Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski close to Geneva in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, we will be flying into Geneva on 14th March for 7 nights and would appreciate your help!
We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children aged 1, 5 and 6 and are currently booked into Residence Alexane in Samoens but have concerns about having to use the gondola each day rather than having direct lift access - as it may be tiring for the children (and our ears
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don’t think my whole post was published
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no - looks as if it wasn't. Samoens is low - and in mid March there may not be - will probably not be - snow on the ground in the village. So to get up to the skiing yes, you do have to use a gondola. Shouldn't be a problem though and a gondola, unlike a chair, won't be cold! It's a nice village.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We would like to stick with one of the MGM Résidences so would appreciate thoughts on snow conditions in March and baby Creche facilities between Les Saisies, Chamonix Mont Blanc, Les Houches, Chinaillon and Samoens.
Or if you think we should ditch the MGM chain for a better resort please say!
I’m a little nervous about leaving my 1.5 year old in a ski Creche - the older two will do ski school and then ski with us in the afternoon.
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For ease of lift access, snow conditions and family holidays Les Saisies is - by a long way - the best bet of those resorts. However, though I know Les Saisies well, I've not come across a "ski creche" for an 18 month old. But your post says you have booked in Samoens?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can your older children already ski a bit? If that will be their first week they're unable to have the skills - or the stamina - to ski with you n the afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alicc, why so you want to stay MGM?

I’m not a parent but many friends have put kids into creches. No issues.

14 March should have food snow anywhere, although perhaps not at 1,000m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes we have but we can change esp as the MGM chain have a new hotel opening in Les Saisies.
So even though the altitude is lower, the snow is better than Samoens?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Saisies village at 1650 is higher altitude than Samoens village. But maybe that MGM residence is not in Samoens village?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@alicc, why so you want to stay MGM?

I’m not a parent but many friends have put kids into creches. No issues.

14 March should have food snow anywhere, although perhaps not at 1,000m.

To be honest I just can’t be bothered to hunt for anything new and they have lovely accommodation across the board!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Which hotel in Saisies?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Les Saisies village at 1650 is higher altitude than Samoens village. But maybe that MGM residence is not in Samoens village?

From their website - The Amaya residence has direct access to the Les Carrets piste so you can explore the Espace Diamant’s 192km of pistes

I just went by the altitude of each village on google so I could be wrong!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samoens village is 700 metres above sea level - Les Saisies 1650!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe there is a project to make it possible to ski from the Carrets piste down under the road in a tunnel, to the centre of Les Saisies, to link up with the main lifts, ski school meeting etc, and a new 6 man chair to replace the old 4 man chair from the bottom of Les Carrets. I am out of touch as I was not in Les Saisies last winter. Once that scheme has been realised, the Amaya will be a very good location. But if you can only get to the bottom of the Carrets piste then go up to the top of the Legette on the 4 man chair that will NOT give beginners access to the village. I will try to find out. The fact that the advert for the Amaya does not mention a new lift and super access to the "front de neige" makes me suspicious. It does accurately say it's a 15 minute walk to the centre - but not that it's an uphill walk - not feasible for a family with kids carrying skis. There's a bus, but who wants to wait for a bus? There are much better located residences in Saisies.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
I believe there is a project to make it possible to ski from the Carrets piste down under the road in a tunnel, to the centre of Les Saisies, to link up with the main lifts, ski school meeting etc, and a new 6 man chair to replace the old 4 man chair from the bottom of Les Carrets. I am out of touch as I was not in Les Saisies last winter. Once that scheme has been realised, the Amaya will be a very good location. But if you can only get to the bottom of the Carrets piste then go up to the top of the Legette on the 4 man chair that will NOT give beginners access to the village. I will try to find out. The fact that the advert for the Amaya does not mention a new lift and super access to the "front de neige" makes me suspicious. It does accurately say it's a 15 minute walk to the centre - but not that it's an uphill walk - not feasible for a family with kids carrying skis. There's a bus, but who wants to wait for a bus? There are much better located residences in Saisies.

Thank you so much! I will then look at other options once I know if there is a Creche for my youngest. I really appreciate your help!
latest report
I have found this report - sounds like a pretty ambitious timetable for construction.... but if they get it built in time for the opening of the season it will make a big difference. https://www.lessaisies.com/projet-carrets.html
snow report
Are you thinking of leaving the toddler in the creche all day? I doubt whether there's anything suitable in Saisies, though there are private nannies who could be reached through the Tourist Office and could come to your apartment.
snow report
There are MGM places in Les Carroz in the centre of town - https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/fp_FSL_self-catering-carroz-araches - and one next to the magic carpet that you take up to telecabine - https://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/winter/residences/les-chalets-de-jouvence-7 - . Ski school meet and greet it as the base telecabine, so the instructors handle that element! There is a village creche https://winter.lescarroz.com/families-ski-holiday/day-care/day-nursery.html .
latest report
Cheesie168 wrote:
There are MGM places in Les Carroz in the centre of town - https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/fp_FSL_self-catering-carroz-araches - and one next to the magic carpet that you take up to telecabine - https://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/winter/residences/les-chalets-de-jouvence-7 - . Ski school meet and greet it as the base telecabine, so the instructors handle that element! There is a village creche https://winter.lescarroz.com/families-ski-holiday/day-care/day-nursery.html .

Thank you! Would you recommend skiing there in March? Is the snow still good?
ski holidays
I have checked the maps and the nursery is further away from the slopes. Would anybody recommend Morillon in March? They have a Creche right on the slopes which would mean that we wouldn’t be so far from the baby.
ski holidays
@alicc, The MGM in Samoens would require bus or car to even get to the cabins. It's nowhere near any lifts.

Wouldn't be my choice if I had young'uns.
snow conditions
@alicc, in principle (and do you mean Haute Morillon, or Morillon in the valley) mid march should be reasonably firm for snow...
ski holidays
@alicc, Have you looked at Chilly Powder in Prodains (disclaimer... I did used to work for them) in Morzine/Avoriaz? They have their own in house creche, nannies and run their own ski school with a skiing nanny who accompanies the instructor. They are great at what they do and can sort passes, transfers, ski school, creche etc all with a personal service before you travel.

https://www.chillypowder.com/

Also Family Ski in Ardent (Again Morzine/Avoriaz) do something similar where they have their own ski school, nannies and ski rangers to accompany the kids. Always looked well run when I have seen them on the slopes and around Ardent/Les Lindertets (Im sure Linderets is where their ski school starts from)

https://familyski.co.uk/chalets/chalets-in-ardent/

Both of these offer easy quick and access to Avoriaz and the snow would be fine in March.
snow report
Family Ski in Ardent do indeed use the ski school in Les Lindarets. It would a good setup for you - but not if you don't want a gondola ride at the beginning and end of each day though. You have to take the gondola from Ardent up to Les Lindarets, and the blue piste home run is not for the faint hearted (or young beginners), especially if the snow is soft and slushy. It's much better to take the gondola down again. Having said that, a ride in the gondola twice a day is no big deal, IMO.
snow conditions
@247snowman wrote:
@alicc, Have you looked at Chilly Powder in Prodains (disclaimer... I did used to work for them) in Morzine/Avoriaz? They have their own in house creche, nannies and run their own ski school with a skiing nanny who accompanies the instructor. They are great at what they do and can sort passes, transfers, ski school, creche etc all with a personal service before you travel.

Also Family Ski in Ardent (Again Morzine/Avoriaz) do something similar where they have their own ski school, nannies and ski rangers to accompany the kids. Always looked well run when I have seen them on the slopes and around Ardent/Les Lindertets (Im sure Linderets is where their ski school starts from)

Both of these offer easy quick and access to Avoriaz and the snow would be fine in March.

I will look at this thank you - I just assumed that it would work out very expensive!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Are you thinking of leaving the toddler in the creche all day? I doubt whether there's anything suitable in Saisies, though there are private nannies who could be reached through the Tourist Office and could come to your apartment.

The Creche seems to be 10mins away by car so it would need to be a nanny. I liked the idea of a Creche so she would have friends to play with and we could be really flexible with when we pick her up.
latest report
Quote:

I have checked the maps and the nursery is further away from the slopes. Would anybody recommend Morillon in March? They have a Creche right on the slopes which would mean that we wouldn’t be so far from the baby.

We've only stayed in Morillon 1100 Les Esserts in March over a period of seven years, always good snow to the village at that level altitude. Main village at base of gondola is less snow sure.

Also used the Creche on the snow there for our daughter when younger "garden de niege " right on the middle of the nursery slopes. If its that one it couldn't be more convenient.

Also our pick of places to stay around the Grand Massif ski domain. Superb for young family and progressing skiers, ours had formative years there, plus introduced other families too.

One of the best lunch cafés there right on the snow, ideal to sit out in the sun and let children play.

I'd say it's ideal logistically to be based there.
ski holidays
alicc wrote:
@247snowman wrote:

I will look at this thank you - I just assumed that it would work out very expensive!

Yeah, Chilly Powder have some apartments very close to their main catered Chalet/Hotel that can be taken self catered but still gives access to the Creche, In house Ski School etc. Thats maybe one way to make it more affordable. They do get lots of returning guests and very good reviews. Mind you, Family Ski seem to do 'it' well also and Ive read some great reviews about them too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am late to this thread but it needs to be clarified that Samoens is not a village that you ski down to at any point in the season whatever the snow conditions. From Samoens one has to take a gondola up to the ski area which starts at 1600 on north facing slopes. Surely the childcare for non skiing children would be in the village itself and you would not require a lift to access it? We usually choose Les Carroz over Samoens for the reason that we like to ski to the door so have stayed in Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz. Having said this Residence Alexane is newly built and would be a lovely place to stay I'd imagine. So I'd be inclined to stick with your booking.

If you have already booked Residence Alexane ie an MGM residence directly you will not be able to change it to a CGH like Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz as I think they are managed by different companies. If you have booked through a tour operator there is more of a chance you might be able to change between different accommodation providers but it isn't guaranteed. You would probably be able to switch to another MGM run residence such as Residence Anitea in Valmorel...which I saw this summer and looks very nice.

I do not know if the new residence in Les Saisies is CGH or MGM. If it is MGM that would be another option. However I would say that the Grand Massif (Les Carroz/Samoens) is usually good for snow mid March so there is really no need to change ski area.
ski holidays
Thank you snowymum. Yes we’re aware that Samoens isn’t ski in/out and now the potential issue is that there might not be a Creche facility as the garderie isn’t taking holiday children anymore. The plus of Alexane is that they run a private transfer to and from the gondola, it’s just the baby facilities that are the issue.
I have looked at Carroz too and like it but feel that with the Creche being further from the Hôtels then there may be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing each morning.
I’m trying to explore other options that may be an easier set up - like Chinaillon which has an MGM Hotel opposite the ski lifts with a Creche just a minutes walk away. I just have concerns about snow conditions!
It will be great when baby is 3 and we don’t have to consider all of this!
ski holidays
@alicc, I have only been to the Grand Massif with older children so am not up to date on child care options there. It is an excellent ski area so would definitely recommend going there once your children are all past childcare stage.

I think in an average year you would be ok snow wise in Chinaillon/Le Grand Bornand mid March. The only thing I noticed when I skied there once was that there weren't that many shops/cafes etc in Chinaillon ...the main village of Le Grand Bornand is a few miles down the road. If you are happy to be in a quiet place it would be fine.

I would also recommend looking at the new MGM in Valmorel that I mentioned above - Residence Anitea. It is in an excellent location at the foot of the slopes and right next to the main street with all the amenities. It is a very child friendly place if you don't mind driving a bit further from Geneva.

It looks as though residence Amaya mentioned by Pam W above is also MGM. Les Saisies would also be a good option in terms of skiing. Also very family orientated. I would check how far the residence is from childcare and ski school.
snow report
snowymum wrote:
@alicc, I have only been to the Grand Massif with older children so am not up to date on child care options there. It is an excellent ski area so would definitely recommend going there once your children are all past childcare stage.

I think in an average year you would be ok snow wise in Chinaillon/Le Grand Bornand mid March. The only thing I noticed when I skied there once was that there weren't that many shops/cafes etc in Chinaillon ...the main village of Le Grand Bornand is a few miles down the road. If you are happy to be in a quiet place it would be fine.

I would also recommend looking at the new MGM in Valmorel that I mentioned above - Residence Anitea. It is in an excellent location at the foot of the slopes and right next to the main street with all the amenities. It is a very child friendly place if you don't mind driving a bit further from Geneva.

It looks as though residence Amaya mentioned by Pam W above is also MGM. Les Saisies would also be a good option in terms of skiing. Also very family orientated. I would check how far the residence is from childcare and ski school.

Thank you for all this info. I had briefly looked at Valmorel and then thought a 2 hour transfer was too long BUT the reviews are great and the location of the hotel and childcare are perfect!

How does it compare to Chinaillon in March? We won’t mind if there aren’t too many cafes.
snow report
@alicc, I think in terms of likely snow cover there would not be much between the two resorts and either would be ok mid march in an average year. I would probably go for Valmorel as the linked ski area is larger (with lgb you need to take a bus to la clusaz) and there is more of a village atmosphere in Valmorel than Chinaillon. Residence Anitea is also newly opened. However I think either resort would be good. Whilst Samoens ski area is not particularly high it does have the advantage of being linked to Flaine which I would say is more snow sure than LGB and Valmorel. However if you are staying in Samoens it would be a trek to Flaine with young kids. Therefore given your childcare issue I think Valmorel or LGB would be better.
ski holidays
Samoens have confirmed that they won’t have a Creche. There is one in Flaine but may have same issue with distance from hotel and slopes.
Much to consider then - May start another post if I really can’t decide!!
Thank you for all you help.
ski holidays
@alicc, is that the halte garderie in Samöens that is no longer taking holiday children? If so, that's a real shame as my daughter was well looked after there.
latest report
@rachelharrisonsmith, both of ours too if that's the one next to the skating rink. Still have a reindeer picture one of them did while there with googly eyes Very Happy
snow report
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
@alicc, is that the halte garderie in Samöens that is no longer taking holiday children? If so, that's a real shame as my daughter was well looked after there.

Yes! The reviews were so good for it too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy