Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Arctic Roll wrote:
Quote:
What is being built beside Bois lift,

Called Hameau des Oursons, it will be a 7 storey complex run by VIP-Ski of, I think, chalet-hotel type accommodation, with allegedly some seasonnaire accommodation. Right outside my balcony... but fortunately doesn't ruin our view of Mont Blanc. Running late, now due to open Dec. 2020 Part of the Arc 2000 commune (Despite Arc 1950 being in between...)

Thanks. Part of Arc 2000? Think they need to buy a map.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@thefatcontroller, I think you'll find it's cheaper to associate with 2000 than 1950!

(also something do to with 1950 being a private development - ie sold to intrawest back in 2003 - rather than 'belonging' to Bourg. But they have agreed to contribute something at least to the costs of running 1950, which let's face it, is where their people are going to go for nightlife and shopping).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arctic Roll, an unusually prime location for some seasonnaire accommodation! Down in the bowels of the building I'd guess.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, Your pictures from the front of the funicular make it look like an exciting roller coaster - not the boring old funicular.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Your pictures from the front of the funicular make it look like an exciting roller coaster - not the boring old funicular.

I won’t deny being a train lover and it being very quiet, that I did enjoy the front window ride. Amazing views.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Holiday crowds have left and the resort is back to the low season again for a few weeks. The sun is out and although it is cold in the shade, when the sun hits your face it really is quite pleasant.

Over the past week I have been out with various visitors and it has been great fun despite the large lift queues and busy pistes. Getting off piste each day has meant escaping the crowds most mornings and playing in the piste natures and on the jumps in the afternoons made a great finish to the day. We often had a hot chocolate at the Altiport before heading down just as the sun was setting.

This holiday period has been especially good as we could ski almost everywhere without any problems both on and off pistes. Reaching the far corners of the Paradiski area and all the good off piste zones. We had hoped to try the Villaroger challenge again, but the crazy lift queues made that impossible. Maybe at half Term (most unlikely) or at Easter (snow permitting).

The youngsters have performed very well and it is good to see how they have improved. The holiday season finished with the Big Air competition yesterday in Les Arcs. Some big tricks and a few crashes.

Now the low season is back I shall choose the good days to go riding and look forward to the next big snowfall.

If you want to see the photos of the conditions we had on and off piste, please visit the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

I hope you enjoy the photos!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fireworks in Arc 1950 last night. Great view from the apartment without having to get cold. I assume it was just a 'thing' for guest as Russian Orthodox New Year isn't until next week.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Epiphany. A public holiday in Italy, Austria, and parts of Germany, Switzerland. (Although not AFAIK in Frnce).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm in 1950, and I was told it was Russian Christmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamcham wrote:
I'm in 1950, and I was told it was Russian Christmas.

Ah correct. It’s today, Orthodox New Year is 14th

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/russia/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The drift in dates between the Catholic and Orthodox churches is largely due to the change between the Julian and Gregorian Calendars. In England 11 days were taken out of the Julian calendar in 1752. It arose due to the misclaculation of leap years. For example the Julian calendar had a leap year in 1900, whereas the Gregorian calendar did not.

It has also led to two different Easters.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went out boarding today, had to be careful, conditions are ok but skiing is easier. We have been coming here for over 10 years now 1st week of January and this is quietest I can remember, don't know if it is because the weather is nice and people are having long lunches but it does seem very quiet out there. We did take the Villards gondola about 4pm and that new bar in 1800 was heaving, perfect weather for them, can't imagine the Arpette is doing so well now. Skiing tomorrow I think....

Coming down towards 1800

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thefatcontroller, looks lovely
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Went out boarding today, had to be careful, conditions are ok but skiing is easier. We have been coming here for over 10 years now 1st week of January and this is quietest I can remember, don't know if it is because the weather is nice and people are having long lunches but it does seem very quiet out there. We did take the Villards gondola about 4pm and that new bar in 1800 was heaving, perfect weather for them, can't imagine the Arpette is doing so well now. Skiing tomorrow I think....

Coming down towards 1800

Is it a bit icy for snowboarding then? Are any of the snow cannons running to make it a bit softer on top?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@winterstickboarder, Plenty of man made snow on the slopes and 'icy' was probably the wrong word. It is icy and very hard packed below 1800 but above that the slopes are ok/good for boarding. I'm of an age where falling hurts more Laughing Laughing so we are cautious boarders and lazy boarders. Boarding is much harder (way more fun though in the right conditions) that skiing but if coming our you will be fine.

We've been out here when it is sheet ice even high, its not like that at the moment.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@winterstickboarder, Plenty of man made snow on the slopes and 'icy' was probably the wrong word. It is icy and very hard packed below 1800 but above that the slopes are ok/good for boarding. I'm of an age where falling hurts more Laughing Laughing so we are cautious boarders and lazy boarders. Boarding is much harder (way more fun though in the right conditions) that skiing but if coming our you will be fine.

We've been out here when it is sheet ice even high, its not like that at the moment.

Ah okay thanks for clarifying. I'm not coming out until 1st Feb, but with no snow forecast I'm just worrying about sheet ice when I'm there
snow conditions
Skied today, stayed high mostly and around the bowl, conditions are lovely and god it is quiet here. No queue for the glacier at lunchtime.
Had a late lunch down at La Ferme in Villaroger. Conditions were a bit icy that side but perfectly fine to ski down to the bottom.

Some photos. From top of Lanchette.

Incredibly busy on the ski down to Villaroger

Villaroger.

Top Of Transarc looking up at Glacier

Looking across at Grand Col
ski holidays
lovely photographs
latest report
Quick question, we get to bsm at 6.20 am (snow train) Sat 29th Feb and will be staying in Plan Peisey. Will hang about for a bit in bsm before getting a taxi up to pp. Our accommodation will not let us drop bags off until 9am. Is there somewhere in pp we can store our luggage and buy our lift passes?
ski holidays
Hi all. Thanks for all the useful info on this thread. I know that this is hugely last minute but I was wondering if anyone knows of an available apartment in Bourg St Maurice, ideally near the funicular station for 4/5 people on 15-22 February. I realise it's a long shot but I am booked there at that time and some family would like to join us nearby. Thanks for any suggestions.
snow conditions
@PollSki, if all else fails, you could try https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/ ?

It sort of does apartments - we're going in March - with self catering options, and is about 8 mins walk from the funi end of station.
snow report
@PollSki, You are right there is not a lot still available. Have you looked on the tourist office web site yet.

There are only 3 left on the CIS site (one of a number of immobiliers serving Bourg st Maurice) eg https://cis-immobilier.locvacances.com/fr-FR/Lot/Detail/100050032
ski holidays
Thanks for the responses. The base camp lodge doesn't seem to have availability but one of the CIS ones seems available. I'll forward on. fingers crossed. Any other options gratefully received.
snow report
Stunning day today, glorious sunshine but pistes holding up well. Skied the morning but things ahd soften up nicely so went in lunchtime and put our boards on. Perfect afternoon boarding too. Photos are potentially better than words...

St Jaques lift

Top of Comborciere. La Ros in the distance

Looking into the bowl from top of Bois/Arpette

Dealing with the huge crowds on Mont Blanc above 1600

snow report
@thefatcontroller, I was just about to compliment you on your your beautiful photographs - until I saw that monstrosity as the last picture
snow report
@johnE, it’s a shocker isn’t it
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, at least ou don't have to see it when you go to the bar in the evening
snow report
Snowing lightly in Arc 2000
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Snowing lightly in Arc 2000

If Bergfex is to be believed it'll be just a smattering.
snow conditions
Yes, it was a smattering, about 5cm of fresh, not huge but welcome. Boardered today, stayed 1800/1600 and bowl side, all very nice.

We've come 1st week of Jan and early March now for over 10 years and this was a strange week. Jan 2017 there was grass at 2000m, March 2017 and boht 2019 trips we got hit by huge storms and in 2000 that can really affect a holiday. This week was great snow on piste everywhere and sunshine, kind of perfect. Yes the place could do with a dump but if coming out you will still have a great holiday. Last photos of the week, think photos are better than words. Eurostar out in the morning, see y'all March

View from the apartment this morning.

On Arpette run, thats Montchavin & Les Coches in La Plagne in the distance

Arpette run looking at snow park

Looking up Arpette run, still having to fight our way through the crowds

1600, Cachette lift, looking up
ski holidays
Just getting the organisation sorted for our forthcoming trip finalised and what fun it has proved.

First of all we sorted the flights out way back - Birmingham to Geneva for about £75 return, but paid little attention to the transfers.

Yesterday I decsided to look seriously into the transfers. Sonce the flight gets in about 14:00 there were not a lot of options. A 17:30 bensbus wasn't the cheepest but would get us to Les Arcs about 8:30 so I thought I would book it. No luck - the bus was full and there are no other bus transfers available. So back to the train. As discussed in earlier posts this gets in after the funicular has closed so we need a taxi up the hill (50 euros). For some reason booking the train on the trainline was cheeper than using the SNCF website - I have no idea why. Anyway the return train cost us £55 each, giving a total BHX - Les Arcs return cost of roughly £150 each. 50% over my originally budgeted costs.

Now the fun bit.

My son wants to come out for the weekend travelling on Friday and returning on Monday. His first thought was an overnight train both ways, but they no longer run (I know there is one Friday night but that was unsuitable). The day trains didn't schedule either and were very expensive. So in the end he decisded to fly:

Coach to london
Coach to Luton (in total about £40)
Fly to Geneva (I think the return came in at about £110)
Ouibus from Geneva to Crolles (the only transfer available at that time of day) 30 euro
Collect by friend and drive together to Les Arcs

On the Monday
Train back to Geneva Airport (30euro)
Flight to Luton
Coach home another £40

About £250 for a weekend' skiing!!!!

Anyway I looking forward to meeting my friends in Les Arcs again. It should be good
snow report
@thefatcontroller, that shot from the top of Lanchettes looking at Comborciere is amazing, my favourite run in the alps when it's snowed, thanks for sharing Smile
snow conditions
Another week is over and the sky is still blue and the sun has been shinning most days.

This week we have managed to finish some of the off piste routes on the Aiguille Rouge, the Bellecote North Face and skied most of the pistes and fun gullies of the whole Paradiski area. Malgovert above Arc 1600 is still great fun, but they have now graded this a black piste nature.

With only one brief day of poor weather it has stayed cold and the snow is lasting well. You can still reach all the ski stations and most pistes are open. The pistes are firm, but hold an edge well. Some pistes do become quite polished by midday, but overall conditions are still good.

The off piste is well tracked in most areas unless you are willing to hike, but the snow on the north facing slopes has stayed firm, but with a soft top layer. The steeper couloirs are becoming more challenging with chalky snow in many places so good turns are needed to avoid a fall.

With fresh snow promised for the end of the week conditions should stay good for the next few weeks at least.

Check out the Les Arcs Winter page for the photos of this week. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Anyone wanting a ski service. Polaire Star beside the bottom station of the funicular did a great job in preparing my skis for these conditions and they also rent many different skis and snowboards to suit all tastes. Use this link for more details.

https://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
Hi all, heading out in a few weeks and looking for suggestions for good warm up pistes for first day. We are based in Peisey-Vallandry. Thanks!
ski holidays
@winterstickboarder, a lot will depend on conditions. The great thing about P-V is that if it's snowing you have tree skiing in abundance on both sides of the VE. But if it's nice I'd get over to Grand Col or ski over to Villaroger or perhaps something like Mont Blanc above 1600.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@winterstickboarder, a lot will depend on conditions. The great thing about P-V is that if it's snowing you have tree skiing in abundance on both sides of the VE. But if it's nice I'd get over to Grand Col or ski over to Villaroger or perhaps something like Mont Blanc above 1600.
thanks very much. Hopefully we will have had a fresh dump of snow by then so conditions will be great
ski holidays
@winterstickboarder, the Peisey bowl is a good starting point - relatively benign reds and blues, and as above, the reds back down to the base stations provide poor weather cover. Use the Peisey and Grizzly lifts to get your legs together.
Then head over to Derby for more variety, either lap the lift down the variety of coloured runs (there's reds blues and a 'black' which all end up there), or head skiers left further afield along the 'front face' of Les Arcs towards 1800.
TransArc and Vagere take you out of the 1800 complex, but once up the mountain, you can also use Carreley which starts a few hundred metres up the slope, and thus avoids a lot of the village rush.
Vagere, Coqs runs are ways back to 1800.

You can then continue your exploration of that face by skiing Carreley down to, and lapping the Arpette lift (again a variety of reds).

After that, well, you're on your own! There's still masses to cover, but this will get you back in the groove for sure.
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@winterstickboarder, the Peisey bowl is a good starting point - relatively benign reds and blues, and as above, the reds back down to the base stations provide poor weather cover. Use the Peisey and Grizzly lifts to get your legs together.
Then head over to Derby for more variety, either lap the lift down the variety of coloured runs (there's reds blues and a 'black' which all end up there), or head skiers left further afield along the 'front face' of Les Arcs towards 1800.
TransArc and Vagere take you out of the 1800 complex, but once up the mountain, you can also use Carreley which starts a few hundred metres up the slope, and thus avoids a lot of the village rush.
Vagere, Coqs runs are ways back to 1800.

You can then continue your exploration of that face by skiing Carreley down to, and lapping the Arpette lift (again a variety of reds).

After that, well, you're on your own! There's still masses to cover, but this will get you back in the groove for sure.

That's fantastic thanks! Thank you for going into so much detail
snow report
winterstickboarder wrote:
Hi all, heading out in a few weeks and looking for suggestions for good warm up pistes for first day. We are based in Peisey-Vallandry. Thanks!

I would start up Grizzly or Vallandy - from the top I like Myrtilles for a warm up run but renard is also really good - ski to the bottom of the Derby lift and you have several options depending on snow and weather conditions. If windy/poor vis or snowing then stay in PV and ski the tree lined pistes or lap the derby.
If Blue bird day then go over to the 2000 bowl - either take low traverse line to 1800 from bottom of Derby and jump on Transarc or go to top of Derby and ski over to transact mid station (avoid the queues in 1800). At top of transarc you are at Col de la Chal and can get good orientation of the 2000 area.
Sun is best in the bowl in the morning and PV in afternoon.
snow report
snowheid wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:

I would start up Grizzly or Vallandy - from the top I like Myrtilles for a warm up run but renard is also really good - ski to the bottom of the Derby lift and you have several options depending on snow and weather conditions. If windy/poor vis or snowing then stay in PV and ski the tree lined pistes or lap the derby.
If Blue bird day then go over to the 2000 bowl - either take low traverse line to 1800 from bottom of Derby and jump on Transarc or go to top of Derby and ski over to transact mid station (avoid the queues in 1800). At top of transarc you are at Col de la Chal and can get good orientation of the 2000 area.
Sun is best in the bowl in the morning and PV in afternoon.

Thanks a lot! So throughout the week you'd recommend arc 2000 in the morning and the other villages in the afternoon when the sun moves round?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy