Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bormio-Stelvio pass

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, has anyone been to Stelvio during the summer? I'm planning to go this weekend and I understand the Bormio-Stelvio pass is only open for a few hours in the morning and then again at 6pm. I'm driving from Lake Garda though so I'm not sure if I need to go through the pass?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure an old-fashioned phone call to the Tourist Office in Bormio would get your answer! +39 0342 903300, although it says they don't open until 3pm uk time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@caughtanedge, I can’t make calls abroad. I’ve emailed the tourist office in my bad italian but I’d like to get some info here if anyone knows the answer so I don’t misinterpret anything. It was the tourist office that told me the pass was closed outside of certain hours but looking at it on google maps it appears to be the other side

I’ll be driving three hours to get there, very early in the morning, so I don’t want to take any chances
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.alpenpaesse.de/alpenpaesse/stilfser-joch-passo-dello-stelvio I know this is in German. It says that due to stone fall the road on the Bormio side is closed to the Umbrail pass except between 06:30 - 08:00 & 18:00 - 19:30. The road on the Südtirol side is open. I would guess that would be the best option from Lake Garda anyway?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, thanks that makes sense. Just got a response from the tourist office saying the road from Merano is open 24 hours so I think that’s me okay
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@moseyp, its a long trip for a small amount of skiing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is not just the three hours driving, but driving mountain roads, and one of the most challenging alpine passes. It will feel something like 6 hours on normal roads.
Mark my words, you will not be up for skiing after that. At 3000 meter, coming from just 200 m....
Poor plan imo
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, friend was there a few days ago and said conditions are great. I’m apprehensive but hopeful!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, It's downhill skiing, not running a marathon. rolling eyes Have fun @moseyp, sounds like a little adventure, let us know how you get on!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks @leggyblonde Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@leggyblonde, I happen to to know these roads, and I know summerskiing...
And I know the many, many other attractions in the area...
Not a wise plan
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug, driving your car up stelvio is hardly challenging, unless you happen to have a bunch of car sick prone kids in the back... then this definitely not recommended! As far as the skiing is concerned, I guess it will be limited, but it snowed a week ago so might not be as bad as it usually is this time of year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, I hope so, a friend was there last week during and after the snow and said conditions are great. Getting a bit bored down here so will probably go in the morning
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a brilliant day Saturday in Stelvio - snow held up really well until I left at about 3pm and still wasn't the afternoon slush I'd expected. Thought I'd miss the race club queues by arriving at 9am but had to queue an hour to get a lift ticket, but then there was no queues on the slopes because they were all training in their own allenamento areas. Didn't see anyone there that wasn't a kid or coach, bar a few ski tourers. When the clubs finished late morning I was the only person on the mountain which was pretty cool. Expensive lift ticket at €47 but worth it for my first ski in 18 months after injury last year

Stelvio pass was beautiful, stopped to take quite a lot of photos along the way. Very impressed with those cyclists. Funny how Tirolean the area is, drove past a family in trachten (mother in silky cream dirndl, grandmother in green wool dirndl and teenager in lederhosen), had wienerschnitzel for lunch. Took a look at the Skulpturen park on the way back http://www.trafoi.net/Trafoi/Lorenz_Kuntner.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, nice one!
ski holidays
@moseyp, that's why it's called the Südtirol!
latest report
@moseyp, Sounds good! Great that you made the time to report back on the trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy