Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, only Eurostar. It is Sunday and 90% will have come in Saturday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A number with skis got off at moutiers, aime, and Landry. Only about 10 people at bourg.
Taxi aarthur was waiting for us and 25 after the train arriving we were in our apartment
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, good man is Mr Arthur, now run by David as Arthur has retired.

I do wish they made Geneva to this area easier by train. Too many cars making each way journeys to park up.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-01-20 20:39; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I came on the over night ski train on Friday night and it was absolutely rammed - never seen it so busy. Think most ppl travel Friday and Saturday trains rather than Sunday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The fact that the train arrived after the funicular closed provably had a lot to do with it as well
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowheid, how was the overnight train? We head to les arcs on Fri 31st.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RustyT wrote:
@snowheid, how was the overnight train? We head to les arcs on Fri 31st.

The overnight train is always a bit of a nightmare. The concept is good in that you get an extra days skiing either end of the trip but the reality is it is very difficult to get much sleep so you arrive pretty wrecked and not too keen on skiing the Saturday. The main problems are the seats do not recline so very difficult to sleep upright and also depends on who else is in the carriage - quite often some one will smuggle on alcohol and if in a big group will start partying - it is the start of a ski holiday after all and everyone is excited.
My tactics are to get a double seat to myself - I travel alone and it is unusual for the seat next to me to be filled even when very full train, after Ashford there is a rush to grab any empty doubles where you get a chance to stretch out (I am a shortar*e so can curl up not too bad). By the middle of the night expect people to be sleeping across the carriage either on the seats or the floor - usually both so getting to the bog in the middle of the night is like doing the high hurdles. Shocked
Next I take noise cancelling headphones with some decent music and a good quality face mask.
Lastly a travel neck pillow in memory foam (or even better a full size pillow) is a god send - I have a brilliant one with integrated hood to pull over the eyes - one of the problems with the seat design is the inner arm rest by the window doesn't fold up and makes a comfortable sleeping position very difficult. Even with all this it is unusual for me to get more than 2-3 hours sleep so when I arrive I go straight to the apartment for an hour or two's kip before going on the hill - or get the cheap Saturday half day ticket deal and sleep til noon.
One other tactic with the train - book low number coaches in both directions as the train is nearly a kilometre long and that is a long walk with a lot of gear - I usually book number four as it is by the first gate at St Pancras and near the snack bar.
Hope you have a good trip. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cricky @snowheid, it sounds worse than the overnight drive down. During my "rest" stints I lie across the back seats and sleep getting about 4 hours in total. Actually I do the same during the day as well.
@thefatcontroller, it isn't that bad by train from Geneva. Ok it takes a few hours, but it is comfortable. We had time for a sandwich at contrin and a coffee at chambery. Of course you can get up and walk about on the train.
The worse part is the terrible immigration queues at Geneva airport. Probably 30 minutes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowheid, Chuck in an older male body with the bladder the size of a pea and the night train is hell. Love the day time.

JohnE, what’s the Geneva-bourgeois train like with 20kg luggage?

Did write this but iPhone wipes as you post?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-01-20 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowheid, thank you for the in depth review. Oh dear, we have booked coach 16 so I guess we have a long walk. Neither of us have skis tho so will only be suitcase on wheels.

I will have to go get myself a travel pillow and eye cover.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, will be getting the daytime SNCF from Paris in about 6 weeks, then again in 9 weeks: third time this season.

IIRC we change at Chambery onto the local chuff-chuff. Despite the issues this winter with striking drivers, we think it is by far and away our best option, and pricewise compares very favourably with fly+ hire-car.

At Christmas it was exactly (to the minute!) 12 hours door to door, from locking one at home to opening one in 1950 (and I'm sure you can do it more quickly taking a few risks with connections). I think that's a reasonable trade-off.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just hit a boulder (ok, ok - well something bloody hard that shouldn't have been there) on Morey & taken a lump out of base. Anyone any ideas of people you would trust to do a good repair job in Vallandry area? I know there is Equilibres in 2000, but it's a bit far to transport a ski, so really need trustworthy local firm. Any experience/ideas gratefully received.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We finally head out on Saturday. Driving from GVA to Les Arcs 1800 for the first time, we should arrive in resort around 21:30. I downloaded the Yuge App to kinda get some idea of where to go, its going to be odd not knowing where all the good runs for some off piste powder are like we do in our usual resort. We only have the Classic pass so probably will not go over to La Plange, guessing there is enough to keep us busy around Les Arcs and VP. I think we might follow the Yuge App on suggeted routes, and just see how it plays, hopefully we can find the fresh stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations of off piste powder runs?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dogsheds, everything will be well and truly tracked out by then, its going to be a week for hard carving or mogul runs if that's your thing. With touring gear and a guide maybe you may find some fresh snow but the layout of Les Arcs is such that most of the routes, at least that I know of, are accessed either straight from the lifts or with only a short hike so most stuff gets done pretty quickly
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not really, we like the fluffy stuff. Looks like snow due mid next week. It's all new so should be fun to explore but powder days and tree lines with powder we really like. Sounds like we won't have much of it.
snow conditions
@dogsheds, I'm not trying to be overly negative but I can't see any forecast that gives more than a few cm of snow between now and then end of next week so find it hard to believe that there's going to be much/any lift served powder anywhere in the French Alps. FWIW, if there is fresh snow then the trees off the Mont Blanc chair in Arc 1600 are really fun to explore, quite good spacing, no cliffs and you always end back on a piste. You can also get a head start on the crowds by taking the bus to Arc 1600 at the crack of dawn and lapping the upper half of the funiculaire, quite mellow but lots of fun bits through the trees and and unlikely to be bashed immediately following snowfall
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, the bourgoise train is fine with luggage. I had a 22kg wheeled bag and it was no problem. We did, however put it on a seat on the Geneva to chambery leg. Mind you the trio of musicians coped with their double bass.
b]@dogsheds[/b], get a copy of cle de paradiski by didier givois for details of off piste runs. At the moment any powder will be difficult to find.
ski holidays
@johnE,

Quote:

get a copy of cle de paradiski by didier givois for details of off piste runs.

is that available anywhere in resort that you've seen ? (£68 on Amazon) Shocked

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cl%C3%A9s-Paradiski-plus-beaux-hors-pistes/dp/2952249806?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
rambotion wrote:
@dogsheds, I'm not trying to be overly negative but I can't see any forecast that gives more than a few cm of snow between now and then end of next week so find it hard to believe that there's going to be much/any lift served powder anywhere in the French Alps. FWIW, if there is fresh snow then the trees off the Mont Blanc chair in Arc 1600 are really fun to explore, quite good spacing, no cliffs and you always end back on a piste. You can also get a head start on the crowds by taking the bus to Arc 1600 at the crack of dawn and lapping the upper half of the funiculaire, quite mellow but lots of fun bits through the trees and and unlikely to be bashed immediately following snowfall

No worries, It's always hit and miss, we always pray for the fluffy stuff lol. I will take a look at that. I guess we can head there even if there isn't fresh snow. Looking forward to exploring the area.

I was looking at this snow report which if you scroll down shows a fair bit of snow mid next week.

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Arc_1800_snow.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 20-01-20 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@dogsheds, don't tell anyone I said so, but usually to last place to get tracked out that's lift accessible is from the Clocheret lift. Mainly because it's so flippin slow compared to the rest of the resort.
Head down the blue, then off to the left when the terrain flattens out a bit (you'll likely see some traversing tracks), and you can end up in the snow park through some quite fun stuff.
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
@dogsheds, don't tell anyone I said so, but usually to last place to get tracked out that's lift accessible is from the Clocheret lift. Mainly because it's so flippin slow compared to the rest of the resort.
Head down the blue, then off to the left when the terrain flattens out a bit (you'll likely see some traversing tracks), and you can end up in the snow park through some quite fun stuff.

Awesome thanks Very Happy
latest report
There is plenty of off piste that you can reccy from the lifts.

What's good and what's not will be dependent on the weather.
snow conditions
@Richie_S, it is a big glossy coffee table beautiful to look at and spend days dreaming which ones you'll do.

My latest copy in bought in the bookshop above the super u in bourg st Maurice.

It is not cheep.
snow report
We spent today skiing around almost the whole domain and had a good day. if your skis are sharp and you are comfortable on rock hard pistes then the snow cover is very good.

I couldn't say one area was any better than any other except ,as usual , arc 2000 was busier than the other areas.

The sun shone and it was cold.

For some reason there were a lot of English voices about. It seemed almost as many as French.
latest report
Off topic slighly, has anyone stayed in the newly refurbished Hotel Mercure 1800 yet?
snow conditions
Where was everyone today!? Seems like everyone went home. Had plenty of choices for tables at prime lunch time.
snow report
@Mounta1nGoat, they all went to la plagne. It has been quiet here all this week but today we went across to la plagne. It was very busy over there. The restaurant we went into was jammed packed with few vacant tables.

Called into the arpette this evening on the was back. It was very busy. It looked busier the the follie douce.
ski holidays
@johnE, yes, I was a bit surprised to see a queue for the Vanoise Express. Didn't take long, though. A good day's skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, today was the first time I've ever seen a queue for the vanoise express. Weird
latest report
Quick question for those in the know.

Is it possible to drive up to 1800 via Peisey/Vallandry i.e. not via 1600? Specifically, we're staying at EdenArc.

We've always gone thru BSM in the past but I've noticed on the piste map there's a link road between 1800 and Vallandry. Is it open to the public?

Thanks for any info.
ski holidays
@DickyMint, Unfortunately not in the winter no. The only road that connects the two that is open in the winter is a fire road and the public are not allowed to drive on it. There is a bus that uses it but that has special permission and I believe there are gates at either end of the road.
snow report
@DickyMint, I'm not even sure why you would want to go that way. The road up the Landry valley is not as good as the one up from Bourg. Even in the summer it can be difficult to find the right junction in Vallandry to head across to 1800. I missed it back in November and I have driven that road many times.
snow conditions
I only skied this afternoon and stuck to the easier pistes. Though overall the pistes are holding up well but a couple stones and bare patches are starting to appear.

The weather crept above zero and the lower slopes started to have a bit of soft, spring like snow on them. The red pistes down to 1800 were excellent fun. And almost completely deserted.

For the doubters that combourcier is not a natur piste it was bashed last night. It was as smooth as and just a bit steeper than secret next door.
ski holidays
I'd dearly love to have a go at that just after it had been bashed and was smooth.
ski holidays
Quote:

Though overall the pistes are holding up well but a couple stones and bare patches are starting to appear.

+1 - what are the odds of core hits (on really good skis - one pair hardy used) twice in 3 days?? All on frequently used pistes. (Answer presumably unknown, as no one seemed to know where to get repairs done in Vallandry - perhaps it's just me!)
snow report
I've never done as much damage to my skis as I have done in the past few days. Lots of rocks about, I even saw asphalt on the La Plagne side of Vanoise Express !
High altitude is still good, but you'll eventually drop down to the rocks.
ski holidays
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
I've never done as much damage to my skis as I have done in the past few days. Lots of rocks about, I even saw asphalt on the La Plagne side of Vanoise Express !
High altitude is still good, but you'll eventually drop down to the rocks.
is that on or off piste? If it is that bad do they not have the snow cannons on?
ski holidays
@winterstickboarder, on piste. Especially if you're transferring from Les Arcs to La Plagne. I was genuinely surprised that all of the runs were open when there's clearly not enough snow to cover the road that's usually there in the summer. I'm use to thin snow cover but to have asphalt showing shortly after runs open was a shock.

The snow cannons haven't been on for a couple of days now, I assume owing to warm temperatures. They were heavily stockpiling at the start of the week. It's going to be a slushy one tomorrow.

There's definitely an ideal middle altitude, but once you get too high/steep it gets thin again.
snow conditions
Looks like more unsettled weather over the next few days with some potential moderate snowfalls.
ski holidays
I must admit that I've not seen that much rocks about and certainly no asphalt. No damage to skis at all, but I have put them in for service. They need a wax and some sharp edges for tomorrow.
There were a few bits of pitching over the front of the skis on the return to arc 1600 along gollet the afternoon, but that was about it. Overall the snow conditions on piste are excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy