Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, yes, a little bit of rule bending going on. Tea Room/Bakery in Lavachet was doing coffees etc to be consumed outside.

Just seen that the Jam Bar is going to be doing food to take out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had P&V confirm my accommodation booking has been cancelled, with a credit note to rebook until November next year.

So that's final then, as expected. On the plus side I'll be about £3k richer this year than I expected with the insurance claims!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oddly enough I did hear that Ste Foy and La Rosiere were open today but I can't confirm that as factual.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GeorgeVII wrote:
@chocksaway, yes, a little bit of rule bending going on. Tea Room/Bakery in Lavachet was doing coffees etc to be consumed outside.

Just seen that the Jam Bar is going to be doing food to take out.

Artic and Source in Val d’Isere are doing something similar. Take out only.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bodeswell wrote:
@Hurtle, @HoneyBunny, It's not that you personally can't name anyone! There aren't any names...anywhere. I shouldn't post at these hours really. I'm just really curious why we don't hear anything from those who have lost their loved ones? There is literally nothing...just a black hole. In what other crisis have we not had any information on those affected. ..Terrorism, 9/11, London Bridge? This is highly unusual. They are shutting down whole countries because of this, we deserve to know more.

I'm sorry it upsets you but that's where we are just now, wow or not.

How about this?? Good enough for you?

https://dump.video/i/PgFtDR.mp4
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, well done, you win. Night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HoneyBunny, dreadful Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes dreadful..I'd expect that goes without saying.
Except that twitter post has been criticised for comparing apples and pears (Sun and Tue editions) and not showing any names or more importantly ...cause of death.
If the best we can do is a twitter post, so be it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bodeswell, trying to get my head around this thread, but I think I've missed something. When the UK government announces xx deaths as a result of Covid-19, are you saying that they are lying, and there are no such deaths? Ditto other governments?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, No I'm not saying that as it happens. It's just I would have expected a devastating illness such as this with so many deaths to have led to some reaction, something we could grasp that isn't in the ether. Some upset families, and such like. Maybe that's yet to come. How many have there been in the UK? 19 so far? Five people on average die every day on the roads. We don't hear about them either.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bodeswell, what kind of reaction are you thinking of? People die all the time, without any reaction other than the private grief of the family concerned. The mother of one of our best friends died two days ago. Elderly, with underlying health conditions, although not related to Covid-19. I'm very sad as she was a sweet old lady, who I've known for about 25 years. We've bought our friend some flowers and a card and I'll go to the funeral when it happens, but I'm not kind of sure what sort of reaction this death should lead to outside of our friend's family.

Are you looking for more wailing on the streets? I've seen a bit of that on the news from Italy, and I'd guess we'll see more in the next few months. We're only at the start of this thing in the UK with only a small number of deaths so far, and it's going to get a whole lot worse. The country is already approaching a state of panic, as any supermarket visit will attest, and it will get worse although I'm unsure what that will look like when it steps up several gears.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
@Bodeswell,
Are you looking for more wailing on the streets? I've seen a bit of that on the news from Italy, and I'd guess we'll see more in the next few months. We're only at the start of this thing in the UK with only a small number of deaths so far, and it's going to get a whole lot worse. The country is already approaching a state of panic, as any supermarket visit will attest, and it will get worse although I'm unsure what that will look like when it steps up several gears.

Of course not, I'm merely arguing a slightly different slant to yours earlier today about the fact that we are massively overreacting to this problem without really understanding where we stand in the scheme of things. Do we have some immunity and early spread as our CMO and the German CMO seem to believe or not? I get there are good reasons for worrying but I don't have to agree with them. I saw the supermarkets this morning, it's disgraceful.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bodeswell wrote:
Of course not, I'm merely arguing a slightly different slant to yours earlier today about the fact that we are massively overreacting to this problem without really understanding where we stand in the scheme of things.
OK, I understand now. What do you think the situation would look like if the UK weren't over-reacting? I also think that there is a lot of over-reaction around, although not really from government, more from how the public and the media are reacting to the government's management of this situation.

Bodeswell wrote:
Do we have some immunity and early spread as our CMO and the German CMO seem to believe or not?
I think it's probably too early for anyone to know that with any confidence. I'm pretty sure the UK's Deputy CMO suggested as much when she was interviews by Sky a couple of days ago. She hoped it would be the case and there was research going on to answer that, and other, questions as soon as possible, but everyone is managing this virus with a huge amount of uncertainty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Bodeswell wrote:
Of course not, I'm merely arguing a slightly different slant to yours earlier today about the fact that we are massively overreacting to this problem without really understanding where we stand in the scheme of things.
OK, I understand now. What do you think the situation would look like if the UK weren't over-reacting? I also think that there is a lot of over-reaction around, although not really from government, more from how the public and the media are reacting to the government's management of this situation. .

I've no idea. It's above my pay grade but as far as I can see it we have tried to keep a cool head and are being pushed to drastic measures by everyone else around us (and the media) going on full panic mode. Not herd immunity, but more like herd paranoia -running off the edge of a cliff with the other lemmings. Perhaps Germany excepted.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bodeswell wrote:
I've no idea. It's above my pay grade but as far as I can see it we have tried to keep a cool head and are being pushed to drastic measures by everyone else around us (and the media) going on full panic mode. Not herd immunity, but more like herd paranoia -running off the edge of a cliff with the other lemmings. Perhaps Germany excepted.
I agree there is great public pressure for drastic measures to be implemented immediately, although I think the government is resisting that. However, they are clearly losing the battle for controlling the narrative, which is more likely to lead to politicians responding to that public pressure. I hope the scientists will help stiffen the sinews, and perhaps moving to a daily press conference will help regain control of the narrative. Whatever the outcome of the battle for PR control, drastic measures will be upon us at some stage, because that's what is necessary to manage the peak pressures on the health service. The extent to which this is successful is something we'll find out over the next few months, but I can't see a return to something which looks like normality until the summer or later.
ski holidays
@Bodeswell,

Not really sure what reaction you want?

Thankfully the UK doesn't go overboard on public displays of grief but tend to more private and restrained. I am sure there will be lots of tears and losses to many families before the end of this.

I agree that the number of deaths at the moment seems low, is this not a good thing, but governments worldwide must be expecting the numbers to significantly increase or they would not have taken such drastic measures.

Yesterday in Tignes was so unreal. Everything closed down, tourists leaving, seasonaires trying to get home and locals not sure what will happen next. The majority of people in ski resorts only get paid when they are working. Full time salaried are available but are low wage and suplimented by tips.
snow report
@stewart woodward, Yep.

I went to school with a guy who has lived in your area for 25 years (now lives a bit further down, Ste Foy, Seez area), our friend and his wife both work in decent jobs for an upmarket tour op - they say it will be devastating, 6 weeks income lost, many businesses will go to the wall.

They have friends in all sectors of the ski industry in Tignes, from pisteur, apartment rental, off piste guide......you prob know that one, lives in lavachet currently off with ligament injury.......to other friends who run bars and restaurants.

All will be affected, and many have families.

The next time I am in Tignes I expect massive changes, because lots of these businesses need to invest heavily just to operate - and without the income they will fall apart.
snow report
Local pizza shop (Pizza Nick) in Lavachet says the Mairie of Tignes is going to allow them to open in the evenings for takeaways and deliveries. Might be my last supper after I've cleaned the apartment tomorrow.
snow conditions
Rotisserie chicken van arrived as normal in Val d’Isere this morning but looks like only a small amount of the other market traders have set up.
latest report
GeorgeVII wrote:
Local pizza shop (Pizza Nick) in Lavachet says the Mairie of Tignes is going to allow them to open in the evenings for takeaways and deliveries. Might be my last supper after I've cleaned the apartment tomorrow.

A chance to realise some cash from the stock they'll be holding.
But plenty of places will be throwing/giving away 'use by' expired food & drink stock pretty soon. And cancelling (if possible) orders for the same.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@Kenzie, because the announcement was made quite late in the evening lots of seasonnaires won't have had the chance to "rinse" their loyalty cards at the Loop Bar.

Perhaps lobby Jamie & Morgan to allow the credit to roll over to next season?
latest report
@Kenzie, quite a few offers already of food, cereals , cheese and ham etc.
snow conditions
@Bodeswell, journalists are starting to find upset families. See https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/family-of-manchester-coronavirus-victim-pay-tribute-to-gracious-gentleman which is being linked to someone who returned from skiing in Italy. His family have asked for acts of kindness in his honour, which I think is a lovely tribute: "Help someone who is lonely or struggling during this time, who needs shopping, childcare or a chat."
latest report
Bodeswell wrote:
We don't hear about them either.

You do, actually. In most cases the families of fatal crash victims release tributes via the police. You probably don't pay much attention to local news or read the local papers. A number of fatal crashes also lead to court cases which are reported on.

But anyway this is veering wildly off-topic.

The situation is unprecented and thousands more people are going to die whether you choose to believe it or not.
snow report
OT, but I think the issue we've not seen many faces is that most are very elderly, poorly people who were likely very ill in the first place so their deaths are not hugely unexpected. As less vulnerable people start to add to the numbers I'm sure we'll see more faces like the Manchester guy linked above.
snow report
Good Luck to those living/working in Tignes that may be finding it hard financially with the season ending earlier than expected. I hope you can all get through it.

A group of 17 of us were going to Tignes in April, our first ski holiday in 9 years for myself and longer for others so we are gutted that it isn't going to happen but I'd like to thank those that have given me advice over the past year, you have really helped in my planning of the trip.

We will be coming next year, but unfortunately our self catered Chalet is already booked up so if anyone knows of any self catered accommodation that can accommodate a large group send it my way!
snow conditions
Well that was a busy 24 hours. I, like tigski, was planning an orderly drawdown for a departure on Thursday! But the rumours started to fly yesterday morning, so a normal 3 day pack up and leisurely clean turned into a frenzy. Luckily, our local friendly electrician was in and so his freezer is now full (including stuff grown in God's Own County and frozen in Tignes), so little waste, which I hate. The ski kit was still on the racks when I left as it was slightly damp! I spoke to P and O yesterday afternoon, I could have changed my £230 Zeebrugge to Hull for no charge but as a single Calais Dover (she was not sure whether I would be able to cross into Belgium) was only 60 quid she suggested I make a new booking and then call them and convert the old booking for next season. Dick Turpin was alive and well at the Eurotunnel they wanted £175 for a single and that rose later in the evening. There was loads of capacity on my ship.

The plan was to leave at 6, but I woke at 4 to find a few messages (I had switched off to get a good night) over border closures. But as I am subscribed to the .gov.uk travel advice for France, that sorted the confusion. As a government service it is quick relevant and timely (shame they don't have the same guys at HMRC!). So I left at 445 and the road down the hill was very busy, with lots of people (French) taking risks. The roads seemed busy until north of Lyon then it was mainly North East Europeans (surprisingly a load of Swedish camper vans), but as they peeled off at various exits there were fewer and fewer cars until north of Lille and it was me, a few other Brits and the truckers. I did spot ST19 FOY (nice plate) and B15 MTN (clue for Tig followers its an orange van!) overtook me twice! Just one police van I think, it looked like a grace period had been allowed for.

Once inside the 'Jungle' fencing at Calais the car lane was free but there were a lot of lorries, so I was doing the permitted 50 when a 'refugee' appeared from under a lorry, clearly he had not got into a secure spot when it started moving. I missed him! As the ferries are not full it was get on the next one irrespective of fare paid. Once again, well done P&O.

Now in a hotel on Dover seafront, it was a relief to only have to do the 1/2 mile from the port after 628 on the French side. Cullens Yard do really nice seafood!

Its been a long day, off to bed with a book.
snow conditions
Another beautiful day in Tignes. Warm temperatures and wall to wall sunshine.

The pistes are in excellent condition but surprisingly quiet for the time of year Puzzled

Armed with the required piece of French paperwork I went for a run this morning. Only saw 2 other people and the local dustbin operatives.

All non essential shops are closed and some of the smaller patisseries have closed. Thr other shops have gone to inter season hours.

Looking forward to another 13 days of isolation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stewart woodward, 1st case in Bourg hospital today, they haven't said from where she came, it would be helpful to know.

Enjoy your run tomorrow, with no fish and chips and a run every day you'll be fitter than the butcher's dog wink
snow conditions
@chocksaway,

Reports of a case in Meribel.

Not just fish and chips I am missing, we also booked for roast beef night. I could do with losing a few pounds rolling eyes not burning many calories sat on the sofa
ski holidays
Ta. I'll be in York on my own for a week, to make sure I don't go purple before moving in with the folks.
snow report
@chocksaway,

Glad you got back home ok. Will miss F & C Fridays. After all the snow, its been wall to wall sunshine every day this week. The spring skiing would have been awesome. Hopefully see you next season. Say Hi to Mr T.
latest report
@stewart woodward,

If you're worried about weight issues perhaps I should stop making you cakes???
latest report
Mrs W wrote:
@stewart woodward,

Very Happy Very Happy

That's what I call true self isolation, a Mr and Mrs chatting via snowheads. As bad as teenagers on Instasnapbook.
snow report
Oooo . . . CAKE Smile

Younger Daught made me a Vegan choccy creation at the weekend (am not vegan - she is - but I am a choccy addict) - have to say it was pretty good Smile (but NOT good for the waist line Sad )

SO sad looking at the webcams - STUNNING weather and pistes and not a soul around. Really feel for all the businesses . . .

Capt S.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I'm also in York Very Happy
My daughters school is being closed as of Friday so I've driven down this afternoon ready to load her and her belongings into the car.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Mrs W wrote:
@stewart woodward,

Very Happy Very Happy

That's what I call true self isolation, a Mr and Mrs chatting via snowheads. As bad as teenagers on Instasnapbook.

LOL, reminds me of home, we have 2 living rooms and mrs endo stops in one and me in the other and we communicate electronically, have done for years. We work together so need our time apart of an evening! We are perfectly set up for social distancing.

Didn't even get to ski in Tignes this year, just one run down Solaise and one down Face on Saturday after taking mrs endo to Madeleine. Then it was shut....
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@stewart woodward, 1st case in Bourg hospital today, they haven't said from where she came, it would be helpful to know

Not surprising. The influx last Wednesday and Thursday of people from other closed or closing ski resorts in Italy and Austria was worrying.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

Now in a hotel on Dover seafront, it was a relief to only have to do the 1/2 mile from the port after 628 on the French side. Cullens Yard do really nice seafood!

Its been a long day, off to bed with a book.

Chocks, I always associate your reports with the run of the season, and you're usually one of the last ones to post at the very end of the season, a time I enjoy the most on Snowheads

So let this one be no different - thanks for your honest and useful updates throughout the season and looking forward to seeing you back in better times
latest report
Mrs W wrote:
@stewart woodward,

You know cakes are one of the 5 a day essential foods Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy