Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Super helpful everyone! Thank you. If anyone is out there I'll buy you a beer! I have shortlisted these apartments, they seem to be in various areas of Arc 2000 and 1800, it all looks a little disjointed. Can anyone recommend on of the locations over another?

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p590142a
https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1840608a
https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1736646a

https://www.mediahols.com/holiday-rentals/178
https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p947443a
https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p6661751

Just need to pick some where to stay from the above and then will book it, and flight, oh and Classic lift pass for now. I'll sort out a transfer in due course. But MVTransport seem to offer a shared minibus transport for £315 return for 3 adults.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-10-19 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dogsheds, the apartments in 1800 are centrally located, and pretty much ski in/out as well as being just a short walk to the apres-ski and shops. I don't know 2000 as well, but a large proportion of the apartments there are also ski in/out and a short walk to facilities. I don't think any of those apartments offers significant advantages over the others in terms of location, they're all pretty good if you want a small, conveniently located apartment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, During the winter we get the funicular down to Bourg rather than use the car. Apart from the hassle of digging it out finding a parking space on your return can be a problem, especially during a busy week. I think there is a bus between the bottom of the funicular and the Super U area - but I have yet to work out the timetable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
I think there is a bus between the bottom of the funicular and the Super U area - but I have yet to work out the timetable.
Ah, didn't know that. From my place in 1800 it's much more convenient to drive down as getting to the SuperU would take 2 or 3 short bus rides in addition to the funicular, while carrying groceries. Fortunately we don't have the hassle of finding parking as we have our own space in the garage beneath our apartment building, so it's just a question of remembering to take the remote control for the garage door Happy If the road down to Bourg is clear it's just over 20 minutes from leaving our place to parking in the SuperU, so not much longer than the drive to our nearest supermarket at home in the UK.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
so not much longer than the drive to our nearest supermarket at home in the UK.

Just a lot more scenic I should imagine Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar,
Quote:

so it's just a question of remembering to take the remote control for the garage door

It's a hard life. You don't even have the problem of remembering under which pile of snow resides your car. Now they have expanded it the SuperU in Bourg is much better than our local Tesco Extra (but I still bring my own curry spices, sprouts and parsnips with me)

Anyway onto important things - when are you in Les Arcs this winter so we can meet u[?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wills_h wrote:
Just a lot more scenic I should imagine Very Happy
Laughing

For a lot of reasons the SuperU in Bourg is my favourite supermarket anywhere Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Anyway onto important things - when are you in Les Arcs this winter so we can meet?
Yes, family health allowing, for at least five weeks starting with opening week and Christmas week. Let me know when you're out so we can get together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, We will be out for about 6 weeks Christmas/New Year weeks, last 2 weeks of January and the last two weeks of March. We hope to get Les Arcs on Friday 20th, but that depends on what days my son can get off from his studies. Shall we meet up Christmas week?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Shall we meet up Christmas week?
Sounds good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, @johnE, we too arrive Friday 20th for 8 days, then again at end of March (I think...): love to join you both again. After all, John E - we've only drunk together rather than skied!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, @johnE, we too arrive Friday 20th for 8 days, then again at end of March (I think...): love to join you both again. After all, John E - we've only drunk together rather than skied!
Excellent.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're planning to be in 1950 4-18 Jan, and already looking forward to it. We used to be LA regulars, but it's a few years since we've been. The last time we were there, it was free to park at the bottom of the hill in Pre St Esprit. Does anyone know if that's still the case?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chamcham, Sorry the pre st espirit car park has now gone.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chamcham, you are in for a bit of a surprise down there...

there ain't no car park anymore. Couple of nice shiny new lifts, a huge snow store and some picnic rooms / toilets, but cars are not catered for. Sorry 'bout that.

PS:
I hear on the grapevine that they are planning a new hotel at the Charmotteger end of 1800. Anyone else got wind of this one? More over-development or countering the 'cold bed syndrome' that owner occupiers (or perhaps 'non-occupiers') of LA are allegedly driving? (my vote is on the former).
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
I hear on the grapevine that they are planning a new hotel at the Charmotteger end of 1800. Anyone else got wind of this one? More over-development or countering the 'cold bed syndrome' that owner occupiers (or perhaps 'non-occupiers') of LA are allegedly driving? (my vote is on the former).
This one?

https://www.trois-a.org/index.php/2019/10/14/participez-a-lenquete-publique-sur-le-plu-de-landry/
snow report
That's a shame. Two weeks of parking charges in 1950 isn't cheap Crying or Very sad
On the other hand, I've heard the new lifts are good Smile
snow report
A bit too good, I used to like the run down to there and it was often very empty, now its like negotiating the M25 on a Saturday afternoon Sad
latest report
@wills_h, Next you'll be telling me Comborciere has been turned into a nursery slope wink
ski holidays
@Chamcham, It always was, wasn't it? wink
latest report
Is there still reggae on that lift station?
snow conditions
Nope, nor dodgy herbal smells emanating from the lifties hut. Sad times!
ski holidays
Very Happy
ski holidays
@wills_h, oh I don't know. the guys on Comborciere are still slightly out of sync with the modern corporate world of shiny mega-resorts. Perhaps a little more discreet...
snow report
Hi all
We are looking at spending Christmas week (21-28th) in 1950. Would anyone be able to advise on a great restaurant for Christmas lunch / dinner (the full turkey experience!). Also any advise on what’s on / not on / open / not open. And weather in previous years?!
Many thanks
ski holidays
@X5OT76,
Christmas eve is a big street party in the village: Santa on a zip wire, the ussual bizarre French troupes parading, chocolate and verte chaud, dancing, and fireworks. The whole village is out.
On the day everything is open, it's a normal ski day. Weather these past few years has been blue skies, a white Christmas writ in Heaven, amd what every child dreams of.

For the past 3 years and intention again this year, we book our Christmas lunch with Phillipe down at Chalet Pre St Esprit... BUT there is no turkey, it is not a French 'thing'.

(He did promise us one last year, but 'forgot' between our Sept. booking and the madness of opening week). Highly civilised way of spending Xmas day though: ski til 2, eat til 4, genepi 'til last lift, and no TV in sight...

You may be able to get Turkey at Chalets de l'Arc?
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@X5OT76,
Christmas eve is a big street party in the village: Santa on a zip wire, the ussual bizarre French troupes parading, chocolate and verte chaud, dancing, and fireworks. The whole village is out.
On the day everything is open, it's a normal ski day. Weather these past few years has been blue skies, a white Christmas writ in Heaven, amd what every child dreams of.

For the past 3 years and intention again this year, we book our Christmas lunch with Phillipe down at Chalet Pre St Esprit... BUT there is no turkey, it is not a French 'thing'.

(He did promise us one last year, but 'forgot' between our Sept. booking and the madness of opening week). Highly civilised way of spending Xmas day though: ski til 2, eat til 4, genepi 'til last lift, and no TV in sight...

You may be able to get Turkey at Chalets de l'Arc?

Thank you! Sounds like a great way to spend Christmas Very Happy
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, They probably have vapes now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@X5OT76, I'm speaking from the Arc1600 point of view rather than 1950 @Arctic Roll, is the expert there.

Christmas day not a big day in France, Christmas eve is. The skiing, shops, lessons etc will all be open as normal on both days. The resaurants will be very busy and expensive on Christmas eve but slightly quieter on Christmas day (everone getting over excesses of the previous evening). Santa doesn't arrive on a zip wire in 1600 (1600 is much too tradditional for that) but is accomanied down the slope by a torchlight descent of the ski instructors (all in red of course). I do remember a sleigh coming through the village once, but that may be an halluciation caused by too much free vin chaud. I was in the shop at the time collecting my roast chicken.

Turkish dinners are not really a French thing, but you will see portions of dinde in the shops more or less all year round.

Since you are in France why not do things the French way - get your oysters in and get a poulet de Bresse. It is much nicer than the cardboard from American thanksgiving that has replace the tradditional English Christmas lunch.
ski holidays
Looks like we are going to Les Arc this year...............Apartment booked in 1800 Smile It has a car park space allocated with it so I am just deciding on transfers or car rental from Geneva airport.

Will sort flights out today and lift passes as someone mentioned 10% off currently.

Really looking forward to trying out somewhere new, hopefully the snow gods are on our side Smile
snow report
dogsheds wrote:
Looks like we are going to Les Arc this year...............Apartment booked in 1800 Smile It has a car park space allocated with it so I am just deciding on transfers or car rental from Geneva airport.
If there are three of you I don't think there will be much cost difference between the two options, and having a car gives you less hassle with the transfer and the option of getting groceries at valley prices in Bourg St Maurice.

dogsheds wrote:
Will sort flights out today and lift passes as someone mentioned 10% off currently.
I think you have until the end of this month to get the early-bird discount.
ski holidays
Thanks @rob@rar Transfers are coming in at £410 on a mini bus, Bus is £300. Car hire is £250 for a Focus Estate which will be fine for 3 of us, we travel pretty light. Snow chains are not much extra. Probably worth adding the Full Collision Damage Wavier, considering the conditions. Guessing there is no issue driving into France with it if you collect from GVA airport.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 17-10-19 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
dogsheds wrote:
Do the rental cars come with chains?
Where are you hiring from? Swiss side of Geneva? If I'm renting from the Swiss side of GVA I never bother to pre-book winter equipment as all rental cars there come equipped with winter tyres and maybe 60 or 70% of the time come with chains in the car's boot even though you have not paid for them. I've never had to fit chains to a car equipped with winter tyres when driving to Les Arcs, but if you arrive in a major snowstorm there is a possibility that you will need chains to drive to your destination, and the possibility that the local police will stop you on the final approach road if you don't have chains. If I was going to arrive in a big snowstorm I'd probably pay at the car rental desk to ensure I had chains, but if not I normally risk not paying for chains (I've got a small collection of different size chains in my apartment I can use in an emergency).
snow conditions
@dogsheds, I'm just costing out a trip to Les Arcs for the end of January. It is proving very interesting

I'm planning to go out on the 18th and return on the 31st. So first of all flights. Well BHX to Geneva is coming in at good prices, £19 each way. (I'm just going to leave all my gear in Les Arcs) but the timings are looking tricky on the way out.

I may have to pay an extra £23 to get an early flight on the Sunday - getting in to Geneva at 14:45 with the hope of getting the 16:42 to Bourg. Unfortunately that is still too late for the funicular so its a taxi up the mountain! (I think that is even too late for Bensbus which is coming in at £53 one way). Or since I may need a taxi anyway getting the 15:20 flight (£20 for the flight + £31.37 for the train) and trying for a taxi at 01:00 the next morning up the mountain looks the most ecconomic option. Clearly more research is needed on how to get from Bourg st Maurice to Arc 1600. And I am getting too old to sleep on station platforms in the middle of winter.

Getting back by comparison is a doddle: first funicular down to the station, 10:14 train at the princicly price of £23.62, 17:00 flight to BHX at £18.99. Crikey its more expensive to get the train to London.

Anyway anyone got any advice on how to get from Bourg st Maurice to Les Arcs at 01:00?
latest report
Post on the 1st lifts Tarantaise transfers Facebook page, closer to the time you should get an offer or two of a lift
snow conditions
Or there is a new hostel in Bourg you could get a cheap bed for the night and get first funi in morning
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

For a lot of reasons the SuperU in Bourg is my favourite supermarket anywhere Happy

I particularly like the way the trolleys make their own way to the checkout when you're not looking rolling eyes .
latest report
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, I'm looking for a one night stand, sorry, stay in Bourg too - whereabouts is the hostel /it's website?
snow report
Alastair wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I particularly like the way the trolleys make their own way to the checkout when you're not looking rolling eyes .
That’s so bizarre it’s funny! Who on Earth thinks that putting the checkouts on a sloping floor was ever going to be a good idea?
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, I'm looking for a one night stand, sorry, stay in Bourg too - whereabouts is the hostel /it's website?

Here you go: https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/

Hotel & Hostel all rolled into one. The building is finished now and it does look very nice. I'll be there at the start of November (we are supplying them with beer from our brewery) so looking forward to seeing the inside of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy