Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@Arctic Roll, been on a conference call for an hour. Happy to trade places.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Likewise staying in till lunch time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re just getting sorted to head out. Plan is to lap a couple of the open 2000 lifts. Daughter is a bit fluey so doesn’t fancy a hot crowded bus. Would love to meet up for a beer at some point over the week but unlikely to make the Arpette this afternoon,

Sharon ( with hubby Paul, Charlie 20, Skye 20 and Claire 23)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowlamb, another day then. We're around in till the 2nd
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Vagere is running. Not much visibility above 2100m, but clearer below. Plenty of fun to be had on and just off the piste (although caution: avy 4).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are staying in 1950 for 10 days in January. Can anyone recommend a good English speaking ski school for our 3 year old? He will of turned 4 by the time we get there and has done a few lessons at Chill Factore and has really enjoyed it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tordi wrote:
We are staying in 1950 for 10 days in January. Can anyone recommend a good English speaking ski school for our 3 year old? He will of turned 4 by the time we get there and has done a few lessons at Chill Factore and has really enjoyed it.

My Kids got on well with this crowd: https://www.spirit1950.com/welcome
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tordi, as above, miniroll was with Spirit from age 3 until 14, (at which point she got bored and wanted to ski with us) . They obviously taught well as she thrashes the pants off us now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowlamb, am likely to be in George's wine bar for Apres at some stage. Ask the eponymous owner for Jim.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not long till we head out Very Happy Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tordi wrote:

We have used Spirit 1950 / Evolution 2 for the past 7 years in different resorts. Daughters are now 12 and 9 and still have lessons, albeit a couple of private ones this year during the week, as we really enjoy skiing as a family nowadays. Highly recommend them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went up to 1600 then got Cachette, half the family hated it so we skied back to 1600 and got the funi back down. We’ll try again tomorrow. Now I’m going for a few beers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deep enough for face shots in the trees above Arc 1800 Happy Then some entertainment in the Folie Douce at lunchtime. Not a bad morning for a grotty December day wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow was fantastic in 2000 bowl, but oh! The crowds. With just 2 lifts running it was as bad as I've seen. Did three runs and decided we'd done our bit!
The owner at Chalet pre St Esprit said he'd cleared 70cm off the deck yesterday, another 60 by lunchtime today...

Still snowing, they're still blasting. It's going to be epic when it's finally open!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peisey Vallandry area excellent today, with superb tree skiing. Vis OK ish.
ski holidays
Fun in the trees above Arc 1800.

ski holidays
Awesome, wish I was there!
snow report
Found some nice thigh deep powder after leaving @rob@rar, at the arpette then lapped the vizelle lift in untracked powder.
Not a bad end to the day. It was getting dark when we got back
latest report
johnE wrote:
Found some nice thigh deep powder after leaving @rob@rar, at the arpette then lapped the vizelle lift in untracked powder.
Not a bad end to the day. It was getting dark when we got back
Nice work! Good to meet you and the family.
latest report
Here's a little video clip showing how deep it was in the trees above Arc 1800. Snow reports seem to indicate over a metre of fresh since Friday night.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3346916558684067
ski holidays
Wow, that looks awesome, can't wait to explore Les Arc for the first time! A month until we head out, just hope the roads are fine to drive up to 1800 at 2100.

Have a great Christmas everyone and thanks for you help!
snow report
Didn’t go for beers in the end, we had a quick lunch and then drove up to Villaroger, parked about 30ft from the Replat lift and had a few goes through the trees. It was quiet, vis was okay and the snow was good.
ski holidays
The weather still doesn't look great. So sitting the apartment watching the snow ploughs at the moment and trying to identify which mound of snow is my car
snow conditions
After that we've quit early today. Rain, strong wind and poor visibility. Am I getting soft in my old age?
latest report
johnE wrote:
After that we've quit early today. Rain, strong wind and poor visibility. Am I getting soft in my old age?

Nope we quit after 1.5 hours today after being out for most of the day the last two.

Looks like the bad weather is finished though so early start tomorrow!!
ski holidays
Merry Christmas from Les Arcs. The storm finally departs, leaving mild, sunny weather. Perfect for Christmas Day.

Yesterday’s rain has taken its toll on conditions below 2000m. Think inclined ice rink rather than snowy piste. Above, conditions are perfect, no other word for it. Slight crust off-piste, rain or wind depending on altitude, and perfect piste conditions. Not too busy, most lifts have been ski on, barring the usual queue at Arcabulle, but even that was only a few minutes.
latest report
I was thinking it was quite busy out today. We have more or less had the resort to ourselves the last 4 days so I suppose normal crowds look busy.
As a measure of the benefit of the essentials lift pass we just arrived at derby and used our passes to jump the queue. My friend had to take the normal queue. It was over 2 minutes before he arrived at the top. It also shows just how few essential passes are sold
snow conditions
I'm in the follie douce at the moment and it appears that @rob@rar, is correct a beer outside is 5 euros. There is only one size. I was in the restaurant the other day looking at the menu. The glass even has 50cl on it.
I stand corrected
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Merry Christmas to all. Had a great day out on piste and very fortunate to lay some first tracks down an unpisted Ecuriels. Well over the knees, it was simply awesome fluffy stuff. As R@R says, bit icy lower down, but simply perfect up high.
snow report
Hi all, we're due to arrive in Arc 1800 on a January Saturday night, staying at Alpages de Chantel.
We land at GVA at at 15:30 and booked a private transfer, so realistically we'll arrive there no earlier than 19:30.
Problem is, by then Le Petit Marché at Edenarc across the piste will be closed for the night...

Does anyone have any good ideas how we can stock up at least for the first evening and morning?
Is there a delivery service we can order just to get started? I'm also checking with our transfer if we can stop on the way,
but having a toddler with us I'd rather not delay our arrival at the resort any further.

Cheers and Merry Christmas all!
snow conditions
Getting your transfer to stop for a 10 minute supermarket sweep is your best bet I'd say, you'll pass plenty of places en route just ask to stop at a small shop.
ski holidays
Thanks for the ski school recommendations folks. I think we will go with Spirit. One more (probably naive) question - if I book a 6 day block, but minigrom doesn't want to go everyday, will the ski school get miffed at me? Or is it acceptable that the tiddlers won't attend everyday? I don't want to waste their time....
snow conditions
Looking for some knowledge of transfers from Geneva airport to Bourg next week.
Was thinking of coming out Monday and returning Saturday but struggling to find train or bus times for some reason - just looking in wrong place I reckon. Anyone any info or could lift share possibly?
latest report
Tordi wrote:
Thanks for the ski school recommendations folks. I think we will go with Spirit. One more (probably naive) question - if I book a 6 day block, but minigrom doesn't want to go everyday, will the ski school get miffed at me? Or is it acceptable that the tiddlers won't attend everyday? I don't want to waste their time....

I’m sure they won’t care as you’ll have paid regardless of whether your child attends. Only downside I can see is that they may fall behind the rest of the group progression-wise?
snow report
chenav wrote:
Hi all, we're due to arrive in Arc 1800 on a January Saturday night, staying at Alpages de Chantel.
We land at GVA at at 15:30 and booked a private transfer, so realistically we'll arrive there no earlier than 19:30.
Problem is, by then Le Petit Marché at Edenarc across the piste will be closed for the night...

Does anyone have any good ideas how we can stock up at least for the first evening and morning?
Is there a delivery service we can order just to get started? I'm also checking with our transfer if we can stop on the way,
but having a toddler with us I'd rather not delay our arrival at the resort any further.

Cheers and Merry Christmas all!

Intermarché and super U both next to the road to LA as it leaves Bourg for the climb up the mountain.

Also, supermarkets available in Charvet (main shops below your residence) access pedestrian lift until late, and Villards by the base of Transarc lift and five minutes walk from the same pedestrian access lift, that's a Sherpa food shop. Both have decent stock for on mountain shops. I doubt you'll be stuck if you arrive predicted time.
ski holidays
@snowheid, for train times try https://www.thetrainline.com/, bus times are harder to find since there appears to be multiple companies offering transfers. My memories are that there are two companies https://www.altibus.com/, which I must be reading wrong since it appears to charge 89 euros one way and https://bookings.bensbus.co.uk/ which only appears to operate on weekends.

There are some links somewhere on snowheads to the rest of the companies.

You might find a lift share on https://www.blablacar.fr/

The other alternative is to hire a car at Geneva
Quote:

Intermarché and super U both next to the road to LA as it leaves Bourg for the climb up the mountain.

You have to tell the driver to go through the centre of Bourg since the signposted route to Les Arcs turns off well before the railway station. It only adds 5 minutes or so to the journey time
snow report
ski3 wrote:
Also, supermarkets available in Charvet (main shops below your residence) access pedestrian lift until late, and Villards by the base of Transarc lift and five minutes walk from the same pedestrian access lift, that's a Sherpa food shop. Both have decent stock for on mountain shops. I doubt you'll be stuck if you arrive predicted time.
What time do the Spa and Sherpa shops close on a Saturday evening? I thought it was 7.30pm?

If you aren't able to get groceries on the way, there is a cafe in Alpage du Chantel (building 1, the highest of the buildings) that does pizza, burgers, tartiflette, (eat in or takeaway) that will cover you for the meal that first evening.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
ski3 wrote:
What time do the Spa and Sherpa shops close on a Saturday evening? I thought it was 7.30pm?

If you aren't able to get groceries on the way, there is a cafe in Alpage du Chantel (building 1, the highest of the buildings) that does pizza, burgers, tartiflette, (eat in or takeaway) that will cover you for the meal that first evening.

8am to 8pm, confirmed on their website just now. Huit à huit for Sherpa Villards. Very Happy

I can never remember the name of the one in Charvet, but on the lower level and usually packed after lifts close.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

That's a good idea, thank you and everyone else for their suggestions.
snow report
Hi! Does anyone want to share a transfer between Geneve and Arc 1800? We're staying 11th to 18th of January. We have already booked and would like to lower our (and your) costs while saving the environment. Happy

More info can be found here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150114

Please either PM or respond in the linked thread.

Cheers!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy