Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Debbie0312 wrote:
Decided this year to try self-catering whilst skiing for the first time (have skied many resorts and done self catering in beach resorts just never the two together).
Les Arcs looks ideal for apartments.
Having done some research it would seem Arc 1800 might suit us best, as seems to have a wider range of food shops and restaurants, but if I’m wrong or you have other suggestions please let me know.
Finally would love to hear which apartment blocks others would recommend, we are of a certain age so need a proper double bed (not a sofa bed, never yet found one that is really comfortable), probably a bath to soak the muscles after a day’s skiing and wifi as we run our own business and need to keep in touch.
We’re currently looking at 18th Jan.
Will probably drive so can bring some provisions with us, and have noted others comments about parking, so makes sense to have an apartment with parking.

Recommend Bourg - lots of great apartments and restaurants and about 10 mins from Arcs - plus you can easily drive to Val or Tignes for a day. Prices are lower as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Arctic Roll,
Quote:

The sign at the start of violettes is still there, complete with icons for the funicular and the town. The bridge is still there and in good condition. As are the red wooden piste markers. If may make a good off piste run next winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's looking quite wintery today
https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html

I may be mistaken but on the Mont Blanc webcam there appears to be piste basher activity. Why?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, yes, it's crisp and fresh out, with the temperature staying low. No idea about the Mont Blanc activity - haven't seen any piste bashers around 1800.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any advice on where to rent in Arc 1600 please or where to go for an offer?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Redial, you could do worse than looking at the resort's website here: https://www.lesarcs-reservation.com/fr/appartements/index.html

They seem to have some pretty good prices, but be aware that some 1600/1800/2000 properties may be on the small side, so filling them full may not always be the best idea.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alastair - Thanks. Critical omission of the word skis from the sentence from me Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Redial, Ha! Can't help you as I'm not in 1600. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Any advice on where to rent in Arc 1600 please or where to go for an offer?

@Redial, I assume you have already visited the tourist office website https://www.lesarcs-reservation.com/en/index.htm which has most of the availability in 1600. They also state exactly how big they are (none of this silly "sleeps 6" the UK operators limit their details to). The individual immobiliers have slightly easier to navigate websites. Try https://cis-immobilier.locvacances.com/en-GB for example.

Where do you want to insert the word "skis"? If you are after ski hire then we find the intersport next to the Sherpa helpful and good. Nieces use SkiSet in the square and have no problem. Christiana Sport, also in the square, have more technical equipment such as avalanche transceivers. A new discount place has opened close to Christiana Sport, but I cannot recall their name and they do not appear to be mentioned on the resort website.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another piste basher out. I wass looking at the 1950 webcam and there was one going through the middle of the village.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, I saw on the pisteures Facebook that they are starting to build the snow park already, maybe that? Although that’s a long old way to move the snow from!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, 1950 has a civic duty to keep snow levels in the street to a maximum depth, to allow both skiing and, probably more importantly, access for emergency services. I suspect it was our local basher just keeping things under control.
Still nice to see tho!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Another piste basher out. I wass looking at the 1950 webcam and there was one going through the middle of the village.

It looks like there's been basher activity over La Plagne side as well. Probably just the best way of moving workers around in the current conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is just rude behaviour....
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@yllen, I’m pretty sure any private transfer company would be happy for a pickup at that time, means they could drop off for evening flights home and not go back with an empty minibus.

Transfer booked. My usual company were happy to take it, and I even got a discount on the inbound transfer. Possibly due to what you describe above!
ski holidays
Arpette Restaurant looking snowy. Still a month until season opening, but let's hope it stays cold and snowy.

snow report
We arrive around midday on the 14th. Pictures like this, and a forecast that looks consistently cold make my heart happy!

Yeah, plenty of opportunity for it to dissipate, but it's a good start at least for the high ground.
ski holidays
I arrive in Lyon at 2030 on 26th December. I am currently struggling to work out the best way to get to Les Arcs 1800. The main problem seems to be that fact it is mid week. I'm currently planning to hire a car as it seems the most economical. However I've just gone to book a car parking space and they only accept Saturday- Saturday/Sunday-Sunday during school holidays in Les Arcs 1800. How likely are we to be able to get a parking space if we don't book bearing in mind we will probably get into resort around midnight? Any advice greatly appreciated! First time to Les Arcs and we can't wait!
snow conditions
@pba384, welcome to snowHeads.

Were you trying to book a covered parking space or outdoors? The resort does start to get much busier on the 26th and the 27th, but I'd be very surprised if it was impossible to find an outdoor parking space, although not sure about the underground parking spaces as these do get full in busy times. For an outdoor car park you'd not need to pre-book, just arrive in resort, collect a ticket at the barrier on the way in, then pay at one of the pay stations at the end of your holiday.
ski holidays
@rob@rar thank you so much that makes a lot of sense and puts my mind at ease! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
pba384 wrote:
@rob@rar thank you so much that makes a lot of sense and puts my mind at ease! Madeye-Smiley
You're welcome. Have a great holiday!
snow conditions
We arrive in Arc 1950 on 21st December - driving this time so we can leave items in the apartment. I have been trying to book restaurants for the week for dinner, but seems to be impossible given that they don't open until 14/12! The only one I have heard back from is Nonna Lisa (kids favourite for Pizza). I'm trying to book Le Savoy for Christmas day as we can get there without taking the car.

Any advice??
snow report
@X5OT76, perhaps wait until they are open? Many alpine places use this time for personal holidays hence not around
snow report
@X5OT76, perhaps wait until they are open? Many alpine places use this time for personal holidays hence not around
snow conditions
random triplicates

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-11-19 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Just a bit concerned that everything will be booked up pretty much immediately if we wait until a week before we go!
snow report
X5OT76 wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Just a bit concerned that everything will be booked up pretty much immediately if we wait until a week before we go!

They begin to stock up soon and people on site. I would suspect early December. Keep an eye on the 1950 webcam you begin to see action around shops & restaurants.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

I emailed Le Savoy a few weeks ago -restaurant.lesavoy@orange.fr - they have confirmed our booking for Christmas Day - they didn't reply straight away, but they are picking up emails.
snow report
Quote:

I'm trying to book Le Savoy for Christmas day as we can get there without taking the car.

I cannot see you have any problem at all. Nomally Christmas day is pretty dead. Everyone goes out for dinner Christmas eve.
snow conditions
Molly140 wrote:
Hi,

I emailed Le Savoy a few weeks ago -restaurant.lesavoy@orange.fr - they have confirmed our booking for Christmas Day - they didn't reply straight away, but they are picking up emails.

Thank you, that’s great to know! I have emailed them also.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
X5OT76 wrote:
kitenski wrote:

They begin to stock up soon and people on site. I would suspect early December. Keep an eye on the 1950 webcam you begin to see action around shops & restaurants.

Perfect, thank you! It will be our first Christmas there, very excited!
ski holidays
Does anyone know if booking a parking slot in advance for 1950 is cheaper than paying on arrival/departure?
snow report
@Chamcham, yes - it isn't any cheaper I'm afraid. Effia sub-contract to run the car-park on behalf of the village, so although you access it through their website for pre-booking, it is the same price.

TBF, there's enough spaces down there, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're thinking of going in/out through the week, may be best to go visit the attendants office (by the exit) and get a weekly pass rather than paying each time you have to exit.

@X5OT76, we're booking when we arrive - as above, Christmas day, lunch or eve is usually pretty straightforward. We'll be heading down to Chalet pre St Esprit for a late lunch, as we have done for the past 3 years - food and genepi until last lift, then a possibly slightly unsteady meander, back to Georges for, ahem, evensong...

Christmas Eve in the square will be its usual magical self - in that idosyncratic French way: https://www.arc1950.com/soiree-de-noel-arc-1950.html Just don't forget to wrap up warm!
latest report
Going to stay in BSM this year for a change. Can anybody recommend somewhere to hire skis and boots down there?
ski holidays
Polaire Star next to the funi, you are able to store them there as well - very convenient!
ski holidays
Snowidea wrote:
Polaire Star next to the funi, you are able to store them there as well - very convenient!

Thanks
snow report
I always use Intersport - good equipment choices and prices, for example I booked recently and have hired their gold all mountain skis for less than 10 euros a day (quoted as 50% off but I doubt anyone pays the full amount). There are 2 outlets in Bourg - one next to Super U supermarket and the other on the main road between the station and Lidl. I use the one next to Super U as it has longer opening hours.
ski holidays
@CH1975, If you're staying at the new Base Camp Lodge, they do an addtional discount at Precision Ski, opposite the station, on top of the standard "50% off" BS that all of them seem to do online:

https://www.precisionski-rent.com/
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Thanks for that - that's what I thought
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy