Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Alpine sherpa
https://alpinesherpa.com/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit of lake level snow:-
https://www.facebook.com/TignesSpiritCommunity/photos/pb.323646766859.-2207520000.1570445709./10156409953686860/?type=3&theater
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gustavobs,
Snowdrone do shared transfers from Geneva
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gustavobs, Both the companies recommended above in post 1.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kenzie wrote:
Bit of lake level snow:-
https://www.facebook.com/TignesSpiritCommunity/photos/pb.323646766859.-2207520000.1570445709./10156409953686860/?type=3&theater

Looks like they have been doing a bit of "farming" on the glacier
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chanced upon this video clip this evening, posted last week. A study of the glacier commissioned; results to be published in the spring; just a few centimetres of snow cover atop the ice; resort awaits a decent snowfall to open Grande Motte for race training; 20-30 metres in depth lost in the last 20 years. Perhaps those with quicker reflexes to spoken French can add more.

http://youtube.com/v/vqQo8kFfnIk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This shows how it's going - would be interesting to see it updated for 2016-19.

http://youtube.com/v/XzUPbvoSC_8

Makes me wonder where they will find room for 26 race lanes. Shocked
https://public.tignes.net/PISTES/Octobre.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the excitement is rising, the credit card took a bashing this morning with a season skipass, a season car parking pass and a season insurance policy.

So now we just need some snow, talking of which the forecast is looking more favourable mid week. Confidence is not high, like the UK but it looks very unsettled and the freezing level is dropping, so here's hoping the glacier will look better next weekend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just seen that the Grande Motte will open next Saturday 19 Oct for skis of a good level.

Excitement building...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Just seen that the Grande Motte will open next Saturday 19 Oct
Is that official chocksaway? I was all set to look at flights for a trip to our apartment...but there's nothing to that effect on the Tignes website Confused - it's still saying "Postponed to another date"....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, See here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers chocksaway!! Much obliged - the English version of the website is still showing the old message wink

Will have a look at flights now Very Happy

UPDATE: Trip on hold - weather outlook is poor for the opening weekend... Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Grande Motte webcam is not saying much this morning, in fact it's saying nothing at all. But looking at the top of the Tov there has been some snow, but it has been windy as it's all trapped on the terrace of the restaurant and not on the ground. Hope they have been farming it on the glacier!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know I shouldn't be looking at the web cams this early, but I can't help myself. Why do I keep looking at the wig-wham cone thing outside LeLagon hoping for some sign of white?

Looks like the first few tyres out on the top of Tov/Tomm, so perhaps they think that some of the snow will stick around. Looks like pretty slushy stuff up there though.

Also looks fairly damp and boggy in Lac, with the tennis courts and kids playground still open?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The sign I always take that the locals think snow is going to stay is when they put the tyres on the tennis courts. Often they will also put some on Toviere. I think it is to protect the courts and is also an indication that the cover is too thin at the end of the season
snow report
And to stop the piste bashers taking lumps out of the roof of the gondola station!
snow conditions
@Mark1863,
The tyres are for protection of man made surfaces. The indication the snow cover is getting thin at the end of the season is when they bash a piste & the snow turns a mud colour - hopefully due to mud.
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
@Mark1863,
The tyres are for protection of man made surfaces. The indication the snow cover is getting thin at the end of the season is when they bash a piste & the snow turns a mud colour - hopefully due to mud.

Thanks. They have put tyres out on the corners of the tarmac at the top of Toviere
Clearly test running the GM cable car this morning. Lets hope we have more luck with it this season. Another dusting.
Feet very itchy this morning - it looks glorious
latest report
The job's off - due to the poor weather forecast, we have abandoned any prospect of a trip to Tignes at the weekend.... Sad

There is heavy snow forecast Smile - but only at altitude...
snow conditions
And the glacier is OPEN!

Let the good times roll.
snow report
Looks a bit of a trek from the Panoramique chair to the queue for the Champagny t-bar.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
And the glacier is OPEN!

Let the good times roll.

and it is closed again !
snow report
@davidof, Spoil-sport! But it's a bit more than breezy up there today.

Looks quite snowy above 2800 to 3000 tomorrow, a slight drop in the freezing level would help a lot.
ski holidays
Yes, just been out mtbing and it is very windy, a foehn!
ski holidays
So is it closed due to wind or as skiing is not practical?
snow conditions
@Mark1863, Follow the "Live Lift status" link on the first page.
ski holidays
Thanks. rjs. Wind then. Another 6 weeks before I arrive so plenty of time for things to improve. Bit of a hit for the Autumn ski schools unfortunately!
latest report
Hi. Thanks for your replies to me on last years thread re: vets and lunch spots. I’ve got another question I could do with your knowledge on please.

I’m looking for parking when I’m out there. Staying in le lac. The thing is I’m in my camper (not using it for camping in Tignes though). It’s got a height of somewhere between 2.1 and 2.2 meters. Could anyone recommend a place to park for two weeks with enough headroom for the vehicle? Max headroom doesn’t seem to be mentioned on the Tignes website. Thanks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Djgrahamd, it used to be on the website, but seems to have disappeared! But I am on my phone and it seems to present a simpler version. The Tignes App tells you to contact the parking office direct for advice on higher vehicles. Of course, if you are happy to park it outside, the Grande Motte car park will accommodate you!
snow report
Call me silly but just purchased my season pass. WD40 equivalent injected into left knee this morning(hip a month ago). Last thing required is a cold and snowy November.
Looks grim today and warm for a week or so.
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:
Call me silly but just purchased my season pass. WD40 equivalent injected into left knee this morning(hip a month ago). Last thing required is a cold and snowy November.
Looks grim today and warm for a week or so.

Hope the WD40 works , but can the request for lots of snow at resort level wait until after 12 November, as I've a truck load of furniture arriving then Very Happy
ski holidays
@muppet, Mark's coming to Tignes, way too much hot air in Val for snow in Nov wink
ski holidays
What a gem this thread is!

Wondered if anyone has accommodation recommendations somewhere central for a group of max 5-8 ppl?
ski holidays
@Agevi, If you give us a clue to age range, price band and apres vs peace and quiet requirements, catered or self I'll have a go!

10cm of wet snow yesterday on the top part of the glacier, Champagny must be the busiest drag in Europe today with it being a bit windy for the Cable Car. I have never seen a surface pond on the lower part of the Glacier near the base station for Rosolin before - not stopping those Langlaufers though - quite a lot of masochists this morning Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

@Agevi, If you give us a clue to age range, price band and apres vs peace and quiet requirements, catered or self I'll have a go!

Thanks @chocksaway!

Age range: 25-35
Price band: Ideally max. £400 per person for 7 days
Apres vs peace: in the middle - not in the centre of the parties and not completely removed from the action
Catered / self: either one works but probably self-catered with our budget

Thanks for your help in advance! Smile
latest report
@Agevi, Mmm tricky to get a catered chalet for that, unless its last minute, again tricky for up to 8. Occasionally the Tignes Chalet Company have room in the Lavachet Lodge for that number, not luxurious - but if you don't fancy cooking...... So maybe do it yourself would be good. Sounds like you will be best off in Le Lac or Lavachet - both close to the action but quieter than Val Claret which can be very noisy if you get the wrong building (agents are notoriously shy at telling you where it is!!). All the rental agents are pretty much of a muchness (ie not that great) but locatignes.com is run by a collective of owners, so you are dealing direct.
ski holidays
You could stay in Les Brévières - fits your budget - nice chalet have stayed in the larger one. https://www.chaletchardons.com/chalets/tignes-apartments-hattiers/
latest report
Boris80 wrote:
You could stay in Les Brévières - fits your budget - nice chalet have stayed in the larger one. https://www.chaletchardons.com/chalets/tignes-apartments-hattiers/

Chardons is a great place but couldn't be more removed from the aprés action. Might be within budget though.

You might also get into Melezes for that budget. That is next to the bus stop for the shuttle to Le Lac and VC. If you can get in for the budget, that would be a better option if night life is important. https://mountainsunfrance.com/winter-holidays/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes/
snow conditions
@Agevi,
Try looking here:-
https://www.tignes.co.uk/accommodation.php
snow report
Quote:

@Agevi, Mmm tricky to get a catered chalet for that, unless its last minute, again tricky for up to 8. Occasionally the Tignes Chalet Company have room in the Lavachet Lodge for that number, not luxurious - but if you don't fancy cooking...... So maybe do it yourself would be good. Sounds like you will be best off in Le Lac or Lavachet - both close to the action but quieter than Val Claret which can be very noisy if you get the wrong building (agents are notoriously shy at telling you where it is!!). All the rental agents are pretty much of a muchness (ie not that great) but locatignes.com is run by a collective of owners, so you are dealing direct.

Thanks @chocksway, that's super helpful! Yeah, I'm starting to get a sense that Tignes is either pricy and/or it's a high week, meaning we'll either increase our budget or indeed just do self-catered which I don't mind! Le Lac and Lavachet were the areas I also landed on after doing some research so that's encouraging! Will have a good look at your recommendations, much appreciated!

Quote:

Thanks @Boris80 but I think that's too far out for our needs!

Quote:

Chardons is a great place but couldn't be more removed from the aprés action. Might be within budget though.

You might also get into Melezes for that budget. That is next to the bus stop for the shuttle to Le Lac and VC. If you can get in for the budget, that would be a better option if night life is important. https://mountainsunfrance.com/winter-holidays/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes/

@bar_shaker that's what I thought too! Thanks for the link, will check it out!

Quote:

@Agevi,
Try looking here:-
https://www.tignes.co.uk/accommodation.php

@Kenzie thank you! Will look here as well!

Really appreciate all your guys' help with this! Now just need to lock down final group size and get booking! ^^
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy