Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
It’s absolutely chucking it down with snow. Hasn’t stopped since last night.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wind, fine snow & masses & masses of people at the Vallandry lift!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in Arc 2000 and this might be the first ever day on a ski trip where I've not skied! I want to get out despite the atrocious weather but only marmottes is open I believe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have called it a day already. The new snow and the increased density of skiers on the lower slopes has made the pistes very lumpy, which in turn recks my knees. Better to save them for another day.

It is still snowing but there is not much of an accumulation here in 1600
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aleutian wrote:
I'm in Arc 2000 and this might be the first ever day on a ski trip where I've not skied! I want to get out despite the atrocious weather but only marmottes is open I believe.

Your only option if running is the bus to 1600 but it does get busy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Might see if I can get a refund for today or piste closure insurance, but I'm pretty sure the fact that a handful of lifts/runs are open will mean no payout
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What sort of winds does the VE close in? Looks like La plagne has a lot more lifts open!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aleutian wrote:
Thanks. Might see if I can get a refund for today or piste closure insurance, but I'm pretty sure the fact that a handful of lifts/runs are open will mean no payout

Yeah, you've got no chance. On the plus side the piste and off piste should be fantastic when it's done dumping.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know what the roads will be like? Flight is Thursday AM so getting a little concerned about our transfer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tordi wrote:
Anyone know what the roads will be like? Flight is Thursday AM so getting a little concerned about our transfer.

Forecast is for the snow/winds to ease off tomorrow and some sunny spells AM Thursday so should all be clear and good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is using Bergfex as a guide - the forecast 48 hours hence should be pretty accurate.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the 2000 road is currently closed 'until further notice' looking at facebook, but I'd imagine they will have it open again if not this afternoon/evening then by tomorrow
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tordi, the main road in 1600 is clear. The minor roads are being ploughed regularly. I doubt if you will even need chains. The zero isotherm is about 1500m at the moment and is forecast to rise.

However the road to 2000 is another realm.

It looks as if lots of people have given up for the day already. The bars in 1600 are full.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:

It looks as if lots of people have given up for the day already. The bars in 1600 are full.

I've seen quite a few apparently give up for the week, heading out with cases Shocked .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair wrote:
johnE wrote:

I've seen quite a few apparently give up for the week, heading out with cases Shocked .
is it really that bad? I thought it eased off after today!
latest report
@Alastair, I think a lot of people have come only for a long weekend. It looks as if the days of the Saturday to Saturday trips are numbered
latest report
@johnE, you could well be right.
ski holidays
I'd imagine that with the rise of Air BnB its a lot easier to come out for shorter trips now
latest report
Great powder day today in 1600. 9 laps of Cachette before the body said 'no more'. Started with the off piste beside rouelles for a couple of laps (had a play in the bumps but not the best as a warm up) - quite heavy powder and difficult to spot the drifts in poor viz.
Rest of day spent on Arrolles which was ideal given the wind direction and most of the time reasonable viz in the trees.
Wind and snow really kicked in around 1pm so the few souls following rule 5 had the mountain to ourselves.
Tomorrow looks similar but with easing winds the lifts over the ridge may open Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowheid, well done. I only managed combettes and vezelle. Even then thought the conditions terrible.

As an aside I have noticed that the sign for the violettes piste has been taken down
latest report
@snowheid, that’s my plan on days like today. Nice to hear that you had a good one, despite having to work the weather.
ski holidays
What a great day! The POWER is back and there is loads of it!!!

After another 10 days of mostly firm chalky snow on almost all pistes and off piste areas it was great today to be up on the mountain in knee deep powder. The official depth was 18cm's, but allowing for wind drift as it has been very windy, in places the snow was well above our knees which was great.

Yesterday we were on the North Face of the Bellecote on firm chalky snow, today we were in the forests in the powder. I do love the different options we have for all conditions in the Paradiski area!

Today we covered all the forest areas of Arc 1600, 1800 and Peisey Vallandry. None of the connecting lifts to Arc 2000 were open, but this did not spoil the fun.

We even stopped off for a late lunch at the Folie Douce today. The self service was very good and reasonably priced. A great place to chill out after a hard ski in the powder in the warm.

It is snowing again tonight up on the mountain so we are hoping for more great powder tomorrow, just please not to windy!

I have posted a mix of the past few days photos over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Update: For anyone using the Funicular between Bourg and Arc 1600 during the next two days. They will be working each evening to improve fixtures inside, but it should not effect the running during the day the lift company has stated. However the evening and early morning timetable has been adjusted so you need to check with lift office if this will effect your plans.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 28-01-20 23:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Still snowing hard in 1950. Our apartment is nearly disappearing under the white stuff. No skiing today.
snow conditions
It has snowed steadily all night, but the visibility still doesn't look great so I suspect we'll have another late start today. I have real problems skiing in poor visibility

Yuge is reporting that more will be open today so we must get out and explore.
snow report
Can anyone advise what is the best app/website for live piste/lift openings and closes. Les Arcs net seems to be a bit behind.
snow report
winterstickboarder wrote:
Can anyone advise what is the best app/website for live piste/lift openings and closes. Les Arcs net seems to be a bit behind.

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

or the 'Yuge' app
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

or the 'Yuge' app
thanks a lot!
snow report
I use the yuge app
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road to 2000 is currently closed. Only marmottes is open up here apparently but it's not worth doing given the business and queue. A lot of people waiting for the bus to 1600 which *might* be running soon. Probably going to be a second day of zero skiing though.
ski holidays
@Aleutian, I'd still prefer to be in your position than in my office Smile
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:

+1
snow conditions
only 1 more day before I go though Very Happy
ski holidays
We skied across from 1600 to the vallandry and are now sitting in the vanoise hotel having lunch.

Roast rack of lamb + veg gratin is 14 euros - excellent value

It is still snowing, the visibility is poor at the top but ok at the bottom. The pistes are lumpy and painfull on my poor knees. They are, however, relatively quiet and every lift we have taken has had no one in front of us.

I wish I was fitter.
ski holidays
Snow is over halfway up the lounge window. Wind is less but still moving the top surface a little. Visibility a little better as we can see up to 2000. Given the reports of Q s at Marmottes, it is likely to be another day in. We understand George (George's wine bar) couldn't get down to the village last night so it was closed.
ski holidays
Quote:
We understand [...]George's wine bar[...],was closed.

Now that IS a disaster when you're locked in for the day and night. wink
snow conditions
Another great POW WOW DER day in 1600 trees and PV.
First lift job today and well worth dragging myself into the land of the living before 10am.
At least a foot of powder and some deep drifts. Could have been colder and still a stiff breeze blowing but had some superb first tracks in the tree run over to the Mont Blanc piste from Arolles. Also fresh tracks down the off piste by Rouelles.
AT PV had lunch at Mont Blanc bar but viz was getting very poor after lunch and legs had had enough so back for beers at Charley's.
The link lifts to 2000 should open tomorrow but FL is predicted 2100 so powder may get quite heavy. Expect Varet to be jammed. Doubt top of the Rouge will open for another day or two.
ski holidays
[list=][/list]
wills_h wrote:

Haha, I know. Ended up getting the bus down to 1600 at 1pm when it finally started running and had a fun afternoon playing in the deep stuff until 5 Very Happy
latest report
Aleutian wrote:
[list=][/list]
wills_h wrote:

Haha, I know. Ended up getting the bus down to 1600 at 1pm when it finally started running and had a fun afternoon playing in the deep stuff until 5 Very Happy

Think of your worst day in work and it doesn’t come close to how bad mine was. Enjoy the snow.
ski holidays
I've just had my first trip down the updated funicular. Standing right at the front looking down. It's magnificent. I would recommend just taking a ride on it. It is much better than the vanoise express
snow report
@johnE, Yep. Love my trains and front of funi now a pretty special train ride.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy