Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway,
Is that kmh or mph.
All the ski gear out today and socks seem to have more holes in them than I remember!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@drporat, massive plus one for Yannick and Mountain Pro In Val - I was in Tignes last season and skied over on my old touring boots and was given a pair of test boots by Yannick to try out for the day - very knowledgable, helpful and genuine. Not the cheapest but brilliant after-sales service even doing remedial work on a while-you-wait basis cos he knew I had to get the lift back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mark1863, kph, still a bit breezy!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow line disappointingly high. 2500m I am guessing. Due to get colder later. Lets hope so before the current fall reaches its conclusion.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/

A smattering of snow at Resort level in the last 1hr 10mins.

I never knew webcams could be so bl00dy addictive....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are the cannons not going on Double M yet??

Hoping to ski to the bottom by we arrive for 2 days' skiing on 16 & 17 Nov...Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SBP wrote:
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/

A smattering of snow at Resort level in the last 1hr 10mins.

I never knew webcams could be so bl00dy addictive....

Snow at resort level!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And with a cold forecast for the week could not be better! Surely Double M will get snow blown from tomorrow.
Not much depth on Toviere but looks like it will snow on and off all day.
edit
The chaps are out to sort out the last tennis courts in Le Lac. The nets are gone and the fencing is coming down. A clear a sign as the white ground that the season is close.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surprised the tower crane still in place on the old alpaca building site this late in the year?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surprised the tower crane still in place on the old alpaca building site this late in the year?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look like quite a lot of snow and it's even white to Brev. No doubt most of the snow below Lac de Tignes will vanish before it turns white for the season. But it's looking promising for above 2400m.

@snowornever, The crane will be there till 29 Nov, they normally give permission right to the day before the main season starts. They will still be working flat out!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, it's white down to St Foy according to a pal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the webcams show a bit in Ste Foy station but nothing that probably won t be gone by next week.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The tennis court chaps in Le Lac have been busy. Just about all the tennis paraphenalia has gone.
Most forecasts seem to suggest that FL will be below 2000m for the rest of the week at least. Next week will determine how low down the snow will remain by the look of it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a longer look at the weather for the next couple of weeks (usual health warning!). It is going to be unsettled as far as it is possible to forecast (unless you are the Daily Express). It looks colder than average into next week so there could well be significant accumulations for early November. The critical thing will be the LPN, it should be below the Dam until Thursday and then during the weekend storms it will be about 1900m, so Lac should be fine, it may well become a slush fest next door in Val on Friday with storms forecast, lets hope it stays lower. The Jetstream forecast does show a slight warming from the early teens of Nov as the air is taking a less direct route from the frozen wastes of North America, so again we may be in for a bit of yo-yo depths of snow, but if it snows in Lac through this weekend we may well have seen the last of the grass!

Shame the full area season is starting a bit later this year.
latest report
Quote:
The critical thing will be the LPN, it should be below the Dam until Thursday....
Er, what's the LPN Puzzled

Quote:
Shame the full area season is starting a bit later this year
Thought it was usually scheduled for the last weekend in November - so same as this year Puzzled
snow conditions
LPN = limite pluie neige level where snow turns to rain ie c4 degrees as opposed to fl the 0 deg isotherm

edited for spell check/fat fingers although limit plus beige might be a meteorological term!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-11-19 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Errrm, Limite Pluie-Neige ... ?
snow report
Webcams look great this morning. Nearly covered the tyres at the top of Toviere
snow report
@mountainaddict, Soz about the acronym - was doing it all in French! The EK opened on 24th last year, so 6 days later.

Now reporting 60cm of fresh and avi risk 3 on the glacier - winter has arrived up there!

@Wildsmith, Given the stereotype dress of an RAF Met Man - farahs and tweed jacket with leather elbow patches plus beige is about spot on Laughing Laughing Laughing

Snow cannons running on Double M, may soon have 1345m of vertical skiing - somebody will have a go!
latest report
Comforting to see some fresh snow. Especially when you're starting to shell out the wonga for the upcoming season rolling eyes
snow conditions
Limited not just to RAF, the plus beige. Could catch on... Might be the new chalet-girl look for this season.

https://www.riverisland.com/p/plus-beige-longline-coat-735876
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The critical thing will be the LPN, it should be below the Dam until Thursday....
Er, what's the LPN Puzzled

Quote:
Shame the full area season is starting a bit later this year
Thought it was usually scheduled for the last weekend in November - so same as this year Puzzled

IIR the EK used to open on the last full weekend of November (eg Sat 23rd & Sun 24th Nov 2019). But not this season. Puzzled
snow report
@Kenzie, I think that's been converted to the last Saturday! Bit like ski 365, ski 12 mois, ski 11 mois next?

@GeorgeVII, Can you send a sub across the M62, its been a hard month (including new cam belt etc!). At least the coprop have abandoned the daft (and very expensive) closing in of the balconies to make some apts bigger.

A few brave soles managed to ski down to VC - bravo
snow conditions
Quote:

@GeorgeVII, Can you send a sub across the M62, its been a hard month (including new cam belt etc!

Hah! 2 way traffic on the M62. A sub this way to help out an OAP with unrealistic ski ambitions wouldn't go amiss. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

A few "squiggles" down Trolles as well. Is that the definition of "Fresh Tracks"?

Also noted that by scrolling back to around lunchtime on the VC webcam, cannons can be seen running on lower section of Double M.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Just been looking at rail tickets from MAN to the ancestral homeland, TPE seem not to be doing advance tickets for the Xmas period - can I borrow your OAP railcard?? Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, [quote] can I borrow your OAP railcard? 

Alas, not something that I posess. Rarely use trains. Perhaps I should look into it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Just been looking at rail tickets from MAN to the ancestral homeland,

Probably have to provide some API to get you through the customs border at the top of Windy Hill.
snow report
Quote:
....and then spent the rest of the day melting Ptex into their gouged bases... Laughing

Reminds me of a stormy day in Tignes in November last year...After being disappointed that the glacier was snowbound, and with heavy snow falling, Mrs MA and I hiked up to ski powder runs on the golf driving range at Val Claret. We really enjoyed some lovely powder on the grassy terrain.

We then moved on to hike up under the Tichot Chair to ski what we thought were more grassy slopes beneath...Whoops! We soon found that that area is very rocky indeed - barely a turn without the horror sound of ski base on rock...No choice but to abort and hike back down.

And they were hire skis too....After dreading taking them back, the shop didn't even check them... Shocked
latest report
Is Saturday 30th the definite earliest of the opening of the links to VdI - or if the conditions were to allow it, would they open them earlier.
latest report
On the ski map on the website Leissre (sp) is now an itinerary, is this new?
snow report
Leisse black in the past. Not my favourite. Looks like they see it more as a way of skiing right off the top and getting back to mid-station than a black run per se. Think the bit near the bottom is very hard for many - possibly one too many accidents there. So discouraging the "piste" skier from going down it.
More snow than I was expecting; seems to have been good bit extra around the resort overnight
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, It will be, none of the staff will be on hire etc. The only variable is when Double M down to Val Claret opens (and the lift passes go up!).

@stevew, Because of the retreat of the glacier the bottom of Leisse is now a pick your way through rocks and boulders. 2 years ago there was enough snow to make a run down there to the lift, last year no so it was a bit trick. They also cant get a piste basher down there to do the final run in (unless they come all the way up the valley from Genepy). So it becomes very mogulled and so I suspect, like Mark says, its to discourage the intermadiots from 'doing a black'. How long they can justify the lift for a few people will be a moot point.

@mountainaddict, Shocked You'll have to come and join us on more summer walks.

More snow due today Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Better reasoning from @chocksaway, on Leisse. But we detect the same real issue; the last bit to the lift.

Moral dilemma:
Friend has an appartment rented in La Daille. It will cost me E20 a night to stay 19/1-7/2 (own room with own shower) - so less than E400. Some of the time on my lonesome. Also I can leave my gear with him after my 4 weeks in Dec. Alternative a chalet in Tignes at approaching £2000 for the same time. What would you do?
It feels like I will have gone to the Dark Side.
Will my Tignes mates ever talk to me again!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

@stevew, Because of the retreat of the glacier the bottom of Leisse is now a pick your way through rocks and boulders. 2 years ago there was enough snow to make a run down there to the lift, last year no so it was a bit trick. They also cant get a piste basher down there to do the final run in (unless they come all the way up the valley from Genepy). So it becomes very mogulled and so I suspect, like Mark says, its to discourage the intermadiots from 'doing a black'. How long they can justify the lift for a few people will be a moot point.

Tah, makes sense , the last time I did it, which was in early Jan 2015, compared to the previous in Jan 2009, was a lot gnarlier at the bottom bit where it narrows to the lift than I remembered, my mate really didn't like it!
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/snoworks/videos/969951683382889/

Alright for some.
ski holidays
My season is not going to go quite as planned; I had a week booked for mid-March in Tignes that I will not be able to go on, but I really need to go skiing and preferably in Tignes or Val d’Isere. It is quite likely that the only week that I am able to go skiing for is the week starting the 14/12/19. This is the same week as the world cup races in Val d’Isere, so my question is, assuming that the reasonable start to the season continues, how much of the skiing area will closed due to the races, and how much is likely to skiable bearing in mind that it will still be very early season?
snow report
rambotion wrote:
My season is not going to go quite as planned; I had a week booked for mid-March in Tignes that I will not be able to go on, but I really need to go skiing and preferably in Tignes or Val d’Isere. It is quite likely that the only week that I am able to go skiing for is the week starting the 14/12/19. This is the same week as the world cup races in Val d’Isere, so my question is, assuming that the reasonable start to the season continues, how much of the skiing area will closed due to the races, and how much is likely to skiable bearing in mind that it will still be very early season?

They typically close the bottom half of Face (from the expensive resturaunt down), And All of Ok/Orange from just off the top of Bellvarde all the way to La Daille. The rest of the area is left open to us plebs.

Chairlifts Marmottes and Bellevard Express are closed when there are racers on the runs. If both Stantons (uggggh!) and Epaulle de Charvet are shut (often are early season) then the only way back to Val diz from Tignes is down the gondola, or ski/funival to LaDaille and then bus up the valley. And if they've race prepared the bottom of Face then best to avoid it anyway - sheet ice.
ski holidays
Tigski wrote:
@drporat, Mountain attitude did change ownership at the end of last season and I was told the new owners are experienced in ski-touring and the market for it. Ludo (one of them) expected the business to carry on pretty much as before. I would imagine the place is closed until mid November. As @chocksaway, indicated the previous owners are concentrating on the mountain biking business.

Indeed, it appears they are experienced in touring. But I'm not sure it's related to shoe-fitting.
I've just received a response email from the new owners, it didn't mention any change of course. Saying they have a wide choice etc.
The email was sent from a mobile phone, signed by Ben Buccy and (An)toine
A quick search found this and then this
Any feedbacks?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy