Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2019/20 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
And so it begins! Glacier season, anyway.

Autumn has been muscling in and making its presence felt that last few days, and the glaciers are now picking up the first snow falls.

Stubai is scheduled to open on the 15th, though that's definitely not a fixed date and will depend on snow.

All the Tirolean glaciers look like getting 30-40cm through this weekend, which should help preparations to get at least the pistes in skiing shape.

Few photos from Stubai's Facebook:

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stubai will open this Friday, 13th Sept, and are reporting 55cms of snow on the mountain.

Open Lifts:
- 3S Eisgratbahn I+II
- Gamsgarten cable car II
- Rotadl chairlift to the Daunferner and back
- T-Bar lift Daunferner II

Open slopes:

Bottom station:

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Innsbruck Nordkette right now: https://www.facebook.com/Innsbruck/videos/1482854215205338/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 9-09-19 15:18; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, Judging by your footwear selection, it almost looks like you went up the mountain not expecting to find any snow wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, something like that (well, straight from the office). I was a little worried about stacking it while live!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, “Innsbruck Tourism first face plant of the season – Live!” Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, thinking about it cynically, probably would've helped views and engagement Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Today Stubai and Sölden both opening a few lifts. With Hintertux already open, that's three Tyrolean glacier resorts open for skiing now.

A friend of mine made a 360° video of the lifts from Innsbruck city centre to the top of Nordkette:

http://youtube.com/v/cj9kZnavrT4

Not at all wintery, but pretty cool and maybe interesting for some.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently snowing up on the glaciers and higher resorts...

Ischgl:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like a sharp drop in temperature on Wednesday/Thursday, and more snow for the glaciers - maybe 20cms or so.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A dusting to fairly low altitudes last night.

See Nordkette here: https://www.bergfex.com/innsbruck-nordkette/webcams/c9207/

And Stubaier Glacier: https://www.bergfex.com/stubaier-gletscher/webcams/c586/

Looks like another 10-20cm coming over the weekend too (just as I head off to somewhere warm with waves to prolong summer a bit).

Here also is the official announcement of the new SKI plus CITY pass:

http://youtube.com/v/WHdJkzLIzcI

Basically it's a combo of a ski pass and city card, includes 13 resorts around IBK (inc Stubai glacier from now onwards) and a whole bunch of city attractions.

Should be pretty cool for people doing ski + city break type weekends and so on (especially with the Christmas Markets coming up).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back from the warm waters of Sri Lanka just in time for a quick trip to the Caribbean of the (Julian) Alps just before it got cold:

And now, snowing at:

1. Nordkette: https://sts106.feratel.co.at/streams/stsstore102/1/05645_5db94f9d-02a0Vid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTP_bergfex.at
2. Stubai: https://sts004.feratel.co.at/streams/stsstore001/1/05710_5db951d4-e325Vid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTP_bergfex.at
3. Axamer Lizum: https://sts110.feratel.co.at/streams/stsstore102/1/05511_5db94fae-2074Vid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTP_bergfex.at

And down to even lower levels further East, at Wurzeralm: https://sts003.feratel.co.at/streams/stsstore005/1/25062_5db950cc-21aeVid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTP_bergfex.at

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My thermometer took a reading at 29C outside on Saturday. Now it's snowing up the hill. It's the exact opposite of what happens in spring when it goes from arctic to equator in a matter of hours. Bonkers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
29c? I was in berlin at the weekend and it got noticeably colder on the Sunday. No hills unfortunately.
ski holidays
@8611, Berlin is a fair bit further north. Sunday was cooler though, 26.5C. It is now 8C.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, 2C here
ski holidays
Obergurgl prepping hard for Nov 14th opening:

Bergfex calling for around 50cm of natural snow there this week too, similar for Stubai, and also 20-30 at Kühtai, Axamer Lizum, etc, with snowline dropping below 1000m at times.

Seems like Stubai is getting into better shape too: https://www.facebook.com/stubai.tirol/videos/781857095567473/

Though a friend who's been working up there says it's been pretty poor/ice fest so far.
latest report
Fair bit of new snow around today.

Westendorf:

Seefeld:

snow conditions
quick reply to keep an eye on this thread! Working in Heidelberg, 16,17th Dec, skiing 18, 19th 20th then flying back from Munich so will be watching this thread with interest Smile
ski holidays
Also watching with interest - have reserved a hotel room in Innsbruck for February but not yet mentioned this to my other half Laughing so waiting until the case is compelling before I do (amazing snow conditions, cheap flights...)
snow report
Went up to Stubai on Sunday for my first turns of the season. As the first clear day after a fair bit of snow unsurprisingly it was very busy, but the snow was actually in pretty good condition. As ever at this time of year the slopes from the Rotadl chair (far right of the piste map, and the other side of the ridge in the second pic below) were in the best condition - chalky and grippy - while some of the others were a bit too hard and scraped off for my tastes.

A few eager beavers had put in some pretty ballsy lines for the snow depths... Some of the more intelligently-chosen looked pretty nice, but most showed a looooot of rocks left in their wake (and a few had obviously climbed back up rather than continue).

However with another metre or so of snow forecast for this weekend, much of the offpiste should come into play - with obvious caveats re. cravassed areas!

A few phone pics:

ski holidays
Today it's raining pretty good in the city, but snowing in the mountains and down as far as Hungeburg (bottom of the Nordkette ski lifts) - was falling as snowflakes on my bedroom window this morning but immediately melting.

Axamer Lizum bottom station (inc. ski tourer tracks):

Meanwhile the Christmas Markets will open in Innsbruck this Friday:

http://youtube.com/v/9v6xKBxHzZg
latest report
Just looked out the window and the snow is coming down really heavily. There was none at all about two hours ago, but there’s a good covering now here at 600m Shocked The base should be building nicely higher up Very Happy
snow conditions
The snow has eased off a bit now, but it's still going. Builders working on the house next door laid the turf in the back yard yesterday. Better than trying to find the ground today, I guess Laughing

Axamer Lizum have just announced that they're intending to open a week ahead of schedule, on 23rd November. I suspect some of the other local areas will follow suit. Obergurgl opens this weekend.
snow report
Solden might have done quite well out of the recent storms!!

snow report
Turned the ripe old age of 30 yesterday (HTF did that happen?!), and given the forecast took the day off work. Snow started settling on our bedroom window in Innsbruck the night before, so a powder skitour seemed the best way to slide in to my old age. 10cms on the balcony when I woke up in the morning.

Snowed all day pretty much everywhere, but the most in the south (glacial valleys like Stubai and Ötztal). Needing trees for visibility limited the options of where to go, but when I saw Elferbahnen (by Neustift in Stubaital) hadn't turned their cannons on yet, that settled the question.

Pulling into the car park there was easily 50cms of new snow, and at the end of the day I could ski right back to the car without touching the bottom once.

Going uphill was pretty hard - two guys before me had set a skin track, but it was still pretty soft and wallowing.

On the mountain easily a metre up top, maybe more. Kinda too much snow for the gradient - the other two before me on skinny touring skis had to ski straight back down the skin track as they couldn't keep any momentum up.

I had more luck, but it was still an exercise in keeping momentum rather than turning much! That's a problem I'm quite happy to accept at this time of year though Wink

Little video, starting to get the hang of the 360 cam (Insta360 One X if you're wondering):

http://youtube.com/v/Ottao_6hBgo

Looks like a whole bunch more snow to come again this weekend, again mostly in the south. 1-2 metres for Obergurgl (opens today) and Stubai?!?! We'll see... Axamer also have loads of snow, and are planning to open on 23rd Nov. Kühtai also looks in great shape, but I'm not sure yet if they'll open early or wait for the scheduled opening on the 29th.
snow conditions
@clarky999, Nice one.....good camera work too, interesting that. Hope my birthday end December has similar freshies...wish I was 30 btw! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, happy Birthday! Nice way to celebrate!
ski holidays
@clarky999, I forgot we shared a birthday. Great way to spend it, I was just happy it wasn’t raining here.

Wait until those bigger numbers creep up on you. But until then, enjoy
snow conditions
@clarky999, you must be the youngest person on snowheads!

Can I ask how that camera works, I can't see the selfie stick and it seems to be further away from you than a standard selfie pole?
snow report
@8611, a 360 degree camera with auto stitching so it removes the pole.
latest report
8611 wrote:
@clarky999, you must be the youngest person on snowheads!

Can I ask how that camera works, I can't see the selfie stick and it seems to be further away from you than a standard selfie pole?

Nope.....
ski holidays
He probably was once! Laughing
snow report
@nozawaonsen, @ster, thanks! (and to you too!)

@8611, it's one of these: https://www.insta360.com/product/insta360-onex

You can do some pretty cool stuff with it. I've got loads of footage I still need to cut together properly, but here's a super quick clip I filmed with it at a reforestation project in Nepal my business helps: https://www.facebook.com/BAMWOObamboo/videos/2466995873625257/

And photos: https://www.facebook.com/BAMWOObamboo/photos/a.243158902852443/685078708660458/?type=3&theater
latest report
keeping a very close eye on Sölden as now confirmed a works trip mid Dec. All I've done so far is booked a late flight back on Fri 20th and a hotel in Friedrichshafen on Tues 17th Dec, (which is 3-4 hours drive from my work meeting) so 3 days of skiing to be had I hope!

they are reporting 191cm on the glacier, 77cm in Gaislachkogl and 15cm in the village!
snow report
@kitenski, What's wrong with Saturday and Sunday? wink
snow conditions
Well the overnight fohn has taken all the low snow and exposed a lot of rock. Stubai is closed today. More wind forecast tomorrow, so that might not be the best plan even if they do open. Having been blown over in the wind on a slope last season, it's not something I'm in a hurry to repeat Confused
latest report
@Markymark29, family time!!
latest report
@kitenski, ski time Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy