Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
The snowmaking is in full force and the bubbles got a test run this afternoon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@muppet, what about the coffee machine at Rosies? Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
The stuff on the left, between Garage Overpriced and the Lake is social housing. I
Well I never! That's news to me! (Live and learn Rodney wink) Didn't occur to me that any bits of Tignes other than Les Brev has year-round inhabitants...

I stand corrected...in my orthopaedic insoles.... Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come onnnnnnnn Double M!! Get yourself open! We've got everything crossed for our weekend trip!! Very Happy

With 20 or 30cm of snow forecast at resort level, surely the day is nigh??

Is there no word on the street Chocksaway Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure if the EK is going to get much over the next 4 or 5 days. The forecast seems to vary hour by hour.
@mountainaddict, I think you have some good conditions for mid-Nov anyway. They have had the cannons working on Double M and the bottom of the Grattalu for several days so must be skiable with care I would have thought
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict,
Double M opening 14 Nov according to this:-
https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/le-ski-en-automne-sur-le-glacier

Glacier pistes:
Glacier open
Descente (reserved to training)
Champagny (reserved to training)
Rosolin (opening postponed)
Boucle de ski de fond open
Face open
Dahu open
Double M opening on 14/11
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Double M opening 14 Nov
Woo hoo!! Come on down!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
Not sure if the EK is going to get much over the next 4 or 5 days. The forecast seems to vary hour by hour
Snow-forecast.com is still saying 40cm-plus to come at glacier level.... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like the word rolled down the street between 10 and 12 today!

Normally, they only announce things a couple of days before. If I'm in the village there are hidden agents who can be relied on but not when I'm still in the ancestral homeland!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Double M opening 14 Nov
Woo hoo!! Come on down!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
Not sure if the EK is going to get much over the next 4 or 5 days. The forecast seems to vary hour by hour
Snow-forecast.com is still saying 40cm-plus to come at glacier level.... wink

Jammy ***** expletive deleted
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
@muppet, what about the coffee machine at Rosies? Very Happy

No update on the coffee machine but the deck has been cleared.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good job Double M opened as 130k gusts preclude anything but the Funicular running this morning. Hang on to yer hat! More snow due....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The VdI pisties had a live video on Facebook this morning. Jeez, it's tipping down!! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bar shaker, just looked at the Tov webcam, some shovelling to do up there Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway,
Good fall overnight tonight and some more on Sunday. Just what the Doctor ordered.
Miserable weather here. Water everywhere.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It’s a wild night in Val d’Isere weather wise.
snow report

snow conditions
^ wow, sideways snow!

I love it when the pre-season starts with a bang snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, It certainly will this morning as it's avi risk 4! Boom! 30 cm of snow and a lot of wind!
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/TignesUK/videos/1302664356579759/

The down side of all that snow (but I doubt they'll be complaining too much!):-
https://www.facebook.com/loop.bar.5/videos/2526225090807595/
ski holidays

La Daille view this morning
snow report
The Rosolin lift looks to be opening for the first time tomorrow.
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/pisteurval/photos/pcb.3111403368934155/3111403292267496/?type=3&theater

Picture courtesy of Val d' pisteurs Cool
snow report
Just had a quick look at the weather for the next 10 days. Its all a bit random over the weekend with showers which may or may not happen, so there should be some good skiing, at times goggles may be order of the day. Then a pair of nice cold days with a bit of sun to enjoy the snow. From Wednesday there is a bit of a change. The Jetstream goes a bit funky and splits in two. For the Tignes area this means it is going to warm up a bit as the winds swing from North to South. On Wednesday it will still be cool enough for the showers to be snow, by Thursday those during the day may well be rain to 1800m or maybe slightly more, it will be snow by night. Thursday will be similar and by Friday the snowline by day may reach 2100m and similarly into the weekend. But it will still be below zero by night so we may lose some snow at levels below Lac by the end of next weekend, and it is likely to be slushy in the lower villages (Val D included). As Lac has 55cm already and with a top up over the next few days we should be more than OK Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Mates just arrived to open up a chalet (That may be recommended on Page 1). Luckily the snow blower started first time as they were confronted with 2 feet of snow on the driveway Shocked
snow report
Slightly odd question, but does anyone know if the Sherpa in Lac centre sells goats milk and porridge oats (or have the time and inclination to check when they're in there).
latest report
@sugarmoma666, not sure about goats milk, it's difficult enough to get fresh milk though. I've seen Scott's PO in Bourg, but must of us set sail with a car load.

If I remember I'll have a look, but I'm normally only in for bread and bananas, the rest comes from Bourg on a 2 week cycle.
latest report
@sugarmoma666,
Bring the porridge with you, I have.
Not sure about Tignes but checked the Super U in Bourg today without luck.

Milk in Bourg - Soya , Almond , Coconut yes at a price. Goats I didn’t see.
snow report
Original post moved to "Trip Reports" where I should have posted in the first place! rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 17-11-19 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, @chocksaway, the Carrefour on Rue de la Poste sold porridge oats when I was last there nearly 2 years ago. It is a Carrefour by Duch Sports just along from bottom of Palafour chair isn't it?? Don't now about goats' milk but it was easy to get fresh cows' milk there, rather than UHT stuff.
snow conditions
Thanks muppet, chocksaway and PeakyB for the replies re. goats' milk and porridge oats. Sounds like it's not likely I'll be able to get goats' milk. If anyone does find it, let me know. I was lucky on my m last ski trip but I suppose that's an advantage of having yourself in an Austrian town with a decent sized supermarket. I might bring some teabags just in case.

I'll see how I do on weight, but I should have plenty of space for porridge oats.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, The Carrefour is actually a very good supermarket with a lot of choice, and the prices of many things are not as "mountain" as the Sherpa. As

@PeakyB, says, I would be very surprised if you couldnt get porridge oats there.
latest report
@sugarmoma666,

There is loads of UHT goats milk in Super U Bourg they sell in six’s or one’s all year round . They do not sell Fresh Goats milk .
They also stock UHT Goats in the small supermarkets in Ste Foy so I would be very surprised if they didn’t in the bigger Tignes ones .

I think the trick is to look in the dry goods and not the fridges .
snow report
Jumping on the food shopping topic - do they sell oven chips in supermarket in Tignes Val Claret? Also things like fish fingers ( thinking of easy meals for kids)?
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/TignesUK/videos/550079469111924/
ski holidays
@Kenzie, that squeaky sound makes the hairs on my neck stand up!

@muppet, those photos look superb.
snow report
Any intel on the link between Val D and Tignes being open from the 29th where i arrive ? They did manage to open it last year. One other question: the liftpass we have says Val D 2 days, and 1 day Tignes - is that a new pass?
latest report
Thanks everyone for all the help you’ve given me. I can’t believe how helpful a bunch of strangers on the internet have been. Having researched everything we’ve opted for an apartment in Tignes 1800 first week of Feb - much better apartment for the price than higher up which swung it for MrsJ!!

One more thing - we’re looking at ski school for my 9yr. Any recommendations? Happy to bus to Lac or Val Claret. The thing is we don’t want a full week as he’d like to ski with us a bit so probably 2 or 3 days with other kids. Any suggestions? And what level should we look at? He’s skied for five holidays in Canada and is happy on all the groomed single blacks, parallel most of the time. Starting to tackle the bumps and the inbounds ‘off piste’. How does this relate to skiing in France?

Thanks again all. Might see some of you out there!
ski holidays
@DanishRider, the links will not open until 30 Nov period. So who ever you are with has provided a one day Tignes pass for the Friday and a 2 day area pass, at a guess.

@TommyJ, firstly, book soon for that week! I would look at Ultimate and New Generation first, both equally as good with English kids. They will advise which group and whether your requirements can be made.
snow report
For multiple morning kids classes, it's hard to beat ESF. They have a meeting point near your apartment at 1800.

If you want small group lessons, have a look at TDC or Evolution 2.
snow report
Thanks. I didn’t realise you had to book so early. I’m used to Canada where there’s usually only one ski school and you can almost always book the day before. Mind you the European prices are a pleasant change!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy