Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@snowlamb, new for this season, there are three Les Arcs-only passes: Classic, Essential & Premium. The Classic and the Premium versions have th e1/2 day free. More details here. I'd guess you have the Classic version if you have a 1/2 day free.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
@snowlamb, new for this season, there are three Les Arcs-only passes: Classic, Essential & Premium. The Classic and the Premium versions have th e1/2 day free. More details here. I'd guess you have the Classic version if you have a 1/2 day free.

Not sure that is correct Rob - Classic is the local and doesn't include the free half day, Essential and Premium the Paradiski ones with the free half day. That's what I am seeing anyhow.

@snowlamb - sounds like you have an Essential pass to me but best check with Sunweb.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
Not sure that is correct Rob - Classic is the local and doesn't include the free half day, Essential and Premium the Paradiski ones with the free half day. That's what I am seeing anyhow.
Ah, apologies, you're correct. Speed reading and I skipped the relevant part of the table. Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
live cams are now back on. Clearly got brexit sorted @Old Fartbag
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll wrote:
Glad somebody is on top of it! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
Glad somebody is on top of it! wink

Unless going to Arc 2000. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, nope, 2000 is running (I'm enjoying it as I type!)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The naming of the passes as Classic, Essential & Premium is not very clear. Surely the names should reflect what you get. To me the essential pass would be the basic and the classic the enhanced.

Better names would be "Basic", "Enhanced" and "are you really a billionaire"

The habit some people had of calling them "Local Area" and "Full Area" confused me for a while since to me "Loacal Area" refered to the pass you could get for 1600/1800 side of the mountain (or 2000 for that matter) and "full area" to the Les Arcs full area.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Old Fartbag, nope, 2000 is running (I'm enjoying it as I type!)

When I go direct from the Google Live Cam link, it doesn't work - but when I go to the Live Cam section on the main Webcam page, it does. Very French!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
The naming of the passes as Classic, Essential & Premium is not very clear. Surely the names should reflect what you get. To me the essential pass would be the basic and the classic the enhanced.

Better names would be "Basic", "Enhanced" and "are you really a billionaire"

The habit some people had of calling them "Local Area" and "Full Area" confused me for a while since to me "Loacal Area" refered to the pass you could get for 1600/1800 side of the mountain (or 2000 for that matter) and "full area" to the Les Arcs full area.

'Local passes for Local people' Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
The naming of the passes as Classic, Essential & Premium is not very clear.

Stupid to call something essential but have something lower grade.

Essential it clearly is not in this case.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They've pulled the picnic tables out of view on the Grizzly shot. Darn it, those have been my gauge for scale of snow depth for the last couple of weeks... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jez, the livecam of 2000 looks terrifying....

https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, Ice Station Zebra
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wills_h wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Ice Station Zebra

We own a place beside Lanchette chair. 2000 is quite a scary place when a storm sets in...
ski holidays
Looks a bit blustery!
snow report
@thefatcontroller, I've only ever stayed there once a long time ago, but I do remember the wind howling around outside. Came up for an evening a couple of seasons ago and got lost looking for Whistlers, again that wasn't a very nice evening to be traipsing around looking for a bar
latest report
There are crazy people walking around outside up there Laughing
snow report
@wills_h, Some of them are working, checking lifts etc.
snow report
Hello,
Does anybody know if winter tires are now mandatory in the alps? I hear something about a new french law that requires all vehicles to have winter tires in the mountains.
I plan on renting a car from Lyon and as far as I can tell it won't have winter tires (I will get snow chains though). Is there a risk of not being allowed to get up the mountain road with the rental?
latest report
@crisu64, Winter tyres aren't mandatory, special equipment is. This can be either winter tyres, snow chains or approved snow socks. If it happens to be snowing when you arrive and the gendames are checking the roads, you'll not be allowed to carry on without one of these.
ski holidays
Definitely Classic, Essential and Premium https://en.lesarcs.com/the-passes.html
snow report
@wills_h got it, thanks.
snow conditions
crisu64 wrote:
I plan on renting a car from Lyon and as far as I can tell it won't have winter tires (I will get snow chains though). Is there a risk of not being allowed to get up the mountain road with the rental?
Can you pay a bit extra for a car with winter tyres?

If you fit chains the police will let you up the road. If you don;'t have chains (or the chains are the wrong size and you can't get them to fit, which can happen with rental cars) there is a possibility that you will be turned back by the police if the road conditions are very bad.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, getting a car with winter tires costs twice as much as the car I plan on getting... I'd rather get a private transfer at that price.
It's a shame I can't get a shared transfer from Lyon. I can only find private transfers that are at least 350E Sad
snow report
@crisu64, have you considered https://altibus.com?
ski holidays
crisu64 wrote:
@rob@rar, getting a car with winter tires costs twice as much as the car I plan on getting...
It's a shame the cost is that much. It's the reason I always fly to Geneva if I'm renting a car, to ensure a get winters as part of the price.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
It's a shame the cost is that much. It's the reason I always fly to Geneva if I'm renting a car, to ensure a get winters as part of the price.

this

Of course, getting the train is better in so many ways...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also: has anyone had the alleged email from Advantages Proprietaires explaining the new deal? Supposedly Thursday.

And as far as I can tell, the website isn't there yet either. Supposedly today.

Are they on strike?
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

this

Of course, getting the train is better in so many ways...

When they're not on strike Laughing
snow report
Hi All, I am staying in Residences L'Armoise in 1800. I have been told by the owner I should follow the hairpin where you see Jardin Alpin ski lift on the right and enter the Village des Villards, and park in Villards municipal parking. I'm guessing that means anywhere in Village des Villards? I'm looking at the resort map i have and google maps. I have a code that i need to punch in at the entrance terminal which will give me a ticket for getting in and out, so I'm thinking its a car park. Thanks,
ski holidays
Hmmm, I'll check if I can use the train, but I don't think I can make it back for the return flight in time. I need to be at 9 30am in Lyon airport. I don't think I can get out of Peisey early enough in the morning to catch a train in time...
latest report
@dogsheds, I think it will be the multi story carpark in Villards, it's pretty clearly signposted as you drive through.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-12-19 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@crisu64, agreed: v. unlikely to be able to get to Lyon airport by train for that time.
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
@dogsheds, I think it will be the multi story carpark in Villards, it's pretty clearly signposted as you drive through.

Thanks, I found a better map of the resort, and then found it on google maps. Happy days.

I'm collecting my car from Geneva French side, so by the looks of it i don't need a vignette. But google maps shows me i can either go along lake Annecy or around the motorway. It will Saturday 25th of Jan at 1900 when we leave Geneva, so any preferred route?
latest report
dogsheds wrote:
But google maps shows me i can either go along lake Annecy or around the motorway. It will Saturday 25th of Jan at 1900 when we leave Geneva, so any preferred route?
Around the lake is more scenic, although at 7pm you won't see much. The motorway is a little quicker, but more expensive as you spend more on road tolls. I tend to go via Annecy, especially during the day, but have once or twice got caught in traffic, when staying on the motorway wold have been the better option.
ski holidays
A little bit of video from the Bulle Café on the opening day of the season. Looks a bit wild up there!
latest report
@rob@rar, "tempête" indeed, as the camera-lady says. Doesn't look there are any lifts going in the 2000 bowl. could see Vagere working out of 1800 but not Carreley, so would posit the links are closed too.
snow report
Skiers are out and about. No sign of any lift queues at Vagere or Combettes on the web cams Smile.

Arc2000 looks very quiet
snow report
Well they appear to have released details of HOW you collect points in the owners advantage programme, but not their value (Monday)

Incredibly (and possibly unnecessarily?) complex: here's an extract:

2. Earning points if your apartment is SELF-MANAGED by you.
a – Points earned when the apartment is let directly: 50 pts/occupant/week (1 week = 7 nights)
b – Points earned when the apartment is occupied by you or lent free of charge to your friends and family: 25 pts/occupant/week
+ Bonus points/occupant/week in proportion to the level of classification: 1 Crystal = 10 points, 2 Crystals = 20 points, and so on …

EG #1 : SELF-MANAGED studio with 2 crystals, let for 1 week, occupied by 4 people. =
(50+20) x 4 tenants = 280 points for the week
EG #2 : In case of short stay, for the same SELF-MANAGED studio with 2 crystals, let for 3 nights, occupied by 2 people. = (50+20)/7*3 x 2 tenants = 60 points for this short stay.

When staying as an owner you need to wi-fi register in and out, but for your guests it's a signed affidavit from you that you really did rent out.
For those of us still in leaseback, fixed numbers of points for the season based on crystals and size of apartment, irrespective of occupancy levels.

As I say, supposedly Monday for details on what this blizzard of points will buy us.

Be still my beating heart...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy