Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madesimo vs Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
I've got our February half term flights booked in to Milan Bergamo, so now trying to find an ideal resort within a reasonable drive; reasonable drive = less than two hours.

My wife is a nervous beginner, we've been to Montgenevre, Madonna di Campiglio and Colfosco due to their nice easy runs. She improves every year but struggled even with the renowned easy blues of Colfosco/Corvara last year (where they had short slightly steeper sections).

Every year when I research I read about Passo Tonale being a great place for beginners, but the fear of it being a bit lacking (in terms of resort) makes me hesitant.

This years research threw up Madesimo, as close to Milan - but there seems to be little information to its suitability for nervous beginners. One report I read said that the return to town at the lift station was particularly steep - so that doesn't sound good.

Anyone able to compare the two directly in the perspective of a beginner? Or at least someone to shed some light on Madesimo as a beginner?

Thanks Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although it was me that suggested Passo Tonale / Pointe do Legno, I would be the first to agree that Passo Tonale doesn't have much (any!) charm as a place to stay. The beginner slopes are excellent though.

However, linked by gondola to Passo Tonale is Ponte di Legno, which is a much nicer town with good restaurants, old buildings etc. The local slopes wouldn't suit beginners but you could just go up the gondola (though that might entail buying a more expensive lift pass). Ponte di Legno is also a shorter drive from Bergamo, almost all on straightforward roads.

Can't comment on Madesimo as I haven't been there - though I'm not sure it's as well suited to blue run skiers.

I have to admit that, to be honest, neither Passo Tonale nor Madesimo sound like the perfect candidates for your requirements. However there aren't a huge number of other, sizeable resorts within 2 hours or so of Bergamo.

Somewhere that hasn't been mentioned yet - what about Folgaria (not Folgarida!)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess your wife will be having lessons? If so, you might be more limited in terms of resorts with good English speaking ski instructors.
My experience of Passo Tonale (now 10 years ago) is that the class sizes were huge and the quality variable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
denfinella wrote:
Although it was me that suggested Passo Tonale / Pointe do Legno, I would be the first to agree that Passo Tonale doesn't have much (any!) charm as a place to stay. The beginner slopes are excellent though.

However, linked by gondola to Passo Tonale is Ponte di Legno, which is a much nicer town with good restaurants, old buildings etc. The local slopes wouldn't suit beginners but you could just go up the gondola (though that might entail buying a more expensive lift pass). Ponte di Legno is also a shorter drive from Bergamo, almost all on straightforward roads.

I did wonder about this, but I think if we go to Passo then it will be to conquer the skiing for her, and we'll live with the lack of charm for the sake of better ski progression; so it makes more sense to stay close to the easy slopes in Passo. Nice to hear that Ponte di legno is prettier - we could pop across one afternoon for a change of scenery (off the skis)

Looking online, I think that the ski pass (Adamello) covers both Passo Tonale and Ponte Di Legno?

Edit - just realised it was your TR that gave the idea of staying in Ponte - maybe I should reconsider as it didn't seem to cause you any problem travelling between the two.

denfinella wrote:
I have to admit that, to be honest, neither Passo Tonale nor Madesimo sound like the perfect candidates for your requirements. However there aren't a huge number of other, sizeable resorts within 2 hours or so of Bergamo.

Somewhere that hasn't been mentioned yet - what about Folgaria (not Folgarida!)?

That's interesting, what makes you think Passo isn't ideal - sounds like the beginner slopes are perfect for nervous learners looking to build some confidence? In the last years I had the requirement of nice resorts, hense Madonna and Colfosco, but I think we're ready to throw that out of the window for the sake of progression.

Not heard of Folgaria...tell me more Smile I see on the piste map that it looks like there are a couple of blues near Costa but the main lift out of Folgaria itself leads to a load of reds?

sugarmoma666 wrote:
I guess your wife will be having lessons? If so, you might be more limited in terms of resorts with good English speaking ski instructors.
My experience of Passo Tonale (now 10 years ago) is that the class sizes were huge and the quality variable

Not for certain, I'd like her too but think she's nervous of having them. I'd try to get her a private lesson if it wasn't extortionate cost. Good to know about the ski instructors, thanks - will make sure to do plenty of research if we do look to have one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Adamello pass definitely covers both Ponte di Legno and Passo Tonale. It was just if your wife is a really nervous beginner then she may be able to buy a cheaper pass (if there is one) which only covers the nursery slopes - but that might not cover Ponte di Legno. If you're buying the full area pass... I'd definitely suggest staying in Ponte di Legno.

The issues with staying in Passo Tonale instead of Ponte di Legno
- ugly resort town (but sounds like you may be prepared to overlook that)
- no trees if it's snowing / foggy, though you could probably take the gondola to Ponte di Legno

Finally, I suspect the ski area as a whole is smaller and less interesting than Madonna or Colfosco, though I haven't been to either of those. That shouldn't affect your wife so much, but you might get a bit bored being there for a whole week. If you'll have a car, you could solve that by spending a dayor two at Aprica (50km of pistes), which would also be fine for your wife. There's a lift pass option which covers both resorts.

Madesimo is even smaller.

Folgaria - I haven't been there, but think it has a reputation for easy slopes. Cheaper lift pass, lots of trees, a proper town compared to Passo Tonale. Ski bus to nearby Lavarone for a day trip. And still a relatively short drive from Bergamo. Just another option to consider! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Taught my cousin's 11-year old daughter to ski at Madesimo this past March.

Excellent beginner area with no through traffic. It's small though.

Easy walk on gondola to get to mid-mountain, then chairs above that.

Plenty of wide, cruisey blues in this area.

Couple of narrow, flat tracks to connect the areas up.

Run back to the village starts off wide and mellow but last section is quite steep and twisty.

Easy to take the gondola down though.

Great on mountain food. Excellent value for money.

Someone mentioned it's small. Pisted yes. Off-piste, a season's worth.

I've been twice in the past 3 seasons. Love the place.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Biblu, If you could stretch out the drive a bit, Livigno ticks all your boxes. It's a decent sized area, it's got character, altitude, stuff to do other than skiing, tonnes of easy slopes close to town, trees for bad weather, and usually much better snow than areas closer to Bergamo (but about the same as Madesimo). I'm a bit biased, but I'd be inclined to take an extra hour and a half in the car to get what I wanted for the whole week. You can do it in under 3 and a half hours, and breaking it up with a nice long lunch in Tirano makes the journey enjoyable. I do it every year from Bergamo and it's fine, though we usually book a private transfer rather than drive ourselves.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I knew starting a topic on here was a bad idea as it makes me want to go to all of them rolling eyes Laughing

Small resort is ok, everywhere we have been so far we've stuck to a handful of runs. So for 5 days we don't need much - the most important aspect is nice wide runs with no surprises and a few of them to get some variety and build confidence.

Mike Pow wrote:

Plenty of wide, cruisey blues in this area.

Run back to the village starts off wide and mellow but last section is quite steep and twisty.

Which area of Madesimo is this exactly? The piste map only shows a gondola down from the 'Larici' side? I also couldn't see a connection between the 'Larici' side and 'Lago Azzurro' (using the map + FATMAP) - so it looked like from the Lago Azzurro side, the only way down was the piste; but this looks like the side with more cruisy blues?

And it looks like to connect between the two 'sides' you have to take lift 11 'Cima Sole', which leads to a red. So the best way between the two sides staying on blues would be back into town, walk up to Lago Azzurra?

Do you remember the piste number that becomes steep and twisty into the village?

element wrote:
If you could stretch out the drive a bit, Livigno ticks all your boxes

I had Livigno on my radar from previous years research, but after 4 hour ish drives the past two years I promised a short drive this year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Biblu wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Plenty of wide, cruisy blues in this area.

Which area of Madesimo is this exactly? The piste map only shows a gondola down from the 'Larici' side? I also couldn't see a connection between the 'Larici' side and 'Lago Azzurro' (using the map + FATMAP) - so it looked like from the Lago Azzurro side, the only way down was the piste; but this looks like the side with more cruisy blues?

And it looks like to connect between the two 'sides' you have to take lift 11 'Cima Sole', which leads to a red. So the best way between the two sides staying on blues would be back into town, walk up to Lago Azzurra?

Do you remember the piste number that becomes steep and twisty into the village?

Two 'ups'.

1. First take the Groppera Funiva (funicular railroad) from Campodolcino to Motta.

Walk a short distance to either double Chair C Palu to access a short blue 38 Palu or quad chair B Motta to access blue runs 33 Serrenissima, 34 Serenissima 2, 35 Motta-Alta Serenissima.

35 Motta-Alta Serenissima also takes you to quad chair H Serenissima which access a number of blue runs in the Lago Azzurro section.

2. E Larici gondola where you can take 10 to 20 to 19 to get to Lago Azzurro section mentioned above.

Home run is 8 Pianello but that takes you to the beginner area above town

Red 7 Montalto is the twisty red which drops you back at the base of the Larici gondola right in the middle of the village.

https://www.skiareavalchiavenna.it/assets/mapxlarge.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
Biblu wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Two 'ups'.

1. First take the Groppera Funiva (funicular railroad) from Campodolcino to Motta.

Walk a short distance to either double Chair C Palu to access a short blue 38 Palu or quad chair B Motta to access blue runs 33 Serrenissima, 34 Serenissima 2, 35 Motta-Alta Serenissima.

35 Motta-Alta Serenissima also takes you to quad chair H Serenissima which access a number of blue runs in the Lago Azzurro section.

2. E Larici gondola where you can take 10 to 20 to 19 to get to Lago Azzurro section mentioned above.

Red 7 Montalto is the twisty red which drops you back at the base of the Larici gondola right in the middle of the village.

Thanks very much Mike Smile

Spent ages trying to translate your directions to my piste map as they were numbered differently before realising you'd also handily popped in a piste map link Embarassed doh!

I think we'd be happy with a walk back up town for the Blue 8 Pianello back into the village as long as it wasnt steep/difficult. Is the blue 24/39 back in to the Motta end of Madesimo an easy run back?

Not that I don't trust you, but, I can't for the life of me see how 10 connects to 19 with 20, on FATMAP Puzzled - does it involve walking/polling up to 19? Or is FATMAP, for however wonderful it is, just deceiving?

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
Adamello pass definitely covers both Ponte di Legno and Passo Tonale

@denfinella, how long does it take to get to Passo on the gondola from Ponte?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd guess around 10 minutes (1 lift, 2 stages). The gondola actually drops you off a little bit below Passo Tonale resort, at the western end of the pass nursery slopes. So the top of the gondola isn't accessible to pedestrians, if that makes sense.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Biblu wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Biblu wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Two 'ups'.

Thanks very much Mike Smile

Spent ages trying to translate your directions to my piste map as they were numbered differently before realising you'd also handily popped in a piste map link Embarassed doh!

I think we'd be happy with a walk back up town for the Blue 8 Pianello back into the village as long as it wasnt steep/difficult. Is the blue 24/39 back in to the Motta end of Madesimo an easy run back?

Not that I don't trust you, but, I can't for the life of me see how 10 connects to 19 with 20, on FATMAP Puzzled - does it involve walking/polling up to 19? Or is FATMAP, for however wonderful it is, just deceiving?

The bottom of the blue 8 Pianello run is uphill of the Larici base station and the main village. So you'd be walking down at the end of the day - depending on where you're staying.

I'm sure there's a treelined connecting blue pisted track from Larici to get over to Lago Azzurro area.

This type of thing

The fifth video is starting at the restaurant between the blue 19 and blue 31

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwtqxIYlDWf/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Biblu, We've had 4 holidays at Madesimo from 2014 - 2017 and I can confirm that the area is quite good for beginners and intermediates. Both my girls learnt to ski there from the age of three and my wife who is a nervous intermediate felt quite comfortable there. There is an excellent green beginners area to the left of the area (looking at mountain) with a dedicated chair lift and is an easy 10 minute walk to the village center. There is also ski rental shop where you can hire lockers and keep your boots and equipment - and i think a good place to start and end from if you are favorably located (we stay at Hotel Andossi about 200 meters away). If you are staying on the other side of the village you can download on the main gondola to avoid the steep last section. Its quite a nice village although a but tired and has good range of restaurants and bars offering good value for money.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I doubt there's a better place for beginners to learn than Passo Tonale.

The slope angles on the main south facing pass seem to go up in increments of 1deg, lol.

Seriously, if you can't learn and progress there I doubt if you could anywhere.

The town itself is ok, without being 'cuckoo clock', the hotels are mostly just off the slopes ....... Italian hospitality with Walser efficiency ....

Group lessons can be on the large size, but private lessons are very reasonable anyway if you can pack a couple in.
ski holidays
I summed the pros and cons of both resorts for my better half and she voted for Madesimo, so we’re all booked to go there - found a great priced Airbnb right by the lift.

In the end I think the fact that she could take the gondola up the mountain and chill out with her kindle in Madesimo swung it. In passo it felt like the days she wanted to rest she’d have limited options.

Thanks for all the recommendations, will try to remember to actually write a TR this year!
snow conditions
Biblu wrote:
I summed the pros and cons of both resorts for my better half and she voted for Madesimo, so we’re all booked to go there - found a great priced Airbnb right by the lift.

In the end I think the fact that she could take the gondola up the mountain and chill out with her kindle in Madesimo swung it. In passo it felt like the days she wanted to rest she’d have limited options.

Thanks for all the recommendations, will try to remember to actually write a TR this year!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Day off down to Lake Como is also very doable.
snow report
Enjoy! Make sure to report back - Madesimo is on my list for the future.
snow conditions
We have found memories of Madesimo. 3rd ski trip (the previous 2 had been to Bulgaria) and our first taste of piste bashed snow! Lovely tree lined skiing and very picturesque mountains. It’s probably changed since we were there in 1995 but we did enjoy it.
snow conditions
About 20km north of Passo, you have Pejo

limited amount of pistes, but beautiful. I found the pistes very quiet, and zero Q's at lifts

You can combine Pejo Skiing with MDC, Passo etc, if you pay a supplement on the standard lift pass price

Its also a spa town, and has very nice baths etc https://www.termepejo.it/

All the areas above are great value for hotels , food etc, with the exception of MDC
snow report
Loved Pejo
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy