Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
chenav wrote:
It's the one marked 7 red here: https://q-xx.bstatic.com/xdata/images/hotel/max1024x768/179248054.jpg?k=cef0d4bad388b070770c15babfb52d081f912a6675543da09e3a6976cce84fe4&o=

Do you know where its pool is located?

And I thought there is a supermarket near the Eden Arc complex?

Yes, building 7 is the topmost building, normally called Chantel 1 as it was the first constructed (my place is located in No.33). The pool is the small bit of the building which juts out to the side (just above the 'P' sign).

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think there is a supermarket in the EdenArc complex. I only skied past it last season rather than walking through it, so possibly something has been added recently but from what I recall there isn't a grocery shop there. It doesn't;t make much difference as the Dahu lift (which runs until 10pm) provides easy access to the centre of 1800, so a range of shops including a couple of mini-supermarkets.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the info! Having the pool within the building sounds good.

Regarding a supermarket, there is one marked in the map here:
https://en.lesarcs.com/download-maps/plan-arc-1800.html
But I'm afraid it'll be a bit of climb up there from the Chantel 1?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chenav wrote:
But I'm afraid it'll be a bit of climb up there from the Chantel 1?
I'll have to investigate further to see what grocery options are located in EdenArc, normally I just ski past it to get home.

As for the climb up from Chantel 1, I guess that depends on what you'd consider too much. For the quickest/shortest route from the main door of Chantel 1, you have a few steps up a footpath to get to the snow, and then less than 50m up a path/piste which takes you to EdenArc and the top lift station for the Dahu. If you want to be any closer you'd have to stay in EdenArc itself, but IMO it's a pretty short walk.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowcrazy, thanks for the piste map link.

I see:
Muguet is downgraded from Black to Red
Malgovert is upgraded from Red to Black
Clair Blanc remains Red Shocked
Violettes has been deleted.

Any other changes spotted other than some greens?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well spotted @Alastair,
The change to Muguet is totally expected now that there is a red down from it to Pre st Espirit and it was on the easy side for a red
Malgovert could be anything. There really isn’t a piste to compare it to.
Shame about Violettes I really enjoyed it the only time I have done it. However in 15 years of being in Arc 1600 I have only known it open once.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking about Violettes I am out in Les Arcs next week so I will have a look to see if the bridge over the road in 1600 is still there.

Looking at the piste map carefully I see that Ecureuils is marked as finishing at the Parchey lift. Has it always done that. I've always turned at the intersection with the blue piste and skied down to the Peisey lift. I cannot recall a red down that section of the resort either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is/was a small supermarket in Eden Arc, I last used it the season before last (so not 100% it's still there). It was very small and not very well stocked.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wills_h, thanks for that. Where is it located? I know the restaurant and what I think is a ski hire place near the top of the Dahu lift, but not sure where the grocery shop could be?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's just above the restaurant in a little square, behind where the ski hire place is
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wills_h wrote:
It's just above the restaurant in a little square, behind where the ski hire place is
Thanks, will have to take a closer look this season, although if I'm in that location I might as well take the Dahu down to the centre of the village and use the Spa and the other food shops there. The pattiserie is always very tempting...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, yes, it has always ended at Parchey. Or at least it has since 2011 when I started to ski the area more regularly. Warning, that final section can often be a little bare. As can Ourson (boom boom) tucked below the bottom of the race piste.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Warning, that final section can often be a little bare

That could explain why I have never done it.
Do you mean:
Mary had a little lamb
She also had a bear
I've often seen her little lamb
but I've never seen her ???????

I just cannot thing of another word to make this little poem rhyme
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Guys, so i can see europcar have a Ford Focus for the week with snow chains for £185. Does that seem about right, anyone recommend any other rental companies?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dogsheds, renting from where?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find the normal opening and closing times of the various lifts in Les Arcs. I seem to remember it is 9am - 5pm in general, although some lifts only open later. I remember 2300 - above Peisey only opened at 9:30am last time I was there.

Also Cabriolette (between 1950 and 2000) stays open a bit later. Does that mean you can ski down from 2000 to 1950 later than the other runs?
latest report
@alastair sorry GVA French Side.
latest report
@dogsheds, sounds reasonable to me but allow for the cost of parking in Les Arcs.
snow report
@petermunnings, most of the lifts open between 0915 and 0930. I don't have closing times to hand. Where are you planning to be based? If you're in 2000 I wouldn't worry too much about the closing times as getting back to the 2000 bowl is what will matter. After that you can ski home Very Happy .
ski holidays
@petermunnings, the piste map has most of the important closing times printed on it - though slightly unhelpfully they seem to have stopped doing opening times. Both these and closing times vary during the season. 9:15 using to be normal for Peisey lift; Parchey, just above the navette tuning point / car park usually starts 15 mins before Peisey which is handy if you need to meet people / ski lessons in Vallandry or want to hit Grizzly before anyone else.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 29-10-19 13:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Alastair wrote:
@petermunnings, most of the lifts open between 0915 and 0930. I don't have closing times to hand.
Typically 4.45 or 5.00, then 15 minutes later in the spring weeks (March onwards, IIRC).

Skiing after hours by lapping around the pedestrian gondolas (Cabriolet and Dahu) is frowned upon (and pretty tedious!).
snow report
@rob@rar, but of course we need to allow for the new La Folie Douce at the top of Dahu. Villards is open for skiers until 19.00 anyway and will be feeding FD. I will be interested to see how the FD fits with their customers trying to make it back to the centre of the resort at 1900 Shocked
snow conditions
Thanks everyone. We'll be at 1950.
snow conditions
Alastair wrote:
I will be interested to see how the FD fits with their customers trying to make it back to the centre of the resort at 1900 Shocked
Click in to skis. Point in right direction. Gentle push.
latest report
@alastair luckily the apartment i am in has a car park space with included Smile
snow conditions
@rob@rar, fair enough. Very Happy Certainly my planned route Very Happy .
snow report
petermunnings wrote:
Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find the normal opening and closing times of the various lifts in Les Arcs. I seem to remember it is 9am - 5pm in general, although some lifts only open later. I remember 2300 - above Peisey only opened at 9:30am last time I was there.

Also Cabriolette (between 1950 and 2000) stays open a bit later. Does that mean you can ski down from 2000 to 1950 later than the other runs?

Worth bookmarking these 2 links, when season opens they are live reports on all lifts/runs and opening & closing times. In times of bad weather very handy to have.

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=les-arcs&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr 
ski holidays
@dogsheds, it sounds just about ok to me but it all depends on the demand for that particular week.
I've just rented a Peugeot 208 for a week (picked it up yesterday) and it cost under £100 for 7 days from gva. It all depends on the demand at the time.

They have a lot of road works from the French border to the motorway at the moment, but the diversions and sometime very abrupt turns caused no major problems. The French were also monitoring the crossings into France.
ski holidays
@Alastair, are you in les arcs at the moment? I'm in 1600 at the moment and could manage a stroll up to 1800.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, are you in les arcs at the moment? I'm in 1600 at the moment and could manage a stroll up to 1800.
ski holidays
@dogsheds, it sounds just about ok to me but it all depends on the demand for that particular week.
I've just rented a Peugeot 208 for a week (picked it up yesterday) and it cost under £100 for 7 days from gva. It all depends on the demand at the time.

They have a lot of road works from the French border to the motorway at the moment, but the diversions and sometime very abrupt turns caused no major problems. The French were also monitoring the crossings into France.
latest report
@petermunnings, ref the Cabriolet - yes it opens until 11pm (or indeed 11.30 if sufficient money for overtime get agreed each year...) but that doesn't imply the piste is open. It isn't.

In fact, given the volume, size and speed of the bashers using that route between 2000 and the rest of the domain, I'd be very wary of doing it - not just because it's against "the rules", but because of the potential consequences. OK, so some do walk down the piste (with a head-torch) and not get caught, when too late for the last lift - but it is not allowed, and not advised.
snow conditions
Skullie No-one wants a big red splodge on the piste.
ski holidays
Just had a wander around 1600. It looks like the ridge hotel is complete. Yet more people in the resort.
They are working on the base station of the cachette but I have no idea what they are doing.
The sign at the start of violettes is still there, complete with icons for the funicular and the town. The bridge is still there and in good condition. As are the red wooden piste markers. If may make a good off piste run next winter.
The arcabuse (under a new name) is open selling a 3 course fixed menu with coffee for 16 euros.
The sun is shining and the autumn colours look wonderful.
latest report
Just had a wander around 1600. It looks like the ridge hotel is complete. Yet more people in the resort.
They are working on the base station of the cachette but I have no idea what they are doing.
The sign at the start of violettes is still there, complete with icons for the funicular and the town. The bridge is still there and in good condition. As are the red wooden piste markers. If may make a good off piste run next winter.
The arcabuse (under a new name) is open selling a 3 course fixed menu with coffee for 16 euros.
The sun is shining and the autumn colours look wonderful.
snow report
@johnE, sounds great!
snow report
@johnE was that £100 with snow chains? Where did you rent from? I was just unsure if we could get 2 1.6 meter snowboard bags with one seat folded down as there are 3 of us.
snow conditions
@dogsheds, from europcar at Geneva airport (french side). We had actually booked a Fiat panda, but expected a bigger car when we got there. Not sure about snowboards but we did manage to get 4 of us from St quentin to les arcs with 3 sets of skis, boots, bedding and other less impotent stuff in a Fiat 500L

No snow chains , it is after all still October, but we did find a vignette on the windscreen
snow report
@dogsheds, from europcar at Geneva airport (french side). We had actually booked a Fiat panda, but expected a bigger car when we got there. Not sure about snowboards but we did manage to get 4 of us from St quentin to les arcs with 3 sets of skis, boots, bedding and other less impotent stuff in a Fiat 500L

No snow chains , it is after all still October, but we did find a vignette on the windscreen
snow conditions
dogsheds wrote:
@johnE was that £100 with snow chains? Where did you rent from? I was just unsure if we could get 2 1.6 meter snowboard bags with one seat folded down as there are 3 of us.
That £100 was the price for a rental this week, perhaps best described as Dead Season rather than Low Season. Prices during the ski season will be significantly higher. £180 for a week from the French side of GVA during one of the quieter weeks during the winter sounds about right IME. I'd expect to pay a bit more from the Swiss side of GVA. I normally do a price comparison with one of the big brokers (Holiday Autos, money supermarket or similar) and compare with booking Avis via BA (which offers a decent discount if I'm flying with BA), and select the cheapest option for a rental company which is based in the airport terminal rather than off-site.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

Indeed I am! Will PM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy