Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:
Layne wrote:
I would say that "grimness" is manna from heaven especially for all the half termers.

Bring it on surely....
half term is wc 17th right?

1/2 term is most of February as you have to factor in other countries school holidays?
I'm heading out on 1st as I think that week was the only week in Feb that didn't have a half term during that period!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Half term goes from the 8th feb to 7th mar.

I was in a big queue at the Vallandry lift today and noticed a planning application posted at the entrance annoucing a planning application for the lift to be changed to a telecabine. Does anyone know more about this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Vallandry chair is officially being replaced this summer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
I was in a big queue at the Vallandry lift today and noticed a planning application posted at the entrance annoucing a planning application for the lift to be changed to a telecabine. Does anyone know more about this.
Didn't know that, but would make sense in terms of getting beginners to the nursery slopes up top. What impact might that have on capacity I wonder?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peiserot wrote:

Excellent news, it's bloody slow. At least it seems so in this day and age.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peiserot wrote:

Wonder what they'll do for the summer - IIRC that is the main way out for walkers and bikers who want to start higher up ( we've used a few times having walked over from Col de La Chal, and then wanting a little relief before heading back to the Arpette ridge to get home) . Maybe turn on Grizzly?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The funicular service is being shutdown at at 6.00pm on the 29th January, and then re-starting at 9.00am on the 30th. Due to a maintenance issue I think. A bus service will be in operation to replace the funicular's normal service
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peiserot wrote:

Vallandry (YOC 2022, planned) » 10pers. Gondola lift (monocable circulating ropeway) - this from https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-arcspeisey-vallandry-paradiski/ski-lifts/l87025/

So - does anyone know - is it 'this summer' or two year's time??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kapt wrote:
Peiserot wrote:

Vallandry (YOC 2022, planned) » 10pers. Gondola lift (monocable circulating ropeway) - this from https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-arcspeisey-vallandry-paradiski/ski-lifts/l87025/

So - does anyone know - is it 'this summer' or two year's time??

YOC=Year of commencement? 2022, means build summer 2021? My guess
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I noticed a similar notice on the violettes lift this morning. If you think the vallandry lift is slow try violettes.

Compared to last week the resort is a lot busier this
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone tell me what the snow is like down into Villaroger at the moment please? I planning an epic tour of the resort for our first day on Saturday and wondered if its possible to get down there?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@wills_h, we went down to villaroger this morning and the snow is about as good as I've known it. The soleit black was open and in excellent conditions. There were a couple stones on rhonaz as we returned via pre st espirit. The snow is so hard packed I cannot see it getting worse for next week

There are a lot of beginner ski lessons out at the moment which combined with some high speed heros and rock hard pistes has led to a number of accidents. I counted 3 incidents waiting for the pistuers on a single run down Mont blanc. It was carnage.

Take care and stick to the safer reds and blacks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, thanks, I’m hoping the forecast snow improves the slopes a bit
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if there are any blacks which are piste bashed? Being a snowboarder I would like the challenge of a black but not keen on moguls!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know if there are any blacks which are piste bashed? Being a snowboarder I would like the challenge of a black but not keen on moguls!

Some of the reds in Les Arcs are bad enough & steep enough on a board, can’t think of any black runs that are bashed regularly.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:

Some of the reds in Les Arcs are bad enough & steep enough on a board, can’t think of any black runs that are bashed regularly.
okay thanks! I swear i remember when I was younger (10 years ago or so) that it was rare to find a 'moguled' piste but when I went to 3V a few years ago there were so many and hard to find any steep terrain that wasn't carved up, even first thing in the morning.
ski holidays

If the predicted snow arrives then you may struggle with that one but essentially any run that is not pisted is marked Nature on the piste map however all of them will have bumps on them at some point after a heavy dump in my experience - your best bet will probably be Aiguile Rouge (whisper it quietly but it is not really a black) or Ecureulls in Peissey wink
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:

If the predicted snow arrives then you may struggle with that one but essentially any run that is not pisted is marked Nature on the piste map however all of them will have bumps on them at some point after a heavy dump in my experience - your best bet will probably be Aiguile Rouge (whisper it quietly but it is not really a black) or Ecureulls in Peissey wink
okay thanks very much! I'm heading out on saturday so hopefully the snow will have settled by then. Of course hoping for the odd powder day though when I'm out there!
snow report
@winterstickboarder, I am of the view that black pistes should not be bashed, however, there are a number of blacks in Les Arcs that are occasionally bashed. This week for example Combourcier, Bosses and Soliet have all been bashed. You may find some of the reds satisfy your need for for steepish smooth pistes
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@winterstickboarder, I am of the view that black pistes should not be bashed, however, there are a number of blacks in Les Arcs that are occasionally bashed. This week for example Combourcier, Bosses and Soliet have all been bashed. You may find some of the reds satisfy your need for for steepish smooth pistes
I assume you enjoy mogul skiing then?
snow report
johnE wrote:

Mogul skiing rocks Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
johnE wrote:

mogul snowboarding does not NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

This week for example Combourcier, Bosses and Soliet have all been bashed

This really peed me off as the bumps at the top of Bosses were huge and great fun.
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
johnE wrote:

In that case come over from the dark side Very Happy
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
snowheid wrote:
johnE wrote:

In that case come over from the dark side Very Happy
I moved over to the dark side recently... Not gonna start this argument again... But much happier on the dark side wink
latest report
@winterstickboarder, The job of a snowboarder on a mogul run is to the slide down it and flatten them! We went dark side a few years ago and now feel sorry for skiers... Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Mogul skiing rocks

Having said all that about mogul skiing I have just tried to get out of my chair after dinner and my back is locked in a very peculiar position - thank god its a powder day tomorrow. Confused
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@winterstickboarder, The job of a snowboarder on a mogul run is to the slide down it and flatten them! We went dark side a few years ago and now feel sorry for skiers... Laughing
haha true! Yeah never looked back. So much more enjoyable on a board and powder is just on another level!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowheid wrote:
Quote:

Mogul skiing rocks

Having said all that about mogul skiing I have just tried to get out of my chair after dinner and my back is locked in a very peculiar position - thank god its a powder day tomorrow. Confused
enjoy tomorrow! Sounds like your in for a cracker!
snow report
How windy is deemed too windy?

Heading to lec arcs for my 2nd skiing trip (1st was in April 9 years ago in perfect conditions) on Friday and currently winds look to be between 45kph and 90kph going by bergfex website. Is this unskiable? What wind speeds do they tend to close lifts?
Apologies if its a newbie question!
latest report
@RustyT, depends where you’re staying. 2000\1950 gets effected worst as the high connecting lifts get shut. Reality is until the weather hits it is hard to tell exactly but always remember the worst day on the slopes is still better than the best day in work.
ski holidays
Staying in 2000.

True about the work bit! I suppose if the slopes are shut, the bars will be open so it's not all doom and gloom.
snow conditions
@RustyT, normally in the bowl they manage a few lifts open but you can get the bus down to 1600 worst case scenario.
latest report

Apart from the occasional bashing of pistes like Bosses (which immediately becomes a misnomer) and Comborciere, the black which you can expect to see regularly bashed is Aiguille Rouge. However only the top bit is really steep; the rest is no steeper than some of the reds.
snow report
@Alastair, the red is worse than the black, narrow and normally rammed with people.
snow conditions
As expected, snowy and a tad windy here today.
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, yes - it's always amusing to see so many people turning left at the T junction, presumably wary of the black. I don't think I've skied the red since I summoned up the courage to try the black, which is a lovely run.
ski holidays
Very overcast a it looks windy this morning. I think about 20cm fell overnight.
Oddly no one is enthusiastic about getting out this morning
ski holidays
Very windy in 1950 this morning. Apart from the drags and Cabriolet, only Marmottes is open. Plenty of blasting going on this morning too, we thought the windows were going to get put through a few times. Hard to tell how much snow has fallen as it is so windy, but it has been snowing since yesterday evening. At least 20cm so far I’d reckon.
snow report
@Tordi, Is it still snowing over there? Difficult to tell from the web cams
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy