Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Arctic Roll wrote:
@CH1975, If you're staying at the new Base Camp Lodge, they do an addtional discount at Precision Ski, opposite the station, on top of the standard "50% off" BS that all of them seem to do online:

https://www.precisionski-rent.com/

Thanks but we are staying at the Huttopia site in one of the wooden huts. They are better than they sound Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Experts of les Arcs. I need to get from my chalet in Vallandry to Club Med Arcs 2000 on 22nd December cos greedy ole me is staying out for 2 weeks - what's the best way to do this - are there shuttle buses that will link up
thanks in anticipation of saving me a horribly expensive taxi fare Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Artois, Last year there was a navette from Vallandry to 1800. It was a bit infrequent but will get you there
https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/winter/shuttle/resort/les-arcs.html
From the bus station in 1800 the Navette will take you to 1600. From there another Navettw will take you to 2000. dropping you off near the club med
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thats great - thanks johnE
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Artois, I had a friend stayed 5 days in Vallandry, then with a sports holdall on his back, skied over to join us in 1950... Admittedly he didn't have 2 weeks clothing but, you know, with a bit of clever pruning...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The amount I travel with, I’d have to take a chainsaw to my packing- pruning just wouldn’t cut it
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi! I'm new to the forum, first post here.

Two friends and I will be staying at Residence Tournavelles frpm January 11th to 18th. After reading some horror stories about ski rental on this and other forums, I'm now a bit worried to be scammed. Can someone recommend a good shop near where we will stay where the likelyhood of foul play is lower? From reading here I've understood that it's less likely to be treated bad if you negotiate directly with the shop than if you order online, is that correct?

If been 4 times to the Alps so far, and what I have experienced so far (and come to expect) is:
* If there's something wrong with the equipment you get to exchange it, no hassle and free of charge.
* They do not charge you for scratches etc that can occur after a week's hard skiing.
* They are friendly and helpful, and don't accuse you of anything if something is wrong (a friend returned with a broken snowboard binding, he got an apology and a new snowboard)
* In short: great customer service!

So far I am 4 for 4 on the above, but reading here and in other forums recently has got me worried. Which shops do you recommend if I wish to keep my streak? Happy

Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Taking_the_piste, where is Residence Tournavelles?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, Arc 1800. I believe the area is called Les Villards? Could've sworn I specified 1800, but I managed to miss that part.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Taking_the_piste, welcome snowHead to snowHeads. The Tournavelle buildings are well positioned in Villards and there are plenty of ski shops around but I'm not in a position to recommend any particular shop. However, from further up this thread @ipken whose judgement I would trust as a regular in the area says:

ipken wrote:
we, and all of our friends who stay with us, use the skiset at Tournavelles, opposite the Intersport, at the Villards end of the resort. The guys in the shop are always very helpful and keen to sort things out for you. The manager Gaetan is a very good all mountain skier, and I mean all mountain, and brings his knowledge to boot and ski selection for our very mixed bag of skiers and boarders
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Alastair!

I get a bit worried when I read "skiset", but then again I've read that it's the online booking you should avoid, not the shops.

Can anyone confirm if you can get, if not as low, then almost as low prices when renting directly though the shop compared to online? I'm prepared to pay a premium for not getting screwed, but it has to be within reason wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Various friends have used the ski set on line booking service for years and never once had an issue. Perfect service with the assortment of actual shops they have hired from being perfectly happy to change equipment and be helpful all through the rental period. Maybe they have just always been lucky.
Also looks like it can't make up it's mind whether to snow or rain in 1800 today?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wills_h wrote:
Also looks like it can't make up it's mind whether to snow or rain in 1800 today?
Freezing line will drop soon. It was snowing when I checked the 1800 LiveCam about an hour ago, but now looks more like rain. The forecast looks decent for the next three days, allowing Les Arcs and the rest of the northern French Alps to watch up with some of the bountifulness seen elsewhere. Hopefully the drier, high pressure period which follows will be nice and cold, allowing the resort to continue preparations for opening Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed. It already looks great at altitude but a little bare and patchy lower down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never get excited about snow in November. A bit of early season rain ontop of the snow is not a bad thing either. It makes the snowbase much more solid when it subsequently freezes.

Having said that the snowpark livecam looks suitably dramatic today
snow report
johnE wrote:
I never get excited about snow in November.
It can make an awesome start to the season, or it can mean nothing at all. I was in Les Arcs in early November 2016 and there was a cold, snowy week and it was literally thigh deep at 1800m:

But after that it stayed dry and got warm, so by the time of Christmas snow cover was pretty thin everywhere, with scratchy pistes and no off-piste. All very disappointing after the excitement of November. But in other years when early snow has been followed by consistently low temperatures it helps get a solid base down, allowing the resort to prep the pistes to take advantage of whatever winter snow falls in December and January. If it stays cold next week and the week after this week's snowfall will be important.
ski holidays
@johnE, Oh my head agrees with what you are saying however I get excited about any snow at all. I was in Scotland last week and there was snow on the distant peaks one morning whilst I was out driving and I got my other half to take a photo of it, because I was excited about it Laughing
snow report
@johnE, I too am super excited by all snow. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop Smile My mates all make fun of me about it...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Freezing line will drop soon. It was snowing when I checked the 1800 LiveCam about an hour ago, but now looks more like rain. The forecast looks decent for the next three days, allowing Les Arcs and the rest of the northern French Alps to watch up with some of the bountifulness seen elsewhere. Hopefully the drier, high pressure period which follows will be nice and cold, allowing the resort to continue preparations for opening Happy

It's been alternating between rain and snow at 1800 for much of the day but the temperature is dropping as you say - I saw 11 degrees Centigrade yesterday, now down to 3 on the balcony. Fingers crossed!
snow report
Yes, it's only November and it could all melt still, but looking at the web cam its belting down with snow at least as far as 1600, HURRAH! Very Happy
snow report
Looks like 80 cm predicted between now and Sunday in 1950... whoop de doo!

4 weeks til we go, can't wait.
snow conditions
The livecams are looking good. I see that the piste basher is still parked in the middle of Arc1950. @Alastair, could you nip over and see if the keys are still in it. If so could you park it out of the way. It spoils the webcam view. Very Happy
ski holidays
Anyone in Bourg on 2 December might wish to know that a major security exercise is being conducted, centred around the train station with the scenario of a bomb being detained in the main station hall. Lots of different first response services will be involved.
latest report
*** REMINDER TO ALL ***

If you're planning on a season pass for Paradiski / Les Arcs / La Plagne - or planning on more than a couple of weeks here - then buy your pass before the end of November as the 20% discount expires at the end of the month. The current adult price of €856 for a whole season in Paradiski is currently below the price of a 17 day pass, so get in there while you can!
ski holidays
@Alastair, just bought mine, about 10 minutes ago. One thing to add, if you want to spread the cost over three monthly payments you can do that without any interest payments, via whatever card you use to book online.

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/early_booking
snow report
@johnE, I'll check it out.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, don't say it too loudly but it's a bit of a bargain, really. It's a good deal for anyone expecting to spend more than a couple of weeks here (not just the seasonaires) and includes lift access in the summer, which I made use of this year. A loyalty discount that's actually worth something.
snow report
@Alastair, A bit more of a bargin for us em! senior citizens. 685 euro for a paradiski pass for what is shaping up to be 6 weeks skiing is quite a deal (36%discount). It is only 300 more than my son is paying for 12 days of Christmas/New Year.

We'll ski the same pistes at the same pace and use exactly the same lifts so I really cannot see the justification for a discounted rate for over 65s. We don't even vote in France so it is not like British politicians trying to bribe the pensioner vote.

Which reminds me the tax d'habitation has just come through Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, you don't look old enough Toofy Grin .
latest report
@Alastair, No one is too young for Tax d'habitation
snow report
Photo taken this morning at Arc 1800.

Happy
snow conditions
@rob@rar, It looks good. With luck that damp snow will pack down and freeze to form an excellent base for the whole season.
ski holidays
Looks nice anyway... 15 days to go until arrival on the mountain! Very Happy
snow report
There was a good article on Les Arcs in today's Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/nov/30/skiing-les-arcs-an-architectural-ski-tour-50-years-anniversary-modernist

Clearly the author likes "chocolate box" but acknowledges that there is more to architecture than cute.

It too me sometime to notice the article since the Guardian has used that very same headline picture before.
snow report
@johnE, yes I didn't realise it was a new article at first. They seem fixated on that building, but to be fair it is one of the more unusual ones. If you click up to 'Skiing Holidays' it's a different building used to illustrate the article wink .

Snowing again today Very Happy .
ski holidays
@Alastair, https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/oct/07/charlotte-perriand-le-corbusier-design and https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/nov/30/skiing-les-arcs-an-architectural-ski-tour-50-years-anniversary-modernist use exactly the same photo with the same person coming down the steps.

Unlike the authors of the articles I have actually stayed in an apartment in that building (Cascades) and it was the worst apartment I have ever stayed in. I've listed the problems before.

The building used in the 'Skiing Holidays' section looks slightly less striking but is much nicer to stay in.

The article was clearly written last year and just published.

For those really interested in the history of Les Arcs have a look at this blog http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/. I enjoy reading it a lot and find it a pity that it has been discontinued.

In the begining there was Courbaton, the old construction workers dwellings for the Malgovert power station and the tunnelling operation bringing the water from the Lac de Chevril to the high pressure pipes in the village. http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tignes-semper-vivens-part-1-old-village.html has some pictures of Tignes before the lake flooded it.

Finally last year my neighbour, Patrick, showed me his collection of family photographs taken by his grandfather of Les Arcs and La Plagne in the 1950s and 60s. His granfather was a professional photographer and the photographs were beautiful. There was some skiing in the area at that time. One picture showed a wooden framed drag lift. I tried to persuade him to publish them as a book but the family objected. In fact I promised I would not show any of them to anyone else. Sorry, they were truely beautiful.
ski holidays
The Bulle Café earlier today:

snow report
Love it Rob!
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Love it Rob!
It is encouraging for the beginning of December Very Happy

Not my photo I hasten to add. From Bulle Café’s Facebook page.
latest report
Awesome views on the webcams today
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy