Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Somewhere small and quiet for New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, after from my thread about Willingen, I'm still musing about new year possibilities.

What I'm looking for;
* Somewhere where the pistes will be quiet - I don't mind some lift queues, if that means that the pistes are quieter cos there's not so much uplift.
* Good snowmaking for at least a few blue pistes (and they should be accessible without skiing a red/black).
* Nice blues - We both prefer to ski blues.
* Some easy confidence building reds - Technically I can ski reds (or so instructors tell me), but I really need to convince myself of this, so could do with some easier ones to practice on.
* Cheapish - won't be my main ski holiday.
* Accessible without a car, preferably train/bus combos, but could also do plane and transfer.
* Small area? - we're happy circling pistes we like, think of this as looking for fridge+

So suggestions...
Happy to go off the beaten track / outside the alps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to ski the New Year week it's often cheaper and easier to just buy a package holiday from one of the big TOs and not worry about your own transport. Obertauern would fit your needs pretty well. I went there for my 3rd ever week of skiing and enjoyed it so much I went back again the next year. Lots of blues that are readily accessible from the village and plenty straight-forward reds to progress on to.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New Year is about the most expensive in the year, despite often being dodgy for snow. And busy. As a resort Les Saisies fits your skiing needs very well, but it's rammed at New Year. Like everywhere around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry-which continent?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ste Foy, La Norma, Grimentz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Sorry-which continent?

Europe please!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
New Year is about the most expensive in the year, despite often being dodgy for snow. And busy. As a resort Les Saisies fits your skiing needs very well, but it's rammed at New Year. Like everywhere around.

Thanks Pam, I've had Les Saisies on my wish list for a while, but if it's rammed at new year, I'll leave that til another trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I doubt if it's any more rammed than any other resort - just not a good time to go! Can you not go any other time, when you can just ski straight onto a lift without any waiting at all?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
I doubt if it's any more rammed than any other resort - just not a good time to go! Can you not go any other time, when you can just ski straight onto a lift without any waiting at all?

I have upto a week with nothing to do over new year - work is closed for most of the week, I'll have seen all the family over Christmas and so I thought I could fill the week with something fun and active, but really don't fancy packed pistes. On the other hand if I only need something small, a few pistes and a bit of snowmaking to keep me happy, then I thought there might still be options.

I'll plan some a proper trip with friends and perhaps join a course again later in the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

On the other hand if I only need something small, a few pistes and a bit of snowmaking

small doesn't necessarily help - some of the massive reports (e.g. Espace Killy) have such effective lift systems that with some local advice/knowledge you can find a quiet corner.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One thing you might consider is getting the overnight sleeper from Düsseldorf to Innsbruck. Innsbruck has lots of resorts nearby, some are really quite small and only attract locals such as Schlick and Hochoetz. There are plenty of other small places its not all big places like St Anton or the Zillertal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rcav, I've skied several New Year weeks in Austria and while it is a busy week it's not ridiculously busy. If it's a choice between skiing or being bored at home then skiing wins every time. Most resorts have a few bottlenecks with big queues, with the main uplift out of the village often the worse. If get up early and beat the rush then you'll soon find that perfect blue piste you can lap to your heart's content with only modest queues. I still think Obertauern would suit you and I'd add Obergurgl to the list as well. I think you'd have a good time in a load of different places, so you could just leave it until you know where the snow is and book last minute.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy