Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller wrote:
@johnE, got some passes to buy so need them to announce the scheme. Their initial idea broke every aspect of GDPR and I think that was mentioned to them hence they have had to go back to the drawing board.

Yes it was indeed mentioned to them that expecting an apartment owner to hand over the names of anyone staying in their place is the definition of a GDPR fine waiting to happen, and then to expect said vacationer to log in everyday to the public Les Arcs wi-fi to 'prove' they were still there ( and hence the renter can claim their points) is just completely stupid - since the vacationer gets nothing from the scheme, it simply ain't going to happen.

Utter madness.

Rob: those of us in leaseback ( ie effectively renting out every week we're not there) got 1x 30% discount code on a single transaction purchase of up to 8 simultaneously running passes, plus 2x 15% vouchers. Whether it was 'fair' or not is moot, but taking it away is certainly a consideration when WE think about where we are going to do with 2nd and 3rd vacations, or perhaps more pertinently, when the leaseback is next up for renewal (in 2 years iirc)

The big issue atm is: IF they are going to offer worthwhile recompense for having my apartment fully occupied (a scheme for which I apparently have to pay for the privilege just as you do), then handing out points at the end of the season means this season has nothing, and that is mildly irritating. Not even knowing what they are doing, is mildly disappointing.

They've got to come up with something that encourages warm beds: I'd agree the old scheme didn't have a lot going for it for private renters. But the radio silence (and it would appear not even bothering to ask their apartment owners what works for them) is arrogant in the extreme.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Arctic Roll, what I’m trying to understand is how the scheme provided an incentive for owners to fill what might otherwise be empty beds. The rewards on offer were not so great that as a private renter I was incentivised to find additional guests, and the discount to my guests simply was not a factor in them choosing Les Arcs. For you and other leaseback owners a bonus of cheaper passes might have been nice, but I’m sure that it wasn’t a factor in you deciding to buy in 1950 and I’m sure it won’t be a factor in decisions on whether to renew leaseback contracts. If anything, its main factor is negative as you are understandably frustrated at its removal. I don’t think the previous scheme influenced behaviour, and for the new scheme to encourage me to bring more guests to the resort they will have to be more generous in their loyalty scheme, for me and my renters.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looked like it was belting down with snow this morning when I first got up but seems to have either stopped or started raining now? The forecast for the next week looks a little bonkers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
@Arctic Roll, what I’m trying to understand is how the scheme provided an incentive for owners to fill what might otherwise be empty beds. The rewards on offer were not so great that as a private renter I was incentivised to find additional guests, and the discount to my guests simply was not a factor in them choosing Les Arcs. For you and other leaseback owners a bonus of cheaper passes might have been nice, but I’m sure that it wasn’t a factor in you deciding to buy in 1950 and I’m sure it won’t be a factor in decisions on whether to renew leaseback contracts. If anything, its main factor is negative as you are understandably frustrated at its removal. I don’t think the previous scheme influenced behaviour, and for the new scheme to encourage me to bring more guests to the resort they will have to be more generous in their loyalty scheme, for me and my renters.

Agreed 100%. Which is why I think they are struggling to replace it - how DO they encourage more warm beds (other than by building great big hotels, then getting the same % usage, but naturally, more actual bodies)?

I'm not excusing their inability to solve the problem, and certainly despair of the typically ham-fisted way that they've not implemented it in time for the season, which seems to have done more damage than good. But I can understand it's not easy. On the other hand, it's their job. Get a grip lads & lasses, and sort. it. out.

wills_h: still looking good on the 1950 webcams!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey. Snorkels at the ready!

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tordi wrote:
Goretex on opening day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Roll wrote:
Agreed 100%. Which is why I think they are struggling to replace it - how DO they encourage more warm beds (other than by building great big hotels, then getting the same % usage, but naturally, more actual bodies)?

I'm not excusing their inability to solve the problem, and certainly despair of the typically ham-fisted way that they've not implemented it in time for the season, which seems to have done more damage than good. But I can understand it's not easy. On the other hand, it's their job. Get a grip lads & lasses, and sort. it. out.
There's always going to be supply and demand issues in the winter season, with January in particular being difficult to fill beds. So why not make some attempt at dynamic pricing? If I wanted to rent my place in January it would make it an easier job if could offer a proper discount, 15-20% say, rather than the embarrassing 1.5% or whatever it was under the old scheme. No need for such discounts during Christmas/New Year, Feb-1st two weeks of March, or Easter.

The lift company has an extremely accurate idea of how many people are in the resort, on a day by day basis throughout the season. So why not identify the four weeks with the lowest occupancy level and focus all the promotional activity then, rather than spread the jam too thinly across all winter, including the weeks when the place is busy? I'd guess it's going to be all of January, or the first three weeks of January and the final week of March.

What about deeper 'early-bird' discounts? Buy your lift passes by the end of September and get a deeper discount on those four low season weeks? I'm sure they'd lose some revenue from people who are already committed to taking a holiday in that period, but they might gain from attracting people who aren't committed to those dates or to Les Arcs. That kind of scheme would do is to make it easier for property owners, private renters and the big accommodation operators, to enliven their own marketing with some genuine off-peak pricing. So a 'force multiplier' in terms of promotional activity during those four quietest weeks in terms of selling the resorts empty beds.

One thing that would assist private renters is to have an easy, and cheap, way of advertising your apartment on the resort's official website, dealing equally smoothly in English and Dutch as it is in French (the resort's website is a particular bugbear of mine). I used to get many of my bookings via Owners Direct when it was a simple advertising platform. But when they changed their business practice to ramp up their fees from renter and rentee, my enquiries dramatically reduced in number and the cost of using the service dramatically increased. So like many private renters I stopped using the money-grabbing b'stards. If the resort could provide a better platform for people interested in skiing in Les Arcs to browse the range of accommodation available, and to contact directly private owners if that's what they wanted, surely everyone wins? I'd be happy to pay a modest fee to use this kind of service, recognising that there would be a cost to maintaining it. But I'd expect it to be cheaper than advertising with whatever Owners Direct is now called as it should be a proper partnership between resort and accommodation owner with both sides benefitting from filling cold beds.

If the resort was interested in how private renters could play their part in filling cold beds, maybe they could ask us what would make it easier for us to sell those weeks?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Tordi wrote:
Goretex on opening day.

We're arriving (I hope) on Saturday 14th... Little worried about that much snow when it comes to our transfer, but quite happy to put up with whatever it takes to get there I think!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BigSouthernJesse wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Tordi wrote:
Goretex on opening day.

We're arriving (I hope) on Saturday 14th... Little worried about that much snow when it comes to our transfer, but quite happy to put up with whatever it takes to get there I think!
The resort snow clearance will be in full swing keeping the main access road as clear as they can. It's not forecast to be especially cold, so your transfer vehicle won't be driving for mile upon mile of snow-covered road. It will also be a relatively quiet transfer day, so less traffic means less risk of other vehicles causing a blockage. If it was colder and that amount of snow was forecast on the Saturday of New Year week it would be a recipe for chaos, but hopefully things will run fairly smoothly on the 14th.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BigSouthernJesse, The forecast for Friday and Saturday is for sunny spells and rain showers in Bourg st Maurice. Perhaps turing to snow around 1600m. I think you'll be fine.

The livecams look good at the moment. Is it the same family still sledging my the Vagere lift?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, yeah looks as though access to the mountain should be fine. Sunday will be a steep but soft learning curve as the first day on the slopes for nearly 2 years. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BigSouthernJesse, where are you staying?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're in Plan Peisey, not far from the bottom of the Peisey lift.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BigSouthernJesse, may I suggest you get the Peisey lift up followed by the 2300 chair and get your ski legs back on that massive expanse of gentle slopes.

We are aiming to get to Arc 1600 about 8 pm on Friday 20th to start skiing on the 21st
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, Thanks, yep, we stayed in Peisey a few years ago, and quite liked the laps up there for warm ups and getting back into it. Plus there was a good place for my wife to grab a hot chocolate at the point she felt like letting me get a few extra laps in on my own.
The challenge on a snowboard will be getting into good habits when powder allows you to get away with a little laziness. Sure the pistes will keep us honest later in the week.

Looks like it should be a good Chrimbo week for you too.
snow conditions
@BigSouthernJesse, It's looking good so far. I think we will have an investigation to see if Violettes is still skiable Smile

However as the eternal pessimist I can reacall one year there was lovely powder at the start of the Christmas holiday then a strong wind came and we took the day off to do some shopping. When we returned the wind had stripped all the powder leaving a thin coating of icy snow and a lot of rocks.

It is why I actually don't mind a bit of rain early in the season. It packs the snow down
ski holidays
Well - not out there until 28th Jan, but looking at the web cams and forecast I'm cautiously optimistic Cool

Certainly looking better than previous years at 3-weeks out
snow report
I'm heading out there on the 23rd Feb and those live cams are just beautiful.
I know there is loads of time for it to all go Pete Tong, but at least for the moment the snow looks awesome.
snow report
@TheGingerPrince, Half term will be busy
snow conditions
Hi Chaps, quick question, anyone flown with Jet2 before? This is my first time flying with them, usually with EasyJet. Jet2 keep emailing to pay to guarantee cabin bag, normally never a problem with EasyJet. We normally have our helmets clipped onto a small rucksack, anyone had an issue with Jet2 with this? Don't fancy helmets being smashed around in the hold.
snow conditions
In case the shuttle times don’t work for me to get from Vallandry up to 2000, can anyone recommend a local taxi company please
snow report
@dogsheds, I've flown Jet2 before and TBH they were very much like flying easyjet. Without looking at the logos I couldn't tell you which is which. Easyjet will put big bags into the hold sometimes so you don't have to cart them about and they don't charge extra for this, but you cannot elect to have them in the hold in advance. I cannot imagine Jet2 being any different.
snow conditions
I've flown with Jet2 a few times - they are the friendliest and most flexible of the budget airlines and allow a couple of extra kg's for their checked luggage- have never had hand luggage measured or weighed with them.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@TheGingerPrince, Half term will be busy

Yeah, but hopefully most of the schools follow our local ones and are the week prior (Sat 15th - Sat 22nd).
Having been in Meribel for half term in previous years I'm hopeful that nothing can be *that* bad.
snow report
Artois wrote:
In case the shuttle times don’t work for me to get from Vallandry up to 2000, can anyone recommend a local taxi company please
That's a lengthy journey, probably more than an hour. Is there any reason you need to do that trip by road?

I've used Taxi Aarthur on a few occasions and they have always been reliable.
snow report
@TheGingerPrince, I see the week you are planning to go is zone A and B together. While not the worse it could be pretty bad.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@BigSouthernJesse, It's looking good so far. I think we will have an investigation to see if Violettes is still skiable Smile

I see on the webcam that it's still signposted.
snow report
@Alastair, I want to do it before the forest reclaims it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Artois, page 5 of this thread ( https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148502&start=175 ) lists a variety of options - like Rob we think Aarthur is a good place to start
ski holidays
@JohnE @Artois - Thanks, should be fine with them by the sounds of it Smile
ski holidays
Tordi wrote:

Crikey...I'm arriving on Friday to ski on opening day. Looking forward to testing the new funicular.
Any advice for where best to ski in a white out?
snow conditions
Artois wrote:

Why not just ski? it's 2 lifts away all easy blues from what I remember
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
Crikey...I'm arriving on Friday to ski on opening day. Looking forward to testing the new funicular.
Any advice for where best to ski in a white out?
I'd guess that some of the lifts will be subject to a delayed opening on Saturday morning, as Thursday night/Friday day/Friday night look set to deliver lots of snow accompanied by high winds. There'll be a lot of work to do to open some of the lifts, especially higher ones. When this happens lapping around the lower lifts from Arc 1600, 1800 and Vallandry is a good (and sometimes only) option. So Mont Blanc, Cachette, Vagere, Derby and Vallandry chairlifts give plenty of options through the trees.
snow report
Time to think about the opening weekend of the season and catching up with anyone that is around.

After a sunny weekend, the snow is falling again. Very nice!! Anyone around on Saturday or Sunday for a ski and fancy meeting up for a drink at the start of the season. If the lifts connecting to Arc 2000 are open how about at the Bulle Cafe (Mushroom) at 12 noon on either Saturday or Sunday. If the connections are closed and we cannot get across to Arc 2000 side without a bus, how about we plan to meet at either the Altiport near the Snowpark or at the new Folie Douce just above Arc 1800 where the Lodge was. What do others think would be the best plan?

http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/arcabulle Looking good today! Very Happy
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
Artois wrote:

Why not just ski? it's 2 lifts away all easy blues from what I remember

I’m moving up to Club Med for my second week and I don’t pack light - it would take a few trips if I skied my luggage over Very Happy Very Happy

@johnE thanks for the pointer to the cab companies
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Artois wrote:
That's a lengthy journey, probably more than an hour. Is there any reason you need to do that trip by road?

Blimey Rob - didn’t realise it was that far by road!
Is that length of time by bus or taxi?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Artois wrote:

snow report
Artois wrote:
That's the time for a taxi, probably much longer by bus as you'd need at least a change or two. There's no direct road route, you have to drive down to the valley floor, along a bit, then climb back up the valley. By public transport one option might be to take a taxi (or bus) from Vallandry to the Funicular in Bourg St Maurice, then up the Funicular to Arc 1600, and from there the free resort shuttle to Arc 1800. Might be slightly quicker than a taxi journey, and certainly cheaper.
snow report
Thanks Rob really helpful - I could prob use the tour operators transfer bus back down to Bourg and hop off there - sounds like the easiest option - I’d booked the first week inc flights home before I booked the second week so have a place on the transfer - and a flight I’m not taking!!
ski holidays
Artois wrote:
Thanks Rob really helpful - I could prob use the tour operators transfer bus back down to Bourg and hop off there - sounds like the easiest option - I’d booked the first week inc flights home before I booked the second week so have a place on the transfer - and a flight I’m not taking!!
I think that would be a plan, although you might have to sweet talk the transfer driver to drop you off at the funicular as it probably wouldn't be on their normal route. If not there, getting dropped off at the train station and then a 5-10 minute walk to the funicular means the rest of the journey to Arc 2000 is relatively straightforward.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy