Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard Reculas, Auris - 2019-20.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm hearing there are plans to replace the Chalvet lift with Marmotte 1 and replace that with a new telemixte similar to Les Jeux.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That seems to be quite a common thing with snow-forecast. I’m also in Vaujany from Sat. As you say, hopefully getting colder and fingers crossed for some fresh snow!

I was there for New Year and the Fare which is a great run was incredibly icy lower down, lots of freeze thaw.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raining now Sad but the snow is holding up on piste fine, if a little heavy, and it's snowing higher up.

Does anyone in Vaujany this week have paracetamol? Asking for MrsSabreboy's aching knee.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most French chemists stock Doliprane - it's 1000mg paracetamol.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sabreboy, I assume you are asking because there is no pharmacy in Vaujany ? There is one in Allemont but that closes at 19-30. I think it is open early though, something like 08-15.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpinebear wrote:
I'm hearing there are plans to replace the Chalvet lift with Marmotte 1 and replace that with a new telemixte similar to Les Jeux.

Makes sense, The chairlift is a total mismatch with the folly ducks because of the downloading it seems to me. Bit of a big step up from the ancient 2 man though ? Why don't they sell the marmottes 1 to OZ / Vaujany to replace the Clos Giraud Laughing

"Alpinebear" do you have a link to any info about lift pass arrangements during Tomorrowland ? Last year you could buy "normal" lift passes until the Tuesday, I think, and then season pass holders got limited access for Weds. Thurs. Fri. ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes @skitow, cheers for the tip, but we don't have transport. Early finishes and hot chocolate seems to be helping.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sabreboy, OK. If you were desperate you could catch the skibus down to Allemont. It runs a few times a day and stops near the pharmacy, which is at the very far end of the village nearest Bourg d'Oisans. Times are on the internet somewhere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A good week, sunny for the past couple of days and pistes quite firm in places. It felt very busy at times, which we should have expected at half term. I'd post a picture of the pic-blanc queue if it would help anyone and if I could work out how.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree @sabreboy, conditions mixed for the whole week, both weather and snow. The resort must be hoping for a massive dump.

We queued an hour for Pic Blanc on Thursday. Worth it when we got there.

We skied today, Saturday, and every where was busy. The Pic Blanc queues looked to around 3/4 an hour. Went to Marmottes 3 and queued for less than 10 mins.

Mont Frais was a ghost town this PM. Nice cold beer whilst kids blasted down snow park for the last few runs, before a quick charge down La Fare.

The infrastructure seems tired, with quite a few stoppages. Also escalators in Vaujany have been crocked most of the week.

Overall a good week and my son and 2 of his mates had a great time.

Apologies to anyone who had a 6'2" Tigger, Pooh and Eyore fly past. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sabreboy, too late now probably, but I understand that the Tourist Information in Vaujany will sort out over the counter pharmaceutical deliveries on your behalf. They are helpful people, though I have never asked them for this service.

Also the suggestion about replacing the Clos Giraud is timely and already in hand. A Telemixte has been ordered from the same people who did the lift from the bottom of La Fare (Bertholet); apparently it will go from Montfrais to Alpette in less than the time the current lift takes to do half the journey.

@Alpinebear the replacement of the Chalvet TS is overdue, but I will miss the pace and views from both it and the Clos Giraud when they go. I won't miss the freezing cold experience when they stop unexpectedly though!

@Knackered_knees, though Pic Blanc can be brilliant, timing is everything with regard to the lift. First thing is nearly always a problem, lunchtime hardly ever is. You can also traverse across to the Glacier chair from the top of Marmotte 3 but it can be a bit of a trial. It looks as though your observation about the need for fresh snow will be met this week. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Petere, timing didn't seem to matter last week as very busy with half term. When we got on the lift after an hour, the queue had doubled in size!!! Basically throughout the day the queue was a minimum of 3/4 hour to an hour.

Marmottes 3 was better, but still long queues to get up there from Marmottes 2 and at 3.

Good news that there will be a new lift from Mont Frais to Alpette. It's a pain to catch the 2 slow chairs to get to Alpette this way.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sadly/thankfully we aren't tied to school holidays any longer. I guess the good news is if they are in a queue for Pic Blanc they aren't on the other pistes!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Petere, Only next year for us and then freedom beckons snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You will miss them , but not the restaurant and lift pass bills! Vaujany is a great place to ski outside the half term holidays by the way, we had a great long weekend in January, perfect sunshine, good piste conditions and no queues - managed 220km in 3.5 days! Needed a holiday at the end of it though
latest report
I arrive Saturday, very excited, to a snow forecast of epic proportions. Are the French meteo reports for as much as i am reading.
A little soleil would be nice
snow report
Meteo France aren't great at forecasting snow depths in my opinion. I tend to look at as many different forecasts as I can be bothered to(Bergfex, Snow Forecast, wepowder etc.) and pick the one I like the look of! The big issue with this dump will be wind. Ad'H is very exposed to Westerlies, the top lifts may well close.
ski holidays
Conditions were marvellous today. Powder morning, laying down fresh tracks at 9am on piste and off piste due to the 20 odd cms last night. Particularly nice in Auris after lunch but conditions closed in about 4pm and a very snowy day is forecast for tomorrow
snow report
Dumping it down at the moment. Windy up top with a few lift closures.

No decision yet on Tomorrowland.
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:

No decision yet on Tomorrowland.

I take it you mean in relation to coronavirus ?
snow conditions
@skitow, yes fingers crossed it goes ahead
snow report
@Alpinebear, Yes it's a strange / difficult one, whoever decides which way they are going is welcome to that decision Sad
snow report
They have cancelled TML for this winter.
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, Will everything be open as usual and will Galaxy be enabled? It should be eerily quiet I'll probably come over a couple of days.
snow report
Got home yday after my week in ADH.
I am gutted for the resort in terms of Tomorrowland being cancelled. 30k people not going and those spaces in apartments going unfilled

But:

The ski area and resort will be fully operational as it is due to France outlawing gatherings over 5k that has caused canx.

The organisers of TML ship in all their own beer, spirits, wine and on site food via wholesalers in Belgium.
The views from locals are indifferent re TMLs presence as the French and many normal skiers that spend money locally stay away that week.
The decision to host TML was decided at Municipal level for an initial 5 years.

So there could be bargains at a resort i consider to be one of the best.
The links at ADH with lift enhancements ongoing make the place a pleasure.
And it is still one of the friendliest French resorts.
I like the place very much.
snow report
@Claude B, yes looks to be Grand Galaxy friendly.
There will still be some sort of unofficial TML festival for the week.

Hoteliers and apt owners not angry with TML, more with the government/prefecture for cancelling it.

More info next week on entertainment for the week.
snow report
Yellow Snow wrote:
Got home yday after my week in ADH.
I am gutted for the resort in terms of Tomorrowland being cancelled. 30k people not going and those spaces in apartments going unfilled

But:

The ski area and resort will be fully operational as it is due to France outlawing gatherings over 5k that has caused canx.

The organisers of TML ship in all their own beer, spirits, wine and on site food via wholesalers in Belgium. I think that is at least partially true, maybe 100%, Local restaurants were deserted during it last year

The views from locals are indifferent re TMLs presence as the French and many normal skiers that spend money locally stay away that week. Actually anyone other than a TML ticket holder was barred from buying a pass for 4 days, season pass holders got a concession to use some lifts outside central area. There were not many on the slopes anyway......

The decision to host TML was decided at Municipal level for an initial 5 years. Yes, some locals very unhappy about it as ADH has to pay TML, a substantial sum, to come there, not the other way around.

So there could be bargains at a resort i consider to be one of the best. Presumably they have removed the restriction on pass and accomodation sales ? I would go myself but too busy Sad

The links at ADH with lift enhancements ongoing make the place a pleasure.
And it is still one of the friendliest French resorts. Yes Very Happy Very Happy
I like the place very much.And me too Very Happy Very Happy
[b]
snow conditions
@skitow, surprised at some locals not happy with paying TML. Maybe the same ones who complain about the TDF and having to pay for that also.
How much have the resort paid to TML?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpinebear wrote:
@skitow, surprised at some locals not happy with paying TML. Maybe the same ones who complain about the TDF and having to pay for that also. That is not the case with the people I was talking to.
How much have the resort paid to TML?Sent you a PM.
ski holidays
Here at the moment and watching all the temporary structures being taken down and carted away is very sad. Conditions are bearing up but getting a bit slushy low down PM.
snow conditions
Well that was a surprise last night!

Last day today, ADH open but no cabin lifts operating.

Feel sad for everyone but hopefully these measures will help.

Don't know yet if working tomorrow or not.
snow conditions
Borders opening up tomorrow so hopefully the end of the virus but for how long...

There is a new boss of SATA so will be interesting to hear his ideas for the future.

The running of L2A by SATA has been okd by the various Mairies
The season turned out to be ok turnover wise except for La Grave which suffered with no late season skiing.

New lifts planned - still uncertainty for next season but maybe Marmmotes 1 to TMX, Bergers beginners area reorganised, 2 tapis for Club Med and other refurbishment work.

Chalvet replacement not until summer 2021

Replacement Huez village also summer 2021

The new Allemond to Oz lift looks good and well on the way to being completed for this winter.

Weather not great at the moment with the river passing through Bourg(La Romanche) thé highest it's been for a few years.

Finally there is a new mayor here and his main project is........he wants a lift from Bourg D'Oisans to Huez! Never underestimate the power of the mayor they say!
snow report
Thanks for this - now googling any shots of the allemont lift
snow report
I drove through Alpe d'huez today after doing a rando above le col de la sarenne. Much quieter than here but a few people about.

Stopped for a beer in Bourg at 28°C or so where some guy was taking the wee wee as I had a light fleece on. Until I explained I'd just come down from 2500m where it was a little cooler.
ski holidays
Just in case anyone is pining, I took these yesterday.

ski holidays
@Claude B, Thanks rolling eyes Still in lockup here in Wales mate Sad
snow conditions
Beautiful. Always amazed how quickly the grass recovers, my dog leaves a toy on the grass for a couple of weeks and it stays discoloured for ages, that stuff is lightless for months!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy