Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
Time for a new English skiing thread.
Last season wasn’t the best although there was still some good skiing on the five days we did get at Yad Moss. As ever we are hopeful that this season will be better snowHead

Season tickets are on sale now until the 31st October. Prices have been held again at: £55 for new members, £40 for returners.
Day tickets will normally be available on the hill for £20 (£10 for juniors) unless we anticipate a very busy day, in which case they will be restricted to online sales the night before.

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/join-us/
Read the newsletter at the bottom to find out what has been happening over the summer.

Fingers crossed for more local snow this winter. Please add details about availability of season tickets and any news at the Lake District, Weardale or Allenheads.

This may also be a convenient place for any backcountry English skiing stories this winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yad season ticket bought!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Replying, just to follow this thread over the winter. Hope the snow falls...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit of info from Raise.

If you pay by direct debit it’s £50 for the year https://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/join-the-club.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peter S, do you happen to know if Yad Moss season ticket holders get a ticket at Raise? It's on my bucket list to visit and skin in if conditions are right!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@Peter S, do you happen to know if Yad Moss season ticket holders get a ticket at Raise? It's on my bucket list to visit and skin in if conditions are right!

Does this help?

"FREE EXTRA – on production of a Yad Moss paper Season Ticket email receipt you can also ski at Weardale and Allendale for £10/day, even if a ‘members only’ policy is in force there. Junior season ticket holders pay £5 per day.

We also have a similar arrangement with the Lake District Ski Club. On production of a paper season ticket email receipt, you can ski at Raise for just £10 on weekdays and £15 at weekends. You must however park down in Glenridding. Parking up at the Greenside Lead Mine is strictly limited to LDSC season ticket holders only."
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnHSmith, yes thank you!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wish Weardale would sort out a reciprocal arrangement with Raise... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just adding a link for Allenheads.
They have similar reciprocal arrangements and are a really great spot for first timers and kids. There's also a reasonably good selection of newish and vintage equipment to hire for a fiver a pop!

http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/membership/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So...seemingly every ski area in the world except Weardale has a reciprocal arrangement with Raise...?? rolling eyes

Come on Weardale...sort it out. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The tows go up at Allenheads next Sunday (3rd Nov).
They've put a call out for volunteers so I thought I'd post it here too. It's not back breaking work but it does need the numbers.
I think there were about 15 or so people last year and we had it done in two or three hours.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good stuff Hotdogger. Hope you get a good season.

I’ve always thought Allenheads would be a good place for a snow factory. Sheltered northerly valley at high elevation to trap cold air, short grass, unlimited water supply from the nearby mine, 3 phase power, evening range from Tyneside, nearby pub, easy access..... snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Peter S, all the best to you too. Hopefully bump into you over at Yad Moss this season. I'll be watching the webcams. I didn't manage a single day of English or Scottish skiing last season. Fingers crossed the snow gods will make up for the poor showing of the recent past and give us snow on days I can actually skive off for!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know whether this applies to you or not HotDogger - but owning touring kit is a boon for North of England skiers/boarders wink

Mrs MA and I have had pretty decent days out (including powder on a couple of occasions) at Weardale, Yad Moss and Raise when the tows haven't been running. We've also got some turns in on the North York Moors too.

And we've ski toured in Scotland (on good cover at altitude) as late as 30th June.

Before we got our touring skis, we'd hiked up a couple of times at Yad Moss when the tow was shut. A couple of goes with the skis shouldered is bearable...

The webcams are, of course, invaluable in making a decision to go for it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really would like to get some touring gear; it's on my to do list but bills keep getting in the way of buying yummy new (read - secondhand) kit.
I imagine it must be fun. I'd love to head out with the dog for a day of touring. In my fantasy world I would also have a kite Which I would use in an expert fashion of course to drag me up the hills. wink
I've found powder at Yad too by the way, in fact it was my first experience of the stuff. With it being a relatively short lift it's rather a good spot to spend a day learning how to ski on the stuff!
snow conditions
Second hand touring kit is probably the way to go HotDogger - we did exactly that. Under half-price (about £300) for ex-rental skis, bindings and skins - albeit found in Canada but there are shops in Scotland who do the same occasionally. And there's a load of kit on Ebay of course - which is where Mrs MA and I took a punt/chance on touring boots (on the basis that we could send them back). It worked out really well and we both got new Garmont boots (old season models) for about €200 each. After hiring Scarpa touring boots previously, we have both found that our Garmont boots ski more like normal downhill boots - we both found that the Scarpa boots (two different lots on two different trips) tended to flop backwards a bit, meaning that (until you got used to them) they could have you on your backside if your weight went back...

Alternatively, there are some good (new) bargains here (a German website) for skis, bindings and skins: https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/ski-touring/skis/
ski holidays
I'll believe it when it happens...but Snow-forecast.com is saying there's up to 20cm of snow to come in the next few days for the North Pennines..... Very Happy

Time to get the touring skis out of the spare room.... wink
latest report
Jealous, tempts me to drive up from London ...
snow report
Google weather states it's snowing now - Nothing on the Web Cams for Yad Moss
latest report
Pennines forecast now downgraded to not very much snow at all. Yes, webcams all very green at the moment.

Looks increasingly like the excitement will need to be stood down for the weekend... Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

Pennines forecast now downgraded to not very much snow at all. Yes, webcams all very green at the moment.

Looks increasingly like the excitement will need to be stood down for the weekend...

yup, sad times.
ski holidays
Pennines cams (Weardale and Yad Moss) showing the first snow of winter 2019/20 Very Happy (albeit a very light cover...)

Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow!! Laughing
latest report
Almost enough to run the tow on Raise:
https://twitter.com/ldscwebcam/status/1194238456639238145?s=20
latest report
Quote:

Very tops of Cross Fell and that's it. Nothing wrong with a good cold dry airmass though - pulls the water out the bog - much better for setting up the first snow falls.
latest report
Ever the optimist OAP!! That's the spirit Very Happy See you up there (or Glencoe etc) when it does finally snow wink
ski holidays
Made my usual round of pass purchases - Glencoe, Yad and Weardale - fully prepared for all eventualities. If things get really desperate then I might even go abroad.
snow conditions
Snow possible (off and on, with a mix of warm temperatures and rain thrown in) in the North Pennines and Lake District over the rest of the week.

So it's time for snow dances and crossing everything wink - you just never know....
latest report
A light covering on the webcam pics. Chance of a decent snowfall on Saturday. Is Sunday a possibility for the Yad moss tow? Do any Yad moss aficionados have a view? Desperate for a slide!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@barbossine, hi there, we are monitoring the situation. I think we may get enough by Sunday to run the tow. The direction tomorrow will be straight up the slope but should be wet enough to stick Laughing We'll have an idea by tomorrow evening.
snow conditions
@Peter S, Excellent. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
We’re going to give it a shot but expect marginal conditions snowHead

http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/
snow report
Weardale open tomorrow too (from 10.00am) Very Happy

- Members only.
- Due to marginal conditions will close at 1.00pm.
- Road is very icy, so winter tyres as a minimum (or chains).
- Challenging conditions - ground soft, snow thin & will deteriorate fast.
latest report
You lads are seriously keen wink
snow conditions
Allenheads possible tomorrow too. Updating in the morning. Happy days!
latest report
Indeed We are GeorgeVII (and lasses too!) Laughing. We just have to make the most as we never know when the tows may run next!

Reports (& pics wink ) to follow wink
snow report
Quote:
Due to marginal conditions will close at 1.00pm....Challenging conditions - ground soft, snow thin & will deteriorate fast

Weardale's official report from yesterday undoubtedly put everybody off - with a maximum of 10 members making the effort. Lovely snow (about 10cm of fresh overnight) and pretty decent skiing today, with fresh tracks to be had Very Happy. It stayed cold and the snow didn't deteriorate at all - a lovely day out.

ski holidays
Both Yad and Weardale looked reasonable. Bit frustrating to be stuck away from the fells today.
latest report
Excellent unexpected bluebird day at Yad today; unexpectedly good cover too, no burn jumping required, only a few sneaky tussocks hiding to grab your tips and face plant you (though a few good plants were indeed enjoyed by many). Pretty blustery, which literally hindered downwards progress, but far from cold. Even able to ski all the way back to the car (just).
Highly enjoyable day; may there be many more this season. Very Happy
snow report
Looks great! Thanks for the reports and photos.
snow report
Yeah good day. Had two out of the three key ingredients. Good snow and sunshine. Shame about the wind. Nice to get a good day in on home snow before Christmas. Cool Planning to run again on Wednesday if possible. More snow forecast tonight on a SSW wind.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy