Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria...

Poster: A snowHead
@NickyJ, yes, two adults, two 10yo.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@medlington, Bansko it is then!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marodo2712 wrote:
@NickyJ, yes, two adults, two 10yo.

Sent a PM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marodo2712 wrote:
@Whitegold, I'd love to go to Italy (and Andorra), but I've got to keep it under £2k all in, hence my curiosity about Bulgaria.

You can easily do Italy or Andorra for 2k.

Sauze, Livigno, Airbnb, etc.

Bansko is tiny and flat.

It has <50km of trails.

I ride that in a day.

Bulgaria is good for a weekend.

Sucks for a week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:
@Whitegold, I'd love to go to Italy (and Andorra), but I've got to keep it under £2k all in, hence my curiosity about Bulgaria.

You can easily do Italy or Andorra for 2k.

Sauze, Livigno, Airbnb, etc.

Bansko is tiny and flat.

It has <50km of trails.

I ride that in a day.

Bulgaria is good for a weekend.

Sucks for a week.

2x kids on their first trip.
They wont be riding it in a day
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't see us doing flight, transfer, hotel/chalet, board, pass, equipment, and ski school for four in Sauze for £2k.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've had three family ski holidays to Borovets, starting when the kids were 7 and 4. All were good. I'm going back this winter for a family trip and later a boys trip. You can't beat the price and the mountain is fine is the snow is OK.

I think in terms of the reputation of the place you probably find what you are expecting/looking for. If you're strolling round with your kids at 7pm you pet the huskies, play in the snow and then back to the lobby for a hot chocolate etc etc - like anywhere else really.

No doubt if you're falling out of a bar at 2am you might come across a hooker or gangster or two - but I wouldn't know!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Borovets is fine, as above.

I'm going again in January, we've booked a cute little 3-bedroom chalet (sleeps eight) with its own sauna for £900 for the week. Return flights were £123 including hold luggage.

I've been twice before. Snow was fine, food was cheap and pretty good. No queues in mid-January. Empty pistes at the top of the gondola, beautiful views.

Second trip was less fun as my coat and phone got stolen and someone also tried (and failed) to steal my hire skis, so you have to be careful.

But overall you get a cheap, decent ski holiday - and there are plenty of families with young children around.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could look at Jasna in the Czech Republic. They have invested heavily in their lifts and snowmaking in recent years. Skied their with the SCGB a few years back and definitely worth it. I would also think about Zakopane in Poland. Never skied their though did do a summer visit about 14 years ago (right before the 1937 cable car up Kasprowy Wierch got replaced with a brand new Swiss one, by far the scariest lift ride I have ever taken), and it certainly has a lot of non skiing activities to offer. Both are cheaper than more traditional "cheap" options are in western europe. There are other smaller resorts in both Poland and the Czech Republic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chequershorn wrote:
No doubt if you're falling out of a bar at 2am you might come across a hooker or gangster or two

Done that alot but never seen either (without looking for them that is)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like others have said, Bansko if fine for a long weekend. Apres is good and cheap. I have been about 10 times now. Never seen any Mafia or underworld people, but apparently it is there. We keep ourselves to ourselves and enjoy a nice beer and great food in the evening.
It would be fine for beginners but do get private lessons and avoid holiday peak period as gondola queue can be bad. We go mid March at get to the main gondola about 9:30. Normally there is up to 30 min wait, but in peak holidays it can be 2 hours plus.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Borovets back when Dark Lord Cuddles was a toddler. His Mum got us a catered week for about £130 each.

The currency was in freefall and those who changed all their money at the start of the week got 1/2 what they'd have got at the end of the week (literally!).
On the tourist street, prices would be changing constantly to keep up with exchange rates. I'm not talking daily changes: 3 or 4 times a day, word would go down through the market what the rate had got to and they'd all update their prices. The 'punters' thought it was cheap though because a bottle of beer was always less than a quid.

The hotel food was utterly dire so on the last night we ate out with a couple of friends, in a little local bar, away from the tourist track. Nobody in there spoke any English but Dark Lord Cuddles' Mum had Russian and a little Czech so managed to bridge the gap.
Dinner for 4, including drinks = 80p
Them were the days Wink

I've not been back though Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marodo2712 wrote:
I can't see us doing flight, transfer, hotel/chalet, board, pass, equipment, and ski school for four in Sauze for £2k.

If you go first or second week in Jan after New Year I reckon you could do it for around 2.4k ....... but you would have to book at the death and accept the consequences of such.

The extra hundred quid each would be worth it ...... you don't need to be told this but cost and value aren't the same thing.

The s/c Olympic Village apartments below Sestriere throw up some good deals, I've seen them at less than three hundred basic deal, and it's only a gondola ride over the hill to Sauze. Supermarket in the basement isn't too pricey ....... food isn't a complete rip off, 660ml bottled beers less than a quid, big bottles of wine pennies .......

If you're stuck on Bulgaria, Pamporovo is a distant second ........ but better than not going if you're on a strict budget and 2k should more than cover it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just seen this news story:

Quote:

Bansko in Bulgaria is Europe's cheapest destination for family skiing.

Research has found the typical cost for equipment hire, lift passes and lessons for six days is 1-thousand-250 pounds for two adults and two children.

The four next cheapest resorts are all in Italy.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did Borovets in 09 after the credit crunch hit us hard.

Cheap holiday so we went on the assumption that it was what it was but at least we were skiing. We had a great time and the skiing was OK for us as our son was 5 at the time so no real need for huge resort miles.

We didn't need lessons or adults gear and everything else was fairly cheap.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Just seen this news story:

Quote:

Bansko in Bulgaria is Europe's cheapest destination for family skiing.

Research has found the typical cost for equipment hire, lift passes and lessons for six days is 1-thousand-250 pounds for two adults and two children.

The four next cheapest resorts are all in Italy.

Yeah with no hits in Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia I have to question how well that was put together. That is traditionally Bulgaria is a destination known for cheap skiing and the main operators have packages for it. Does not make it actually the cheapest and if your "research" is looking through the main operators brochures you will come up with erroneous results.
snow report
I wouldn’t go Bulgaria if it was free racist t—ts
snow report
@charlie26, it is ...

It’s cheap with awful food and dreadful people trying to f@ck you over at every opportunity.

I went to Borovets ... awful place .. Wild West of skiing in my view .. then there is the queue for main lift
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:

If you go first or second week in Jan after New Year I reckon you could do it for around 2.4k ....... but you would have to book at the death and accept the consequences of such.

The extra hundred quid each would be worth it ...... you don't need to be told this but cost and value aren't the same thing.

The s/c Olympic Village apartments below Sestriere throw up some good deals, I've seen them at less than three hundred basic deal, and it's only a gondola ride over the hill to Sauze. Supermarket in the basement isn't too pricey ....... food isn't a complete rip off, 660ml bottled beers less than a quid, big bottles of wine pennies .......

If you're stuck on Bulgaria, Pamporovo is a distant second ........ but better than not going if you're on a strict budget and 2k should more than cover it.

The last TO trip I did was to Sauze at Easter 2013 I think. We went into town to get junior a Hobbit book and came back with a skiing holiday (as you do). Last minute and £1600 for 4 without lift passes or ski school.
snow report
musher wrote:
The last TO trip I did was to Sauze at Easter 2013 I think. We went into town to get junior a Hobbit book and came back with a skiing holiday (as you do). Last minute and £1600 for 4 without lift passes or ski school.

What do you expect at Easter .......? OP is talking January ...... apples and pears.

I paid £312 to stay at the Olympic Village in January ...... it would have been £294 if not for the inaction of the guy I went with (making decisions was not his forte ....). I have all my own gear etc so paid a shade over five hundred all in but minus carriage, hire & lessons etc if needed would have pushed that to just over six ......

Generally ........ for what you get Italy is hard to beat.
ski holidays
@musher, One think I have learned when taking tour operator holidays is never mention how much you paid for it while actually there. Everyone appears to pay a different price and the differences are often staggering. My brother was once returning to Geneva from Tignes on the transfer coach after a chalet holiday. The rest of the people on the bus had paid over twice as much as our party had.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@musher, One think I have learned when taking tour operator holidays is never mention how much you paid for it while actually there. Everyone appears to pay a different price and the differences are often staggering. My brother was once returning to Geneva from Tignes on the transfer coach after a chalet holiday. The rest of the people on the bus had paid over twice as much as our party had.

Good advice - although it didn’t worry me that some of the people there had paid less coming last minute, booking early allowed me to chose the room that suited my needs.

I had to stop myself saying something when on one holiday a last minute booker was complaining that theirs and their children’s rooms were on different floors! Hold on that i why i pay the “full” price to get that choice!
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tom Doc wrote:
marodo2712 wrote:
I heard of a prediction of a mega winter

Yep, I predict a mega winter. Toofy Grin

(Please note: I have been accused of being over optimistic in the past, and have no training whatsoever in weather forecasting)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy