Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2019/20 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Be careful if you're out this weekend. Lots of trigger-happy windslabs about.

Patrick makes a ski cut at Stubai: https://www.facebook.com/1139887500/videos/10220709981996329/

Nico at Obergurgl:

Lots more snow due at altitude over the weekend too, along with a fair bit of wind...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Resort opening update:

- Kühtai will open this Saturday 23rd Nov, and conditions look amazing!
- Axamer Lizum will open this Sat too

This is what the road to Kühtai looked like far to early on Monday morning when we tried to go skitouring:

Very wintery, very cold, lots of new snow to well below the resort (which is at 2020m). They currently report depths of 75cm in the village and 100cm on the mountain.

After failing to reach Kühtai we went to Lizum instead.

Just one valley over and it had rained to almost 2000m, but there's still loads of snow. Pistes were already prepped and skied pretty nicely, and we got some (pretty heavy tbh) fresh snow off the sides too.

This photo is from the bottom, almost by the car park. Full snow coverage on the whole mountain, deep enough to ski the trees (though the snow is v heavy). Official reports are 60cm at the bottom and 110cm on the mountain.

Obergurgl and the glaciers are obviously open too: Obergurgl reporting 105cm in the valley and 210cm up top; Stubai reporting 15cm and 145cm (which seems low to me) on Bergfex but 280cm up top on Facebook...

Ischgl will also open on the 28th (and looks pretty good: https://www.facebook.com/ischgl.paznaun/videos/2515838445365973/)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went out for my first ski tour of the season today. It was supposed to be sunny, but in the end only about about 1100m while the cloud hung about in the valley all day. We went to Schlick 2000 and walked up the blue piste from the base station (1000m) to the Panorama restaurant (2136m). Coverage was a bit thin at the bottom, but probably half a metre on the buildings at the top. Conditions could be best described as “crunchy” and we hoped it would soften up but it only really did below the mid station. It's a good job I don't have any fillings, because I think I would've lost them all on the way down Shocked

Here's a picture from the top:

I now have blisters on both feet and can hardly lift my legs. Walking further than the kitchen is likely to be beyond the realms of possibility tomorrow. My back aches too, so I got straight into a hot bath when I got home and then put my pyjamas on. It was 5.30pm. Rock and roll Laughing

Schlick opens on 30th November.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
I got straight into a hot bath when I got home and then put my pyjamas on. It was 5.30pm. Rock and roll

Hard core!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kudos to you both. Good to see some honest accounts of snow conditions also, making me drool a little less.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@8611, thanks!

Here's a little video from Monday's (mis)adventure. This was after the rain - snow's still pretty ok wink

http://youtube.com/v/s6AfU6qCGRw
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm trying to find the best way for friends to travel out in Jan. There are no direct flights from Belfast, so how good is public transport from Salzburg? It's either fly to Salzburg and train it, or 2 flights to fly into Innsbruck. Or technically I could drive to Salzburg to lift them, but... skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom Doc, there are hourly express trains from Salzburg to Innsbruck. You will need to get from the airport to the train station, there is a regular shuttle bus for this purpose. The trains are comfortable but you do really need to book seats, see https://www.oebb.at/en/.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve not done it myself, but I’ve had a look on the app (VVT smartride – free transport app) and it reckons that you take a bus from Salzburg airport to the Hauptbahnhof in Salzburg and then take a direct train to Innsbruck. It takes 2h15 and goes every hour, so that sounds pretty easy to me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tom Doc, easiest/cheapest is normally fly to MUC then myFlixBus to Innsbruck
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, great vid - are you editting them yourself? I assume you know your last vid made Morris' forecast, must be the first time I've seen content here before there!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@8611, thanks! This one not - my idea and plan, filmed and edited by Ash Wiggins (another Brit living in IBK), who we use for a lot of our filming at work.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys, I'll check out Munich too but easyJet have return Belfast to Salzburg flights for £45 at the minute. Hard to beat that!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flixbus seems to be about 19.99EUR each way, so just depends how that compares to the train, although I think having a quick browse that also seems similar.

Does seem as though the train Salzbury to Innsbruck is quicker than Flixbus from Munich, bus times are suggesting just over 3 hours, but I guess it depends on how quickly you can get between Salzburg airport and train station, realistically looks as though it's a similar journey.

So then as you say, it comes down to the cost of the flights. I like the idea of the train over a bus personally.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, The 2h15 I quoted above is the full journey time from Salzburg including the bus, so a bit quicker than Munich. The Flixbus also has the downside that it sits in Munich to Innsbruck traffic, which at times is not insignificant. I don't think either is particularly arduous though.
latest report
An easy decision in the end - it doesn't look like there are any direct Belfast to Munich flights, so Salzburg and train it is. If the train is only £20 ish then the return journey would only be about £85! Not incl any baggage.
snow conditions
There was a downpour in the city last night which means only one thing – powder day! The snow line is still quite high, so we needed to stay high and headed to Kühtai, which now has most lifts running. There was a bit of cloud sitting in the bottom, but we were mostly skiing in the lovely sunshine above it.

We were there quite early and found about 30cm fresh at the top of the lifts, down to about 15cm at the bottom. Not loads, but it mostly covered the windblast that had solidified beneath, at the top anyway. Lower down in the trees I kept bottoming out onto the hard stuff, but at least the rocks were reasonably well covered.

It stayed pretty cold up there today – I was skiing in a down jacket – which kept the new snow nice as fluffy all day. It's just a shame lots of people turned up and ruined it Confused

It currently looks like this:
latest report
Run up to Christmas = busy busy for me, so I only got out for a few laps at Lizum on Saturday.

There'd been 10-15cm of snow - enough for some nice turns off the sides in places; in others the old frozen snow underneath made its presence felt.

Snow on piste is firm but grippy. You definitely notice where it's artificial, but not ice or slippy patches.

The Kalkkögel looked fantastic with some really nice lines going down. Unfortunately I just didn't have time.

There's enough snow to ski all the way to the bottom without issue. In fact I skied right back to the car!

There's been a few more flakes since then, and it's currently drizzle and a bit graussig in the city. Next proper snow looks possible for early next week, but not confirmed.

Few pics:

Skiing right into the car park:

Cannons blowing on the top of Hoadl. Terrain off the back to Kemater Alm has a base but needs more snow really:

Good times in the Kalkkögel for someone:

snow report
Cheers for the reports @clarky999 and @Scarlet. I'm there 13th-16th December for a long weekender.
ski holidays
@MagSeven, hello! How are you and the family? I need another of your biking adventures to keep me entertained!
snow report
Hiya @Hurtle! We're very well thanks. We went on a family cycling tour around Lake Constance over the summer - lots of fun, but probably not worth writing a blog about! We're yet to get Felix on skis, that'll probably be next winter. We have another baby on the way, so skiing activities are curtailed this winter. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread. This Innsbruck trip is going to be my only skiing for the season so I'm hoping for good conditions!
latest report
@MagSeven, your blogs are so good, anything's worth writing about!
Keep well and happy, all of you.
Very Happy
snow conditions
@MagSeven, no worries, will be good to catch up again!

Stubai should be pretty good right now according to Paddy G (his pic below), and another 20cms or so is starting to show up on the cards for early next week.

Another dusting on the peaks around town yesterday/overnight too. Photo from James from planetski.eu, who just got back into town:

Meanwhile Kühtai was looking pretty fabulous first thing this morning (can't embed photo as it's 360°): https://www.facebook.com/Innsbruck/posts/3066991499995890
ski holidays
@clarky999, You've been getting up a bit early recently, is this a new habit? Might we get to go skiing before lunchtime this season? Laughing

@MagSeven, conditions are pretty good for the time of year, you should be fine snowHead
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I have, but that's from the webcam Wink
snow report
Any good places to ski tour at the moment? Kuhtai maybe?

Had to get rid of some holiday before the end of the year (use it or lose it) so have taken next week off.
Have already done 6 days piste skiing this year so want to get the touring skis out now although I don't want to trash the skis or my knees.

Another option is St Anton as they should be getting snow this week. If there's not enough snow for offpiste skiing is skinning up the side of the piste tollerated in St Anton? If not maybe Pettnau might be a better option.
Any other good resorts where you can skin up the piste and then stop for a beer at nice mountain huts before skiing down then repeating as necessary?
snow conditions
@DB, Loads of ski tourers at Kühtai as well as Axamer Lizum. There are plenty of just off the piste routes too. Both now have good piste coverage, but off-piste is better at Kühtai. That may have improved by next week though. Sorry, I'm not sure what the situation is at St Anton.
snow report
@DB, was at St Anton over the weekend. I saw a good number (perhaps 20 people) going up Valgefahr either at the side of the piste or just to the side of it (the lower part of the run is much narrower than normal, I guess to make to make better use of the snow machines). I saw some people elsewhere and a good few touring tracks off piste. I spotted a couple who had just skinned up to a minor peak high above Stuben under the Flexenbahn. There were folk outside the Galzig restaurant putting on skins etc. The Schindlergratbahn opened yesterday and clearly a good few people took advantage to ski the slopes in Schindlerkar, below the Schindler couloirs etc. That said the coverage is generally thin though the forecast seems to suggest lots of snow this week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, there's a bunch of fun terrain with more than enough snow for touring (and plenty of people doing it) in Kühtai, Axamer Lizum, Obergurgl, Stubai, etc. If you're on FB, you can get regular updates via this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/skitoureninnsbruck/. Zuckerhütl, Zischgeles, Glockturm, Wildspitze, and plenty of other big peaks have all been skied the last few days.

For Axamer Lizum, see the pic above with the skin track into the Kalkkögel. That area is an absolute gem for touring, but pretty tracked atm. Drips and drabs of new snow forecast this week though: https://www.bergfex.com/axamer-lizum/wetter/berg/

But honestly I think you can go pretty much anywhere and find something cool to do!
snow report
@Scarlet, @munich_irish & @clarky999 thanks for the feedback.
ski holidays
Snow overnight to just above the city. A dusting settled on grassy surfaces in the city, but real snowline was 6-700m. Currently rain trying to (occasionally succeeding) turn to snow in the city.

Fresh snow at Hungerburg will be nice for the Christmas Markets this evening:

Hard to tell what's going on higher up at Nordkette, other than that it's snowing:

Axamer Lizum is completely socked in and -10°C at the top.

Meanwhile in Seefeld the snow has already passed, and it looks pretty magical now the sun's starting to come out:

Should be some more snow coming in later this week/weekend too.
snow report
Snowing down to city level here (around 560m). Started around 7:45am and now a few cms have settled on the ground down here. Seems to be snowing lightly at most of the ski areas too.
latest report
Yesterday morning I skinned up the piste at Axamer Lizum. With the fresh snow, it was much grippier than last time, though we spoke to a guy who was working on the piste for the GS training that was going on at the same time and he said it was a bit soft! Laughing

We stopped for a coffee at Hoadl and then as my friend is still a beginner on skis, skied slowly down the same blue run which was in pretty nice condition (I think they must've had a basher out after the racers had finished). Quick exchange of her skis for a snowboard, chucked the skins in the car, grabbed my helmet and back up on the lifts for a couple of runs off-piste we'd been scouting on the walk up. There was about 30cm fresh snow near the top and 15cm towards the bottom, though the trees were pretty tracked by the time we got to them.

We stayed in the area looker's left of the train where you had to watch for big rocks but the small ones were covered. The other side had some tracks but we decided it needed a bit more snow before we'd bother.

Currently snowing steadily at village level but there's only a couple of cm so far. I have to go out shortly so I'll see what it's really like.
ski holidays
After a Christmas party went waaay over the top on Friday Saturday was a write off for me. Feeling the need for some exercise without thinking on Sunday, we went for a 'almost by the piste' skin up Seefeld to get the blood pumping before a few piste laps.

Snow was really good, nice and grippy even on fat skis. Only noticed a couple of patches of artificial snow. Snow all the way to the bottom and into the village.

Almost as many people skinning up as skiing down. Was amused to get a few compliments on my uphill condition given my still-fragile state Laughing

Enough snow to ski right back the car again:

Went for a wander (and some melted cheese goods) round the Christmas markets after. Spotted a few absolute monstrosities in the shops (which I suppose gives a clue as to the Seefeld clientele!):

Plenty of snow in the village, and cold enough the entire lake had frozen over:

-----------

All change today though with the föhn! +14°C when I went to the gym at 6:30 (am!)!

---------

Also two ice climbers were caught and buried in an avalanche in the Kalkkögel today. Very steep terrain... But luckily both survived, after being found by an avi dog:

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3026514/

[img]https://oekastatic.orf.at/mims/2019/51/96/crops/w=1280,q=70,r=1/404527_bigpicture_132596_dl-lawine-lizum-00038031-002.jpg[/img]
snow report
@clarky999, You didn't miss much on Saturday – I was out less than two hours before packing it in because of the wind. Hopefully this weekend will be a bit better.

PS. Why are you looking at onesies for small people? Shocked
latest report
Holy Be Nice please! it's windy! Föhn blowing a full-on rager today. Most lifts shut pretty much everywhere - other than Kühtai, which is almost 100% open.

Tomorrow I fly back to the UK for Christmas, but skiing looks like it should be good for anyone heading out over the holidays with around a metre of snow forecast over much of Tirol.

Ps @Scarlet, not looking at onesies for anyone of any size, just amused that anywhere stocks Moncler and Dolce & Gabbana onesies for kids!
ski holidays
@clarky999, only the top lifts off in the Arlberg today
ski holidays
Sleep took my morning, but I did manage to get to Axamer Lizum before noon on the first day the sun came out after several days of storms. Birgitzköpfl chair was open which has some nice trees and the bonus that it’s the only bit of the mountain that gets any sun, so I stayed there. There weren’t many people about, which suggested they were all rammed in at Hoadl as the carpark was full.

The obvious lines had already been taken, but a bit further over there was still plenty of untouched snow, a few fallen trees and a fence to navigate, under about 40cm of fresh powder. All good fun. Toofy Grin

More snow tomorrow then a few days of sun. Cool
latest report
I'm heading to Innsbruck on Saturday, flying into Salzburg. I think I read on here somewhere that the train is an easy way to get from Salzburg to Innsbruck, am I right? And if so is it worth booking in advance or does it not matter? I've been looking on oebb.at, is this the correct website?
snow conditions
@Tom Doc, yes it’s an easy direct train ride. If you book in advance you can book a seat which is nice. Oebb.at is the right website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy