Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Thanks a lot! So throughout the week you'd recommend arc 2000 in the morning and the other villages in the afternoon when the sun moves round?

Generally yes but depends on other factors sometimes. The Bowl tends to be busier. Sometimes the snow is better on the PV/1800 side of the ridge in the morning. Also might depend on wind speed and direction etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi All,
We are driving from Geneva to the Mercure hotel in 1800 on 22nd of Feb for a week, and JohnE's comment about the police towing cars had me trying to book a place in a covered carpark last night, only to find that they're already full. Shocked
I'm a bit concerned that as we don't get in until about 9pm, all the surface spaces will be taken. Should we be ok, and is there any plan B I could try?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't imagine that all of the spaces in resort will be full, you might end up having to park some way away from the Mercure, but there are masses of spaces below the resort proper in open air car parks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If we were arriving earlier, I wouldn't be concerned. I'm hoping that the residence blocks in Charmettoger all have their own underground carparks and don't rely too much on surface parking.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WD40, You should be OK in Arc1800 even though it is half term. There are plenty of car parks around. Park in one and you will be fine. One thing to be aware of is that you may need to dig your car out at the end of the week (hence the popularity of covered car parks). Try and take a snow shovel with you or buy one on the way if it looks like snow while you are there. It took us 3 hours to dig the car out at Christmas. My wife's brilliant advice is to dig out the number plate first so you don't spend all your time digging out someonelese's car.

Over New Year there was one car that appeared to be abandondoned (A newish BMW) at the service entrance of the Cachette hotel. At the end of the week it was still there but plastered with parking tickets. I only read a couple of them and they added up to over 150 euros.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

My wife's brilliant advice is to dig out the number plate first so you don't spend all your time digging out someone else's car.

Love it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is the Snow Art guy doing his stuff this year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Is the Snow Art guy doing his stuff this year?
No, I don't think so. I think he's currently in Colorado.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mountain Haddock, there seems to be one of his works just to the left of the Reservoir piste as you enter Arc 2000, so he's been here since the last big dump. Nothing else which may mean he's in Colorado or that the authorities (or Simon himself) are being more cautious since the piste basher fell in the water.

Snowing here Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I beleive Simon Beck, who does the beautiful snow pictures in Les Arcs, is in America this winter.

@Alastair, Is it snowing?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's currently snowing in Bourg, hopefully means snow on the mountain for tomorrow!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@irishz, Welcome snowHead to snowheads. Looking good up here as well - the trees have changed colour since this morning.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whats the scores on the doors then folks? Didn't look to be a monster dump, but the trees have changed colour at least. Happy Heading up to 1950 tomorrow for 11 days. Looks like we will have mostly blissful sunshine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tordi, Metofrance is forecasting snow showers next week (wc 27/1/20), but it does look like factor 50 until Friday
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went out today with high expectations of some decent powder from last nights snow but in the event it took some finding.
It was much warmer than forecast and virtually no wind so the multiple layers were reduced in the morning. The new snow was not much more than 4 inches and quite heavy so challenging off piste with a very hard base and still a lot of bumps to hit underneath the new stuff.
We went over to the bowl first thing but decided that there wasn't any particularly interesting lines so decided to dodge back over the ridge to PV via hot choc at Col de la Chal. We did see a few hardy souls boot tracking up the Greive but didn't seem worth the effort given the very mixed off piste.
PV was much better snow both on and off piste and we had a good play before back to 1600 and made the mistake of doing Muguet and Secret which was pretty hideous and very cold at that time of day.
All in all a pretty good day given I just got off the overnight ski train this morning.
Weather is definitely not looking promising at the present with a blocking high developing over UK stopping the Atlantic storms but here's hoping things might change.
For those coming out this week it is looking like a high factor week with a lot of searching for the best underfoot. Confused
snow report
snowheid wrote:
Went out today with high expectations of some decent powder from last nights snow but in the event it took some finding.
It was much warmer than forecast and virtually no wind so the multiple layers were reduced in the morning. The new snow was not much more than 4 inches and quite heavy so challenging off piste with a very hard base and still a lot of bumps to hit underneath the new stuff.
We went over to the bowl first thing but decided that there wasn't any particularly interesting lines so decided to dodge back over the ridge to PV via hot choc at Col de la Chal. We did see a few hardy souls boot tracking up the Greive but didn't seem worth the effort given the very mixed off piste.
PV was much better snow both on and off piste and we had a good play before back to 1600 and made the mistake of doing Muguet and Secret which was pretty hideous and very cold at that time of day.
All in all a pretty good day given I just got off the overnight ski train this morning.
Weather is definitely not looking promising at the present with a blocking high developing over UK stopping the Atlantic storms but here's hoping things might change.
For those coming out this week it is looking like a high factor week with a lot of searching for the best underfoot. Confused
how bad is it on piste, quite hard and polished? Just need to concentrate a bit more or is it lots of sliding out?
ski holidays
@winterstickboarder,
Pistes are very variable depending where you are. Some of the high traffic reds were getting scaped down to a hard (sometimes icy )base with soft powder bumps and really not too pleasant, while other areas had really nice groomed new snow - just need to go out and explore but as I said we found the best conditions in Peissy - Vallandry.
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
@winterstickboarder,
Pistes are very variable depending where you are. Some of the high traffic reds were getting scaped down to a hard (sometimes icy )base with soft powder bumps and really not too pleasant, while other areas had really nice groomed new snow - just need to go out and explore but as I said we found the best conditions in Peissy - Vallandry.
thanks, heading out to PV 1st of Feb so hoping for some more snow between now and then but not looking likely at the moment!
ski holidays
winterstickboarder wrote:
snowheid wrote:
@winterstickboarder,
thanks, heading out to PV 1st of Feb so hoping for some more snow between now and then but not looking likely at the moment!

I leave on the 1st so will post just before I go.
snow report
snowheid wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:
snowheid wrote:
@winterstickboarder,

I leave on the 1st so will post just before I go.
great stuff! Thanks
ski holidays
The live cams showed the snow cannons blasting away today.

The bottom of secret seems to get really polished and if there are a lot of people about I have to confess that it is not very nice. It is a shame that from Muguet you have to trek uphill to get across to Combourciere now.

@snowheid, where are you staying in Les Arcs?

I've packed my edge guide a file ready for some firm pistes on Monday
latest report
@johnE,
I am staying in Bourg so won't be skiing Les Arcs every day - looking at day trips to La Rossiere, St Foy and Tignes to explore the off piste.
Yes Secret was really hideous this afternoon with some areas that were beyond firm into the icy spectrum but sort be put off as it may well have skied well first thing this morning.
Also don't expect the whole area to be tricky - as I said PV was a delight today with nice groomed on piste and light and fluffy off piste (all be it with a relative thin cover and quite bumpy).
The snow cannons were mainly running to cover the high traffic areas towards the principle lifts which get polished towards the end of the day - I usually stay off piste on these runs to avoid the kamikaze skiing on piste (can be really shocking at times how out of control ppl are in these areas)
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
@johnE,
I am staying in Bourg so won't be skiing Les Arcs every day - looking at day trips to La Rossiere, St Foy and Tignes to explore the off piste.
Yes Secret was really hideous this afternoon with some areas that were beyond firm into the icy spectrum but don't be put off as it may well have skied well first thing this morning.
Also don't expect the whole area to be tricky - as I said PV was a delight today with nice groomed on piste and light and fluffy off piste (all be it with a relative thin cover and quite bumpy).
The snow cannons were mainly running to cover the high traffic areas towards the principle lifts which get polished towards the end of the day - I usually stay off piste on these runs to avoid the kamikaze skiing on piste (can be really shocking at times how out of control ppl are in these areas)
ski holidays
At last it was A POWDER DAY!!
Excellent conditions higher up on the Aiguille Rouge today with fresh powder and plenty of places to put down fresh tracks all day.

We started off heading down from the Arpette ridge towards the Arc 2000 bowl and quickly found that the sunny slopes were still not much fun as we were dropping through onto the crud and it was also very unstable.

The top had not yet opened so we headed to Lanchettes and after a tricky traverse we had a great run down untracked snow all the way to the track out.

Time to get on the more sheltered slopes. Up the Aiguille Rouge and down the Robert Blanc area and across the meadows. Not bad at all!!

Then back up again and onto the Grand Pont. Great. Very interesting conditions as we did one of the less skied routes.

Then back again and over to the Genepy Couloir. Someone had made both smaller couloirs slide so we did the larger face which had great snow.

Then another variation to get more fresh tracks down to the Lanchettes exit.

By now after three laps it was already 3pm and we still had not stopped for lunch. Time for a rest at the Clubhouse then a ski down to Comborciere. With one final ski we made it back to the Funi at 5pm.

What a great day! Tomorrow we hope to have more of the same over in La Plagne and on the Bellecote. Fingers crossed for more powder and plenty of fresh tracks!

I hope you enjoy the photos of today. You will need to visit Les Arcs Winter facebook page to view these. Use this link. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

@snowheid, if you have all your Arvi gear and fancy meeting up for some proper off piste send me a PM. Conditions are really good if you know where to go! Very Happy
ski holidays
Following with excitement! Great page thank you for all the links
latest report
Hi all, new member here.

Heading to les arcs 31st Jan on the over night train with my brother in law for a full weeks skiing.

How accurate are the long range forecasts? Looks like a week of snow starting from the 27th, which is needed by the sounds of things so fingers crossed!

It will be my 2nd skiing trip and 2nd time to les arcs having not been for 9 years and my brother in laws first trip to the alps.

I literally cannot wait, so excited. Well needed and well deserved trip.

Where's good for beers in the evenings? My wife was pregnant when I came 9 years ago so we never went out in the evenings.

Also, as we are skiing on a budget and trying to keep costs low, we will prob eat in most nights before heading out. Are there any super markets on the slopes or would it be better to stock up on pizza / pasta in bourg?

I'm sure il be back with some questions soon, but in the mean time, happy skiing and TIA.

Tom
snow report
@RustyT, welcome. Which village in Les Arcs are you staying? - you'll find it difficult ( but not impossible...) to drink for an evening in alternate villages, so the people who can best help will need to know whereabouts you are headed.
ski holidays
Staying in la varet in arc 2000.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RustyT, In which case...

Whistlers is still going strong I believe, despite the Ruud the previous owner selling up this year. The Bowling Alley is also a favourite.

For a change head down the cabriolet to Arc 1950 (this pedestrian lift stays open until 11:30) and go to Georges Wine Bar (there's beer on the pump as well as wine) . You'll get great advice in there too as to what's hot and what's not, as George lives in 2000 (so won't let you miss the last lift!) and he's not adverse to the odd late-nighter...

There are supermarkets in both 2000 and 1950, the latter far (far) better stocked. Yes, it's about 10 - 15% more expensive than the valley for the basics, but considerably cheaper than the bars for beer! And, do you really want to give up valuable skiing time to shlep all the way down to Bourg just to save a few euros? Work out how much your time is worth, and then calculate if it is worth it! - you're looking at least 2 hours longer than staying 'up top' to go shopping.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, thank you for the info, it will be greatly appreciated and put to good use
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, thank you for the info, it will be greatly appreciated and put to good use
ski holidays
Hmm I have no idea what's happened to the rest of my message.

We are thinking of stocking up before heading up the mountain after arriving on the train.

Are snow boots a necessity or would trainers with grip be OK? A work mate said all he takes when he goes skiing is trainers and a set of crampons.

Thank you
snow report
@RustyT, Get some warm boots with a good grip - and you'll always have them.
ski holidays
@RustyT, In which case, Lidl is closest supermarket to the Funicular. See:

Come out of E-star terminal and turn left out of the station, left again up the main road hill. You can then cut through back to the funi over the foot-bridge. And as I say, stuff up the hill is not extortionate (except possibly Pringles...) , so anything you don't get, you'll be able to find in 1950
latest report
Awesome thank you, as lidl is my shopping spot at home I know what il be getting.
ski holidays
Currently on the train from Geneva to chambery then change for bourg. By the time we get to les arcs it will calling in at pizza charlotte for a take away.

Meanwhile @RustyT, long range forecasts are not very reliable. It may snow before you arrive, but then again it may not. Even if it doesn't I'm sure you will have a good time.

Sometimes I do go down to bourg for shopping, but not really to save money. I go to get stuff you cannot get in the resort such as st Jacques, fish or seeing steak.

We get the funicular down after skiing and walk to the super u. There is a navette between the bottom of the funicular and the super u area, but I have never managed to catch it.

As @Arctic Roll, says, it isn't really worth it just to save money
snow conditions
@RustyT, Any forecast beyond 3 days is witchcraft.
ski holidays
@RustyT, apart from my ski boots the only footwear I take are my approach trainers which i am travelling in now.

Though I have crampons in les arcs they are for attaching to my mountaineering boots and only used in the summer.
latest report
Great day out with @snowcrazy and good group of fellow hors pisteurs (or horse pissers as my youngest daughter calls them). Went to La Plagne and finished on north face of Bellcote which has been on my tick list for a long time and was a fun day out with a big mix of conditions including some great powder.
Bit colder today but the forecast high winds did not materialise to the relief of all.
Off to La Rossiere tomorrow for some skinning and lunch in Italy.
snow conditions
As the train approaches bourg st Maurice I am amazed at how quiet it is; my wife, me and one other person in the carriage.

Does anyone else use the train?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy