Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Could be a bit of a game changer for Bourg, prices seem very reasonable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Failing that there are quite a few places in Bourg on Air BnB which if you ask nicely probably will accommodate you for one night and arriving late.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
timlongs wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, I'm looking for a one night stand, sorry, stay in Bourg too - whereabouts is the hostel /it's website?

Here you go: https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/

Hotel & Hostel all rolled into one. The building is finished now and it does look very nice. I'll be there at the start of November (we are supplying them with beer from our brewery) so looking forward to seeing the inside of it.
Thanks for the link. Useful to have in town, but have to say I hate their website.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, I love the first sentence of the English website "Base Camp Lodge Hotel at Bourg-Saint-Maurice, THE NEW PLACE TO BE in the earth of the French Alps. ". Is it the cemetary?

I have somewhere to stay on the Sunday night. It just happens to be 800m higher up the mountain and 16 km away. How easy is it to get a taxi in bourg at 01:00 in the morning. I suppose some must great the train.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there someone you know locally who can book you a taxi in advance? If not I can reach out to a couple of friends in Bourg for you nearer the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
@dogsheds, I'm just costing out a trip to Les Arcs for the end of January. It is proving very interesting

I'm planning to go out on the 18th and return on the 31st. So first of all flights. Well BHX to Geneva is coming in at good prices, £19 each way. (I'm just going to leave all my gear in Les Arcs) but the timings are looking tricky on the way out.

I may have to pay an extra £23 to get an early flight on the Sunday - getting in to Geneva at 14:45 with the hope of getting the 16:42 to Bourg. Unfortunately that is still too late for the funicular so its a taxi up the mountain! (I think that is even too late for Bensbus which is coming in at £53 one way). Or since I may need a taxi anyway getting the 15:20 flight (£20 for the flight + £31.37 for the train) and trying for a taxi at 01:00 the next morning up the mountain looks the most ecconomic option. Clearly more research is needed on how to get from Bourg st Maurice to Arc 1600. And I am getting too old to sleep on station platforms in the middle of winter.

Getting back by comparison is a doddle: first funicular down to the station, 10:14 train at the princicly price of £23.62, 17:00 flight to BHX at £18.99. Crikey its more expensive to get the train to London.

Anyway anyone got any advice on how to get from Bourg st Maurice to Les Arcs at 01:00?

Looks great, I think Bensbus is ok for a transfer at the time you land on Saturday, they have two that day. However I decided against using bensbus, the reviews are shocking on trip advisor.

Which site are you using to look at train times and prices John?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dogsheds wrote:
Which site are you using to look at train times and prices John?
And what is the route? Is it straight from GVA to Bourg Station, or does it require one or more changes?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@timlongs, thanks.

If I am thinking of the right place, it has been commissioned by Restoleil, and the owners' son ( who I've met in Arc 1950), is running the show down there. So should be a good showcase, he's not going to want to let his dad down!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wills_h wrote:
Is there someone you know locally who can book you a taxi in advance? If not I can reach out to a couple of friends in Bourg for you nearer the time.

JohnE I've a stack of taxi cards from various trips, including those recommened by Bourg locals - happy to share if you've not collected a few of your own during your time in the domain!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dogsheds, https://www.thetrainline.com/ I have used them before for complicated trips across europe with a couple of changes. They are much better than sncf (raileurope.com) to use, but when I last tried they could'nt do trains within the UK. They just dumped you at London.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, believe it or not I have never used a taxi to Les Arcs before. So yes share the cards
@rob@rar, You have to change at Geneva and Chambery. For the change at Chambery you get off the train from Geneva, stand at the same platform and the Bourg train arrives.
As an example look at https://www.thetrainline.com/book/results?origin=c391d01b630edb6cff2972f8a5175af6&destination=d49d579176780a5e1580da5cbdef1b16&outwardDate=2020-01-19T14%3A00%3A00&outwardDateType=departAfter&journeySearchType=single&passengers%5B%5D=1959-10-18%7Cdf61750c-6fde-4a61-8d3a-3efb10532966&selectedOutward=O4JN7gLkPkU%3D%3AF8gDfoBv44c%3D%3AStandard
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
@dogsheds, https://www.thetrainline.com/ I have used them before for complicated trips across europe with a couple of changes. They are much better than sncf (raileurope.com) to use, but when I last tried they could'nt do trains within the UK. They just dumped you at London.

Thanks @JohnE I had a nose, think I am going to get a car, which means I can travel later and get ourselves on flights that are a fair bit cheaper. Car is coming out at £270 with full damage insurance, between three of us its cheaper than a shared transfer. Will have to stop at the first available supermarket though at that time I guess. I guess its quieter on change over day in late evening too, well I hope.

Do you need to have a vignette or pay a toll when going from GVA to Les Arc?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogsheds wrote:
Do you need to have a vignette or pay a toll when going from GVA to Les Arc?
If you hire your car from the Swiss side of GVA it will come with a vignette. The direct route to Les Arcs includes some road tolls (you can reduce the tolls by taking the route via Lake Annecy, typically at the expense of a slightly longer travel time).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dogsheds, You need a vignette to travel on the Swiss motorway and to pay tolls on the French motorway. Many people cut the corner from Annecy to Albertville which takes a bit longer and saves IIRC about 10 euros in tolls.

Look carefully at what you are being charged for carhire insurance. I have a seperate policy from insuranceforcarhire that is about £50 per year and saves me a lot of money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, much obliged. At least four hours to Bourg then getting up the hill is less than ideal, especially if you have a bus ride or two from the top of the funicular. Shame there's not a direct service which is a bit quicker.
ski holidays
@JohnE, thanks for that, that will come handy. I'll do that.

I noticed I can get a car for £150 for the week from the French side of GVA, or £230 from the Swiss side. I never new there were two sides to it before this thread lol.

So for French side is that a different flight or how does it work?
latest report
@rob@rar, But it's cheep and comfortable. Oddly flights to Lyon and Chambery are no easier. There is no shuttle bus from the airport to the train station in Chamberey and though there is a shuttle bus to the station at Lyon, flights to Lyon are a rarity.

It amazes that I can get from Les Arc to Birmingham airport for about £43. With an already bought season pass and my own apartment that no one wants to rent at the end of January I can have a 2 week ski holiday for about £100. That is if I can get up the mountain. Oh and the cost of parking at BHX for a fortnight.

Actually I have just remembered blahblahcar - must investigate
ski holidays
@johnE, So in order of [my personal] preference:

AArthur taxis: http://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/

Taxi Martin tel: +33 6 09 23 31 97 / +33 4 79 07 00 87

Taxi Ayet +33 6 75 49 60 17 / +33 6 08 24 00 41

Taxis CTS ( minibus so maybe not appropriate for your solo 1a.m. gig!) +33 6 13 61 63 10

HTH
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, excellent. I think I will be accompanied by my wife and another. So hopefully thew price from BHX to Bourg will not be less than that from Bourg to Les Arcs
latest report
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, But it's cheep and comfortable. Oddly flights to Lyon and Chambery are no easier. There is no shuttle bus from the airport to the train station in Chamberey and though there is a shuttle bus to the station at Lyon, flights to Lyon are a rarity.

It amazes that I can get from Les Arc to Birmingham airport for about £43. With an already bought season pass and my own apartment that no one wants to rent at the end of January I can have a 2 week ski holiday for about £100. That is if I can get up the mountain. Oh and the cost of parking at BHX for a fortnight.
Yes, the price is compelling. If I'm looking to go for a week rather than just a few days the best option for me (balancing cost and convenience) is the Eurostar service, and if they ran that two or three times a week I'd never fly to Les Arcs again.
ski holidays
dogsheds wrote:
I noticed I can get a car for £150 for the week from the French side of GVA, or £230 from the Swiss side. I never new there were two sides to it before this thread lol.

So for French side is that a different flight or how does it work?
Cars rented from the French side will not come with the Swiss motorway vignette so you'll need to take minor roads to and from the airport avoiding the autoroute; they will also not come equipped with winter tyres as standard so you'd need to factor in the "winterisation fee" when you book the car.

The French side of GVA is a different part of the same terminal building serving the same flights, but you cross through French border control rather than Swiss border control.
snow report
also last year they wouldn't let you walk thru from the French side to the Swiss side unless your flight was the same day, potentially a 50 euro taxi ride if they do that again this year!
snow report
@johnE, who is doing flights @ £19 each way ??
snow report
@dogsheds, I almost always rent from the French side of the airport mainly because it is often a lot less expensive. If I only have carry on bags then it also more convenient. However other snowheads have other views.
Quote:

The French side of GVA is a different part of the same terminal building serving the same flights, but you cross through French border control rather than Swiss border control.

Oddly, you cannot avoid going through the Swiss passport checks and their long queues.

@rob@rar, The problem with the Eurostar service is the added cost, time and hassle of getting to London.
snow conditions
@kitenski, Easyjet. Though that is not their least expensive flight I'm coming back from Geneva on Nov 5th and the price is £9.99.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
The problem with the Eurostar service is the added cost, time and hassle of getting to London.
Yes, I understand that. For me it's straightforward, either getting Jane to drop me at a Piccadilly Line station for a direct journey to St Pancras, or a short walk to my local train station for Waterloo and a cross-London underground hop. It's then a very civilised train ride to Bourg, short walk to the funicular and a marginally frustrating shuttle bus to 1800 and a separate shuttle to my place in Chantel. If Eurostar ran services on Sat, Tue and Thur is would be perfect, although I understand why they won't ever do that.
latest report
I found this on the GVA website.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

HOW DO I GET TO THE FRENCH SECTOR WHEN I ARRIVE ON AN INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT AND RENT A CAR IN THE FRENCH SECTOR?
Follow the same route as the other passengers, collect your luggage, and once you are in the Arrivals hall, after going through customs, go up one floor to the Check-in level.

Follow the “destination France” signs to reach the French sector (to the right of the terminal, near the Air France ticket counters).

Warning: Following security measures imposed by the Swiss and French authorities, Genève Aéroport informs you that ONLY passengers in possession of an air ticket valid for day D +/-1 are authorised to pass between the international sector and the France sector, and vice versa.

Therefore, car rental agencies’ clients that do not meet this condition must imperatively move from one sector to another by road (car, taxi, etc.), by passing through the Ferney-Voltaire customs. Pedestrians and cyclists are not allowed to use this road.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

@JohnE any recommendations of rental company?
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@timlongs, thanks.

If I am thinking of the right place, it has been commissioned by Restoleil, and the owners' son ( who I've met in Arc 1950), is running the show down there. So should be a good showcase, he's not going to want to let his dad down!

Yep, correct. I had a meeting with said owners son the other day, he's a good lad!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick update on my January trip.

I have now booked the esyjet flight getting into Geneva at 14:35 on the 19th for £43 each. This will allow plenty of time to get to the station and get to Bourg at 20:51. OK we miss the last funicular but there will be time to sort out a bus or taxi in January

Coming back we are on the 17:00 flight on the 31st from Geneva. This cost £19 each. and the train comes in cheaper as well (24 euro)

There are cheaper flights: £20 out and £16 back, but they at inconvenient times.

So it looks as if my plan to do a sub £100 ski holiday has failed miserably. Unless, that is, blahblahcar produces something for the transfer
latest report
I’m heading out to les Arcs on 15th Dec for a week but thinking of staying on for the Xmas week so will be looking for additional accommodation if conditions are good - does anyone have any more info on the new base camp in Bourg?
snow report
timlongs wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
@timlongs, thanks.

Yep, correct. I had a meeting with said owners son the other day, he's a good lad!

I’ve just had an email from Basecamp - very comprehensive - unlike the website - with loads of info on the place and super cheap if you are prepared to stay in a capsule! Looks very stylish from the visuals - a bit like sleeping in an Ikea
ski holidays
I just booked my flights with jet2, always use easyjet but manged to get flights for 3 and 2 snowboard bags for £249. Arrive in GVA at 17:55, and Depart GVA at 18:45. From East Midlands Airport which is closer to me. They currently have an offer on snow gear at £15 each was so 50% off. Happy days!
snow conditions
Can anyone recommend an English speaking ski instructor for private lessons for two little girls aged five and six in Arc 1800, the eldest has done two weeks of Club Piou Piou and the younger only one? We don't go until the first week in February but I'm thinking ahead and wanting the holiday to come sooner Very Happy
ski holidays
@bober02, I think we booked direct with the shop - email and/or facebook. Its my partner who organises it but we dont use their site and have never had any issues.
latest report
@dogsheds, For some reason I keep forgetting to look at Castle Donington airport. At one point it seemed to have lots of useful flights then almost none. Thank you for reminding me to add it to the list of candidate airports.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@dogsheds, For some reason I keep forgetting to look at Castle Donington airport. At one point it seemed to have lots of useful flights then almost none. Thank you for reminding me to add it to the list of candidate airports.

I only remembered as I was at Donington Park on Monday and the planes were flying over as we were on the circuit! The 50% of snow bags made a good difference to the cost. Need to buy the lift passes and rent a car and thats us all booked and ready to go!
snow report
Time for an UPDATE. Lift Passes and more!

There is a light dusting of snow high on the Aiguille Rouge today and some blue sky with passing high clouds.

For those that like to follow the live webcams. Here is the link I use. There are others.

http://app1.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs

Remember!! Anyone wanting a discounted lift pass for a few days or longer, but not a season pass. You must do this before the end of October so hurry. Use this link.

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/early_booking

For those that wish to buy a discounted Season Pass. You have until the end of November. Use this link.

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/fr/early_booking_saison

The Vanoise Express does not open until 22 December so if you buy the Essential (Paradiski area) Pass you must drive to La Plagne during the first week of the season.

For those that were wondering. Here is the link for the new 2019 - 2020 piste map. The 'new' green areas are not really new, they are just better marked than before!
https://en.lesarcs.com/piste-map.html

A copy of all the links I post on the Les Arcs Winter page and on this Snowheads thread can be found here. https://lesarcswinter.wordpress.com/about/ I try and update the links in both places when I find something that might be useful.

Hope this helps with your planning. Have a good winter holiday!
latest report
I'm looking at an apartment in the Alpage du Chantel for middle of January, at the very north corner of the residence (i.e. furthest from the slopes).
Can someone who knows the place confirm whether the indoor pool is within the building, and if not, where? Also how big of a schlep is it to the supermarket above, and to the Dahu pedestrian lift?
Where is the ski-in/ski-out access in this place and is it possible to ski down to Carreley to access the higher bowl instead of taking the Transarc?

Thanks!
latest report
@chenav, which building in Chantel (there are 5)? I have an apartment in the St Bernard building.

Three of the buildings have pools, those buildings which don't share access.

The walk to the Dahu is short, but potentially steep, depending on which building you are in. But it's not prohibitive a walk from any location in Chantel. Not sure which supermarket you are referring to?

All of the buildings have direct ski in/out access, but only the topmost building offers direct ski access to the Carrelly lift, walking up just above the building and a short scoot across the lift. From my place I ski down to the Vagere chair or the TransArc gondola. It's about one minute's ski, and gives me options to get to all of the Les Arcs domain in just one lift, except for Villaroger.
snow report
It's the one marked 7 red here: https://q-xx.bstatic.com/xdata/images/hotel/max1024x768/179248054.jpg?k=cef0d4bad388b070770c15babfb52d081f912a6675543da09e3a6976cce84fe4&o=

Do you know where its pool is located?

And I thought there is a supermarket near the Eden Arc complex?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy