Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@Artois, There is a navette between Vallandry and Arc 1800, from there you can take the next Navette to Arc 1600 and hence to Arc 2000. Taxis and private cars are not permitted to use the road between Vallandry and and Arc 1800. There are details somewhere on the internet,
Quote:

Thanks Rob really helpful - I could prob use the tour operators transfer bus back down to Bourg and hop off there - sounds like the easiest option - I’d booked the first week inc flights home before I booked the second week so have a place on the transfer - and a flight I’m not taking!!

The only problem with this is the tour operator bus will probably not go to Bourg but simply turn left at Landry and head off straight to Moutiers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, does the Vallandry-1800 navette run reliably? The only occasion that I've needed it (for a friend to travel from Vallandry to me in 1800) it was suspended (this was several years ago).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve just been checking that - according to the tourist office it should run - I can pop in there during the week to double check!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, I think it does say that it is provisional on the road being open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it a road that is just open for the shuttle only?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Artois wrote:
Is it a road that is just open for the shuttle only?
Yes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, I think it is also open for emergency vehicles. It is not the road that you drive along in the summer. That becomes a piste
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Artois wrote:
Thanks Rob really helpful - I could prob use the tour operators transfer bus back down to Bourg and hop off there - sounds like the easiest option - I’d booked the first week inc flights home before I booked the second week so have a place on the transfer - and a flight I’m not taking!!
I think that would be a plan, although you might have to sweet talk the transfer driver to drop you off at the funicular as it probably wouldn't be on their normal route. If not there, getting dropped off at the train station and then a 5-10 minute walk to the funicular means the rest of the journey to Arc 2000 is relatively straightforward.

Artois]

This definitely sounds the best option.

Which Club Med are you staying at - 2000, or the new one just above 1600? Either way, it's the 2000 bus from the top of the Funi that you'll need.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
iainm wrote:
Crikey...I'm arriving on Friday to ski on opening day. Looking forward to testing the new funicular.
Any advice for where best to ski in a white out?
I'd guess that some of the lifts will be subject to a delayed opening on Saturday morning, as Thursday night/Friday day/Friday night look set to deliver lots of snow accompanied by high winds. There'll be a lot of work to do to open some of the lifts, especially higher ones. When this happens lapping around the lower lifts from Arc 1600, 1800 and Vallandry is a good (and sometimes only) option. So Mont Blanc, Cachette, Vagere, Derby and Vallandry chairlifts give plenty of options through the trees.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the wind speeds until now. Yes, clearly will be closed higher up. Any skiing is good skiing though!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update on the new Owners' programme:

Anyone who has 'been classified, or in the process' will get an email this Thursday.
Details of the benefits of the scheme will be on line on Friday.

Oh, the anticipation and excitement. And what with that voting thing in the UK as well, it's more than a man can bear...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It looks as if the storm has now at least partially passed. The live cam at combettes shows it still snowing, the snowpark has sunshine and blue skies, vager has both with the snow cannon running.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
It looks as if the storm has now at least partially passed. The live cam at combettes shows it still snowing, the snowpark has sunshine and blue skies, vager has both with the snow cannon running.
Looking at the tracks in the fresh snow on the Combettes live-in I'd say 25cm of new snow at that altitude? Tricky to know for certain, especially as it was bit windy, but looks like a decent amount of fresh snow. Forecast for this weekend looks like it will be perhaps double that amount.

All I can say is Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arctic Roll wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Artois wrote:
I think that would be a plan, although you might have to sweet talk the transfer driver to drop you off at the funicular as it probably wouldn't be on their normal route. If not there, getting dropped off at the train station and then a 5-10 minute walk to the funicular means the rest of the journey to Arc 2000 is relatively straightforward.

Artois]

This definitely sounds the best option.

Which Club Med are you staying at - 2000, or the new one just above 1600? Either way, it's the 2000 bus from the top of the Funi that you'll need.

@Arctic Roll - the older one in 2000 - thanks all for the travel tips

Snow is looking pretty good on the webcams this morning Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Looking at the tracks in the fresh snow on the Combettes live-in I'd say 25cm of new snow at that altitude?

Indeed. Judging by how heavy it was snowing I thought more would settle. Hopefully it has some mass to it and will form a decent base. I can recall a much greater depth a few years ago and a fantastic start to the season. Last year I can recall some lovely snow at Christmas in the Grand Col and off the Varet telecabine. I'm getting quite excited about the start of the season.

11 more days until I step into my bindings at the bottom of the Combettes. Now is the time to fill the screen washer bottle with the -30 stuff and start finding my winter ski equipment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the Altiport Restaurant this morning:

snow report
johnE wrote:
Indeed. Judging by how heavy it was snowing I thought more would settle.
Meteo France reporting 35-45cm in the Tarentaise snowHead
snow conditions
I know the discussion above is related to Arcs 2000 to Villandry.... but i was reminded of this on Top Gear when Richard Hammond raced some skiers from 1950 to Villaroger...

http://youtube.com/v/Ev6VNjFuNG0
latest report
Very Happy I'd forgotten that one - I've watched the Verbier Top Gear challenge a few times!
snow report
Hello. First timer here.
Coming to Peisey Vallandry on January 11th, counting down the days... Smile
I have a question about ski passes, I've read that with the Les Arcs - Peisey pass you get a free day in La Plagne, but this is not stated for the current classic pass (the 271e one). Was the one day removed this year ?
And one more thing, I'll get a rental car from Lyon and I have an early departure flight, so I have to head back to Lyon very early in the morning, around 6 a.m. Will the road be cleared this early if it snows the previous night?

Thank you.
latest report
@crisu64, welcome!

The 1 day in La Plagne option has been removed this year for the "Classic" pass. Sad

You'll either need to buy the €20 daily extension at the Peisey lift pass office (2 mins from the Vanoise Express - the other side of the main Peisey lift), or the 'Essential' pass, unlimited access to both domains which is €41 more (for 6 days), which also gives you the other benefits as per the website.

Afraid I can't categorically comment on Peisey roads.

I do know that road from 2000, after heavy snowfall, is often closed until about 7am: but that's generally because of avalanche risk onto the road and they don't want anyone on it until they've cleared things away. It's not something I'd have thought was a problem from your end of the domain. It may not be cleared (you'd be driving on the white stuff), or there may be ploughs on the road, but I can't imagine it would be closed - but always ready to learn from those with more knowledge!
latest report
Thank you Arctic Roll!
I will get the classic pass then, it will probably be enough for six days from I've read, especially since it's our first time in the area.
What do you think about the 'First Tracks' option? Is it worth the 25e?
snow report
@crisu64, Welcome to snowheads

Quote:

Will the road be cleared this early if it snows the previous night?

Possibly

The road upto 1600 is ploughed throughout the night, but until the traffic starts getting heavy it will have a couple cm of snow on it. It is often snow covered upto 8 in the morning after overnight snow, sometimes all day. The road upto Peisey has less traffic on it and may be ploughed only every hour or so. It depends. They will try to keep it open and some traffic will be on it throughout the night. Accidents do happen and roads can be closed, tour busses get stuck sometimes. Personally I try not to let these things worry me.

If it snows overnight you may want to allow extra time to put snow chains on.
snow report
@crisu64, You are an early bird. Since I can never get out of bed early enougth I have never used it, but always think that it is a good idea.

Also for mid January I'd get a classic pass. There will be very few lift queues so the queue jumping facility of the essential pass will not be much use. One's wife and one had a paradiski season passes last year and spent 30 days in Les Arcs. We went to La Plagne 3 times.
snow report
@crisu64, friends of mine did it, said it was a great morning - coffee and croissants at the top, but IIRC they had to stick to specific routes down. Of course, their body clocks were all out then, and were in the pub for a 10:30 "lunchtime bevvy"...

I stayed in bed until normal opening time!
snow report
@JohnE, thanks for the info, much appreciate it.
I'm not usually an early bird, quite the contrary Smile, but my flight back home departs at 11:30 a.m, so I need to get to Lyon airport by 9, to have enough time to drop the rental car.

@Arctic Roll, got it, I think I will skip it this time, leave something for my next visit to Les Arcs Smile
snow conditions
Hi all I’m heading out on Sunday and have had someone drop out due to Ill health - anyone want a cheap catered trip or are there any solo skiers in les Arcs next week that I could ski with?
snow report
@crisu64, 6:00 departure will allow you plenty of time.
latest report
@crisu64, The Essential does also give you the extra half-day on the Saturday you arrive, which admittedly is only valuable if you can use it! Check whether you can get a pass from whoever you've booked with - we have got the Essential pass for same as Classic

Have left Peisey around 7am before and roads were clear, or in process of being cleared.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, arriving in Peisey Vallandry after 3pm and can't use the extra half-day, so I'll get the classic. I should be able to get a discount from my host.

Btw, I booked a studio in Michailles residence, looks very close to the slopes. I hope it will have decent conditions. Do you have any reasonably priced restaurant recommendation in the area?

Thanks for the info.
ski holidays
@crisu64, can’t help with restaurants I’m afraid. Self cater and with three hungry teens eating out is expensive!

Plenty around though in Peisey and short walk to Vallandry
ski holidays
We will also self cater for the most meals, but I also want to eat out once or twice.
I'm sure we'll find something.
snow conditions
All the live cams now functioning, well they turned the plug on for Arc 2000. Yeah, great way to keep busy on conference calls.

https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html
snow conditions
From the webcams looks like another top-up overnight, and now a slight lull before the next storm comes though. Meteo Alpes forecasting as much as 1m of fresh snow (at 2000m) in some of the Savoie and Haute Savoie resorts during Friday and Saturday, accompanied by moderate to high winds, clearing from Sunday.
snow report
@rob@rar, next few days looking very interesting. This is from https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/#2 which we have always found very accurate.

snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
All the live cams now functioning, well they turned the plug on for Arc 2000. Yeah, great way to keep busy on conference calls.

Not now. Looks like someone pressed the wrong button. They've all been made private on YouTube, so you can't see them via the Les Arcs website or direct on YouTube.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Not now. Looks like someone pressed the wrong button. They've all been made private on YouTube, so you can't see them via the Les Arcs website or direct on YouTube.

It was on. Its the Les Arcs tourist board, they have only just realised it is winter, probably turn them on again in March
latest report
@thefatcontroller, Laughing

It's an odd mistake. They've been running fine for a couple of weeks at least, and I spotted the Arc 2000 one was operational yesterday. Now they've all gone dark.
snow conditions
Quote:

It was on. Its the Les Arcs tourist board, they have only just realised it is winter, probably turn them on again in March

Perhaps they don't want people to see that the resort is covered in snow.
ski holidays
I blame Brexit - now we're leaving, we have lost our access! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I've got a question about the free afternoon offered with some of the lift passes. I'm a bit confused (easily done i admit Confused ) We've just received our holiday vouchers from Sunweb and it says that our lift pass includes the Sat afternoon free. I'm pretty sure we've only got the Les Arc pass and i thought this didn't include the afternoon offer. Before I start trawling through the resort website I thought i'd check and see if anyone here know the answer? Does the local pass offer this or not? Is it worth rushing up the hill to get a few cheeky runs in?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy