Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skins to choose?

Poster: A snowHead
Need some new skins and looking at the BASI deals it would appear that Contour and Montana are available on the BASI Pro deal.

I used to have colltex and they were fine but sold the skis and skins off. I am on Dynastar Legend 88's 186 long and just after solid easy to use skins for short occasional tours.

Any thoughts on models ? Contour seems to have loads of options Hybrid Mix, Guide Mix or easy all-in-one... Montana not sure...

Backing Foil or Mesh?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kohla are the best I’ve used, better than BD imo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Contour are best I’ve used, far better than BD. Glue is especially good - simple to wash to rejuvenate. I think it’s the hybrid ones we have.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't beat the Colltex Clariden skins with the acrylate Whizz glue - light, no cheat sheet to faff around with and their tip bail/camlock tail clips are the best on the market. And when they eventually need reglueing they're a doodle to do as acrylate glue comes on a roll. This is the skin that Scott use for their factory Superguide skins and Volkl are now using them for their BMT/V-Werks skins. I've sold hundreds of sets of them over the years without issue whereas I'm regularly getting getting requests from customers for spare parts for pretty much every other brand etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, fit my Rags?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
@spyderjon, fit my Rags?

Yep. I've got the 140mm width for my Rags.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So definitely don't get Black Diamond Wink

I used to have Colltex and they were fine, but I seem to recall a fair amount of faff to set em up... was a good 10 years ago though. How about Pomoca skins, anyone use those? I like that the front and rear clips are solid and specific to the ski..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Seconded for those, a brilliant skin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got Colltex Clariden for last season and so did my brother. Did lots of research as remit was the holy grail of top value, most simplicity and ease of use and longevity! Couldn't give a fig if something else was 20% more grippy or glidy if it compromised those things. So simple and super reliable every time we used them. Absolutely faff free. Highly recommended!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@beeryletcher, cheers bud... I had Colltex for 6 or 8 years and sold em and am intrigued by the new glue system which gets great write ups on line. Would appear the Whizz glue came out in 14/15 and upgraded to Clariden in 17/18..

how do you find the glue holds in wet conditions? Mainly looking to do spring tours and I like the thought of not having to use sheets between the skins and the ability to reglue em as required. Hoping my new touring skis and bindings will last a while.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimottaret, I didn't have any issues with mine at all even in wet snow. I wasn't particularly thorough with ski drying before applying either and they stuck on and stayed put anyway. I was very happy. I found myself opting to put the skins on for short uphills where I might not have bothered and opted to walk before, because the faff wasn't worth it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-climbing-skins
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DB, saw that article cheers for the link but is usa and doesn't have all the euro models like colltex..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys , decided to go with what I know and got Colltex again after speaking with Jon, the contours on the BASI deal seemed a bit complicated to work out all the required bits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret, I’m keen but need 140mm wide x 185cm long are they heavy compared with say Kohla that have a plastic strip down the middle?@spyderjon, what you think?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Thanks guys , decided to go with what I know and got Colltex again after speaking with Jon, the contours on the BASI deal seemed a bit complicated to work out all the required bits.

at 150 euros starting price the discounts would have to be very good. I'm generally looking to pay under 100 euros for a pair of Geckos and I cut the tail clips off too.
snow conditions
theyre all good and theyre all bad in my experience. each glue has its own properties some better for colder temps, some better for wetter snow.
snow report
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-climbing-skins
snow report
My family has 2 pairs of The Colltex Clraiden (Whizz) Hybrid Glue. The have been a godsend for my 10 year old daughter, so that she can rip skins without removing skis, and she can rip them apart to apply them.

I have had some issues with limited stick on very wet spring days, but never failed to work, even on repeat laps, as long as we applied carefully, and using tip and tail connectors.
We have used them in some very cold weather also without problems. Grip and glide are both excellent.

However, last spring I used the acrylate tape to renew the glue on the older pair, as it was becoming a bit less sticky.
I followed the instructions carefully, but the result was horrible. The glue layer started peeling off, like some kind of bad skin disease!

I found this thread*, were several people mention the same thing, and that, after the fact, they were told by Colltex that once you apply the new tape, you need to start using mesh between the skin for folding them.
Note that they explicitly say you can fold them skin to skin, after your first ski on them after applying the new glue tape, and this is what I did.

*https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/forum/colltex-whizz-skins-re-gluing-experiences

Now I am unsure how to proceed. Try another layer of the tape? Try and remove all acrylate tape and regale with regular glue? Just get new skins?> Seems a shame, as the plush is still in great shape.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy