out tonight. Fingers crossed for another great season!!
snow report
Hi guys,

Both myself and the GF are planning another week in Val Claret mid January. Different apartment at the other end of town this year ("conveniently" closer to Inside bar meaning the stumble back is less likely to end up sliding through the tunnel on one's derriere... head first!)

Does anyone know of a ski shop / hire place which has a decent demo fleet as I'm thinking of applying the n+1 rule and need to justify to myself that my quiver requires something that can actually handle all mountain without putting undue pressure on my knees!

Any suggestions would be great Very Happy
latest report
I received decent kit from the Skiset "Deep Snow" shop beside The Diva Hotel.
snow report
Here is the list of tracks open this weekend on the three sectors of the resort. This is likely to change depending on the snowfall forecast for the next few days.

On Solaise:

Glacier
Millet map
Leissieres
St Jacques
Madeleine
Collar
Fork
Lake Ouillette
Lake sheep park
Mattis
Plan
M
Crossing the Laisinant

On Bellevarde:

okay
Diebold
green
3J
Borsat
Génépy
Collar
Cold Fountain
Large meadow
Face
Tines

Fornet - Pisaillas

Collar
Bridge Abatte
Needle Pers
Montets
Champions
Pisaillas
Moraine
Crossing of the back bottoms
Lake Cema

The Face of Bellevarde will be skiable from the opening, which is rather rare and we invite experienced skiers to enjoy this legendary track before its closing soon for the preparation of the Criterium of the First Snow.

The link with Tignes will be provided by the Tommeuse TS and the Tovière gondola. Access by Col de Fresse will remain closed.

The lifts linked to these tracks will open with the exception of the Funival which will remain closed due to an incident in the tunnel. Since the Daille, it will be necessary to take the gondola, the chairlift of Mont-Blanc and that of Marmotte to reach the top of Bellevarde. On the snow front, some snowmakers could not turn and the snow level is not enough to open the Village TS. We therefore advise novice skiers to go to Solaise via the TC 10 to take advantage of easy trails in the area.

Source radioval
Photo of isere tourism.
snow conditions
@kitenski,
Quote:

Crossing of the back bottoms

I'm told that you can get a cream for that!
ski holidays
ha!! that was google translate from the pisteurs French posting on Facebook
snow report
@kitenski, Yes, there are a few names "lost in translation" on that list Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jealous of anybody there tomorrow. Flying out Sunday, With snoworks Monday. Hoping for a little top up on Sunday. Hope it is as good as it looks. Looks like a fair amount has fallen today and all the way down to Brev! Surely Very Happy alround
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@kitenski, Yes, there are a few names "lost in translation" on that list Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK, I give up. What is 'Crossing of the back bottoms' in reverse translation? I have been racking my brain........Can't think which run it is.
ski holidays
Traversée des back bottoms. I can understand the translation! It looks like it's that annoying flat bit at the bottom of the runs on the glacier, as you make your way back to the lift.

The list full in French, from http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=infos&id=8196:

Sur Solaise :

Glacier
Plan Millet
Leissières
St Jacques
Madeleine
Col
Fourche
Lac de l'Ouillette
Lac parc à moutons
Mattis
Plan
M
Traversée du Laisinant

Sur Bellevarde :

OK
Diebold
Verte
3J
Borsat
Génépy
Collet
Fontaine Froide
Grand Pré
Face
Tines

Fornet – Pisaillas

Col
Pont Abatte
Aiguille Pers
Montets
Champions
Pisaillas
Moraine
Traversée des back bottoms
Lac Céma
latest report
@lynnecha, Its La traverse des back bottoms, the track at the of the runs down the Pissaillas Glacier, finishes at the Cascades Resto. Might have been easier to publish the list in French@kitenski, Laughing Laughing

Right then the first in resort report and forecast of the season, we had about 15cm to 8am this morning. Its basically snowed all day, mostly light with the odd five minutes of heavy. The morning was spent dealing with bits of French paper and bureaucracy, the puzzle being the Taxe de Sejour declaration. No longer is it one piece of paper if you don't rent, its now an online account. But the lady that does had moved from La Mairie to the Maison. But once located she was very helpful, so another password to forget!

The showery snow will continue until the small hours when the stars will start to appear. By lift opening (by the way, the list for Tignes is as mentioned earlier in the week) the sun will be shining. NB it will be 8 or so degs colder than this morning, so don't judge your clothing on this mornings experience. The winds will be light, so a good day to enjoy the fresh snow on piste. High cloud will drift in from the west in the afternoon and by dark it will start thickening quickly as the next weather system arrives with more snow. Sunday will be snowy all day and there will be a stiff breeze in the village, but it will warm up again. Expect the high lifts to be shut. Forecasting amounts will be tricky - at the moment the triple point (where the snow will be the most intense) will pass to the south, if it comes a bit north we could be in for more, current guess around 10cm. The snowline will fluctuate around 1700m or so. The snow will continue into Monday early morning and by the time the lifts open we will have sunny spells and clouds. It will get progressively colder as the day goes on. Tuesday will be another day of sunny periods, its all a bit changeable after that.

There is no formal avalanche risk published yet. But as it was very cold a few weeks ago, followed by fluctuating temperatures, with some rain to 2400m, and a lot of wind the snowpack is very complicated. The scuttle in the village is of many layers. The generic bulletin says a single skier could set off a small sluff which could trigger a much bigger slide with big slabs, bottom line take care until things stabilise. As its been warm you will have to go high to find any softer snow, it will be wind blown aloft though. Lower down it may well be like concrete - enjoy the quiet and perfect pistes - that's where I will be. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Might have been easier to publish the list in French@kitenski, Laughing Laughing

That would have been no fun!
snow conditions
Oh it would appear we can't say @r$e.....
ski holidays
@lynnecha, Traversée des A rses

If that works...with a space after the A
latest report
Any idea of the pistes and lifts open in Tignes yet? Good to see quite a bit in Val. Coming out tomorrow. Can’t wait..
snow report
simonsaysowot wrote:
Any idea of the pistes and lifts open in Tignes yet? Good to see quite a bit in Val. Coming out tomorrow. Can’t wait..

en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/winter-ski-area
ski holidays
Philip1972 wrote:

Yes there is a discount. You do have join the property owners scheme though (150 euros). When you read about that it looks like you HAVE to rent it out, but you do not.
I just bought my season pass for 828 euros, a significant reduction.

Yep - you don’t have to rent it out but you do still need to declare that you have not rented or else be plagued by them for taxe sejour.

Other major pain is having to present yourself at some point each week (weekday) when Prop office are open in Maison de Tignes.
I always ended up coming through at lunchtime or forgetting so despite being there all season I failed to log in enough times to benefit for the discount this season. Instead gone with the promo season pass which they’ve widely advertised.

Most important thing, of course is to ski everyday, come what may with a big smile on your face.
ski holidays
@Grinning, Thanks for reminding me about calling to "present" yourself!

In other news, I complete on the 10th December on the apartment next door to the one I already own. The second apt will be turned into 3 double bedrooms, 1 with en suite (once we have knocked through). That wont be until next summer of course after a concrete study etc.

But in the mean time, we will use it for friends to sleep in. Oh, and it has a bath, which the wife is very excited about!
ski holidays
simonsaysowot wrote:

Have a look in the posts towards the beginning of the thread where there's loads of useful info, like how to see what's planned to be open each day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy