Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2019/20 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Well. Due to fly to Geneva tomorrow at 9am. ****.

Talking to our group, texting Snowchateux at the moment. This is going to be a **** night and probably won't end in going skiing tomorrow...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scam, you need to give it up. Mrs SL was due to fly to Geneva for Tignes at 8:05 in the morning, she is busy trying to move to booking to some random future date to get some value out of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes website has just been updated. Google translate version:

Quote:
In accordance with the latest directives announced this Saturday March 14 by Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, the Tignes resort is forced to close its ski area as well as its bars, restaurants and night establishments from midnight. We are sincerely sorry for the holidaymakers who chose our destination and hope that they will continue to trust us. Take care of yourself and your loved ones, all of whom are mobilized and responsible for the health situation we face today.

Rental shops will open tomorrow for equipment to be returned. Le Lagon, Tignespace, cinema will be closed. If you want to ski tour it is at your own risk (which I take to mean no avalanche protection, but also presumably no ski patrol if you did get into trouble).

https://www.tignes.net/informations-covid-19
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that's that then. But I can't see that on the linked age lol. Still the old message>?

On the phone to Swiss now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Four weeks until we should be there. Vain hope that restrictions will be lifted by then.

Gutted. Thoughts with all the businesses and staff who will suffer more than those of us just looking for a week of leisure and who can probably make insurance claims.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sadly it's over. I may have had too much to drink, it was a bit like New Years Eve crossed with Armageddon tonight. The Gendarmes were out with jackboots on closing places. Luckily I am financially secure. Many others I chatted tonight are facing ruin, some after many years of graft. Others have had gap years curtailed.

It's emotional out here, if you have lost a holiday I do feel for you, others have lost much, much more.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, Really sad to hear, I think once the dominoes started falling it was inevitable....but in amongst the solidarity and the feeling that "something needs to be done" there is a huge sense of simmering anger and foreboding. Nobody wants to see bodies on the street but if this turns out to be just a bad cold there will be a reckoning. They are messing with people's lives in a much bigger way than the stupid virus is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh it’s most certainly more than a bad cold, and not to be underestimated.
This situation is serious and unprecedented. Thousands more people will die, and they will not all be old and have other health conditions.

I will get my money back I’m sure, and I’ll (hopefully) go skiing next year, but many livelihoods have been destroyed and a lot of businesses will go under because of this. These are uncertain and anxious times.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HoneyBunny wrote:
Oh it’s most certainly more than a bad cold, and not to be underestimated.
This situation is serious and unprecedented. Thousands more people will die, and they will not all be old and have other health conditions.

You say that but I see precious little evidence. They don't even say who's ill and dying. Where are they? I don't know anyone and it's corona central here.
In fact as far as I can tell there is one person on this whole forum with a slight fever. I don't know if I want to be right or wrong. It's messing with my head.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bodeswell,
Quote:

I see precious little evidence. They don't even say who's ill and dying

Try switching on your f'ing TV, or something. Your head certainly seems messed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, charming, as always. What am I going to see on TV? Care to elaborate? Have you seen any names... Name one person?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bodeswell, are you being serious? Obviously I can't name anyone in the horrific scenes I have watched inside and outside Italian hospitals, but those scenes (just for starters) speak for themselves.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bodeswell,

Wow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, @HoneyBunny, It's not that you personally can't name anyone! There aren't any names...anywhere. I shouldn't post at these hours really. I'm just really curious why we don't hear anything from those who have lost their loved ones? There is literally nothing...just a black hole. In what other crisis have we not had any information on those affected. ..Terrorism, 9/11, London Bridge? This is highly unusual. They are shutting down whole countries because of this, we deserve to know more.

I'm sorry it upsets you but that's where we are just now, wow or not.
snow conditions
@Bodeswell, look at what’s happening in Hospitals in Italy, where they acted too late. Look at the numbers growing in other European countries - and those numbers are massively understated due to the lack of testing. Do you really think governments are taking these drastic measures without evidence?
ski holidays
This 'discussion' is beyond surreal.
latest report
@BobinCH, I know, I agree, I’m just angry and not thinking straight. I don’t know what’s going on, I’m not even sure the Govt does. At the end of the day if it blows over and we’ve just lost a few skiing days that will be a result. Even a business can be rebuilt, lives not so easily.
latest report
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1239012203266793477?s=21

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51892402
snow report
@Bodeswell, your view doesn't 'upset' me, it just astounds me, like homeopaths and flat-earthers.

@Hurtle, agreed Confused
ski holidays
This is devastation for many small businesses. The shops are all full of stock and cannot open to sell it. They will still have to pay their massive rent and rates though.

I’ve lost the rest of the season but that’s a small cost compared to the small businesses.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Sadly it's over. I may have had too much to drink, it was a bit like New Years Eve crossed with Armageddon tonight. The Gendarmes were out with jackboots on closing places. Luckily I am financially secure. Many others I chatted tonight are facing ruin, some after many years of graft. Others have had gap years curtailed.

It's emotional out here, if you have lost a holiday I do feel for you, others have lost much, much more.

Dreadful news for all of those small businesses out there (quite apart from any possible health implications) many of which will go out of business. Such a shame for those involved.

Hope you manage to get home ok as and when you travel.
snow report
Been down to Bourg this morning for a planned supermarket shop. Super U much busier than usual.

The traffic leaving is like a half term Saturday.

Is all a bit surreal
ski holidays
No uplift open now and ski shops only open for return of hired equipment .

Local bars closed at midnight last night.

It was "Spritz Saturday " in the QDC and we (@Chocksaway) and others did our best to help destock the bar. Now "Not so spritely Sunday".

Quite a few "skinners" heading up Palafour and Chaudanne. At least one hotel is looking to shift some of its food stock.
snow report
@Bodeswell, it's not about the number of people who have already been infected, it's about how quickly those numbers are growing. If you look at the pattern of confirmed cases per day, it's roughly doubling every two days. If it continues at that rate we'll see 100,000 cases/day within weeks. We need to change something before that happens. The sooner we act, the fewer people will be infected.
latest report
I see that the Tignes website is now saying that ski touring is forbidden.
snow report
larkim wrote:
Four weeks until we should be there. Vain hope that restrictions will be lifted by then.

I'm sorry to say the chance of skiing in France in four weeks is nil. Even if restrictions were lifted by then, there wouldn't be enough time to reopen the resorts for the sake of a couple of off-peak weeks. All the staff are being sent home, and reservations cancelled. Thoughts are with anyone whose livelihood is affected.
latest report
Ski lots wrote:
I see that the Tignes website is now saying that ski touring is forbidden.

How can they forbid exercising? That is strange. Obviously asking from a very ignorant position but does that mean that when UK goes into lockdown, we can’t go jogging?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the reason is that if you injure yourself up in the mountains them you put unnecessary strain on the already stretched resources. So it is either discouraged or outright banned
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
I think the reason is that if you injure yourself up in the mountains them you put unnecessary strain on the already stretched resources. So it is either discouraged or outright banned

Ok. Fair enough. That does make sense. Thanks
latest report
PlanetSki report that there is currenly a 17-mile standing traffic queue leaving Bourg St Maurice heading towards Moutiers on Route Nationale N90.

They expect it to get longer and soon...
latest report
Mike S wrote:
PlanetSki report that there is currenly a 17-mile standing traffic queue leaving Bourg St Maurice heading towards Moutiers on Route Nationale N90.

Google agrees:

All blue in the other direction with an estimated journey time of 27 minutes. I hope everyone makes their flights.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-03-20 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just done the journey down from Val d’Isère via some back roads from Landry to Aime area thanks to Waze. Took about 2 hours to get from Val to Moutiers including filling up in bourg. All clear on the way up to chambery now. Tunnel first thing tomorrow and hotel sorted in Calais.
latest report
@endoman,
Quote:

hotel sorted in Calais

? I thought hotels were supposed to be shut.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@endoman,
Quote:

hotel sorted in Calais

Don’t expect the bar or restaurant to be open. Car has enough
snow report
endoman wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@endoman,
Quote:

hotel sorted in Calais

Don’t expect the bar or restaurant to be open. Car has enough food and booze in it to last us a week.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, For those who are financially secure it may be a chance to buy new equipment on the very cheap - a potential ' fire sale' situation ( though I guess deals would have to be done behind closed doors). And it could be an opportunity for anyone looking to buy a business in the Alps. Not making light of the situation, just pointing out the reality. Sad
latest report
@Kenzie, Well as I can't go touring now I suppose I'd better dig my trainers out and go running. But might have to look to see if any back doors are open. Vallon Blanc is closing down this season I believe, their stock will have to go somewhere.

Well surreal is the word of the day. As George said it was a big night last night, so just had a couple of walks round the village. Some places seem to be stretching the rules, people sat outside places eating and some big parties outside hotels. There was also a large queue for the elections. Yves was also in his 'Taxi Bar' with a friend, waiting for a fare with beers in hand Very Happy Very Happy . So some of the desired effect not yet happening.

Anyway as is the tradition here's the weather - after a windy and cold night it will be sunny in the morning.
latest report
I wonder what the hit will be on shops that sold kit to seasonnaires on credit, and bars who sold them booze on ' the tab'.
latest report
@Kenzie, because the announcement was made quite late in the evening lots of seasonnaires won't have had the chance to "rinse" their loyalty cards at the Loop Bar.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy