Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski travel companies - solo traveler

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads
The Ski Club of GB recommended Crystal Ski as a good way forward for a solo traveler but looking online I can’t find anyone who agrees..
Any advice ?
In particular atm I’m planning to go high up for the week of Christmas
Thanks
Stevechiro
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't work for Christmas but my advice is to use snowheads. Since going on a few bashes it's easy enough to find other people to ski with.

I've used Crystal for a solo at Christmas before. It was usual Crystal, cheapish and cheerfulish.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads @Stevechiro snowHead

While Crystal may have a few options to suit solos they certainly wouldn't be my 'go to' recommendation on the topic and can't imagine why the Tea Club would proffer them so; not least because the SCGB have their own products aimed at solos which I'd have thought they would be enthusiastic to recruit you to. (Did you upset them in some way? Are you a snowBoarder or something? Or perhaps you're just from the North? Wink )

Action Outdoors get recommended a lot for solos by various snowHeads. They operate as an agent for the French UCPA hostels which offer good value, basic accom, often with food, liftpass and instruction included.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
...also, what @SnoodlesMcFlude said snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
these might suit..

https://www.singlesport.com/winter-holidays/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you come across YSEski in Val d'Isere? They have a converted hotel - les Chardons with about 10 single rooms available at no supplement. The whole place holds about 45 - so always plenty of company. Great food & wine!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DiY as every standard operator these days would prefer to have empty rooms rather than give up their single supplement. In the old days they were far more flexible. I have given up trying with TOs and agents now as they all eventually return and say "no". If you book early there are potentially some places that actually have single rooms even with TOs. I had never come across YSE as offering them, for example - but I might not have searched on them specifically. Austria and Switerland have hotels with single rooms often without supplement. But some of the resorts do not have height to favour them. You do not mention budget but I am sure places like Zermatt and Verbier might be options and with rail/bus transfers as well. Not sure about Italy and single supplements in hotels.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For solo skiing I’d recommend a coaching course with the likes of Snoworks. Plenty of people that go solo. Or UCPA as mentioned above.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'll be covering options for single skiers in Episode 41 of The Ski Podcast (www.theskipodcast.com). Should be out early-October.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stevechiro wrote:
...... recommended Crystal Ski as a good way forward for a solo traveler but looking online I can’t find anyone who agrees. Any advice ? In particular atm I’m planning to go high up for the week of Christmas.

Yes ...... it's quite possibly the worst week you can pick to go solo ........

Other than that, as said, Austria in particular has plenty of single rooms at no 'supplement' ....... often half-board it's usually the case that come the second day there will be plenty of offers to ride out with others, if you've the inclining.

Be careful of this 'supplement' thing ...... often 'no supplement' means incredibly hiked price in the first place ......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BCjohnny wrote:
Stevechiro wrote:
...... recommended Crystal Ski as a good way forward for a solo traveler but looking online I can’t find anyone who agrees. Any advice ? In particular atm I’m planning to go high up for the week of Christmas.

Yes ...... it's quite possibly the worst week you can pick to go solo ........
I completely disagree with this statement.
Prices for that week remain high early on because Christmas is a family time and families need to plan ahead so once they settle upon what they intend to do, they usually just want to get everything booked up and settled. However, while it is really the first busy week of the season, it's quiet compared to the peak weeks so there is always spare capacity. I have never yet made it to Christmas without seeing some mega-bargain late deal that tempted me to consider dumping the family to fend for themselves and running off alone to go skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
I completely disagree with this statement.

Which is entirely your prerogative ..... so I'll look forward to you posting up all those last minute solo killer deals the TOs put out just before Christmas week........ wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diy is definitely moremreliably cheaper, especially to resorts with short/subsidised transfers.....Saalbach, Serre Chevalier and Arabba spring to mind
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re: 'solo':
If you only go searching for 'solo in my own room' options, that's a very different game to: 'solo but prepared to share a room with another solo'.
Lots of good information on here, whichever way.
::::
And there's even 'solo but prepared to share a room with more than one other solo': viz. 'flexible', au façon des Snowheads.
Or 'very flexible', i.e. 'solo but prepared to share a bed with another solo'.
Haven't seen the triple bed option yet, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I suppose it would depend on your personal preferences/broadmindedness/insensitivity/bank balance/objections/nervousness . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went with Coldfusion and had a brilliant time, it was all solo's and you share a room with other solo's in a chalet full of solo's.
snow conditions
i have been going solo for several years, i"m quite flexible as to where i go, and i leave it quite late to book, i usually go round all the catered chalet companies and see what they can offer me, i always get something, its usually a double room in a catered chalet with no single supplement, catered chalets are great if your on your own and quite sociable, i dont mind skiing on my own but i do like some company at evening mealtimes and chalets are perfect for that, but catered chalets for solos are not for everyone, if your quite shy and quiet or just hate being in the company of strangers it could be the holiday from hell. so far i"ve been on 15 of these holidays and all but one have been great fun with great people making lots of new friends.
latest report
I managed to get a small double room in 3V with Mark Warner for my trip this year but had to book early to get the special offer.

Sounds like a similar setup to compostcorner. People to have dinner with and also usually someone to ski with if you want to.

I’ll admit to not being keen on sharing a room. I’m not a great sleeper and my last experience staying at UCPA my room mates were so bad I ended up leaving early.
ski holidays
jilly29 wrote:
Have you come across YSEski in Val d'Isere? They have a converted hotel - les Chardons with about 10 single rooms available at no supplement. The whole place holds about 45 - so always plenty of company. Great food & wine!

Another vote for YSE.

We stayed in their most budget of budget chalets (it's not on their list anymore, Juniper/Jacaranda I think it was called) and we went with them because they offered solo rooms. The trip was me and the missus in one room, and a mate on his own in a solo room. Pretty sure there was no supplement to pay. Chalet board was amazing - more food and wine than you could shake a stick at - and the comms and service was excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy