Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming or Flachau?

Poster: A snowHead
This may have been discussed previously, if so, click away now....

...Going to Austria 17-24 February - which incorporates most of half-term week - have the option of Neustift and therefore Stubai, Schlick etc. However, we are there for a week over New Year so looking for a change. Accommodation very limited and premium prices but have found good options in both Schladming and Flachau areas.

I have only skied Flachau once (long weekend in late January) and the queues were awful! Seemed to be lift capacity rather than huge numbers. For this reason I am nervous to return. Never skied Schladming. With the family who are all competent intermediates and wife likes a day off to shop Puzzled

So, put simply, which is better? (I know neither is perfect but limited affordable accommodation options)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you have transport? If so there's lots of easily accessible places with much smaller or non existent queues from both those resorts if the crowds are too much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schladming will be quieter. Lots of skiing for the week
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre, i have a flat in Flachau.. schladming
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobinS, yes will have car @holidayloverxx, loving the objectivity wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, I love Flachau..obvs...but every trip I go to schladming. Bigger mountain from Hauser to Reiteralm can handle the crowds better. Flachau is a very small mountain for the numbers it attracts
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...and There is no shopping...or anything else to speak of in flachau
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I live between the two and I say Schladming for the same reasons as @holidayloverxx . Ange Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Schladming at Half-Term but also consider the Hochkonig as a base. Might be cheaper accommodation options.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I live 1.5h from each, so it's irrelevant where I live Very Happy But if just skiing is question, definitely Flachau. Schladming is sort of fancy (not really) village (yeah village not city, and that comes from someone living in 3rd biggest city in country with only 30.000people Very Happy) but that's it. Well yeah, Nightrace in Schladming is for me most amazing race you can be at, but again, as far as skiing is concerned, Flachau (with Wagrain, Flachauwinkel and Zauchensee) is way better then Schladming, and personally I don't really see all the fuss about Schladming. At least terrain that I consider as good skiable terrain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@primoz, I think for "competent intermediates" like the OP, rather than your high level of competence, the Schladming area is fab.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowsartre, I'd suggest Bad Hofgastein as a decent alternative worth looking at. The skiing is a bit higher so feels much more like a mountain than Flachau, which doesn't really get above the tree line at all. If you've got your own transport it's an easy drive round to Alpendorf for a ski to Flachau and back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, probably you are right. But considering OP will have car, I would say Flachau is still better option in my mind, as you have several other places close(er) by, including Salzburg for "wife likes a day off to shop" Smile, as I wouldn't count any of these resorts good enough for whole week of skiing... unless we are talking about last January... then Zauch is all I need... month or two long Very Happy
Damn... does it really show that much, how much I actually despise overrated Schladming? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@primoz, oh I agree re other places close by. I usually only ski 2 or 3 days in Flachau when we are there...and one of those days is usually just a pootle to have lunch at the Auhofalm.

Can you get the train from schladming to Salzburg?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Can you get the train from schladming to Salzburg?

Looks like you can
https://is.gd/Iwabyu
About 1.5h and 9-19eur ticket.
latest report
My hubby is a ski instructor for Radstadt and visits Flachau for one day during half term with his group. They queue for a minimum of 30 mins at the valley, then another long queue at the next lift to get to the top. February is mental at Flachau. Nov and Dec are awesome for Flachau! That aside - yes there is a train station in Schladming going to Salzburg, and also Flixbus stops there. Ange Smile
latest report
flangesax wrote:
February is mental at Flachau.

Personally I would say February is mental everywhere. That, and thing that my normal "resort skis" are FIS GS skis, is reason why February is for me month for ski touring and xc skiing, unless I join some of teams where I have few friends, and get few runs between gates on early morning when hills are officially still closed. Otherwise it's just no fun to ski with all the crowd, and I rather go out on xc skis or into backcountry ski touring, where I can still be (more or less) alone. But considering most of people don't have luxury of picking any day from October till May for skiing, I understand you go when you and your family have time, and if that's middle of February it's middle of February.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy