Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@drporat, look at that snow depth though.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB wrote:
@drporat, look at that snow depth though.
snowHead

Hey, look at us, well behaved adults who already got their winter gifts from Father Christmas.... although I have to add that I don't remember myself as actually behaving that well NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Since there seem to be a lot of knowledge people here, and as we’ve pretty much settled on Tignes I hope is ok to post some questions on here.

We’re a family of three (9yr kid), confident intermediates who’ve previously skied in Canada. After far too much research we’re looking at tignes and trying to decide which part to stay in. Seems like our choice after everything else is a typical small cramped appt in Val Claret or a much nicer larger place in 1800. I really like the look of 1800 - Apres for us is a couple of beers and a movie on the iPad! My only worry is location. Is it too far from the main slopes? Will we find it too hard to get to Val Claret and Grande Motte. And is it still feasible to get over to Val DIsere?

Can anyone reassure me or tell me our plans are daft?!? Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ps webcams already looking nice! I wonder who much time over the years I’ve wasted on ski resort webcams?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TommyJ, as an option on days when you were in a rush to get somewhere from 1800, there is a regular shuttle bus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1800 is fine. Its a lift to Boisses gondola Aiguile Rouge and then a ski into Le Lac. From Le Lac you can take Touviere towards Val D'Isere or Val Claret. The query is whether these lifts are running in time for you to get to ski school should you need to. 1800 is fine, but a little more removed and it means anextra couple of lifts and runs each day, but they are good fun runs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My post crossed with the one above while typing it(!!) rolling eyes but here goes....

TommyJ You needn't worry - the whole Espace Killy lift system is very well connected. There are still a few slow lifts - with a couple right above Tignes 1800 as it happens. You need to ride one of those (a fairly short one) for the most direct/quickest routes to get to Val D & the Grande Motte glacier lifts:
- Gondola, slow chair, gondola (with some nice skiing in beteeen) & you are at Toviere summit to ski straight down to the Val D area.
- Gondola, slow chair, fast chair (Paquis) - with skiing down to board Paquis Chair - to then ski down to the Grande Motte funicular at Val Claret.

From the top of the gondola out of 1800, you can also take a scenic, less direct route to Val Claret and the glacier - via Aiguille Percee (involving another - very long - slow lift after the gondola from 1800). Only 3 or 4 lifts but a fair distance on skis.

Or, as has been mentioned, you can catch a 5 min shuttle bus to Tignes Le Lac where you are straight on to the Toviere gondola or Palafour chair to connect as above.

Absolutely no problem wherever you decide to stay in terms of slope access - but 1800 itself is rather more soulless than Val Claret, Le Lac, Lavachet and Les Brevieres.

In other words, it's completely dead.The new apartment blocks are all very nice but otherwise there is very little there - a Spar supermarket is about the highlight. I don't think you can even buy a lift ticket there any more - the office that sold them was swallowed up in the new developments.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. That’s reassuring. The tour op also says taxi to ski school if we’re doing it.
Not sure if I’m too bothered my soulless and quiet - but MrsJ expects a certain level of comfort and I don’t think the apartments in Val Claret cut it with her!
The bus looks good - presumably we can ski to one of the bigger villages, enjoy a drink and bus back.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TommyJ, Pretty sure ESF ski school that operate out of Breviere and 1800 as well.

To echo what has been said above, 1800 will feel a bit purpose built, but your level of accom is probably better than Val Claret.

Getting around on skis is a doddle, and you could easily catch a beer in Lac before catching the last Chaudannes lift (16.30, or 17.00 from Feb onward) and skiing down to 1800.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not going to disagree with any of the above. If you do ski school in Lac, then the free shuttle bus will be the way, junior will arrive warmer!

Also if you prefer quieter apres as you describe you will be fine in 1800. The problem with Val Claret is location, half of it is fine, half is very noisy, ie to 6am in the morning.

Hopefully as 1800 expands bit by bit the services will also expand year by year.

As I understand it, the 2 slow lifts will be replaced over the next two summer's. Marais in 20 and Aiguille Rouge in 21.

Lac to 1800 bus runs till midnight, so you can still pop out for a meal, it only takes 10 mins.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, Was out with mates for a birthday bash yesterday and told one of them about the QdC Burns Supper (as he will be there on the day) and that he needs to get in touch with Duncan to book etc etc.

They are a "slightly older" group and after a days skiing usually stay in, cook and watch the tv rather than hit the pub.

Had to explain exactly where it was..........despite them (for 3 or 4 years running) staying at their pals apartment which is in the same block as TCs was and hence about 50 yards from the pub Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like Face is open Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good news re Face. Very Happy

Am I right in thinking that, in good early season snow (like now), Bollin freebie chair & Tichot chair have opened before the winter season start at the end of November?? Sticks in my mind that they have... Puzzled

And how is Double M coming along? We'll be there from late next Friday night - outlook on Snow-forecast (which only goes up to Fri at present) is for snow to low levels (600m!) for the drive up...

So it's fingers crossed for a break in the weather next weekend - or for Double M to be open for some better, low-level, visibility wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevew, really? looks full of snowmaking hills to me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TommyJ, You have been given lots of good advice. ESF do operate out of 1800 as @GreenDay, said.

My personal choice with a 9yo would be to stay higher up though, in Lac, Lavachet or VC. In Lac there is the Carrefour supermarket, the Lagon swimming pool and the Tignespace sports centre.

From 1800 the school would have to use 2 lifts each day to access the main ski area and this could well take 30 minutes of each session. Alternatively they could bus up to Lac, again using up time. I think youngster would get much more tuition and varied skiing staying higher.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@stevew, really? looks full of snowmaking hills to me.

It says so on their website
ski holidays
How come Leisse is now an itinerary? I guess that means they'll never piste it which is a shame as I've been down it when there were huge bumps on it, it was exhausting! It's always been a nice, cruisey black in the past, when pisted.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 10-11-19 14:24; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Dr John, Face in Tignes doesn't have snowmaking, and is listed as open.
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, see Chocksaway analysis of question to this on the previous page (or 2)
ski holidays
And go to the back of the class @HoneyBunny, Very Happy snowHead

@GreenDay, I'll be tberecproviding mates can be persuaded, promise not to sing on ilkla moor ba'that.

@mountainaddict

I've seen Bollin open, as it allows Beginners to avoid the queues, but never Tichot. Can't be long until Lanches though. That allows lots more tickets to be sold.
ski holidays
@stevew, @chocksaway, apols, missed that! Embarassed

Makes sense I guess, wasn't a run I did often anyway.
snow conditions
However, if they take Leisse lift out, it will make a great route for lazy tourers. Train to the top, a good long ski and a benign skin back to Genepy Very Happy
latest report
I enjoy the ski from the top to the GM to the bottom of Leisse as it's a nice long ski and it's easy to repeat the GM that way .. provided queue isn't to bad.
snow report
Quote:

And how is Double M coming along?

@mountainaddict, officially still closed but canons are going like the clappers and folk are skiing home on it after a day on the Glacier. Reports from those same folk are: don't use your best skis.
snow conditions
^^^^Ta. Hopefully not long now then Very Happy
latest report
@rjs, ah, different face. My bad.
latest report
Looks good out there.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162613249580094&set=a.10151319614875094&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/snoworks/videos/1479225932215773/

https://www.facebook.com/snoworks/videos/461158764540061/
latest report
TommyJ wrote:
Since there seem to be a lot of knowledge people here, and as we’ve pretty much settled on Tignes I hope is ok to post some questions on here.

We’re a family of three (9yr kid), confident intermediates who’ve previously skied in Canada. After far too much research we’re looking at tignes and trying to decide which part to stay in. Seems like our choice after everything else is a typical small cramped appt in Val Claret or a much nicer larger place in 1800. I really like the look of 1800 - Apres for us is a couple of beers and a movie on the iPad! My only worry is location. Is it too far from the main slopes? Will we find it too hard to get to Val Claret and Grande Motte. And is it still feasible to get over to Val DIsere?

Can anyone reassure me or tell me our plans are daft?!? Thanks

You should be able to find larger apartments in le Lac and Lavachet. There are more non-ski activity options there than in Boisses/1800.

Try looking at these sites:-

https://en.tignes.net/discover/ski-resort/accommodation-overview

https://www.tignes.co.uk/accommodation.php
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just had a further thought re Tignes 1800 Kenzie….While the bus stop to connect to Le Lac (then ski from there or change of bus to go onward to Val Claret) is very close to the new apartments of 1800, depending on exactly where you are staying, it may be a bit further (2-300m or so to get to the point where you would put your skis on to slide down the beginner run to the gondola out of 1800). Not a huge distance but I thought I'd mention it wink.
snow report
@TommyJ, what time of the season do you plan to stay in Tignes?
latest report
Thanks everyone. Looks like we’re going early February - slightly odd school holidays using a few training days and a couple of days. Presume anything will be reasonably snow covered then.

We want a package from a northern airport for minimal hassle - and doing it this way surprisingly few options in Tignes seem to be coming up
ski holidays
And given that we’ve been in Banff for the last few years where getting to the slopes involved a walk, bus, further walk and lift anything seems easier!!
ski holidays
^^^ Indeed TommyJ Very Happy

Have you had a look at Tignes.co.uk for a self catering place? They usually have a fair range on there...
snow report
@TommyJ, Also worth asking the tour ops (ski total are pretty big in Tignes) if they have anything?

You mentioned "Northern" airports, they go from all over including Scotland.

Unless you deffo want to self cater.
snow report
@TommyJ, Have a look at www.thetigneschaletcompany.com

Independent outfit. Maybe sort your own flights. They run their own transfer company.

You'll also find that their ski school www.ultimatesnowsports.com is highly rated.

ps, I have no connection to them but I do spend a fair bit of time in Tignes.

No idea of your budget but for pure convenience Mark Warner's chalet hotel the Aiguille Percee is hard to beat and they do offer regional flights. Right in the heart of Tignes le Lac. Short walk to the snowfront, lifts and ski school meeting point. Varied selection of bars/restaurants close by and very easy to ski into the centre of "Lac" to collect kids from ski school.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I think you are being a bit hard on 1800. You can clip in and ski to the gondola from pretty much any of the new development. There is also a magic carpet to bring you back up.

The bars and restuarants there have got better and busier since it opened and it's growing quite well. There is always the bar at Melezes too... always a great atmosphere in there.
snow report
Quote:
I think you are being a bit hard on 1800. You can clip in and ski to the gondola from pretty much any of the new development
I agree re. the new bit on the right of the main road up to Le Lac - but was specifically thinking of the accommodation on the left side of road (after the petrol station/roundabout)...

We generally use the free parking at 1800 and also ski down that way a fair bit - so will have to check out the latest developments.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, The stuff on the left, between Garage Overpriced and the Lake is social housing. I don't think there are any rentals there, though there maybe the odd sublet, social housing abuse is alive and well in Tignes!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@mountainaddict, The stuff on the left, between Garage Overpriced and the Lake is social housing. I don't think there are any rentals there, though there maybe the odd sublet, social housing abuse is alive and well in Tignes!

Pete, Tignes English pisteur lived there when it opened, but didnt like it and moved back up to VC with his family.
snow conditions
Since the La Daille webcam is still off I took a few pictures today.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy