Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
The last couple days have been very quiet on the slopes. Yesterday's snow fall clearly kept a lot of people away and today is transfer day with only the ski clubs contributing numbers.

I thought the 15 cm of snow yesterday would really freshen thinks up but I found myself side slipping everywhere today. It may have been my poor technique or my borrowing my son's skis where none of us can recall when they where last sharpened but I suspect the pistes are turning a bit icy. We returned to the vanoise express from la plagne using the scenic (ie lots of polling) route and I did notice a couple m of blue stuff on the way.

We have now skied here 7 days and this was the first time we had been over to la plagne.

Judging by the large number of cars jammed on the road outside our apartment either loading, unloading or trying to find somewhere to park next week is going to be very busy. Take care. Crowds and icy pistes don't mix.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, not a flake of snow forecast over the next week either. We arrive 5th and sadly looking skiing not boarding conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks to the strikes an epic journey home is nearly done:
navette, funi, navette, TGV, walk across Paris, SNCF to Lille, and currently on the Eurostar to StP. Nice work by their customer service team, to get us onto a train after ours was cancelled.- and in Premier too! Then of course the home leg via TfL and GWR...long day but could have been so much worse.

We're with JohnE, things were decidedly more edgy lower down at the end of the week, and the edges were blunt. But the fluffy stuff up high on Friday was terrific.

Looks like blue skies for New Year, enjoy it everyone. Back in 9 weeks...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
15 cm of fresh snow on Friday was indeed lovely. Somewhere else on snowheads that was described as deep powder. We tried to get up to the grand col but the queue was horrendous. As is often the case we gave up with the 2000 valley and headed to the reds leading down to 1800.

@Arctic Roll, it sounds an epic journey but it appears that you will at least get home. Probably having read at least one novel from start to finish. We are driving home on Thursday. Leave here about lunchtime and get home about 2 am.

Wednesday night we will be having our traditional evening meal in the arpette with ski down in the dark. Anyone care to join us. For a change this trip we've ordered a fondue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
15 cm of fresh snow on Friday was indeed lovely. Somewhere else on snowheads that was described as deep powder. We tried to get up to the grand col but the queue was horrendous. As is often the case we gave up with the 2000 valley and headed to the reds leading down to 1800.

@Arctic Roll, it sounds an epic journey but it appears that you will at least get home. Probably having read at least one novel from start to finish. We are driving home on Thursday. Leave here about lunchtime and get home about 2 am.

Wednesday night we will be having our traditional evening meal in the arpette with ski down in the dark. Anyone care to join us. For a change this trip we've ordered a fondue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Albeit not great weather on a few days, we had a super week and skied on absolutely beautiful near-empty pistes morning in 1950 and 1800. Left 1950 about 1pm and currently tucked into an Ibis outside Troyes for the night, continuing our drive home to Bucks in the morning. Horrible traffic queues heading the opposite direction on the roads.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apparently there are 10,000 extra vehicles heading to the tarrentaise and maurine valleys today
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had a great week and are currently laid up in Macon for the night. We usually stay in Arc 1950 but only decided to come away for Christmas a couple of months ago so ended up renting a mini chalet at the Huttopia site in BSM. It worked out really well and was only £650 for the week for 4 of us. Pity that rain fell on Tuesday. We didn’t get going particularly early today but the traffic wasn’t too bad and we made it out of the valley with enough time spare to visit Lyon for a few hours this afternoon, very nice it was too. We aren’t coming back to Les Arcs this coming half term as we have other plans. Maybe next season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow the resort is packed solid. You need reservations to get into restaurants in the evening, the navettes are full, and the queues in the supermarket immense. Watching drivers trying to find a car parking space and watching the police how away those that didn't provides some morning entertainment. It is actually very good to see the place doing so well. Customers are needed.

The slopes are holding up well all over les arcs. They are firm with small ridges and bumps. Just the sort of terrain that really hurts my knees. Really really hurts them.

The blue pistes are very busy and it feels much safer avoiding them. Oddly yesterday we didn't find much in the way of lift queues and those we did find, such as bois d' le ours we avoided by skiing down to combourcier and using our essentials lift pass to jump the queue. Judging by how few people use this queue it appears almost every one buys a classic pass.

For the first time this trip we did malgovert yesterday. The first time down since it became a black. Though covered in bigish firm irregular moguls it was actually a very pleasant ski and felt much safer than the blues in arc 2000. Afterwards I watched a border come down Mont blanc. His technique was to hurtle down at high speed try to turn, fall, tumble down the piste, get up and repeat. The piste was firm so I guess he got his fair share of bruises.

Anyway I must go out skiing now. The sun is suing and the snow awaits.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I know this has been asked many times before, but I think the answer keeps changing. Do you know what lifts have priority queues for those with the Essentials pass? I am wondering whether to got that or the classic for half term. Thx.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aterlevich wrote:
@johnE, I know this has been asked many times before, but I think the answer keeps changing. Do you know what lifts have priority queues for those with the Essentials pass? I am wondering whether to got that or the classic for half term. Thx.

We were out last week based in Les Coaches with a full Paradiski ski pass. We spent 3 days of the 7.5 we skied predominantly on the Les Arcs side. Two snowy days where we just skied in the trees above Vallandry and one sunny day where we travelled over to the 2000 bowl. The one's I remember/used: Derby, Combourcier, Varet, Peisey. TBH due to the nature of the weather (less people out on snowy days) and the timing of our hitting lifts it wasn't a big deal. We used it to jump the queue at Combourcier once. On the sunny day they opened Varet at 13:15 and it was very busy. We almost were going to use it there but decided to do something else. Peisey gets very busy with people coming over from La Plagne in the early morning. We used it once there but once that early rush dies down it's no biggy. I guess there is a late afternoon rush of people returning to Les Arcs from La Plagne.

Derby is usually a very busy lift and we have used it there on previous occasions. This time on the snowy days it was shut iirc and on the sunny day no queue at the time we hit it.

Half term I can imagine it having it's uses. It's a shame it doesn't cover Arcabulle, which is often busy. And once we hit a big queue at Vallandry and it doesn't cover that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Wow the resort is packed solid. You need reservations to get into restaurants in the evening, the navettes are full, and the queues in the supermarket immense. Watching drivers trying to find a car parking space and watching the police how away those that didn't provides some morning entertainment. It is actually very good to see the place doing so well. Customers are needed.

When we drove out on Saturday evening it was evident there was already a lot of people arrived in resort and then we saw some heavy traffic queues on the roads in also (about 5/5.30) so clearly it was going to be a bumper week for the resorts. Must admit I was glad I wasn't going to be in the area with it being so busy. Christmas week for me is tolerable but I reckon I would get very frustrated this week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@aterlevich, in addition to the lifts @Layne, mentioned carroley also has a priority queue. This is a handy lift to get over to the 2000 valley, but takes some thought how to get to it. For example use the villards lift. We skied down to it this morning and to my amusement the priority queue serving my wife and son was slower than the normal one serving me. I skied straight onto the lift.

I'm expecting the first 2 weeks of half term to be very busy. The next two less so. If you are coming then then much like Christmas week expect the priority queues to save about 2 mins. During the first two weeks expect a saving of about 5 minutes per lift.

To add to the confusion about beer prices at the follies douce we are having lunch here at the moment. A small beer cost 4 euros and was about 30cl.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, Question about the Follie Douce, in the marketing blurb it mentioned having a designated kids area, is that actually the case?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wills_h, We haven't seen it, but then again we haven't looked for one.

We had lunch there today and thought the burger place was good value for money. 16 euro for burger, chips and coleslaw; just a bit more than the Rocky Mountain in Arc1600

It has taken some trade away from the the Arpette. Both play terrible music at high volume. The Follie Douce is cheeper. The Arpette has better views, particularly of sunset and is much more convenient to get home from.

Today we went up the Varet telecabine and though the black runs are marked as closed, the pistuers were putting up the piste markers. We cut across to the old flying course which of course is no longer a piste so we were not skiing down a closed piste. The snow was excellent all the way down. We all agreeed it was the best run of the holiday so far. Only two other people all the way down.
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
@johnE, Question about the Follie Douce, in the marketing blurb it mentioned having a designated kids area, is that actually the case?

I would like to know that as well, especially if anything suitable for 2-3 yr olds...
ski holidays
Happy New Year all Very Happy
snow conditions
Another beautiful day.

Happy New year everyone.

Today is our last day and we are not on a first to last lift effort. The whole family is feeling a bit under the weather and a bit tired these last few days. Me in particular. I suspect a minor stomach bug. I think I'll save myself for the night time descent from the arpette and go out after lunch

The last few days the pistes have held up very well considering the traffic. Ther3 is soft snow on the higher red and black pistes, but the "side piste" is largely tracked out.

Anyone coming out next week should have a good time; good pistes and no crowds.
snow report
Some of the pistes are now becoming a bit dangerous, the snow is hard packed and the blue pistes in particular are very crowded. Fortunately I have seen few blood wagons so all those accidents aren't quite happening.

The numbers out side the arpette this afternoon are a bit less than usual but there are no student groups out so perhaps it not suprising. The follie douce hasn't completely killed the place.

It is a beautiful sunset to finish off a good 12 days skiing
latest report
Hello all. Sorry to take the topic off the weather - but wondering whether anyone recommends a boot / ski shop for touring gear? Staying in 1800 but have a car and happy to travel. I’m looking to demo and probably buy some new touring skis and bindings, and also have new boots, bought last season elsewhere, which I think will need further adjusting.

Any pointers much appreciated - am not familiar with the Arcs. Thanks!
snow report
Are there any free surface lifts in Plan Peisey? Just want to have a few quick short runs the day before my lift pass kicks in, to help get the ski legs working!
ski holidays
Personally I’d check out Labo in Bourg, it’s right by the McDonalds. They have a shop in 1800 as well but it’s much smaller and the range in the one in Bourg is great.
snow report
@winterstickboarder, Sorry, I don’t believe there are
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
@winterstickboarder, Sorry, I don’t believe there are
ah okay. Thanks anyway Smile
ski holidays
@winterstickboarder, if you have a 6+ day pass it is also valid for the previous afternoon. Pick it up as soon as you arrive and you can go where you like. (Not sure when "afternoon" starts.)
latest report
@ecureuil, The extra half day only comes with the essential pass not the classic pass that most people buy. Otherwise it is an extra 43 euros, which is a bit weird since an 6 day essentials pass only costs 31 euro more.

In fact the website is rather ambiquous about this https://en.lesarcs.com/the-passes.html

Has anyone actually tested this out?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Has anyone actually tested this out?

Tested what out exactly?

We get our lift pass on the La Plagne side but get the 0.5 day. Used it since it was introduced. Starts at 12:30.
ski holidays
@ecureuil, @winterstickboarder, I believe they stated that 'afternoon' starts at 12 noon for the free half day when we booked our passes. With the Classic pass, to ski over to La Plagne from Les Arcs, you have to pay an extra 20 euros per day. This is included in the Essentials pass, making it similar to the Local vs Area passes of other resorts. You also get to use to Priority queues in the Essential pass, but not the Classic pass. May or may not be useful depending on when you go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, I assume by your previous posts you had an essentials pass. I was wondering who had tried out the classic pass with half day extra.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@Layne, I assume by your previous posts you had an essentials pass. I was wondering who had tried out the classic pass with half day extra.

Ah OK.

That concept doesn't exist on the La Plagne side. They just say:

FREE : extra ½ day with every Paradiski pass valid for 6 to 15 consecutive days
The day before the first day of skiing from 12:30 pm.
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
@winterstickboarder, if you have a 6+ day pass it is also valid for the previous afternoon. Pick it up as soon as you arrive and you can go where you like. (Not sure when "afternoon" starts.)
thanks. I will double check with the rep once I'm in resort but that could be handy.
snow report
wills_h wrote:
Personally I’d check out Labo in Bourg, it’s right by the McDonalds. They have a shop in 1800 as well but it’s much smaller and the range in the one in Bourg is great.
thanks!
snow report
@winterstickboarder Having looked into it a bit further, I think johnE is correct. The free extra half day only comes with the Essential pass.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

Yes, we had this when we were out Christmas week (Arc 1950). We arrived early Saturday morning and skied from 12:30 for the afternoon (included for ‘free’ on our 6 day pass). We also had free entry to the Igloo ice sculptures (v impressive!), fast passes for some lifts (not needed Christmas week). We felt it was worth the money.
latest report
Arrived in 2000 last night. Haven’t had a chance to check conditions as housekeeping stuff to do in apartment but looks ok out there. Looks skiing conditions. More later.
snow report
@X5OT76, Did you have a classic or essential pass. Since you are taling about free entries and queue jumping facility I assume you had a essential pass, which definately has a free half day. It is the classic pass (the cheeper one) I am curious about.

@thefatcontroller, When I left on Thursday the piste were rock hard. It hasn't snowed since so I would suggest skiing or excessively padded shorts.
ski holidays
Just had a wonderful couple of days with blue skies and pistes in good condition if a bit hard in places. Much quieter than Friday, which was a tad frantic in places. No queues anywhere I went. Cold enough for them to run the snow cannons this morning so a few mounds to avoid.

@johnE, sorry to miss you - hope to see you next time you're down!
ski holidays
Way better out there than expected, we skied the whole area and we will board tomorrow but not below Derby height, gets a bit icy then but considering how long it has been since fresh and its been new years week the pistes are in amazing conditions. Sun was shining bright but cold enough for cannons to be on over by 1600 in the morning. Got to go to Bourg in the morning but will try board tomorrow afternoon. Had lunch at Enfant Terribles above Peisey 2300, expensive and very slow service. The Boulles in the bowl was heaving but great value mid afternoon.

Sad admission, but shopping in the Huit a Huit in 1950 is still one of our favorite food shopping experiences, incredible choice, very high quality but also a sign we are back out in the Alps..

Some dull photos...

Below Plagnettes run looking at 2000

Same again

About 3pm, very busy but great service and great value

From the Bulle looking back up the valley
ski holidays
In the end we didn't actually get out today. Had late breakfast and we needed to go to Bourg and by the time we got back from Bourg we realised it was 4pm so no point. Glorious day in Bourg

The new Funi cars have no front driver, there is driver cabin a bit back so great views from the front window

Questions for those in the know...

What is being built beside Bois lift, I assume more apartments?
As you stand in Bourg and look at the mountain opposite from Les Arcs there are some amazing houses high up above Bourg, are these farms? Whats up there, amazing but seems to be heading nowhere!!
ski holidays
Quote:
What is being built beside Bois lift,

Called Hameau des Oursons, it will be a 7 storey complex run by VIP-Ski of, I think, chalet-hotel type accommodation, with allegedly some seasonnaire accommodation. Right outside my balcony... but fortunately doesn't ruin our view of Mont Blanc. Running late, now due to open Dec. 2020 Part of the Arc 2000 commune (Despite Arc 1950 being in between...)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy