Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
I've just had my first trip down the updated funicular. Standing right at the front looking down. It's magnificent. I would recommend just taking a ride on it. It is much better than the vanoise express
Did you play with the controls?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

They didn't work Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
I've just had my first trip down the updated funicular. Standing right at the front looking down. It's magnificent. I would recommend just taking a ride on it. It is much better than the vanoise express

I was very confused by the controls which kept disappearing until I discovered they have only fitted them to one of the cars. BtW the new funicular seems to be a triumph of design over function - those of you who have travelled in it will know what I mean. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So a slightly alcohol influenced report of todays activities - Left the appartment with internet reports of many closed lifts and warm conditions but soon realised how much nonsense that was. Had an awesome morning in champagne (or at the very least prosecco) powder in 1600 before jumping on Arpette to cross into the bowl where some of the party departed for the itinerary off the back of Col de la Chal. The avi prediction was marginal so I opted for more off piste in 2000 and then off to PV for tree skiing. All still superb conditions and quiet (it was lunch time). Eventually the legs (and joints and core and hair roots) started to complain so headed back via Malgoverts for beers in Christophe's - a thoroughly acceptable way to spend the day in my view Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowheid, where is Christophe's?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all,

I arrived to Les-Arcs 2000 on Tuesday night (during the storm!)
Yesterday was a very short day, since they opened only one lift here, and the road to 1600 was closed in the morning.
Today was a great day! We skied to 1600, 1800, PV, and back to 2000.
A short question: is it possible to get onto the funicular with skis?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
postai wrote:
A short question: is it possible to get onto the funicular with skis?

With them on your feet no.

Carrying them, yes!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@postai, if you ski down Granges (not yet open) it's the normal means of recovery.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@snowheid, where is Christophe's?

It is called Charly's - owned by Christophe but named after his son. Small coffee shop/bar next to Polaire Star at the bottom Funi station. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowheid, thank you.

I'm on the first funicular of the day heading home. The reason for the early start is that sncf have cancelled our train. However they run a bus service to chambery at 8.40 in the morning so we are on that.

We have had an excellent 11 days skiing and are now exhausted. For the first time in years I've been able to ski pretty hard all day thanks to the ski mojo I bought at Christmas. If you have knee problems I recommend them.

For those interested in the conditions it is drizzling at the moment
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@postai, there are hoards of skiers on the funicular with skis every morning come g up from bourg in the morning and returning I the evening
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Les Arcs - anyone done a 'click and collect' grocery shop from the Super U in Bourg? I've created an A/C with them for our March trip to Les Arcs without any issues - but know historically they wouldn't 'play' with UK (non French) credit card holders. Just wondering if there are any experiences out there before I start building our shopping list - just looking to maximise ski time on the Saturday we arrive...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So the day has finally arrived, catching the over night train for an early morning arrival tomorrow.

We arrive around 6am, how long do we need to wait for the funicular to open? Also, our lift passes don't activate until 12:30 so I guess we need to pay for the funicular, but how would we get to our resort in 2000? Or would it be best to contact the ski pass office today and see if we can add an extra half day?

Quite strong winds are predicted for our first few days so I imagine a lot of 2000 will be closed, where would be best to go on days like this? My ski partner has never been to les arcs and when I came my wife was pregnant so we didn't venture far.

Thank you
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RustyT, getting the bus to 1600 is probably your best bet then make your way along to 1800 and vallandry keeping as low as possible. There are lots of excellent reds and a couple of sheltered blacks to keep you entertained
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RustyT, first funicular is at 07:30 with the bus to 2000 leaving at 07:45. Plenty of time to make the connection at the top (turn left out of the funi station to the bus stops - and check you are getting on the 2000 bus: the 1800 leaves at the same time from the same spot...)
These inter-village navettes are free (all week) but the funi will cost you. A return will let you travel back the following week.

See https://en.lesarcs.com/funicular/fares.html for timetable and prices.

[if] there is not much open, AND you have an afternoon pass, you can always try to be super-sweet to the lift pass office, and they may give you a 'freebie' for a couple of hours to take you to 12:30. No harm asking - Mrs Roll did just that over Christmas when we were skiing on A La Carte, which is a day-by-day system, and we ended up with a half day pass for free (shh).

Or if really desperate, you can ski from 2000 down to Pre St Esprit, and get the bus (see above - free) back to 2000

They also do, for St Jacques lift, a PAYG option: buy a carnet of x uplilfts, and hand one in each time you use it. t's not the greatest lift, or the greatest ski area access ( it's really for beginners) but it may assuage your appetite until 12:30!

Alternatively, if the weather is that bad that they don't want to open, it may be that you don't want to go out in it anyway...
ski holidays
OK -so today was very odd for the time of year. Started with rain and no viz which cleared by 10 to a bluebird day (mostly) but the temperatures rocketed with devastating consequences to the snow pack. We went to Varet more in hope than expectation but after a half hour wait it opened and we got one of the first cabins up with a result that we had fresh tracks down Lanches - crusty but ok to ski and some nice deep powder fields in places. Did another lap with more fresh tracks in the off piste but after that we reckoned we had done the best of it and hot choc stop ensued - think Varet closed again soon after as the snow pack was getting really dodgy from the high temps so we went back over the ridge and found everything from top of Derby down was getting very soft and slow. Did find the odd pocket of fresh but after lunch it was a case of abandon ship so back to 1600 and one last lap of Mont Blanc - looking like the cover is disappearing at a rate of knots so afraid all you on your way out can expect mainly spring snow conditions for a few days and I wouldn't even think about the off piste. Saw a number of big slides all over resort this afternoon.
Tomorrow is looking like morning is best so make the most of it. Very Happy
snow report
snowheid wrote:
OK -so today was very odd for the time of year. Started with rain and no viz which cleared by 10 to a bluebird day (mostly) but the temperatures rocketed with devastating consequences to the snow pack. We went to Varet more in hope than expectation but after a half hour wait it opened and we got one of the first cabins up with a result that we had fresh tracks down Lanches - crusty but ok to ski and some nice deep powder fields in places. Did another lap with more fresh tracks in the off piste but after that we reckoned we had done the best of it and hot choc stop ensued - think Varet closed again soon after as the snow pack was getting really dodgy from the high temps so we went back over the ridge and found everything from top of Derby down was getting very soft and slow. Did find the odd pocket of fresh but after lunch it was a case of abandon ship so back to 1600 and one last lap of Mont Blanc - looking like the cover is disappearing at a rate of knots so afraid all you on your way out can expect mainly spring snow conditions for a few days and I wouldn't even think about the off piste. Saw a number of big slides all over resort this afternoon.
Tomorrow is looking like morning is best so make the most of it. Very Happy
would you say the majority of the fresh snow has gone already then?
snow report
Quote:

would you say the majority of the fresh snow has gone already then?

So: what elevation; south facing/North? Busy/quiet? Man made snow supported? Piste/O.P.? How would you answer that??? - yes . . . err, or . . . No.
FYI - bottom of Morey, as an eg - bare patches appearing again = most of recent snow defunct.
Top of Derby for eg. probably slight improvement - cooler, higher, so lasted longer - but depthwise - how-do-you-tell?
snow report
@winterstickboarder, still some powder high on the Rouge but you won't be able to get to it as the top lifts won't be open. Sunday looking utterly miserable with a lot of rain and FL over 2400m.
Looks at present like the cold returns next Tuesday (but very windy) and so you could get good conditions from Weds onwards but like any forecast more than 3 days out I wouldn't count on it.
snow conditions
It appears that 2 people were caught in an avalanche in the grand col area. They escaped unhurt
ski holidays
Weather is weather. If I was going out I'd be looking forward to some good piste skiing in the trees for a few days followed by a couple of excellent powder days.

Glass is half full people wink Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Hi, can anyone help?

I am looking for a pvt instructor for a group of 6 children. English speaking and ideally a lady (but by no means has to be)

Starting Sunday 1/3. Ideally ~9:30 starts. 6 Half days. From arc 1950.

The kids are 5g, 6b, 8b, 8g, 8g , 9b. They all have either a week or two weeks skiing behind them.

Have tried the links at the start of this blog but with no luck.

Any ideas hugely appreciated.
ski holidays
@Tjp58001, try https://www.sianski.com
snow conditions
@Tjp58001, we used Julien Cormons from ESF 2000 a few times for private lessons with our kids, both skis and boarding. They loved him. We spoke to ESF direct to sort. Usually the instructors are booked with classes till late morning.
ski holidays
Thanks for the recommendation of Sian. Have tried her but she is booked. Have a call in with the ski school. Waiting for them to call me back thanks.
latest report
Arrived at 13.00, on the slopes at Peisey-Vallandry by 14.30. Currently raining in resort but is turning to snow after about 200m up the chairlift. Anyone arriving don't be worried by the lack of snow up to the resort. Plenty on the pistes. Spring skiing conditions from my short time out. Quite slushy down the bottom and the odd icy patch at the top. For hardcore skiers I can see why they are moaning, but for anyone just looking for a good week then don't worry at all it is great! Due a lot of rain tomorrow/snow up top, but snow due everywhere on Tuesday so looking good. Don't panic!
snow report
@winterstickboarder, hardcore skiers ski on anything and never complain about the conditions
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@winterstickboarder, hardcore skiers ski on anything and never complain about the conditions
just trying to reassure people that it's not all doom and gloom
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, @Alastair, @johnE
Thanks!

I would also like to try my luck here: my friend has injured and is going back tomorrow. We booked a transfer to GVA on Wednesday, 5:00am for 200 euros. Is there someone that would like to join me to share the cost? Alternatively, can I join someone else (and share the cost)?
snow report
@postai, is your friend being transfered to the airport by ambulance tomorrrow? I hope it is not too serious

What do you get for 200 euros? The train cost us < 25 euros each but it did take some time (mainly it seems because SNCF cut costs when they do not expect many pasengers by simply canceling the trains - much like eurotunnel and some airlines)
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@postai, is your friend being transfered to the airport by ambulance tomorrrow? I hope it is not too serious

No, he will get a taxi. He broke his wrists (both hands!)

johnE wrote:

What do you get for 200 euros? The train cost us < 25 euros each but it did take some time (mainly it seems because SNCF cut costs when they do not expect many pasengers by simply canceling the trains - much like eurotunnel and some airlines)

A transfer for 2 or 3 (with luggage) from arcs 2000 directly to GVA. I need to be there for my flight at 11:00. I don’t think I can do it by train.
ski holidays
@postai, two broken wrists - that is bad. I had a friend who broke both elbows. He couldn't work for 6 weeks and had to get his mum to wipe his bottom.

I thought a taxi to the airport would be more than 200. A taxi to bourg from 2000 would be 60ish. There is a very early train but that would need a taxi down the hill so not much of a saving.
ski holidays
Just back from another great week in Bourg/Les Arcs. For the first few days (Sat-Mon) the pistes (and off-piste which was piste-like and quieter) were in great condition for carving skis. Then the storms came and dumped a lot of snow - so it was onto the wider skis. A couple of days in Val where the skiing was limited but the trees were good and then back to Les Arcs for Thurs and Fri. Fabulous snow the best of which we found off Droset and under the Varet bubble. Hi Avalanche risk should have deterred everyone from going far off-piste, but dangerous slopes such as off the Aiguille Grive had tracks and lots of slides. On Friday, Varet opened late morning (allowing a couple of circuits on the blacks under it) but then closed after a couple of hours (as was Grand Col). Surprised they opened it at all if they were concerned about avalanches - and it was VERY warm up there (+8C at Varet). Glad there were no major incidents. For those who are based or stay in Bourg a couple of comments. What has happened to Le Refuge on the Grand Rue? We have been going there for dinner for umpteen years and it has been consistently excellent. This year the restaurant has changed for the worse - half the tables have gone to be replaced by what looks like a gift shop and the menu was extremely limited. We'll be going somewhere else next year. Finally to end on a high, we always rent our skis from the Intersport next to the Super U in Bourg and have always found them to be good. This year they excelled themselves with no problem changing skis midweek when the snow conditions changed so markedly. By booking online in advance I paid less than 60 Euros for 7 days for their gold pack. Hope the weather cools down soon for those of you out there - was more like skiing in April on Thursday and Friday.
snow report
Here now staying in 2000, what's the best way to get to 1800 and back in the evening?

I read online the transarc cable cars plus arcabulle but the yuge app is saying that the transarc is shut

TIA
ski holidays
RustyT wrote:
Here now staying in 2000, what's the best way to get to 1800 and back in the evening?

I read online the transarc cable cars plus arcabulle but the yuge app is saying that the transarc is shut

TIA

Not easily if you don’t have your own transport. Bus to 1600, then bus to 1800. Check the last times they run.
latest report
Absolutely chucked it down with rain today up to about 2200m. Thoroughly drenched by mid afternoon but the pistes held up well considering. Bit slushy at the bottom and a bit of powder at the top but the snow turned very sticky mid afternoon above 2000m. Weather looking much better for the rest of the week. Just want to second the point that Intersport are great. Very happy with hire equipment and a great service in shop.
snow report
Hi All, So we just got back from our first trips to Les Arcs, and firstly I want to say thanks to everyone here who helped and gave advice, it all worked and made for a mega trip. Only downside was when picking up the car from Sixt at Geneva french sector we were advised it did not have winter tyres, so had to pay 22.99 Euro a day for winter tyres, no where on there site does it even give an option for winter tyres for the car class i chose.

Anyhow the drive to Les Arcs was pretty straight forward, out through the centre of Geneva avoiding any tolls, then down to Les Arcs via Annecy, came the same way back. As people recommended 1800 was the prefect place to stay, after the snowfall we were able to get out ride around 1800, PV, etc. Then on to 2000 when it opened up. Parking in the underground car park was nice and easy and ment the car didn't need digging out.

We much preferred the area to Morzine/Avoriaz where we have been going for years, Les Arcs really had it all, great tree lines, great off piste, longer pistes, a good park but that drag lift is way too long. Only thing we noticed was its pretty quiet in the evenings and certain eateries close quiet early. Any how, we would pick Les Arcs 1800 over Avoriaz, and we will probably come back next year.

Again thanks to everyone that helped and answered my questions, Jay
snow conditions
@dogsheds, future lesson. Always hire from Swiss side. Winter tyres included.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
...future lesson. Always hire from Swiss side. Winter tyres included.
+1.

IME, cars from the Swiss side will often have a set of chains in the boot (in addition to the mandatory winter tyres), regardless of whether you pay for them. The slightly cheaper prices on the French side can sometimes prove to be false economy.

@dogsheds, glad you enjoyed your stay in Les Arcs, it has a lot to offer.
snow conditions
@dogsheds, probably heresy to say it here, but I never bother with winter tyres and on dozens of trips to les arcs have only used chains twice. Chains are obiligory winter tyres are not
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy