Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2019/20 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
@Tom Doc, Line 2 bus from the airport to the station. Come out of the airport, cross toward car hire by walking under white canopy. Bus stop is on the right. Buses every 15 minutes. 2euro.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom Doc, as @nozawaonsen said.

If you book far enough in advance you can get the cheaper Sparschiene tickets too. The website currently shows them as available for your dates, but at basically full price (other than the last one). Normally Sparschiene tickets are between €9 and €19 or so.

https://tickets.oebb.at/de/ticket/timetable?cref=oebb-sparschiene
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom Doc, download the OEBB app onto your phone (there is an English version), it makes life easier for tickets etc. One ticket will cover the journey including buses if needed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great, thanks folks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Watching the thread with interest, thanks for all the updates.....

We are heading to Innsbruck for 3 maybe 3 and a half days skiing next week - staying in Neustift and doing it via Public Transport. Judging by the cams and comments on here - the glacier is for a good vis / not too windy day (fingers crossed). Then Schlick 2000, Mutteralm / Axamer or further afield (maybe Kühtai)? Any recommendations as to an itinerary to aim for? I can see Buses from Neustift to Schlick and Mutters but looks like we'd have to go via Innsbruck for Kühtai.

We're hoping to maybe do a half day the day we arrive (maybe just at the local Elferbahn) but it looks like most hire shops are closed over lunch so might just have to mooch around until they re-open.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If your staying in Neustift then no need to consider Kuhtai, if the weather is fine then head for the glacier and if not head for the schlick (pretty much open most of the time)

Plenty to keep you occupied at either resort and buses run up and down the valley in between them both (obviously stopping in Neustift) on a regular basis.

Intersport hire shops located at the bottom station of both resorts which are open all day. Enjoy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gbium, Stubai will normally put a warning out early on social media if they're not going to open, or a notice that they will make a decision at 10am. They often close for wind or avalanche risk, but if the weather looks good they will usually be open. You don't really want to be up there on a windy day anyway. Check the webcams if you're concerned about visibility.

The snow line is still quite high, and the lowest couple of hundred metres of snow is very thin so some of the areas with lower slopes are still partially closed. Above this, snow cover is fine. Schlick 2000 seems to be fully open, and most of the skiing there is above the mid station anyway. I'd choose Axamer Lizum over Muttereralm if you want to venture out of Stubaital as it's quite a bit higher and snow cover is good all the way down.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks All, will take the advice. Will start with an afternoon at one of the closest two and take it from there.

Re: Mutteralm was thinking of heading to Axamer and them skiing back to Mutteralm for the shorter bus home. Is that possible at the moment?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I arrived this afternoon, and have spent the last couple of hrs exploring on foot (and finding somewhere that stocks gluten free bread, it would be the last of the 3 equally close supermarkets I looked in. Being Ceoliac sucks!)

So the next problem is getting to the skiing. Is there a website or app that is good for showing what buses there are, and where to catch one? I'll have a Google but you lot might shortcut that for me.

On a similar note, is there a good resource for snow conditions, Avi reports etc?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tom Doc, Welcome to Innsbruck Cool

VVT Smartride app for transport info, VVT Tickets app for tickets. Tickets are cheaper on the app than from the bus driver. Always buy one for the full journey even if you're using buses and trains (cheaper). I'm not sure if it gives info on the free buses though, but afaik if you are in ski gear you can use the J bus (Nordkette to Patscherkofel), Axamer Lizum and Kühtai (though it may depend on who is driving...). Buy a ticket when you get on if you need to.

Bus stop names are written on the stop and also called/on a screen in the bus, so it's pretty easy to figure out. I think Google maps show them too.

Avi report and snow info here: https://avalanche.report/bulletin/latest

Mostly accurate local lift openings here: https://winter.intermaps.com/innsbruck (Elferbahnen showing as closed, but I don't think it is).

The biggest, best supermarket is Interspar. There are a couple, but they're at the south end of the city.

PM your number if you want to meet up or need anything else.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, that's great, thanks, I'll have a look now.

I'll send my number now too, I'm here by myself this week so anytime you need a ski partner (or tour partner) just shout. I'm not into jumping off cliffs mind you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm thinking of Axamer Lizum for tomorrow. Any reason not to, or anywhere where conditions are much better?

The bus looks like it takes an hour, is that about right?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Folks, apologies, not a snow post as such but I'm after info about parking in Innsbruck.

Is the carpark between Innrain and Egger-Lienz Strasse still in use? Some of the photos of it it says "Hafen" and then linking into motorhome parking it's been suggested that "Hafen" has been razed. Not sure if they are the same place.

Our niece (working the season in St Christoph (Arlberg)) is going to meet us, via rail, in Innsbruck so we'll need somewhere to park a 3m high vehicle for the day.
Alternative would be staying over at Camping Innsbruck (near the airport) and travelling in.

Your opinions are very welcome as to the best way to go about this rendezvous.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tom Doc, bus to Lizum should be more like 20-30 mins, assuming you're going from the city. Probably as good as anywhere for tomorrow, though I think further east may have a little more snow.

@Scamper, Hafen was a big music venue type thing, and has now been closed. Parking in Innsbruck is a bit of a bitch, unless you have the annual parking card - I think the longest you can get a ticket for is 90 mins, and basically nowhere in the city has free on street parking.

Your best bet would be to do it on a Sunday, where you can park in any blue zone for free all day. Otherwise one of the underground car parks? Not sure what the height limits are though.

Otherwise consider the park and ride (tbh it's still walking distance) at Tivoli: https://www.olympiaworld.at/en/infos-news/parken/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brill info, thanks Clarky.
ski holidays
@Scamper, Some of the blue bays are free all day Saturday, and some just for the afternoon. IIRC, there are some all day bays on Schneeburggasse (about halfway along) and probably on some of the other streets nearby in Hötting. Check the parking meter for timings. It's a bit of a walk down from there, though you could hop on the bus.
snow report
Not worried about a walk (we'll have the dogs so happy to walk), more about trying to fit a motorhome in a parking bay - 7m X 2.2m with a height of 3m (normal carpark cut off is 2.0 or 2.2m so garages are off limits). Will also have to consider any low underpasses.

We'll have to work the days around her off days (not that many).
snow conditions
Thanks Scarlet. We don't mind paying - it's more an access problem.
Do you think we'd be better off booking an overnight pitch at the campsite and traveling in?
ski holidays
@Scamper, The blue bays are on the street so no height issues. I have no idea about any other restrictions you may encounter in a camper van, but I think if you're parked within the bay and not blocking anyone's drive, it should be ok on a weekend. If you do decide to park up there, you may want to access from the west as Hottingergasse is very narrow at the bottom (though the buses do go up there, so you will be able to get through).
ski holidays
@Scarlet, thank you
latest report
Removed post - got my left and right mixed up!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 5-01-20 4:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Scamper, I don't know what campsites are open this time of year, but I know there's one in Thaur and one at Natterersee. There may be somewhere closer to town as well. Buses are cheap and regular, so getting into the main station should be easy from most places.
snow conditions
@clarky999, I'm staying on Claudiastraße, in your neck of the woods. Maybe the buses take longer on Sundays?
snow report
@Scamper, would definitely be easy to stay overnight at Natterersee and get the bus in. One place you will definitely find a space big enough for your van is by the Hofgarten on Karl-Kapferer-Straße (there's often a few park along there). But you'll have the same limitations as above for when you can park longer than 90 mins.
snow conditions
@Tom Doc, sorry, just checked, they really do take almost an hour! Ha, that's literally round the corner from me. We'll have to get a beer/ski sometime soon!
latest report
Many thanks, Clarky and Scarlet - the plan is moving forward snowHead
snow conditions
@clarky999, anytime, just shout.
ski holidays
A hopefully simple question for @clarky999: do the parking meters (specifically on Kaiser-Franz-Joseph Strasse) only take coins? And is there anywhere better to park locally?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tom Doc, I believe so, but there is an app too: https://www.innsbruck.gv.at/page.cfm?vpath=umwelt--verkehr/parken/parkzeitgeraete

I've never used it though as I have the 2 year residents parking permit.

TBH parking everywhere in the city kinda sucks, but is worse than usual around us due to some building works that have taken over a big section of what are usually parking spaces. Claudiastrasse usually seems to have spaces though.
snow report
Thanks.

I've tried one of the apps but it doesn't like my phone number - there are several in your link so I'll try the others.

There always seem to be spaces on Claudiastrasse, but you're limited to 3 hours there.
snow report
@Tom Doc, ah, is Kaiser-Franz-Joseph Strasse in the green zone or something?
snow conditions
Time to get some snow and skiing back on this thread too!

Given the rather dry winter so far, last weekend delivered much more than expected.

A few centimetres had been forecast for Saturday, but on Sunday I woke up to the sound of heavy bombing at Nordkette - normally required only with 30cms or more. So obviously we went up to check it out!

Turned out Nordkette had received a good 40cms, way more than expected and more than anywhere else nearby. Poor visibility, lots of people, and scraped down to the ice below after one run, but the one run was good 'un!

Menno claims it:

After that we headed down and straight over to Axamer Lizum, on the other side of the Inn valley.

It hadn't had as much new snow, and everything in the main ski area looked pretty scrapey, but off the back was again a LOT nicer than expected! Around 10cm of wind-buffed 'old powder' on a generally pretty smooth base skied really nicely, especially in the glorious sunshine with no-one else around.

Me on the bootpack along the ridge to start:

Menno skis down:

Skin back up:

And down again, all the way to the valley:

There was enough snow to ski the toboggan track (honestly one of the gnarliest and most unpleasant things I ski every winter) to within 200m of the village of Grinzens.

As Monday was a bank holiday, we went to check out one of the couloirs on the north face of Serles.

Full TR here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150581

The snow wasn't quite as good, but again much better than expected given the winter so far!

In the couloir itself a mix of nice wind-buffed powder and hard crusts, transitioning between the two with little warning; in the flatter terrain at the bottom ((which doesn't get any sun at this time of year) and out through the forest lovely untracked powder.

In some places, the crusts mentioned above sit on worthless old sugar snow and faceted crystals - which could get very touchy when new snow falls on top of it.

Few pictures of the couloir, but see the TR above for more:

latest report
A bit of feedback incase any other motorhomers wanted to visit Innsbruck.
We used the StellPlatz at Hall in Tirol. It's a proper campsite in summer but has overnight parking, grey and chem waste disposal and fresh water for €10 (24 hours) in winter. And ehu inc.
Short walk (15 mins) to Hall Bahnhof, and then 2 stops on the train to Innsbruck Hbf.
Thanks for the replies above re parking.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-01-20 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Scamper, good info!
snow report
To be honest I was pretty sceptical that this latest storm would deliver much for Tyrol, but we've pleasantly surprised with snow down to the city (only a few cm and hasn't settled everywhere) and 20-30cms in the mountains. Maybe more at Nordkette - they kept most lifts closed today, but the upper couloirs were looking pretty special on the webcams.

Been a really busy week for both my gf and I so we weren't super motivated this weekend, but after a nice lie in today we decided to head over to Seefeld. We figured they'd maybe 10-15cm and we should get some nice powdery moguls as the pistes got chopped up, but didn't bother taking any avi kit as we were just planning to cruise.

Turned out more like 20-30cms on the mountain, and actually really nice conditions! There's still a lot less snow on the ground than usual for the time of year, so you have to watch out for sticks n stones in places you never normally would in January, but some really nice skiing on and to the sides of the pistes.

Weather varied from sun and really incredible light to very heavy snowfall:

And back to sun and amazing light again. One of the cool things about Seefeld is there are some really nice little piste-side pitches with zero chance of avalanche. My gf enjoying some of them (at about 3:30pm, not many people about!):

The main upper bowls looked REALLY nice too, though still quite bushy. Without having kit we didn't venture in - there would have been safe lines, but with some pretty complex terrain the consequences of a slide would be high - and tbh we weren't really in the mood for anything we needed to think about.

So overall a nice (and needed!) refresh for Tyrol, and there should be some really nice ski and touring conditions over the next few days!
ski holidays
@clarky999, nice. Also surprisingly good further east, with snowfall lasting late into the day and early evening.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, good to hear! I'm looking forward to skiing in Oberöstereich again, but not sure when it'll be yet.

Meanwhile, Nordkette was indeed looking fantastic when I work up this morning!

Should be petty deep up there. Unfortunately I'm in the office rolling eyes
ski holidays
Given the forecast I took yesterday off work - right decision!

Woke up to a few cms on the car in Innsbruck (nothing when I went to bed), and headed west with a friend.

Lots of fresh in Ischgl, and continued to snow hard all day. Was still dumping in the village when we left.

I'll post some photos later when I have time. In the meantime, here's a couple of videos from the 360 cam. One helmet mounted, one 'invisible selfie stick'. Not great as just a very quick edit and I'm still getting to grips with the camera and app, but hopefully shows the conditions at least:

http://youtube.com/v/e-ZumKpvQ58

http://youtube.com/v/nMdx0MBVCY8
latest report
looks incredible
snow report
Yeah looks super, @clarky999, what's the gig with the 360, you film and then choose the angle to actually watch afterwards?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy