Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel recommendation for pregnant partner

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Alps that would work well for one skier and one pregnant wife, who might be convinced to come if the accommodation was nice and accompanied by a decent pool/spa/pretty ski town? Open to ideas on location.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't stayed in the hotel itself but hotel Au Coeur du village in La Clusaz looks nice and from there you can do a day trip to Annecy by bus.

Les Suites d'Alexane in Samoens also looks good.

Alternatively if you could remove the pretty ski town requirement it would be worth considering Hotel Taj I Mah in Arc 2000. Have not stayed in the hotel itself but have used the facilities pool, jacuzzi etc and they were A1. As it is right by the slopes you would be able to meet for lunch and there is a good choice of eateries in arc 2000 and arc 1950 that your wife could reach by foot. There are also some easy walks in the area but it would depend how many months pregnant your wife was as to whether she would be wanting to walk far in the snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also recommend travelling by train first class. You could get to Les Arcs on the daytime direct Eurostar and get a private transfer up the mountain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have a decent budget-look no further than Zermatt and one of their smarter hotels (they have many!). Personal faves:
1.Hotel Matterhorn Focus;
2.Hotel Europe,
Both have a very nice pool and spa area (but the Matterhorn Focus is really something special-went there on minimoon)
This make me sound dead rich and swanky, but we have only been in November when their rates are lower..but you can still ski. By the end of November you can usually get over to Cervinia and the midstations. The town is lovely, with good walks lower down. Particularly once the season is in full swing, the lifts can take a non skier to lovely lunch spots; as well as the Gornergrat mountain railway, and the cable car to the very top of the Klein Matterhorn (3800).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for all the recommendations so far - I'll be checking them out!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Two 4 star hotels in Austria. The Goldberg Hotel in Bad Hofgastein and the Bergland Hotel in Solden. Both are hotels with top class spas and are very comfortable. The Goldberg is a Hotel you would be reluctant to leave even to go skiing with lovely views. There is a top notch Alpentherme Spa in Bad Hofgastein if she should tire of the Hotel which I would doubt.

The Goldberg is also ski in ski out and is served by the brand new Gondola which will link you to the 10k red run which ends at the hotel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wengen, Grindelwald or lauterbrunnen if budget allows. Can travel to Interlaken on train for outing or even Bern. Think there are swimming facilities around and can get train to meet for lunch etc on slopes. Someojne else will know better than me but think the Victoria Lauberhorn in Wengen if that is the one by the rail station has full spa facilities.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto Zermatt. Decent budget required. We (pretty much certainly a one off) stayed at the Zermatterhof last year, CHF370 per night. Pretty much 50% more than we normally spend, but it was a half price deal for them! All you could wish for in a hotel. Rack rate circ 750 per night so you will probably need a good deal in at least 'shoulder season' to get to the price we paid. Worth checking out. As Perty says though, the choice is huge. I would also look at Kitsbuhel, lovely town and although I have not been skiing there for 30 years, I'm sure they have some great spa Hotels.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worth pointing out that Zermatt and Kitzbuhel are both great towns with a lot to do for the non skier. I could not say the same for Wengen et al?@countryman,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
leave her at home & spend more on yourself
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My usual response (sorry regular readers) - How about putting her first? (no, I'm not accusing you of being uncaring) I mean, how about something like a thermal spa/wellness location, probably in the valley or by a lake, with you driving out to ski each day? In our area, that's somewhere line the Bains de Saillon (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/). There are loads of locations like this all over The Alps. This has two advantages. First, it is centered on your partner, rather than being a 'How can I handle someone on my ski trip who can't ski?' approach and second, if the weather is really bad, or the snow is terrible, you're already in a nice location for you to stay behind. I use to example of Saillon only to underline that I don't mean the usual 'nice hotel with a spa on the side' in a ski resort. I mean a proper, full spa location or lakeside resort where there's lots of non-skiing things to do, including excursions to nearby towns. But where you can hop in the car and get to the ski area in under, say an hour.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For all those recommending spas - catch yourselves on. Pregnant women are banned from pretty much everything joyful (jacuzzis, steam rooms etc) so unless it’s just a glorified heated pool it’s a waste...

I love Wengen but if I wasn’t skiing I’d be bored within a day.

How pregnant will she be? What does she like to do?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was thinking Zermatt and Kitz too,

Hotel Seiler in Zermatt,
I dont know any really nice Hotels in Kitzbuhel, there must be some.

But then the atmosphere can be a bit stuffy in Zermatt.

Perhaps Zell am See then, fabulous boutique Hotel "Two Timez" is really good you have to slum it for meals in the Hotel next door but the atmosphere and bar is very friendly there too.
My dear wife is giving up skiing this season, but she wants to go back to Zell again.

We won't go to the Two Timez though... Crying or Very sad
The best bathroom I have ever experienced bar none. .... Well perhaps the one in Hotel Seiler
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For all those recommending spas - catch yourselves on. Pregnant women are banned from pretty much everything joyful (jacuzzis, steam rooms etc) so unless it’s just a glorified heated pool it’s a waste...

This massively depends on what country you live in! In Finland it is pretty normal to see very pregnant women in saunas...It's also quite normal to see pregnant women cross country skiing in winter (although most Finns can cross country ski as well as they can walk )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snow_promise, in France it’s a firm non. I certainly wouldn’t advise someone who has never skied (cross country or otherwise) to start when pregnant.
snow conditions
Take her to Cortina with a few days o. Venice
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, good suggestion, however the shopping is perilous, even more expensive than Zermatt, beware! Venice, awful skiing but its the one place that is more amazing than you think it could be.
snow conditions
But flights of steps up and over bridges every 100m! Hell for us with a pushchair. I wouldn’t recommend it for pregnant.
latest report
I'm amazed no one has mentioned this already. It sounds like you'd still go on your own even if she decided she didn't want to go. If so, go on a Snowheads Bash and save money by leaving her at home, then use that money to do something centred around her at another time.
latest report
Kitz. A real city with much to do. You have Langenfeld near Solden but nothing for her to do in the area.
Or Cortina for a few days and then Venice, as mentioned. Romantic, tasty and seriously not expensive shopping, guys. We were amazed to discover that boutiques and shoes/clothing stores in Prague for New Year charged more than in Venice/Innsbruck. Just avoid Roberto Cavalli etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy