Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jobs in/near the Mountains

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, @Nadenoodlee, I could probably pass an A1 French exam, or it certainly wouldn't take me a great deal of time to do so.

@Timbobaggins, definitely not them then, although wouldn't be surprised if their paths have crossed.

@Glosterwolf, who needs the alps when you've got Gloucester Ski Centre? A friends' brother (Polish EU National) worked at CERN and from what I understand, loved it. Their website is one I check out for roles regularly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if you’re a non-EU you also need BASIC level language certificate (i think A1)

A1 is very basic isn't it? - should be doable in a few weeks of hard work?

I’ve started A1 Spanish. Maybe ai’m old, but it doesn’t seem as basic as I was hoping. Actually, reading I’m ok with it’s the speaking and listening I struggle with. It’s the ‘process what they’re saying and come up with a suitable response’ part I struggle with!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swskier, I’m sure you have checked with them, but Nestle are just along the lake in Vevey and have English speaking roles. I worked some summer seasons in the pre-Alps for people who started an international school near Nestle, specifically to cater to their International workers.

I’m an accountant too, have often thought about a secondment with my firm to GVA. I am going to try to work remotely in Chamonix in the summer for a few wks if we can pull it off between my OH and myself, as we have two kids to look after. My firm has a specific policy permitting us to do it (if we have the right to work there, and we are Irish so no issues with our passports).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rois1980, I have tried Nestle before, and actually @BobinCH also tried to help me out with that one too, but nothing has ever come of it.

It seems though, as if my time might have come! The company i've now done a couple of interviews with in Jenbach called today to let me know they're going to be sending me an offer if I was still interested.

Still need to go through sorting the visa for myself + the GF (who will now probably need to be my wife!? Shocked ) but we're now looking quite likely we'll relocate to the Tyrol this summer! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swskier, fantastic news!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done, let us know how it goes, @swskier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
result, don't back out at the last minute now
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nadenoodlee, @pam w, thanks both.

@davidof, i've waited so long now to get a chance, i'd be mad to pull out! We've said to each other, the worst thing is, we don't like it and come back to the UK again, but in the future when we look back, we'll just see it as something we should have done
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, I said that nearly 9yrs ago now. Luckily the UK makes it super easy to not want to go back!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We've said to each other, the worst thing is, we don't like it and come back to the UK again

The worst thing is, you don't like each other...... Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We've said to each other, the worst thing is, we don't like it and come back to the UK again

The worst thing is, you don't like each other...... Twisted Evil

We already know that Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aw brilliant, hope this part goes fairly smoothly. Well done.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, nice one, congrats! Assuming it's the company I'm thinking of, a couple of friends of mine work there and both seem pretty happy with the set up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
We've said to each other, the worst thing is, we don't like it and come back to the UK again, but in the future when we look back, we'll just see it as something we should have done

Congrats on making it happen. With your attitude I suspect that outcome is highly unlikely!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, thanks. Yes likely the same place, it's presumably the biggest employer in Jenbach? Everyone i've spoken to from there seems to live in Innsbruck and commutes to Jenbach, but we're thinking of living somewhere along the Zillertal and commuting down.

@BobinCH, thank you, been a long time coming!
snow report
@swskier, congratulations on the job, the move and the engagement! Very Happy
snow report
@hammerite, thanks Laughing
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
FWIW my sister and her boyfriend both recently moved to Salzburg working for Aldi. She was seconded from the UK and they sorted everything for her; he applied to Aldi in Austria and got the job completely separately from her and they sorted visas/residency.

Both work in English, decent salaries, relocation packages, and as Aldi apparently struggle to recruit locally in Austria (not sure why!) both their teams are very international (EU and non-EU).

I have friends who work for Aldi in Salzburg. Great package. Lots of jobs always available online. I will definitely consider it when the time is right to move
snow report
For those on here that are Innsbruck based, any thoughts on Med-el?

Mrs Swskier (to be) has applied for a role there which on paper she's very suited to, so just wondered if anyone had any experience/ knows someone.

Certainly reading their website, they appear a good employer.
ski holidays
@swskier, I know a couple of people who work and/worked there, and it's always sounded like they treat their people well.
snow conditions
Ask to speak to the person leaving the role - then you can see their mettle.
latest report
@clarky999, thanks, that's helpful.

Of course she needs to pass the initial sift and get an interview still at this stage, but her CV and experience are nailed on in theory. We'll see how it goes.
snow conditions
@swskier, there is a guy on LinkedIn called Paddy Jobsman who has some very good tips about reaching out on LinkedIn to employees at target companies and getting boosted that way. Might be useful. In CH its all network, network so personal recommendations help. Not sure about Austria’s Biz culture
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, thanks. I think she's on LinkedIn, but i'll double check with her, and pass on the recommendation.
snow report
Today's the day I picked up my EU Blue Card, I'm now officially able to work and live in Austria snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@swskier, Well done Cool
snow conditions
@swskier, yay
snow report
@swskier, congrats!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Today's the day I picked up my EU Blue Card, I'm now officially able to work and live in Austria snowHead snowHead snowHead

I'd never heard of the blue card, well done. Out of interest, I read up on it for France and I wouldn't qualify for one on my current French salary.
snow conditions
@swskier, terrific!
snow report
@Timberwolf, @holidayloverxx, @clarky999, @Hurtle, thanks all.

@davidof, I believe the salary restrictions change from country to country.

I'd say for the level of role I've got in Austria, it's well paid, but, the Tyrol is a pricey area.

You can see the sorts of pay roles pay as a minimum for austrian jobs, as most state the minimum because its decided on by a country wide collective agreement. That said, the actual salary is then often higher than the quoted amount on the advert as they bump it up for qualifications and experience.

With the Blue card, I am also specifically tied to the employer that's sponsored me for the first 2 years, after 21 months I can apply for a Red White Red plus card, and that would allow me to work where I want within Austria.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@Timberwolf, @holidayloverxx, @clarky999, @Hurtle, thanks all.

@davidof, I believe the salary restrictions change from country to country.

I'd say for the level of role I've got in Austria, it's well paid, but, the Tyrol is a pricey area.

It does, 66593 euros for Austria.

Around 55Keuros for France which is about 10K more than they pay experienced dev. roles. They've set it near to double the average salary (2,300 euros per month) so I guess they are picky.

https://www.d7visa.com/eu-blue-card-salary-requirements/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-07-23 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

That figures changed, its more like mid 40s I think now.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
davidof wrote:

ah yes you are right, the EU's own portal is out of date. Dropped in 2023. They probably are suffering skills shortage like everyone else. #brexitinnit Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-07-23 15:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:
davidof wrote:

ah yes you are right, the EU's own portal is out of date.

I'd not have one otherwise Laughing
snow report
We're just over 2 weeks now since we arrived in Austria.

Enjoying our time, I'm working every day during the week, so it's on the weekends I really get to explore, but making the most of our time.

Work is quite flexible in terms of office hours, so on Friday I was done by 3, and off on a hike up to the Tuxerjoch Haus in the Hintertux ski area.

Yesterday was a Bank Holiday, so virtually the whole of my company was on leave on Monday, so I also had a nice 4 day bank holiday Very Happy

We've landed on our feet in some respects in that my other half has pretty much bagged herself work for the winter in a restaurant on the slopes of the Penken ski area, turns out a family member of the guesthouse we're in for our first month runs a place up there, so that was sorted on our first night of arrival!

We also have ourselves a permanent base from 1st September, and again this turned in to a job offer for her with Saturday morning change over cleaning during the winter, and then working in the restaurant in the summer months, with a view to her running the place after a year or so as the owners plan to retire.

Not sure how we've managed to stumble on these opportunities, but here we are snowHead

Oh, and the view from the apartment isn't too shabby either.....

IMG-20230813-WA0003
ski holidays
Looking good
ski holidays
@swskier, brilliant Very Happy
snow report
@swskier, great stuff to hear and see
snow report
@swskier, sweet! I do think that sometimes, once you commit to a path, the universe conspires to help you along Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy